我总是被人生的两极困扰
So I’m always caught in that dichotomy
到底是过程最有意思
Is the journey the most thrilling part of it,
还是所谓的终点
Or is it,I say end result,
我觉得人永远达不到终点
I don’t think you ever get to an end result.
你只是花费一定时间
You get to a result as close as you can get,
达到一个尽可能终极的目标
in the time that you need to get it.
我觉得你如果有一定的好奇心
And I think if you have a lot of curiosity
就永远也不会觉得你彻底完成了一段旅程
You kind of never feel like you’ve completed any journey
因为你总是在改变路线
Because you’re always changing trains
然后不知不觉中 走向另一个目的地
And you’re always,without knowing it,on some other destination
真是个难题
It’s a conundrum
在我看来利昂就像一只蛾子
I thought about Leon as a moth
飞蛾扑火 被火焰所吸引而烧掉自己翅膀的蛾子
That was attracted to the flame that causes the moth to burn its own wings off
斯坦利•库布里克是如此耀眼
Stanley Kubrick was an incredibly bright light
他的魅力如此强大 吸引利昂就这样被他的光芒灼烧
His seductiveness was strong enough for Leon to be burnedby Stanley’s light
看《2001:太空漫游》时我刚离开戏剧学校
I’d seen 2001 just after I left drama school
我当时想 这真是我看过最伟大的电影
and I just thought it was the greatest movie I’d ever seen
后来因为是斯坦利•库布里克出品 我也去看了《发条橙》
And I went to see Clockwork Orange because it was Stanley Kubrick
看到像马尔科姆•麦克道威尔的演出
When I was watching the performances like Malcolm McDowell
如此大气 放肆
It was so big,so bold
我觉得 这就是在电影媒介中 最接近戏剧表演的体现了
And I thought,this is as close as you get to a theatrical kind of performance on film,
而且很融洽
And it makes sense
作为一个演员 能够那样呈现饱满多元的情感 真好
And how wonderful for an actor to be able to come on and give that whole,broad feeling
电影结束后 我转身对一起来的人说
When the film finished,I turned to the person I was actually watching it with
我想为这个人工作
And I said “I want to work for that man”
一字不差 我当时就说”我想为这个人工作”
That’s exactly what I said,”I want to work for that man”
我很幸运 一直都有戏可演
I was lucky because I never didn’t work
演过戏剧 电视剧 舞台剧 英国广播公♥司♥的作品
I was doing theater,television,prestige costume dramas,BBC…
吓到你了吧
I shocked you didn’t I?
也参与过只演一场的话剧 几部电影 有些警♥匪♥片
I was doing one-off plays,couple of movies,there were cop dramas…
他们怎么会想来?我住在城市外♥围♥
Why should they want to? I live in the outskirt of town
完全是郊区
Middle of suburbia
当时各种风格的影视作品 我好像都演过
I think I did every single one of them that was being done at the time
你也没法让她起死回生不是吗!多管闲事的混♥蛋♥!
Not gonna bring her back to life again are you? You interfering bastard
事发当晚你有到过那个仓库附近吗?
Were you on the night in question anywhere near that warehouse?
我没有!
No no no!
我演过情景喜剧
I was doing sitcoms
社会风气剧变时我就在伦敦
I was in London when everything was changing
当时我觉得可以按自己喜欢的方式去生活 去做自己
I thought I could be,and do,and behave the way I wanted to
让我大松一口气
It was a huge relief for me
我能陪你一起去吗?
May I come with you?
我的一位经纪人听说库布里克在准备拍新片
One of my agents had actually heard that Stanley Kubrick was doing a new production
他给我安排了试镜 这部片子就是《巴里•林登》
And he organized an audition for me,and it was a film called Barry Lyndon
试镜前斯坦利把样本发给大家 在我那份的封面上
Stanley had the tapes sent to you,and on the front of mine,when it came
有一个小纸条 我后来才知道那是他亲手写的
It had a little note which had,what I later understood,to be Stanley’s handwriting
写的是”把这些台词背熟”
Which was “learn these lines”
当斯坦利•库布里克这种级别的人告诉你 背熟台词
And when someone like Stanley Kubrick tells you to learn your lines
你肯定诚惶诚恐地背好
You learn your lines.
