Burden. Hey, Jack Burden!
波顿 杰克·波顿
The boss wants to see you.
老板要见你
Hey, Jack, ever hear of a fellow called Willie Stark?
杰克 有没有听过威利·史塔克?
No. Who’d he shoot?
没有 他是谁?
Looks like it’ll be the other way around if he keeps it up.
他最近又在活动了 很有一套
He’s really got the boys in the Kanoma County courthouse worried.
他很能让市政务委员会烦恼
A politician, huh? What’s he running for?
政♥治♥家? 他这次又想要争什么?
Oh, county, uh, treasurer or something like that.
郡财政局长之类的
What’s so special about him?
这次有何特别之处?
They say he’s an honest man.
大家都说他是个诚实的人
What I want you to do is to hop into your car…
我要你做的就是上车去那里…
You promised me a vacation. Oh, that can wait.
但你答应要给我休假的 你可以等以后
Yeah, but there’s a girl I know… Oh.
这边有位我的朋友… 哦
Well, she can wait too.
她也可以等
The question is, can I?
问题是我不能等?
And the answer is, get up there.
答案是 起来回去工作
Right.
好吧
Oh, um, what’d you say his name was? Hmm?
你说他叫什么名字? 嗯?
The fella’s name. Oh, the, um…
那个人的名字 哦 那个 嗯…
Stark. Willie Stark. Willie Stark.
史塔克 威利·史塔克 威利·史塔克
I found him in Kanoma City…
于是我到了卡诺马市…
a typical hot, dusty, backwoods county seat.
一个典型的炎热又四处灰尘的边远的郡
…to lie to them
…欺骗他们
in order to line their own pockets with the taxpayers’ money.
自己的口袋里塞满了纳税人的钱
When have the citizens of Kanoma County
如果卡诺马郡的市民
ever witnessed a campaign like this?
亲眼看到这场选举过程
Why is the opposition so anxious to defeat me?
为何反对派人士急切想打败我?
Why have they used every dirty method known
为何他们使用一切下流的手段
to make sure I’m not elected county treasurer?
想让我当选不了郡财政局长?
Well, I’ll tell ya why.
让我来告诉你们为什么
Because they’re afraid of the truth,
因为他们害怕真♥相♥被发觉
and the truth is this:
而真♥相♥是
They’re trying to steal your money.
他们想暗中偷走你们的钱
Yeah, I said “steal.”
是的 我要说是偷走
The county commissioners rejected the low bid on the schoolhouse.
郡政务委员会拒绝了拨款给学校的法案
Why?
为什么?
Well, they’ll tell you their reason is
他们会告诉你说
the job will be done better.
这笔钱用在别的地方会更好
The county commissioners would have you believe
政委会他们会说服你
that they’re interested in public welfare.
说他们比较关心社会福利
They’re interested in welfare,
关心社会福利
sure… but it’s their own.
当然了… 只是关心他们自己的福利
Let’s look at their reason in the light of the facts and the figures.
我们来看看事实和数字统计
That brick factory is owned by
郡内大工厂是
a brother-in-law of one of the commissioners.
政务委员的亲戚所有
That same brick factory uses convict labor.
厂里使用罪犯做免费劳工工作
Sorry, Willie. You’ll have to move on. Why?
对不起 威利 你必须离开这儿 为什么?
City ordinance number 105:
根据市条例第105条
More than five people congregating is disturbing the peace.
五人以上集♥会♥破坏了平静
If you folks’ll be so kind as to read these handbills,
如果各位愿意继续听下去
my boy’ll pass ’em out among you.
我儿子将继续为大家讲
There’s an ordinance against that too.
可不允许再次违反
Pass ’em out, Tom. Let him alone! Get that camera!
把他们赶走 汤 别碰他 拿下照相机
Willie, you’re under arrest.
你被捕了
Where can I find Tiny Duffy?
泰尼·达菲在哪里?
Right over there, mister.
就在那边
They told me I could get my camera back here.
他们说可以找你拿回照相机
Who told you that? People. Can I?
谁跟你说的? 人们 可以吗?
You the reporter that’s been snoopin’ around town?
你是在城里到处走的记者吗?
Are you Tiny Duffy?
你是泰尼·达菲吗?
What paper? Chronicle.
什么报的记者? 新闻报
You sure come a long way to
你必定是打老远
stick your nose into other people’s business.
来管闲事的
That’s true, only my boss on the paper can’t see it that way.
没错 我老板正是这样子
It ain’t any of his business either.
