Is she beautiful,
她美丽
graceful, well-grown?
优美 健康 是吗?
Do you admire her, Pip? Everyone must who sees her.
你赞美她吗 匹普? 谁见到她 都会赞美
She is going to London soon and you shall meet her there.
她很快会去伦敦 你会在那见到她
I shall be the happiest man in London, Miss Havisham.
在伦敦我将是最幸福的男人 哈维夏姆小姐
Love her.
去爱她
If she favors you, love her.
如果她爱你 爱她吧
If she tears your heart to pieces, love her.
如果她打动你的心 去爱她吧
I adopted her to be loved. I developed her into…
我收养她是叫人爱她 我使她成为…
As punctual as ever, Jaggers.
很准时 杰葛
As punctual as ever.
很准时
How do you do, Pip? And what are you doing here?
你好 匹普 你在此干嘛?
Miss Havisham wished me to see Estella, Mr. Jaggers.
哈维夏姆小姐要我来见埃斯特拉 杰葛先生
A fine young lady.
一位年轻淑女
Shall I give you a ride, Miss Havisham?
我来推你吧 哈维夏姆小姐
Once round?
推一周
A very fine young lady, Pip.
一位完美的年轻淑女 匹普
Estella! Pip.
埃斯特拉 匹普
How nice to see you, Estella.
见到你真是太好了 埃斯特拉
Miss Havisham taught me there are two Richmonds,
这是哈维夏姆小姐的安排 有两个高级旅馆
one in Surrey and one in Yorkshire. Mine is the Surrey Richmond.
一个在约克 一个在萨里 我去萨里
The distance is ten miles and you are to take me there. My purse.
有10英里 你得带我去 这是我的钱包
No. No, take it.
不 我有 不 你必须拿着
We are not free to follow our own devices.
你我别无选择 只有按吩咐办
The carriage is ordered,
马车已安排好了
for half an hour from now and tea is ordered.
半个小时后出发 先去喝茶吧 在那等半小时
Does that please, m’lady? The tea will please her greatly.
那就请吧 我的小姐 茶一定会使她很高兴
Why are you going to Richmond?
你为什么去高级旅馆 埃斯特拉?
I am going to live, at a great expense,
我要居住在很高费用的地方
with a lady there who has the power of taking me about and introducing me,
有能力的人就会去那 也就是说她有
and showing people to me, and showing me to people.
要让人们接受我 引介我 关注我 而我也会向人们炫耀
You’ll have a gay time and be admired. You must look forward to that.
你会得到人们的赞美 你看起来很前卫 埃斯特拉
It’s part of Miss Havisham’s plan.
这是哈维夏姆小姐为我计划的 匹普
I shan’t take pleasure in events which I don’t shape,
我不乐意的事我是不会去做的
but I shall be beautiful and gay, I shall be obedient
我会很美丽 很快乐
and I shall write regularly of my gaiety.
而且我会孝顺 并会把我的愉快记下来
Will you always be part of Miss Havisham’s plan, Estella?
你总是哈维夏姆小姐的计划吗? 埃斯特拉
Do you thrive with Mr. Pocket, Pip?
你不也是和博盖特先生在一起? 匹普
Yes, indeed.
是 的确
We’ve left Barnard’s Inn and moved to the Temple.
我们已经离开巴纳德 搬到坦普尔了
Oh?
哦?
I live quite pleasantly there, at least…
我在那居住很好 至少…
At least?
至少?
As pleasantly as I could anywhere…
在任何地方我都很愉快…
away from you.
只要不远离你
All summer I saw a great deal of Estella and I was very happy.
整个夏天 我都见到埃斯特拉 我非常快乐
Until I realized, somewhat uncomfortably,
直到我了解 才感到略有不适
that she had many admirers.
她有了许多钦佩者
It was not until the winter,
还没到冬天
that fate threw her in the way of Bentley Drummle.
命运把她引向 庄默
Are you tired, Estella? Rather, Pip.
你很疲累 埃斯特拉? 有点 匹普
You should be. Say rather I should not be,
你应该很累 有点 不是很累 匹普
for I still have my letter to Miss Havisham to write.
睡前我要给哈维夏姆小姐写信
Recounting tonight’s triumph? Surely a very poor one, Estella.
详述今晚的成功? 这很乏味 埃斯特拉
I don’t know what you mean. Have there been any?
我不知道你指什么 我也没兴趣知道
Lords, ladies and gentlemen! This is our dance, Estella.
勋爵们 女士们 先生们 这是我们的舞会 埃斯特拉
Pray take your places for the next dance.
请为下一个舞选择舞伴 开始吧
Estella, look at Drummle.
埃斯特拉 你瞧庄默
He never takes his eyes off you.
他的眼睛没离开过你
Why should I look at him?
我为什么要瞧他?
Is there anything I need to look at?
庄默有何事值得我注意?
That’s what I want to ask you.
我想要问你此问题呢
He’s been hovering about you for weeks.
