If you asked me now who I am,
如果现在你问我是谁
the only answer I could give with any certainty
我能给你唯一确定的答案就是
would be my name, Charles Ryder.
我的名字 Charles Ryder
For the rest, my loves, my hates,
至于其他 上至爱恨
down even to my deepest desires,
下至最深层的渴望
I can no longer say whether these emotions are my own
我再也无法辨别这些情感 到底是我自己的
or stolen from those I once so desperately wished to be.
还是从我曾无限的期望那窃取的
On second thoughts, one emotion remains my own,
可再想想 有一种情感却始终是我自己的
alone among the borrowed and the second-hand,
与那些虚伪的 假借人手的情感不同
as pure as that faith from which I am still in flight.
它如同我逝去的信念一样纯粹
Guilt.
悔恨
故园风雨后
Been away, sir? Anywhere interesting?
从哪回来啊 先生? 那有趣吗?
Jungle. – Jungle.
丛林 – 丛林
Explorer, are we?
你是个探险家 是吧?
Painter. – Painter?
是画家 – 画家?
So, bye-bye beardy, hello smooth.
好吧 让我们告别胡渣 迎接清爽吧
Famous for his impressive architectural portraits,
他以精湛建筑画像闻名
British artist Charles Ryder has taken New York by storm
英国艺术家 Charles Ryder 已以一系列吸引人的丛林研究
with a series of gripping jungle studies.
以暴风般的速度横扫纽约
To own a Ryder is currently the dream
现如今拥有一张Ryder的画作已是
of every self-respecting East Coast millionaire.
每个有自尊的东海岸百万富翁的梦想
You must be so proud of him.
你一定为他感到骄傲
Was he away long? – Two years,
他去有多长时间了? – 走了两年了
and it doesn’t feel like a day. – You must feel positively bridal.
却感觉还没有一天长 – 你一定感觉很幸福吧
I can’t paint to save my life.
我可不能靠画画吃饭
Thank you.
谢谢
I can’t even hold a buggering brush!
我连画笔也拿不了!
But I know what I like. Lots of color. Nice and bright.
但我知道我喜欢什么 丰富的色彩 既漂亮又明亮
I see the jungle in your work as a metaphor.
在我看来 丛林在你的作品里是一种暗喻
Not least, the metaphysical semblance of the chaos at the heart of civilization.
表达在一种在超自然外表掩盖下的 文明深处的杂乱
Make an effort, Charles.
加把劲 Charles
You’re not in South America now. You’re amongst civilized people.
你现在可不是在南美而是在文明社会中
Mr. Ryder, I wonder if I could… – I’m so sorry. Excuse me.
Ryder先生 我能否… – 对不起 失陪一下
Excuse me. Thank you very much. …just have a conversation…
抱歉 非常感谢 …和你谈谈…
Hello, Charles.
你好 Charles
十年前
You’re wearing a coat! – Yes, Father, I am.
你穿上外套了! – 是的 爸爸
Why?
为什么?
I’m going up to Oxford. – Ah. Yes.
我要去牛津大学了 – 哦 是啊
Remind me. What are you taking? – History.
提醒我一下 你要去念什么专业? – 历史
And what allowance have I given you? – A hundred pounds.
我给了你多少津贴? – 100英镑
How very indulgent of me. Mind you, it all comes out of capital.
我对你真是纵容 提醒你 那可不是笔小数目啊
Oh, I suppose this is the time I should give you advice.
噢 我想是时候该给你点建议了
Your mother was always so good at that.
你妈妈在这方面总是很擅长
Who’s meeting you?
谁去接你?
Cousin Jasper offered to show me around.
Jasper堂兄说过会带我到处转转
Cousin Jasper!
Jasper堂兄!
Most entertaining.
太有趣了
Out of the way, you silly fool.
别挡道 傻瓜
There you are, Charles.
你来啦 Charles
This way, please.
请往这走
Come along. As an only child, you will, of course, have much to learn.
跟我来 作为个独子 当然了 你有很多东西要学
Though I am only your cousin, Charles, you must look upon me as a brother.
虽然我是你唯一的堂兄 Charles 但你也得把我当兄长一样看待
Older, wiser, but a brother nevertheless.
虽然我比你更年长 更聪明 但我还是你的兄长
Now, it is no secret that our families are not rich in material wealth.
现如今 这也不是什么秘密了 我们的家族在物质上并不富足
Keep off the grass.
别踩草地
But I like to think that we Ryders are, all of us, rich in the striving of minds.
但我认为我们Ryders家族的人 在思想上还是很富裕的
Now, then… Not that way.
现在 那么… 不是那边
Clothes. Dress as you do in a country house.
在服装方面 就像你在乡下老家那穿就行了
Never wear a tweed coat and a flannel trousers, always a suit.
绝不要穿斜纹软呢外套和法兰绒的裤子 穿西装不会错
And go to a London tailor. You’ll get a better cut.
你可以去伦敦的裁缝店里 他们会为你剪裁得当的
Protocol. First and foremost, behaving with restraint…
协议第一条 行为要克制得当…
Nine adulteries, 12 liaisons, 6♥4♥ fornications,
9次通奸 12次私通 6♥4♥次乱♥伦♥
and something approaching a rape
还有几次强♥奸♥未遂
rest nightly upon the soul of our delicate friend Florialis,
这些都夜夜栖息在我们病弱的朋友 Florialis的灵魂上
and yet the man is so quiet and reserved in demeanor
然而这个男人的行为又是这么的从容 这么的有所保留
that he passes for both bloodless and sexless.
