Steve…
我没什么好说的
There’s no punch line.
只是很佩服你俩的本事 你和法科
Yeah, I was just admiring your know-how, yours and Falco’s.
干嘛老把我和他 放一起说事儿
Why do you keep coupling me with Falco?
他为什么要在这儿
Why is he here?
告诉我 先生 你觉得他死后是上天堂还是下地狱
When he dies, do you think he’ll go to the dog-and-cat heaven?
就别提这种天堂地狱的鬼话了
Look, let’s forget about dogs and cats and all that pseudo-literary junk.
打开天窗说亮话
I’m gonna lay it right on the line.
今天下午 在我办公室算怎么回事
What about that ruckus in my office this afternoon?
你也在的 弗兰克 照达拉斯这圣人的说法…
You were there, Frank, where, according to St. Dallas here…
埃维尔的诽谤文章是杰哥的安排
J.J. was responsible for the Elwell smear!
别发疯 希尼
Don’t go wild, Sidney.
发疯 你看看他们 告诉我谁疯
Wild? Take a look at them and tell me who’s wild.
怎么回事
What about it?
史蒂夫当时过于激动 他不是那个意思…
Steve was overexcited. He didn’t mean…
-杰哥 -我…
-J.J. -Look I was…
都给我闭嘴
Quiet, all of you!
苏茜 坐下 事情还没弄清
Susie, sit down. This requires investigation.
那你是什么意思
Well, how did you mean it?
快说快说 我等着呢
Well, come on, come on. I’m waiting.
我不需要你和法科来 教我大道理
Look, I don’t take kindly to you and Falco teaching me ethics.
现在受害者是谁 你吗
Who’s the injured party here? You?
现在你无权提问 而且你的讽刺…
Right now, you have no right to ask questions, and your snide…
等等 我还没把惩罚的权力交给你
Wait a minute! I haven’t handed over punishing privileges to you yet!
先别急着教训人 也许那样我会尊重你所说的
Just lay the whip down. Maybe I’ll respect what you’re saying.
-史蒂夫 -闭嘴
-Steve -Shut up!
苏茜 你知道他这些指控吗
Susie, did you know about this accusation?

No.
在你走之前 小子…
Before you leave, son…
我回答你的问题
I’ll answer your question…
苏茜·汉塞克才是受害者
Susan Hunsecker’s the injured party here.
接下来你是不是想告诉我
Or perhaps next you’ll be telling me
我不关心自己的妹妹
I don’t have my sister’s welfare at heart.
汉塞克先生 您的确不是省油的灯
Mr. Hunsecker, you’ve got more twists than a barrel of pretzels.
听见没 苏茜
Did you hear that, Susie?
请继续
Continue, please.
我跟他们无法相处 就这样
Well, I can’t cope with them, that’s all.
你太过精明了 所以我只能说句真心话
You’re too shrewd for me, so I’ll just be honest.
苏茜和我相爱 我们想结婚
Susie and I are in love. We want to get married.
那就信他吧 这小子恨得都这么来劲
Give him credit. The boy’s gall is gorgeous.
为何不听听苏茜想说什么
Why don’t we hear what Susie has to say?
你是有种 达拉斯…
That’s stout of you, Dallas…
或许苏茜不想当众说出她想法
but perhaps Susie may not care to air her views in public.
苏茜
Susie?
苏茜和往常一样 想说什么都行
Susie, as always, is free to say anything she wants.
说吧 说出你的心里话
Go on, dear. Say exactly what’s on your mind, dear.
你话里有刺
Those “dears” sound like daggers.
-别再逼她了 -你想做什么
-Why don’t you stop daring her to speak? -What are you trying to do?
我想让苏茜挺身对抗你
I’m trying to get Susie to stand up to you,
但你有意威吓 让她不敢讲话
but your manner is so threatening, she’s afraid to speak!
-小子 你再跟我这么喊叫 -拜托你们…
-Son, you raise your voice once more -Please, please st…!
-哥 能不能…-对不起 苏茜
-J.J., can’t you… -I’m sorry, Susie.
好吧 天色已晚 今天只能到此为止
Well, son, it looks like we may have to call this game on account of darkness.
要是眼神能杀人 我已经死了
If looks could kill, I’d be dead.
我才不在乎你
No, I don’t care about you.
如果还有机会 我只关心苏茜…
My whole interest, if it’s not too late, is in Susie…
以及怎么弥补你对她的伤害
and how to undo what you’ve done to her.
我除了最近没给她买♥♥大衣 到底怎么她了
And what have I done to her except not buy her a new fur coat lately?
你是对的 希尼 这小子真是个人物
You were right, Sidney. This boy is a dilly!
为什么 就因我不喜你那种 戏耍别人的方式
Why? Because I don’t like the way you toy with people?
不喜你那轻蔑与恶毒
Your contempt and malice?
对不起 弗兰克 你心里只有自己和你的专栏
I’m sorry, Frank. You think about yourself and about your column.
你以为自己是国家的光荣…
T-To you, you’re some kind of a, a national glory…
但对许多像我这样的人来说
but to me and a lot of people like me…
你那些虚伪的丑闻 和虚假的爱国主义…
your slimy scandal and your phony patriotics…
在我看来 你是国家的耻辱
To me, Mr. Hunsecker, you’re a national disgrace.
