I was trying to get away from my cousin Jessie. She’s no good.
我害怕如果她发现 这些保险金 她会拿一部分
If she found out about the insurance money, she’d try to get some.
给我若麻烦
Make trouble for me.
-什么保险金 -泰勒夫人的保险金
– What insurance money? – Mrs Taylor’s.
-她去世了 噢 泰勒夫人去世了-可怜
– She died. – Oh, Mrs Taylor died. Pity.
你现在跟你那不听话 的杰希表妹一起工作
Now you’re working with this naughty cousin Jessie.
没人跟我一起工作
Nobody’s working with me!
你说得这好像 我我习惯做的事情
You talk as if this was some regular thing I do… did.
-不是吗 -不是
– And it wasn’t? – No!
你不是来自洛杉机的 艾德格小姐
You’re not from Los Angeles, Miss Edgar.
保险只是在南方实行
Insurance is only pronounced insurance in the South.
那就是你来自的地方 在哪里 这附近吗
And that’s where you’re from. Where? Around here?
你是一个冷酷的 熟练的 想尽办法的说谎者
You’ re a cold-practised, method-actress of a liar.
我忍♥不住的
– I can’t help it. – It would appear not.
看不出来 我不是那个意思
I don’t mean that. I mean, I wasn’t born in California.
我是说我不是在加州出生的 我是在理查孟特 维吉尼亚出生的
I was born in Richmond, Virginia.
当我还是婴儿时 我爸爸就抛弃了我们
My father deserted us when I was a baby.
我和妈妈在理查孟特 一直生活到我7岁
My mother and I lived in Richmond until I was seven.
然后我们搬到加州 在那里 我妈妈在飞机厂找到工作
Then we went to California. Mother worked in aeroplane factories.
我发誓那是真话
That’s the truth. I swear it!
妈妈在我10岁时就去世了 泰勒夫人就照顾我
My mother died when I was ten. And Mrs Taylor took care of me.
来 我们走
Come on, get moving.
你怎样找到我的 女孩 你是要回到问题的
How did you find me?
你是怎打开华特的保险柜的
How did you get the combination to Ward’s safe?
-我拿走苏姗在皮包里的钥匙 -明白
– I took Susan’s key from her purse. – I see.
好像你只是说了开头部分
Now, suppose you just begin at the beginning.
正如我告诉你的 我在理查孟特出生 我们很穷
It’s just like I told you. I was born in Richmond. We were poor.
我们非常穷
We were grindingly poor.
-在妈妈去世后我孤单一人 -说下去
– I was so alone after Mother died. – Well, go on.
我在听
You still have my attention.
我上学 照顾泰勒夫人 直到她去世
I just went to school and took care of Mrs Taylor until she died.
她给我留下她的房♥子 和5000美元的保险金
She left me her house and $5,000 in insurance.
我卖♥♥了房♥子 因为有抵押 所以我只能得到
I sold the house. It had a mortgage so I only got $9,000 cash.
9000美元现金
但我总共有14000美元 我
But there I was with $14,000! Me!
有了它 我可以 做我喜欢做的事
I could do exactly what I wanted to with it.
那没有更多的 我买♥♥了弗丽欧
There isn’t much more. I bought Forio.
弗丽欧 伽洛德那里的马
– Forio? – My horse at Garrod’s.
我过了两年开心的日子
I had two wonderful years.
上年11月钱用光了 所以我要工作
Then last November it was all gone so I had to get a job.
我去了匹兹堡 在肯德尔公♥司♥工作
I went to Pittsburgh and got the job at Kendall’s
-知道我找到更好的工作 -继续
– until I could look around for something better. – Alright, let’s try again.
我们回去看看你是否把 珠穆朗玛峰上的肥料变成事实
Let’s back up and turn that Mt Everest of manure into a few facts.
第一 你的日期全部错了
One: Your dates are all wrong.
之前你是在斯特拉特 代理公♥司♥工作的
Previously you were employed by the firm of Strutt and Company.
我在那里见过你一次
I saw you there once.
斯特拉特先生是我们 特兰公♥司♥的税金顾问
Mr Strutt is the tax consultant for Rutland and Company.
他指你给我看过 那时你是黑头发的
He pointed you out to me. You were a brunette then.
几个月后他说你离开了
Then some months later, he pointed out your absence.
你是说在你雇佣 我时你就知道所有事
You mean, you knew all about that when you hired me?
不 我没那么积极
No. I wasn’t positive.
但我觉得留你在 身边应该很有趣
But I thought it might be interesting to keep you around.
你总是想让我出错 诱骗我
And all this time you’ve been trying to trip me up, trap me!
嗯 我不再确定
Um, I ‘m not sure any more.
我想我开始时只是好奇
I think I was just… curious at first.
仍而事情在我意料之外 我喜欢你
Then things got out of control and… I liked you.
正如我看到的
So I see!
随便提一提 我想你有机会
Incidentally, I think you took a bit of a chance,
知道拉特兰公♥司♥ 是斯特拉特公♥司♥的客户
knowing that Rutland’s was a client of Strutt’s.
我不知道 我在斯特拉特公♥司♥的
I didn’t. My job at Strutt’s
工作不允许我知道客户名字
didn’t give me access to all the clients’ names!
好的 继续说下去
Alright. Let’s… get on.
我们确定你是一个贼 一个说谎者
We’ve established that you’re a thief and a liar.
到什么程度了
Now, what is the degree?
是被迫的贼 还是病态的说谎者
Are you a compulsive thief? A pathological liar?
