当这个人出现时 行为举止都太像了
…and when this man showed up,looking like him,acting like him…
很容易就把他看做杰克了
…it weren’t hard just to let it be him.
可如果留心 还是能找到一些蛛丝马迹的
But there were signs anyone could notice if they had a mind to.
比如 鞋匠蒙迪先生 在给他试靴子的时候
For instance,Mr. Mead,our shoemaker,fit him for a pair of boots…
发现他的脚比杰克的小了整整两码
…and saw that his foot was two sizes smaller than Jack’s.
只是把鞋印搞混了 仅此而已
Got them templates mixed up,that’s all.
还有件事 有几个人来地里想谋份差事
Another thing,one day these men came looking for work.
流浪过来的 他们和杰克曾经在战场上并肩作战
Drifters. They’d been in the Army with Jack when he was wounded.
爸爸 -他们为什么说你不是杰克
Pop? – And they said this man wasn’t him.
妈妈为什么要这么说呀
Why is she saying that about you?
我不知道 儿子
I don’t know,son.
告诉她你就是 好不好
Tell her it’s you. All right?
我从没见过他那样
I’d never seen him look like that.
所以我就发现了 -原来如此
So I knew. – Yeah.
好了 马上回去坐好
All right. You go back and sit down now.
所以 不管这人是谁
Well,Jack,whoever he is…
动了刀子 他们就没法揭穿他了
…pulled a knife,so they couldn’t expose him.
我明白了
I see.
索莫斯比夫人 我这里有张写给约瑟夫先生的期票
Mrs. Sommersby,I have here a promissory note…
具备购买♥♥土地的期权
…offering an option to purchase land,given to a Mr. Joseph…
这是被告的签名 是你丈夫的笔迹吗
…signed by the defendant. Is that your husband’s signature?
不 笔迹没法模仿 所以他编造了右手受伤的事实
No. He couldn’t sign like Jack,so he made up a story about a bad hand.
法官大人 这位证人会不择手段
Your Honor,this witness will say anything…
救解她丈夫 我建议删除她的证词
…to save her husband. I move we strike her testimony.
韦伯先生
Mr. Webb.
对于证人的陈述 你能否提供证据
Can you offer any support to the claims of this witness?
没问题 大人 即刻呈上
I can,Your Honor,and do.
被告传唤证人马修·福尔松
The defense calls Mr. Matthew Folsom.
福尔松先生 你的职业
Mr. Folsom. What is your occupation?
我在克拉克郡有一个2000英亩的农场
I have a farm of some 2000 acres in Clark County.
你看得到被告吗
Do you see the defendant?
看得到 先生
Yes,sir.
你能认出他吗
Can you identify him?
当然 此人名叫贺拉斯·汤森
Yes. His name’s Horace Townsend.
贺拉斯·汤森
Horace Townsend.
唔 那你是怎么认识被告的
Uh,how do you come to know the defendant?
他曾经在瑞德索恩那里做过教师
He was the schoolteacher in Redthorn for a while.
他大概教了我孩子一年 -唔哼
He taught my children for a year or so. – Uh-huh.
接着说 福尔松阁下
Please continue,Mr. Folsom.
我也不知道他从哪里来 但他很会花言巧语
I don’t know where he come from,but he sweet-talked his way into the job.
他知道很多稀奇玩意 还有古希腊神话故事
He knew a lot of fancy stuff and Greek writing and all.
他还提议我们修建一座新校舍
Anyhow,he talked us into some scheme to build a new schoolhouse.
大家踊跃募捐 得到的1200美元多都交到他手里
We gave him everything we had and then some. More than $1200.
可最后他却跑了 一个子儿都没留下
He run off with every cent.
那么 福尔松先生
So,Mr. Folsom…
你很确定此人就是贺拉斯·汤森
…are you quite sure that this man is Horace Townsend?