小子 我这高射炮 不屑用来打蚊子
Son, I don’t relish shooting mosquitoes with elephant guns.
不如你就知趣点 今天就到此为止吧
Suppose you just shuffle along and call it a day.
我跟苏茜的事还没完
But my day with Susie isn’t over yet.
你又没死 急什么
Here’s your head. What’s your hurry?
你成功了 杰哥 干得漂亮
You did it, J.J. You did it good.
苏茜 如果你再敢见那小子…
Susie, I’d have to take it very much amiss…
我会非常生气
if you ever saw that boy again.
我不会再见他了
I’ll never see him again.
玛丽 打这个号♥码找范·克里夫 和他说他是对的
Mary, call Van Cleve at this number. Tell him I said he was right.
达拉斯小子不配待在他的俱乐部
Those Dallas boys are not worthy of his club.
-出租车 -苏茜
-Taxi! -Susie.
苏茜
Susiel

Ow!
汉塞克先生 这个要亲手交给您本人
Mr. Hunsecker, this was to be delivered to you personally.
-酒怎么没冰过 -您之前吩咐放在桌上的
-This drink is warm. -You said you like to have ’em at the table, sir.
-用你指手画脚 -我去换
-What are you, a critic? -I’ll change ’em.
算了 算了
Forget it, forget it.
差点就演变成闹剧 真正的闹剧
We’re on the verge of a farce, a real farce.
依我看 如果苏茜坚决站在他一边
As I see it, if Susie woulda stood behind him today,
那他还真是个威胁
he might’ve proved a threat.
可既然他选择对工作忠贞 那这就没他份儿了
But since primarily he’s wedded to his work, he’s not gonna be able to take it.
别搅和了 那些山葵不会跑的
Stop tinkering, pal. That horseradish won’t jump a fence.
简而言之 都结束了 那小子随时会放弃她
In brief, J.J., it’s all over, because any hour now, that boy will give her up.
真是场闹剧 是不是
Now, is it a farce, or is it?
希尼 你的甜言蜜语…
Sidney, this syrup you’re giving out with…
留着自己享用 别想蒙我
you pour over waffles, not J.J. Hunsecker.
你以为那小子这就会放弃我妹妹
What do you mean, this lousy kid’ll give up my sister?
谁的妹妹无所谓 总之他们成不了了
How does it matter whose sister? The main thing is that they’re through.
我的意思是…
I mean that, uh, uh…
难道要我忘了 他今天怎么跟我说话的
Am I supposed to forget how that kid talked to me today?
杰哥 他这种人值得您一般见识吗
J.J., is he worthy of a second glance from a man like you? I mean that…
瞧瞧这个
Bite on this.
船票
Steamship tickets?
下一班玛丽号♥ 苏茜正情绪消沉
The next sailing of the Mary. Susie’s run down.
这样挺好
That’s good.
能让苏茜远离那小子
Now that louse is outta Susie’s hair for good.
我要他被大卸八块
I want that boy taken apart.
杰哥 干嘛要…
J.J., why do something…
做这种可能让他们重归于好的事呢
that’s gonna drive them right back into each other’s arms?
我知道怎么处理苏茜 你…
I know how to handle Susie. You just…
你对付那小子就行了
You just handle the boy.
最好就今晚
Preferably tonight.
怎么一定要今天 明天就不行吗
What’s tomorrow, a holiday?
今晚去找哈里凯洛
你那个胖警♥察♥朋友
Your fat cop friend.
我得回去了 也许我的幽默感落家里了
I think I’m going home. Maybe I left my sense of humor in my other suit.
老天赐你的脑瓜 希尼 多用用它
You’ve got a God-given brain, Sidney. Use it.
你认为这是私人恩怨
You think this is a personal thing with me?
你觉得我是出于个人利益做这事
Are you telling me I think of this in terms of personal pique?
你今天没看那小子公然践踏…
Don’t you see that today that boy wiped his feet on the choice…
全世界最伟大国家
and the predilections of 60 million men and women…
六千万公民的选择
in the greatest country in the world?
要是你还有道德感 就会明白…
If you had any morals yourself, you’d understand the immorality…
他站在了正义的对立面
of that boy’s stand today.
他批评的不是我 是我的读者
It wasn’t me he criticized. It was my readers.
别忙着过河拆桥
Don’t remove the gangplank, Sidney.
给自己留条后路
You may wanna get back on board.
杰哥 被你套上项圈我还能接受
J.J., it’s one thing to wear your dog collar.
但要是变成枷锁 那我宁愿要回自♥由♥
When it turns into a noose, I’d rather have my freedom.
囚犯总是希望自♥由♥的
The man in jail is always for freedom.
-可恕我冒犯 我不是囚犯 -你就是 希尼
-Except, if you’ll excuse me, J.J., I’m not in jail. -You’re in jail, Sidney.
你被囚禁在自己的恐惧
You’re a prisoner of your own fears,
贪婪和野心中 不得自♥由♥
your own greed and ambition. You’re in jail.
醒醒吧 短视鬼 这是我的底线
You’re blind, Mr. Magoo. This is the crossroads for me.
我不会去找凯洛 就算你让我上天堂
I won’t get Kello. Not for a lifetime pass to the Polo Grounds.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!