Well, I was just wondering, if I had anything to receive.
嗯 我 我对经历的一切觉得奇怪
I thought we should come to that. Wemmick!
我们应该放弃这种感觉 维米克
You have been spending pretty freely of late,
匹普先生 你最近已有了相当的开支
and you are in debt, of course?
当然 这都记在债务上了
I’m afraid I must say yes, sir.
恐怕我得说是的 先生
You know you must say yes? Yes, sir.
你必须说是的 不是吗? 是的 先生
Wemmick, hand Mr. Pip that piece of paper.
维米克 把匹普先生的东西拿来
Now, unfold it and tell me what it is.
展开它 告诉我是什么
It is a bank note for £500.
是一张500磅的纸币
That is a bank note for £500.
这张500磅的纸币
At the rate of that handsome sum of money per annum,
是一年的生活开支
and at no higher rate, you are to live until your benefactor appears.
这是一笔很高费用 你要居住在此 直到你的恩人出现
Will it, Will it still be years hence, Mr. Jaggers?
这 这得要多少年? 杰葛先生
When that person discloses,
当那个人出现的时候
you and that person will settle your own affairs.
你和那个人将安顿你们自己的事件
My part of the business will cease.
我的事情也就结束了
That’s all I have to say. Wemmick, show Mr. Pip out.
这就是我要说的全部 维米克 送匹普先生
Thank you, Mr. Jaggers.
谢谢 杰葛先生
My dear Mr. Pip, Mr. Gargery is going to London
亲爱的匹普先生 嘎吉瑞先生正在去伦敦
and would be glad, if you are agreeable, to be allowed to see you.
你应该很高兴吧 你一定乐意他来看你
He would call Tuesday morning at nine o’clock.
星期二早晨九点他会去见你
We talk of you every night,
我们每个夜晚在厨房♥中都谈到你
and wonder what you are saying and doing.
想知道你在说什么做什么
No more, dear Mr. Pip.
不多说了 亲爱的匹普先生
From your ever obliged and affectionate servant, Biddy.
受你恩惠的情深的仆人 比迪
As I watched Joe that Tuesday morning,
我见到乔时 是在星期二的早晨
dressed grotesquely in a new suit,
他穿着一套奇异的新衣服
let me confess, that if I could have kept him away by paying money,
我得承认 如果我可资助他
I certainly would have paid money.
我一定会资助的
In trying to become a gentleman,
在尝试成为一个绅士方面
I had succeeded in becoming a snob.
我已经成功地成为一个势利小人
Joe. How are you, Joe?
乔 你好吗? 乔
Pip. How are you, Pip?
匹普 你好吗 匹普?
Come in, Joe.
请进 乔
Well, Joe, I am glad to see you.
哦 乔 见到你真高兴
Pip, dear old chap,
匹普 亲爱的老伙计
you’ve growed and you’ve swelled and you’ve gentle-folked,
你已经长大了 长大了 你已成为上流人士了
as to be sure you’re an honor to your king and country.
你是国王和国家的荣耀
And you, Joe, look wonderfully well. Give me your hat.
乔 你看起来令人惊奇 给我帽子
Oh, Herbert, this is Mr. Joe Gargery. Joe, Mr. Herbert Pocket.
赫伯特 这是乔嘎吉瑞先生 乔 这是赫伯特·博盖特先生
How do you do, Mr. Gargery? Your servant, sir.
你好 嘎吉瑞先生 你的仆人 先生
Won’t you sit down? Thank you kindly, sir.
你不坐下? 谢谢 先生
Will you take tea or coffee, Mr. Gargery?
茶还是咖啡? 嘎吉瑞先生
Thank you kindly, sir.
哦 谢谢 先生
I’ll take whichever is most agreeable to yourself.
无论哪样对自己都是愉快的
What do you say to coffee? Thank you kindly, sir.
你说咖啡怎样? 谢谢你 先生
Since you are so good as to make choice of coffee,
因为你精选的咖啡好及了
I’ll not run contrary to your opinions, but don’t you find that rather heating?
我和你有同感 但你不觉得咖啡太浓吗?
Say tea, then.
用茶吧
If Mr. Gargery will excuse me,
匹普 嘎吉瑞先生 对不起
I will go down to fetch the morning’s letters.
我要下去到门房♥那取早晨的信
Thank you kindly, sir.
谢谢你 先生
Us two being now alone, sir… Joe, how can you call me “sir”?
现在只有我们俩了 先生… 乔 你怎么称我是先生?
Us two being now alone, Pip,
现在只有我们俩了 匹普
I will mention what have led to me having the present honor.
我要说我现有的一切是怎样来的
Miss Havisham have recently sent for me.
是哈维夏姆小姐最近送给我的
Miss Havisham, Joe?
哈维夏姆小姐? 乔
“Would you tell Mr. Pip,” she said,
她说”你告诉匹普先生”
“that I wish to see him at once,
“我想立刻见到他
“for I have something most particular to disclose to him.”
因为我有很多事要对他说”
I see.