他在你身边已周♥旋♥了数星期
Moths and all sorts of ugly creatures hover about a lighted candle.
飞蛾和各种小虫都爱围着蜡光盘旋
Can the candle help it?
蜡光会款待它们吗?
My lords, ladies and gentlemen,
勋爵们 女士们 先生们
pray take your partners for the Spanish polka.
请为西班牙波尔卡舞选择舞伴
Everybody dislikes him, you must know that.
每个人都讨厌他 你一定知道
There’s nothing to recommend him but money and ridiculous ancestors.
他除了钱之外没有别的 是一个荒谬可笑的傻瓜
It makes me wretched to see you encourage him.
你怂恿他令我伤心
Does it?
是吗?
You give him looks and smiles such as you never give to me.
你给他使眼和微笑 你从来没这样对我
Do you want me then to deceive and entrap you?
你想要我欺骗你 作弄你?
Do you deceive and entrap him? Yes, and many others.
你在欺骗他 作弄他 埃斯特拉? 对 还有其他人
All of them but you.
所有男人 但不包括你
Who do you want? Mr. Pip.
你找谁? 匹普先生
I am Mr. Pip. What’s your business?
我就是 你有什么事?
My business?
什么事?
Ah, yes, I’ll explain my business, by your leave.
啊 是的 我进去解释 好吗
Do you, Do you wish to come in?
你 你要进来吗?
Yes, I wish to come in, master.
是的 少爷
Now perhaps you will explain your visit.
现在也许你可解释你的来意?
It’s disappointing after having looked forward,
期望将来对男人来说是令人失望
so distant and come so far.
这么久了 现在终究见到
Ah, but you’re not to blame for that. What do you mean?
但你不应为此受责 你指的是什么?
I’ll speak in half a minute.
我在半分钟内将会说明
Give me half a minute, please.
给我半分钟
There’s no one nigh, is there?
这里没旁人吧?
Why do you ask that question?
问这干嘛?
Ah, you’re a game ‘un.
哦 你是个有胆识的人
I’m glad you growed up a game ‘un.
长大了 还是个有胆识的人
Now I know who you are. The churchyard.
现在我知道你是谁 墓地
The churchyard on the marshes. You’re the convict I gave the food to.
沼泽上的墓地 你是囚犯 我送食物给你
You acted nobly, my boy. Noble, Pip, and I’ve never forgot it.
我孩子 高贵的匹普 你崇高的品质我决不会忘记
If you’re grateful for what I did as a child,
若你为我儿时所做的事来感谢我
and you’ve come to thank me for it, there’s no need.
为此而特意来就没有必要
However, since you’ve found me out, will you drink something before you go?
既然你来了 走前喝点什么?
Yes, I will drink, I thank you, before I go.
谢谢你 我走前喝点酒吧
I hope you won’t think that I spoke harshly to you just now.
我希望你不要认为我刚刚说得严重
I had no intention of doing it, and I’m sorry for it if I did.
我没有这么认为 如果我那么 我为此感到抱歉
I wish you well and happy.
愿你健康 快乐
How have you been living?
你现在生活如何?
I’ve been a sheep farmer, away in the new world, in New South Wales.
在新南威尔士 我有一个牧羊场
I hope you’ve done well. I’ve done wonderful well.
希望你过得好 令人惊奇地好
I’m famous for it. I’m very glad to hear it.
我很出名 我非常高兴听到的
I hoped to hear you say so, dear boy,
我希望听你这么说
but you’ve done well too, eh?
你也过得好 对吗?
Yes, I’ve done quite well.
是的 相当好
May I make so bold as to ask how you’ve done well
我冒昧地问一下你如何过得这么好
since you and me was out on those lone, shivering marshes?
你我在那荒凉的沼泽分手后
How? How?
如何? 如何?
Yes, I’ve been chosen to succeed to some property.
是的 我被指定继承一些财产
Might a mere varmint ask what property?
什么财产?
I don’t know.
我不知道
Might a mere varmint ask whose property?
谁的财产?
I don’t know.
我不知道
Could I make a guess at your income since you come of age?
我来猜猜你到法定年龄后的收入
As to the first figure now. Five?
至于第一个数吗 是5?
Concerning a guardian.
关于监护人
There ought to have been a guardian or such like when you were a minor.
当你未成年时 应该有个监护人
Some lawyer, maybe?
也许是律师
As to the first letter of that lawyer’s name now…
至于此人名字的第一个字母 现在…
would it be J?
它会是”J”吗?
As the employer of that lawyer whose name began with J,
那一位律师的名字 由”J”开头
and might be Jaggers…
可能是杰葛…
I wrote from Portsmouth to a person in London
我写信给伦敦的一个人
for particulars of your address.
得到你详细住址
That person’s name?
那个人的叫?
Why, Wemmick!
什么 维米克
Yes, Pip, dear boy, I made a gentleman of you.
对 匹普 亲爱的孩子 我使你成为了一个绅士

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!