Whole lot easier getting him off. All right, what’s it gonna be?
为他辩护会很容易 好吧 怎么办?
Well, I haven’t got any dough. This way.
怎么办? 我一分钱都没有 走这边
Say, do you give any credit around here? Sure we do.
在这里可以借我点信用吗? 当然可以
You get 60 days to pay. This way. Come on.
你可以在60天内付钱 走这边 走吧
Well…
好吧…
So long, Eddie. I’ll see you in September.
再见 艾迪 我们九月见
Shut up! That won’t help.
住嘴! 没有用的
I tried it.
我试过了
This ain’t no jail, it’s a madhouse.
这不是监狱 这是个疯人院
Have you been a soldier? Yeah.
你当过兵吗? 当过
How do you know? I been one too.
你怎么知道的? 我也当过
We all got the stamp on us. We can’t sit still.
我们有着相同的印记 我们没办法安静地坐着
We’ve seen too much action, too much blood.
我们经历了太多的战斗 太多的血
They think after that we can just sit and twiddle our thumbs. We can’t.
他们认为经历了那些之后我们可以坐下来 把玩手指头 根本不可能
What are you in for? Stickup with a gun.
你怎么进来的? 持枪抢劫
Things got too tough.
生活太难了
If they’d just give me back that gun, I’d use it…
他们要是把枪还给我 我就…
…on myself.
…把它用在我自己身上
Come on, grab yourself some sense. Don’t talk that way.
别这样 理智点 别这样说
Hey, Bartlett. Yeah?
嗨 巴利特 怎么啦?
Step out.
出来
Your friend here paid your fine. Danny boy, glad to see you.
你的朋友为你交了罚金 丹尼我的哥们 很高兴见到你
Glad to see you. So long, buddy.
见到你很高兴 再见了 伙计
And get rid of those silly notions.
不要有那些愚蠢的想法了
So long.
再见
It’s good to get out of that rathole. Haven’t slept in three nights.
能离开那个老鼠洞真好 有三个晚上没睡好了
Where’d you get the dough? I didn’t.
你从哪儿弄到的钱? 我没有
Hello, buster.
你好 坏小子
Just the gal I wanted to see.
是这位女士要见你
Got a few things I want to say to you. Of all the double-crossing…
我还有些话要跟你说呢 在所有的骗子里…
She paid the fine. I didn’t walk out.
她付了罚金 我没有甩了你不管
I just had to rustle up the dough.
我只是想尽快弄到钱而已
You’ll get it back, if I have to give it in nickels and dimes.
我会还你的 哪怕是一分一毛的还
I can wait.
我可以等的
What’s your angle, sister?
你有什么主意吗 大姐?
What bank do you want me to rob? Who do you want killed?
你建议我去抢劫哪一家银行? 或者杀哪个家伙?
Which do you want first?
先做哪一项?
First, let’s have a drink.
首先 我们去喝一杯
Hop in the cab. I’ll drive you.
上车 我载你们去
Taxi. Just a minute. Business before pleasure.
出租车 等一下 生意优先
See you later, Eddie. Get that room rent.
呆会见 艾迪 记得弄些房♥租
Where to, mister? Any Turkish bath.
上哪 先生? 任何土耳其浴场
Right. Get in there.
好 上车吧
Going to do a little painting?
要做些粉刷吗?
Yeah, sort of. A little interior decoration.
对 差不多 一些内部装♥修♥之类的
How are you, Panama? Hello, Charlie.
你好 巴娜玛 你好 查里
This is Eddie Bartlett. How are you?
这是艾迪·巴利特 你好
What’ll it be, Panama? Gin Buck.
要点什么 巴娜玛? 琴巴克
What’s yours?
你要点什么?
Glass of milk.
一杯牛奶
You always order milk when you go to a speakeasy?
你上地下酒吧的时候总是要杯牛奶吗?
I don’t go into speakeasies.
我不去地下酒吧
Well, some people like spinach.
怎么说呢 有些人喜欢菠菜
Say, you’ve got something on your mind. What’s the gag?
你心里有事 到底什么阴谋?
There’s no gag.
没有什么阴谋
I think you’re a pretty decent guy.
我觉得你是个挺有风度的男人
I like to talk to decent guys.
我喜欢跟有风度的男人聊天
They’re hard to find.
他们可是稀世珍宝了
All right, let’s talk.
好吧 我们聊天
Things have been tough, haven’t they? They could be tougher.
世道艰难了 是吧? 我还算好的
A guy in the cell with me wanted to bump himself off.
跟我同牢的哥们还想要了结自己呢
Till I get around to that, I’m doing all right.
在走到这一步之前 我都算过得好的
Milk. That’s all I got.
牛奶 就剩这些了
Here we go again.
又来了
I hope he thinks to sample what’s in my glass.
我希望他想要化验我这杯子里的东西
Hey, who owns the car with the Vermont license on it?
喂 谁是挂了佛蒙特车牌的车子的主人?
I do.
是我
Don’t you know you’re breaking the law parking your car in front of a fire hydrant?
你不知道把车泊在救火水龙头前是违法的吗?
Where do you think you are, in a little hick town?
你以为这是哪里 乡下小镇?