-两者有什么不同 -有的
– What difference does it make? – Some!
对我来说是不同的
It makes some difference… to me.
进过监狱吗
Have you ever been in jail?
当然没有
Certainly not.
我知道你不会相信我的 那是我的过错
I know you’ll never believe me now, and it’s my own fault.
对于斯特拉特的事是真的 我知道
It’s true about Strutt. I did it.
我不知道为什么 我可能是疯了
I don’t know why. I just kind of went crazy, I guess, but…
但是老斯特拉特先生是那么的 -噢 我讨厌他
Old Mr Strutt was so – Oh, I hated him!
就像讨厌我一样
Like you hate me?
噢 不 我不讨厌你
Oh, no, not you.
擦干净脸吧
Clean up your face.
跟我来
Come on.
下午好
Good afternoon.
-要吃点什么 -弗兰克香肠跟咖啡
– What’ll you folks have? – A frank and a coffee, please.
-我也要一样的 -好的
– Same for me. – Okey-doke.
我们继续话题
Let’s get on with that little discussion.
不同的化名跟你的故事 不一致
The chronic use of an alias is not consistent with your story
是突发的诱惑和非预谋的冲动
of sudden temptation and unpremeditated impulse.
如果你偷了将近1♥0♥0♥0♥0♥美元
What if you’d stolen almost $1 0,000?
你不会改改名字吗
Wouldn’t you change your name?
噢 有什么用 为什么我要让你了解
Oh, what’s the use? Why should I even try to make you understand?
-我不单单要了解你 我要你信任我 -为什么
– I’m not only trying to understand you, I’m trying to believe you! – Why?
因为我想要这样 你不明白吗
Because, damn it, I want to! Can you understand that?
来了
Here you are, folks.
马克
Mark?
我要在拉特兰公♥司♥ 工作的原因是
The reasons for what I did at Rutland’s,
我之前说过了 他们是那样的头脑不清
they were so mixed up, what I wanted to say before.
我要离开
I needed to get away, can’t you see? Away from Rutland’s.
你不明白吗 离开拉特兰公♥司♥
Don’t you understand? Things were – We were –
你不明白吗 事情是我们
So we were. Was that any reason to run away?
正如我们这样 有什么原因要逃跑吗
Yes. I thought it was time I got out before I got hurt.
有 我想在受伤前离开
I mean, why try to kid myself?
-我是说为什么要跟我开玩笑 你叫玛尔尼吧 -玛尔尼
– Are you called Margaret? – Marnie.
-噢 上帝 马克 如果你让我离开 -我发誓我会
– Oh, God, Mark, if you let me go – I can’t let you go, Marnie.
我不会让你离开的 玛尔尼
Somebody’s got to take care of you and help you. I can’t turn you loose.
有人要照顾你 帮你 我不能让你离开
If I let you go, I ‘m criminally
如果我让你走 我会觉得内疚的
and morally responsible.
那么
Then what –
玛尔尼 这很适合你
Marnie. Yeah, that suits you.
好了 玛尔尼 就这样做吧
Alright, Marnie, this is how it’s gonna be.
我开车送你回费城
I’m driving you back to Philadelphia.
今晚我们会回到家里 明天你要回到拉特兰公♥司♥
Tonight we’ll go to the house. Tomorrow you’ll go to Rutland’s.
你要把苏姗的钥匙 放回她的皮包中
You’ ll see that Susan’s key finds its way back into her purse.
我怎么能回拉特兰公♥司♥
How can I go back to Rutland’s?
我掩护你了 我把钱放回去了
You’ re covered. I replaced the money.
我昨天打电♥话♥给你时 发现你出去了
When I called yesterday and found you’d pulled out,
我立刻知道发生什么事了
I knew instantly what had happened.
于是我回到拉特兰公♥司♥ 检查华特的保险柜
So I went to Rutland’s and checked Ward’s safe.
算出不见了多少钱 然后把钱放回去了 然后我出发来找你
Figured the loss and replaced it. Then I set out to find you.
记得第一天在赛马场里
Remember at the races
你对一只叫心灵感应的马很狂热吗
when you were hot about Telepathy?
我记得你说过你从它 两岁时就一直留意它
You’d said you’d watched him training as a two-year-old.
那就是我要做的事 所以我去找它
That’s all I had to go on, so I looked him up,
发现它是由维吉尼亚 一个团长玛斯顿饲养
and found he’d been bred by a Colonel Marston of Virginia.
我打电♥话♥给玛斯顿 问他附近是否有人卖♥♥马的
I phoned Marston and asked him if anyone there had horses for hire.
他给了我三个名字
He gave me the names of three.
昨天我开车到平原去 查看了马房♥ 没找到
Yesterday I drove up to the plains, checked out the stables. No luck.
但在最后一个地方 有个人说为什么不问问伽洛德
But at the last place, the man said why didn’t I try Garrod’s
在米岛堡那里
over by Middleburg?
请慢用
You folks be sure and come back now.
为什么你要送我回维克温
Why are you taking me back to Wykwyn?
因为我相信你会偷走
Because I don’t trust you not to run away.
我怎样偷走
How can I run away?
你拿着收条 邮局钥匙
You have the receipt, the post office key,
我的名字 玛尔尼艾德格 你确定那是你的名字
– my name. – Margaret Edgar.
你确定你在旅程中 没有把你丈夫留下来
You sure that’s all the name you have?

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
前一篇文章西北偏北
下一篇文章火车怪客
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!