电♥话♥来了
A phone call came through
是我的经纪人跟我说 你拿到斯坦利•库布里克新片的角色啦
And my agent told me”you’ve got the role in Stanley Kubrick’s picture”
天啊 当时我都灵魂出窍了
Oh my head was somewhere out there
感谢上苍
Thanks oh great ones
我接到一个电♥话♥ 说”请你六点钟到白鹿酒店来”
I got a telephone call,it said “you should be at the White Hart Hotel at 6 o’clock,”
“斯坦利想要见你”
“because Stanley wants to meet you.”
我站在酒店大堂
And I was standing in the hotel foyer
突然感觉到有人轻轻拍我的肩膀 我转过身
And I suddenly,there was this little tap on my shoulder,I turned around.
他说 你好利昂 我是斯坦利 我们握了手
He said “Hi Leon,I’m Stanley”. And we shook hands
我跟你说
And I have to tell you something
斯坦利的握手非常温暖 柔和
When you shook hands with Stanley,it was warm and gentle
会给你全身带来一阵暖意
Just like a buzz went through you
开机第一天时 我超乎意料的紧张
On the first shooting day,I was a little surprised at myself
不知道接下来会发生什么
At how nervous I actually felt about what was going to happen
他拿着一副单筒望远镜 然后说”来18个吧”
He was given a long tube,and he said “put an eighteen on”
我当时没懂他意思
Now I didn’t know what that meant
然后他把望远镜举到眼前 对我说
But then he put it up to his eye and said:
“好了利昂 开演 就像真的拍摄时那样去全力演”
“Ok Leon,action,and do it the way you think you’re gonna do it,”
“我不想要那种保留精力给实拍的彩排”
“I don’t want any of this kind of ‘saving up for the take'”
于是我们就开工了 他四处走动 用望远镜四处张望
And so,we kicked off. He was wandering around,he was looking through this tube
一会贴到你眼前来 一会又站远了
He was getting up close,he was standing far back,
一会站梯子上 一会单膝跪地
Standing on a step ladder,down on his knee.
然后他换个镜头 我们就得又重复整个过程
And then he changed lenses and we’d go through the whole process again.
每次我都得从头开始
And each time I’d have to start from the beginning
一遍又一遍地演我的部分
And keep saying it,keep saying it,keep saying it.
最后我们终于准备真正开拍了
And then just about we were gonna start shooting it,
他却说 我们试点别的吧
He actually said,”let’s do something else”.
彻底把我弄晕了 我心想
Completely disorientated me. I thought,
老天啊 这一场戏还没开拍他就要改了
Oh my god,he was gonna change the scene he was gonna shoot
那场戏 我带着同母异父的弟弟布莱恩走进来 他穿着我的鞋
When I walk in with Bryan,my little stepbrother,and he’s wearing my shoes
我们反复演了很多遍
We did it over and over and over again
一旦我们抓住了精髓 抓住了这场戏的整体情感
But once we kind of found the pulse,the emotional,it’s justxa0the whole thing
夫人!
Madam!
他就让一切自然发展 从来不喊停
He just let everything go,there was never a cut
这个您同床共枕的无礼爱尔兰暴发户
I have borne as long as mortal could endure
他对我的种种虐待
the ill-treatment of the insolent Irish upstart
我已经忍♥无可忍♥
whom you have taken into your bed
我不仅憎恶他低贱的出身 和他残暴的人格
It is not only the lowness of his birth and the general brutality of his manners which disgusts me,
我们每次排练这段独白戏都是一气呵成 从不喊停
We just kept doing complete takes of the whole speech.