If you weren’t from out of town, I’d give you a ticket.
你要是不是从城里来的 我非给你一张罚款不可
Get out there and move it. Sorry, officer. I’ll move it right away.
出去移车 对不起 警官 我马上就去移车
Hey, Joe.
嗨 乔
Come on, let’s sit down.
走 我们过去坐吧
See, buster, it’s easy. All you gotta do is pay off.
看见了吗 坏小子 很容易 你只要付账就行
With what? Sucker money.
拿什么付? 便宜钱啊
Ever since Prohibition, it’s been floating around, waiting to get picked up.
自从禁酒之后 这些便宜钱就满地都是 等着人去捡呢
Now, a bright guy like you… Look, will you stop conning me?
而你这样的聪明蛋… 你别玩我了好不好?
Tell me what goes on. Right now.
告诉我你到底想干什么 现在就说
You’ve been nice. You took a rap I couldn’t afford. It would’ve put me out of business.
你对我有恩 你承担了我无法承受的处罚 那可是会让我身败名裂的
I’d hate to see someone like you banging his head against a stone wall.
我不喜欢看到你这样的一个男人四处碰壁
The liquor business is gonna grow big, and it’s gonna grow fast.
这个酒水生意会越来越大 而且会迅速成长
So get in line, buster. Hack drivers are a dime a dozen.
所以要尽快赶上趟 坏小子 开出租车没有前途
But you gotta know people. I know people.
但是你得认识人啊 我认识人
It takes money. I can get it, if you start small.
也要花钱 如果你从小生意做起 我可以搞到钱
Tell me.
告诉我
What’s in this for you? What’s your take?
你有什么好处? 你要得到什么?
Nothing.
什么都不要
That story about the guy in the cell was a sad one.
牢里那个家伙的故事很让人难过
I’d hate to have somebody tell me that about you.
我不希望你也有相似的故事发生
Why?
为什么?
I once knew a soldier like you who went to France.
我曾经认识一个你这样去过法国的士兵
He never came back.
他没有能回来
I never got over it.
我无法从那次事件中恢复过来
That’s why.
这就是为什么
Is that all of it?
就这个?
If you don’t like that story, I’ll try to think of another one.
如果你不喜欢这个故事 我可以试着另找一个
It’ll do for now.
先将就吧
And so the Eddie of this story joins the thousands and thousands…
这样本故事中的艾迪就这样加入了成千上万的…
… of other Eddies throughout America.
美国各地的其他艾迪之中
He becomes a part of a criminal army, an army that was born of a marriage…
他成为一支犯罪大军的一员 一支发源于…
… between an unpopular law and an unwilling public.
一部不受欢迎的法律对民♥意♥的强♥奸♥
Liquor is the password in this army.
酒就是这支军队的口令
And it’s a magic password that spells the dollar sign as it spreads from city to city…
这是个有魔力的口令 伴随着的是滚滚而来的金钱 从一个城市蔓延到另一个城市
… from state to state.
从一个州蔓延到另一个州
The public is beginning to look upon the bootlegger as an adventuresome hero…
公众开始视私酒走私者为充满冒险色彩的英雄
… a modern crusader who deals in bottles instead of battles.
一些在酒瓶重而不是硝烟中征战的英雄
And so, because of the grotesque situation…
所以 因为这种可笑的情形
… this new kind of army grows and grows…
这种新型的军队迅速发展起来
… always gaining new recruits who care nothing about tomorrow…
亡命之徒招之即来
… just so long as money is easy today.
就像这种便宜钱一样容易
I’ll take two dozen of those.
我要两打
Got a little bad news for you, Eddie. Yeah? What?
艾迪 有些坏消息 是吗? 什么消息?
Little price hike. It’s up a dollar a bottle from here in.
要涨点价 从现在开始每瓶涨价一元
Oh, you don’t say. No kidding.
哦 住嘴 别闹了
Well, you’re not gonna make a sucker out of me.
你别把我当白♥痴♥了
I can make this tiger-sweat myself. I’ve got a bathtub too.
我自己就可以做这种东西了 我家里也有的是浴缸呢
Come on, Danny.
走吧 丹尼
So long, fellas.
再见了 伙计们
This is the real stuff. They can’t fool me.
这是真货 他们骗不了了我
1922.
1922年
By now, the Prohibition law is firmly a part of American life…
到现在 禁酒法已经成为美国人生活的一部分
… but so is the evasion of that law.
违反此法也同时成为美国人生活的一部分
College students, male and female…
大学生 无论男女,
… and even high-school boys and girls who never drank before…
甚至从未喝过酒的正上高中的男女孩子
… find themselves willing and able to buy hard liquor with the greatest of ease.
也愿意而且能够轻易地买♥♥到酒了
The hip flask becomes an integral part of the national scene…
这种方型贴片酒壶已经成为全国流行的一大景观
… at football games, in automobiles.
在橄榄球赛上 车子里 到处可见
In the meanwhile, the supply of good alcohol…
同时 优质酒水的供应
… fails to keep up with the ever-increasing demand for liquor.
已经跟不上不断增长的需求
But in the undercover liquor industry, crude stills make their appearance.
但是在地下酒工业里 粗制滥造的酒料开始登场

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!