我知道了
Well, I have now concluded, sir, and Pip,
好吧 匹普
I wish you ever well and ever prospering to a greater and greater height.
我非常但愿你 永远成功 步步登高
But you are not going now, Joe?
你现在不要走 乔?
Yes, I am. You’ll be coming back to dinner?
我得走了 好吧 回来晚餐?
Oh, no, Pip, old chap.
哦 不 匹普 老伙计
You and me is not two figures to be together in London.
在伦敦 你我是两种不同的身份
I’m wrong in these clothes, Pip.
我穿这些衣服是不合适的 匹普
I’m wrong out of the forge and out of the kitchen, off the marshes.
离开熔炉 厨房♥ 沼泽是个错误
But Joe…
但 乔…
You won’t find half so much fault with me
你没见到的过失还很多
if you think of me as Joe the blacksmith.
若你有乔一样的想法 你会赞同的
And so…
好了…
God bless you, dear old Pip, old chap.
上帝祝福你 亲爱匹普 老伙计
God bless you.
上帝祝福你
All that day, Joe’s simple dignity filled me with reproach.
那一整天 乔的简单的尊严使我充满了责备。
And next morning I began the journey to our town,
隔天早晨 我去我们的城镇
knowing that I should sleep that night at the forge.
我应该在熔炉旁睡眠
But as the miles went by,
但只是经过而已
I became less convinced of this,
我成为比较少的信服者
and invented reasons and excuses for not doing so.
我在找怎会这样的理由和借口
Joe, Pip’s here.
乔 匹普在这里
Oh, we didn’t expect you, Pip.
哦 没料到是你 匹普
Pip, your bed’s not ready.
匹普 你的床还没准备好
We thought for certain you’d be staying in the town.
我们想你会留在镇上
You must stay in the town.
你一定会留在镇上
Gentlemen always stay at the Blue Boar.
绅士总是留在蓝柏旅店
Blue Boar, Rochester.
蓝柏旅店 罗彻斯特
All other swindlers upon earth are nothing to the self-swindlers.
世上所有其他的骗子 不能与我这骗子相比
And with such pretences did I cheat myself.
诸如此类的借口只可欺骗我自己
Surely a curious thing.
这确是一件奇怪的事物
Come in, Pip.
进来 匹普
How do you do? How do you do, Miss Havisham?
你好 你好 哈维夏姆小姐
You kiss my hand as if I were a queen.
你吻我的手 好像我是皇后
Well?
啊?
I thought that you were so kind as to wish to see me, Miss Havisham.
我认为你很亲切 哈维夏姆小姐
Well?
啊?
Estella!
埃斯特拉
Well, Pip?
好吧 匹普
Estella, this is an unexpected pleasure.
真是料想不到的快乐
I didn’t think to find you here.
我没有想到你在这里
You two must have a lot to say to each other.
你们俩有很多话要对彼此说吧
Go out into the garden, both of you, and walk and talk together.
你们俩去花♥园♥ 一起散散步
I must have been a strange little creature to hide and watch you fight that day.
我是奇怪的小人 打架那天我就偷偷注视你
But I did and I enjoyed it very much.
那是非常愉快的享受
You rewarded me very much. Did I?
你赏赐了我 是吗?
Don’t you remember?
你不记得吗?
I remember I entertained a great objection to your opponent.
我记得我欣赏你给对手一个很棒的一击
I took it ill that he be brought here to pester me.
他来这里使我烦恼
He and I are great friends now. Are you?
他和我现在是很要好的朋友 你是吗?
I imagine since your change of fortune you have changed your companions.
我想从那以后你转运了 你自然改变了你的朋友
Oh, yes, naturally.
哦 是的
Remember the first time I came here? The time you made me cry?
你记得吗? 第一次我来这里 你使我哭的时候?
Did I? I don’t remember.
我吗? 不记得
Not remember you made me cry?
不记得你使我哭?
You meant nothing to me, why should I remember?
你对我什么也不在意 我为什么应该记得?
You must know, Pip, I have no heart.
你必须知道 匹普 我这人没感情
Perhaps that’s why I have no memory.
也许那就是为什么我没有记忆
No one looking at you could believe that.
没有任何人会相信
Oh, I have a heart to be stabbed at or shot at, but you know what I mean.
哦 我的心可以刺 可以打击 你知道这意谓着什么
There’s no sympathy there, no softness, no sentiment.
这意谓着没同情 不温柔 无情感
If we are to be thrown much together you had better believe that at once.
若我们一直在一起 你就会相信的
I can’t believe it, Estella.
我不相信 埃斯特拉
Very well. It’s said, at any rate.
很好 无论如何我可都说了
But remember how I have been brought up
但我记得我是如何长大的
and don’t expect too much of me.
不要对我有太多的期待
Come, Pip.
嗨 匹普
You shall not shed tears for my cruelty today.
你不要为我今天的残酷流泪
We’ll go just once more round the garden and then go in.
我们只是在花♥园♥散步 回去吧
Miss Havisham will be expecting you at your old post.
哈维夏姆小姐还要你去推她呢

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!