还有他粗鄙 下♥贱♥的举止
His brutal and ungentleman-like behavior
他毫不遮掩的不忠 他无♥耻♥的敛财 挥霍着属于你我二人的财富
his open infidelity,his shameless robberies and swindling of my property,and yours
既然我无法亲自严惩这个低贱的暴徒
And as I cannot personally chastise this lowbred ruffian
我也不忍♥继续眼看着他如此对你
and as I cannot bear to witness his treatment of you
他和他身边的那些狐朋狗友简直像场瘟疫!
and loathe his horrible society as if it were the plague!
我已决定要离开这个家族 永不回来…
I have decided to leave my home and never return…
那时我才真正意识到 这就是真正的电影制♥作♥
That’s really where I got the message,this is what filmmaking is about.
不是字面上说的拍电影 而是电影制♥作♥
As opposed to just shooting a film,this was filmmaking
我从座位上跳起来 用尽全力从后面打他
And I leap up out of my chair,and I hit him as hard as I can in the back
把他打翻在地 掐他的脖子
And knocked him to the ground,and try to throttle him
我出拳打他 但斯坦利说 你打得还不够狠
And I hit him and,Stanley said “you’re not hitting him hard enough”
我看到利昂就很过意不去 可怜的利昂啊…
I’m looking at Leon you know,”aww Leon…”
那场戏我们拍了30次
But we did it 30 times.
我知道我伤到他了 弄痛他了 我也不想的
And I know I hurt him,I know I hurt him. I didn’t want to
但这就是斯坦利 “再来一遍 再来一遍”
But this was Stanley. “Again,again.”
到了午餐休息时间 斯坦利说”利昂 先别走 我想跟你谈谈”
We broke for lunch,and he said “Leon,don’t go anywhere,I want to talk to you.”
我就想 天啊 完了
And I thought,oh my god,this is it
他肯定是要说”你尽力了 但还是没达到我的预期”
He’s gonna say “you’ve tried hard but it’s not quite what I’m looking for”
因为我们已经有3个乔治三世了 前两个相当于是被炒了
Because we had three George III. The first two were kind of fired
如果你台词不够熟 你马上就不再是剧组的一部分了
If you didn’t know your lines,suddenly you weren’t in the picture anymore
然后会有新的演员来替代你 这种事都有好几次
And a new actor was brought in. This happened a couple of times
在剧组里都不怎么交朋友 因为你不知道别人能留多久
You didn’t make friends because you didn’t know if they’re gonna last or not
他说 坐吧利昂 我们就坐下了
He said,”Leon,let’s sit down”. We sat down
然后他说 我很欣赏你的表现
And then he said,”I really like what you’re doing,”
我们暂停调整灯光的间隙
“I like the fact that when we break to set up new lighting,”
你经常走来走去 练你的台词 这点我很喜欢
“that you’re actually walking around,going through your text.”
所以我决定要为你的角色再写很多戏份
“and so I decided I’m going to write a whole bunch of scenes for you,”
让你一直留到影片结尾
“and keep you here till the end of the movie.”
我当时差点晕过去
I almost passed out.
你能想象吗 真是做梦都不敢想
Can you imagine? Oh can you imagine?
虽然我之前也参演过电影 但都只是以演员的身份
And although I’ve worked on films,you’re always just there as an actor
所以从来没有真正理解制♥作♥一部电影
So you never really understood anything that was going on
需要的各种过程
Into the making of that film
那时我开始环顾四周 看着所有这些人力物力
I started just to look around and just see all the resources,
工作人员会调动演围观小混混的群众演员
And you see people moving these banks of brutes,
一会移近10米 一会移远10米
Ten yards further in,ten yards further back,
一会调整站的角度 所有的服装都是手工缝制
Angling them different. The costume would be made and handsewn
完全按照18世纪时的方式做出来的
In the way that they would’ve been made in the 18th century
人们讨论着各种精致细节
People talking about fine details
你能看见斯坦利 听到他跟艺术指导说话
And you see Stanley,and heard Stanley talking to the art director
这么多人忙前忙后
So many people walking around
每个人都有自己的工作
And everyone had something to do
每个人都贡献点什么 去构成某一幕
And they would do something to get something on a strip of film

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!