他超越了男女之分 是无情的象征
Sodomites, all of them. Steer well clear.
那些变♥态♥ 上帝会惩罚他们的
Treat all dons as you would the local vicar.
就像对当地的牧师一样
With indifference.
要冷淡对待所有的导师
Oh, dear, oh, dear. This won’t do at all. You must change your rooms.
噢 天呐 噢 天呐 怎么会这样 你得换一个房♥间
I’ve seen many a man ruined
我已经见识过不少
through having ground floor rooms in the front quad.
因住在庭院一楼而堕落的人了
People start dropping in.
刚开始人们会来随便走访
They leave their gowns here and come and collect them before hall.
他们会把他们的外套留在这 然后没走到大厅又回来取
You start giving them sherry and before you know it they’re…
然后你就会给他们倒葡萄酒喝 在你知道他们…
Sebastian, come along. Look at the state of him.
Sebastian 过来 看看他
Come on, you’re nearly clean.
快来 吐干净了吧
Oh, no, no, no, sir, stop.
噢 不 不 不 先生 你别做
You don’t clear up after yourself. That’s my job.
你不必自己来 这是我的工作
Sorry, Lunt. What’s all this?
对不起 Lunt 这是什么?
From the gentleman last night, sir. He just called. Left a note for you.
是昨晚那位先生送来的 阁下 他叫我把这个给你
“I am very contrite.
“我为昨晚的事深感抱歉”
“Please come to luncheon today. Sebastian Flyte.”
“恳请您出席今天的午宴 Sebastian Flyte”
The Lord Sebastian Flyte, don’t you know?
你认识Sebastian Flyte大人吗?
I’m sure it’s quite a pleasure to clear up after him.
我想能为他清扫真是荣幸
I take it you’ll be out to lunch today, then, sir.
你会出席午宴 是吧 先生
Yes, Lunt. I think I shall be.
是的 Lunt 我想我会去的
I’ve just counted them.
我数过了
There’s five each and two over, so I’m having the two.
每人五个还多两个 这两个就由我来处理吧
I’m unaccountably hungry today.
我今天出奇的饿
I put myself unreservedly in the hands of Dolbear and Goodall
放开肚子大吃了一顿
and feel so drugged I’ve begun to believe
并开始沉迷相信
the whole of yesterday evening was a dream.
昨晚的一切都只是一场梦
Please don’t wake me.
请别叫醒我
Do try one. – Thank you.
尝一个 – 谢谢
What are they? – Plover’s eggs. The first this year.
这是什么? – 鹌鹑蛋 是今年的第一窝
Mummy sends them from Brideshead. They always lay early for her.
是我妈妈从Brideshead送来的 它们总是早早的就为她生了蛋
You would, too, if you knew my mother.
如果你认识我妈妈 你也会这么做的
Are you terribly angry with me about last night?
你是不是对我昨晚做的事很生气?
No, not at all. Thank you for the flowers.
不 完全没有 谢谢你的花
Aloysius, you can’t go there. Do sit down.
Aloysius 你不能坐那 你请坐吧
Tell me about you. – Me?
和我说说你吧 – 我?
I’m in my first year, reading history,
我今年大一 读历史专业
but really what I most want to be is a painter.
但实际上我很想成为一名画家
Would you like to paint me?
你愿意画我吗?
Well, yes. Yes, if you like.
当然 当然 如果你愿意的话
It’s so clever of you, knowing what you want.
你真是聪明 知道自己想要什么
I’ve no idea what I want.
除了让自己开心
Except to be happy.
我真不知道自己想要什么
If I can.
如果可以的话
Let’s have some champagne.
来点香槟吧
A glass each before the rowdies arrive.
在那群混小子来之前我们先喝一杯
You don’t want to join the Old Boys.
你绝不会想加入那些老生们的
They’re all bloody drugged bogs or collegers.
他们都是群该死的臭虫或者穷鬼
Top me up, will you, old man?
帮我满上 老兄?
I don’t remember you from Eton. – I didn’t go to Eton.
我不记得在伊顿(公学)看到过你 – 我没读过伊顿
Oh, really. Where then? Harrow or winchester?
噢 是吗 那你是哪? 哈罗还是温彻斯特?
Rugby? Oh, not Charterhouse, I hope?
橄榄球? 我想该不会是修道院吧?
You wouldn’t have heard of it.
你不会知道那的
There are other schools, you know, Boy.
那还有其他的学校 你知道的 小子
Yes, I suppose there must be.
是的 我知道那一定有
My dears. – Hello, Blanche.
亲爱的同志们 – 你好 Blanche
Hello, Blanche.
你好 Blanche
I couldn’t get away before.
我刚才一直走不开
I was lunching with my preposterous tutor.
在和我那荒谬的家教吃饭
I told him I had to change for footer.
我跟他说我得换衣服去踢球
Anthony, you remember Charles. From last night?
Anthony 还记得Charles吗? 昨晚
Charles is reading history, but he wants to be an artist.
Charles读的是历史 但他想成为一名艺术家
No! – Why ever not?
不可能! – 为什么?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!