其实这也不干♥他♥的事
Whose business is it? Them as is tendin’ to it…
那到底是谁负责? 这是大家共同负责的…
county commissioners
郡政委会
the voters of Kanoma County elected to attend to their business…
民选的合法委员负责…
and not take no buttin’ in from nobody.
不会没有理由地抓任何人
You a commissioner?
你是委员?
Yeah. Name’s Pillsbury. Dolph Pillsbury.
对 我叫皮尔斯伯里 多尔夫·皮尔斯伯里
Me too. I’m a commissioner too.
我也是 我也是委员
Who isn’t a commissioner? He’s the head man.
那这里谁不是委员? 他是主席
Oh, then you’re in a position to know…
那你是负责…
He’s in a position to know nothin’ and to say nothin’.
他是负责什么也不知 是什么又不说
I thought you said he was head man.
你不是说他是主席?
He uses my head.
他用我的名
Oh, Tiny, you’re a card.
泰尼是红牌
Ain’t he a card? Yeah, he’s a card.
你是红人吗? 是的 他是红人
Now, who thought up those city ordinances about
郡政务委员会的功能究竟是什么?
arresting someone for making a speech?
可以逮捕一个人 只因他做演说吗?
Who’s arrested?
有谁被捕?
Ain’t nobody arrested.
没有人逮捕他
Hi, Willie. Hi, Willie.
威利 威利
Did you apologize to Willie? Yeah, I apologized to Willie.
你有向他道歉了吗? 有 我向他道歉了
Did you give him his handbills back? Yeah, I gave ’em back.
你把讲词还他了吗? 是的 我还他了
Give him back his flag and his bag,
把旗子还给威利
and give this man his camera.
把照相机还给这个人
I’m gonna be on that same street corner tomorrow, Mr. Duffy.
达菲先生 明天我还会在同一街上演讲
You go right ahead, Willie. We all believe in free speech.
威利 去吧 我们都信仰言论自♥由♥
We got to… it’s in the Constitution.
我们必需这样… 都规定在宪法里
My boy is out distributing those handbills now.
我的孩子正在外面散发传♥单♥
It’s a free country, Willie.
这是个自♥由♥的国家 威利
If you can convince the people to vote for you, you go right ahead.
如果你能说服人们 你就去做吧
What did you want to see me about, Mr. Duffy?
达菲先生 你要见我做什么?
I wanted you to meet a fellow
我要你见见
that came all the way up from the state capital
来自州首府的人
to meet you a reporter.
一位记者
Wants to write you up, maybe put your picture in the paper.
他想写些你的文章
maybe put your picture in the paper.
也许还可以放张照片上去
I’m happy to know you, sir. Burden’s my name, Jack Burden.
很高兴认识你 我叫波顿 杰克·波顿
Can we go somewhere where we can talk?
我们能到别的地方谈谈吗?
Oh, that ain’t polite.
这可是不太礼貌的
Don’t you want to hear both sides of the story?
你不想听听两面的意见吗?
I know your side.
我知道你这一面
What happened to the slate your men took from my camera?
我的照相机镜头怎么办?
Must have dropped out.
一定是摔下去了
Oh, come on, fellas, let’s relax.
别这样 大家放松一点
It’s a hot day.
别这么冲动
Hey, Sugar Boy! Yeah?
矮个儿 嗯?
Bring some cold beer for the boys.
拿些酒来
None for me, thank you kindly.
不 达菲 不必了
Now, you know Willie don’t drink, Tiny.
你知道威利不喝那个的
His wife don’t favor drinkin’.
威利有他自己喜欢的
And Willie’s the teacher’s pet, ain’t you, Willie?
威利对喝是很讲究的
I’ll have some orange pop if you don’t mind.
如果你不介意 我来点橘子汽水
Orange pop?
橘子汽水?
All right, Sugar Boy, bring him some orange pop.
小老弟 来点橘子汽水吧
Th-The p-pop’s s-s-sold out.
但是 汽水卖♥♥完了
Did you hear that, boys? The p-p-pop is s-sold out.
你们听到没? 他说 汽水卖♥♥完了
Now, ain’t he a card?
现在他是红人
He stutters, Mr. Duffy,
他是吓到了
but you… you don’t say anything.
而你… 你不必跟我们说什么
Let’s go, mister.
我们走吧
This is my wife, Lucy, Mr. Burden.
波顿先生 这是我太太露西
How do you do?
你好
That’s my pa.
那位是家父
How do you do?
你好
Now we’ll talk.
我们现在谈吧
You’ve been talking for a long time, Mr. Stark.
你一路上都已经一直在说了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!