绝对没认错 克拉克郡有一大帮子人
Oh,I’m sure. There’s a whole bunch of folks in Clark County…
都希望把这个懦夫送进监狱
…be pleased to see Yellow Horace Townsend in jail.
唔 谢谢你 福尔松先生 法官阁下
Uh… Thank you,Mr. Folsom. Your Honor…
听说他跑到了南方
Heard he moved on south…
搞大了一个姑娘的肚子 接着又抛弃了她
…got some girl in the family way and ran out on her.
参军之后 又抛下了战友 所以他是个胆小鬼
Joined the Army,ran out on them. That’s why they call him Yellow Horace.
在夏普斯堡 那时候我们的战士境况很糟糕
At Sharpsburg,when our boys were in a bad fix…
他撇下他们溜之大吉 随后北方佬发现他藏在灌木丛里
…he ran out and left them to it. The Yankees found him behind the bushes.
之后他就销声匿迹了 但我一看见他就认出来了
We lost track of him after that. But I knew him as soon as I saw him.
你是说 -要我说
What you’re saying is… – What I’m saying…
这个人就是个骗子 盗贼 是个逃兵
…is that man is a liar,a thief and a deserter.
他叫贺拉斯·汤森
His name is Horace Townsend.
福尔松先生 谢谢你
Thank you,Mr. Folsom.
法官阁下
Your Honor…
显而易见 你们抓错人了
…I believe the defense has proven beyond a doubt…
这件案子没有任何道理可言 所以
…that this is a case of wrongful arrest,and move…
法官大人 我可以讲话吗
Your Honor,may I speak?
不行
You may not.
应该宣布审判无效 -如果我撤销我的律师
And move that a mistrial be declared. – If I dismiss my attorney…
那我能讲话了吗 -你有这个权利
…may I then speak? – You have the right to…
那你被撤销了 -但我不明白你为什么这么做
You are dismissed. -…but I don’t see why you don’t need to.
根据此人的证词 我只能判决审判无效
On the basis of that man’s testimony,I’m about to rule on a mistrial.
韦伯先生试着证明我并不是杰克·索莫斯比
Mr. Webb is trying to prove I’m not who I am.
要是那样 我赢了官司又有何意义
I don’t see how I could win anything that way.
被告 你能免于一死
You could win your life,sir.
我的生命与杰克·索莫斯比这个名字同在
Without my name,I don’t think I have a life…
法官阁下
…Your Honor.
很好
Very well.
接着说下去 先生
Continue,sir.
麻烦你了 韦伯先生
Thank you,Mr. Webb.
索莫斯比先生 我必须 -我说过了 你被撤销了
Mr. Sommersby,I must… – I said,thank you.
福尔松先生 -我在呢
Mr. Folsom. – That’s me.
你声称见到我的那一刻 你立马就认出我了
You testified that you knew me as soon as you saw me.
没错
Yes.
自瑞德索恩之后
Did we ever meet…
我们还见过面吗
…since the time that you said that I lived in Redthorn?
我想应该没有
I don’t believe so.
没见过
No?
我也这么觉得
I do believe so.
我想我们最后一次相遇时 你骑着马
I believe the last time we met,you were sitting on a horse…
用床单蒙着脸
…dressed up like a bed.
难道不是你们这些白茗骑士在我家门前烧毁了十字架
Didn’t you and your White Knights burn a cross in front of my house…
因为黑人想自主经营 你们就把他打得半死
…and beat a black man half to death,because he tried to farm for himself?
我没有 -你没有
I did not. – You did not.
你们的领头没有用枪指着我
Didn’t your leader point a gun at me…
说你们一干人等才是
…and say that you and your Knights…
田纳西州真正的律法 我可不清楚
…are the only true law in Tennessee? – I Wouldn’t know.
你这是在藐视法庭的权威
You don’t recognize the authority of this court at all,do you?
所以你鬼话连篇
Which is the reason you can lie about me.
你这个骗子
You are the liar.
你来这儿的最终目的就是
The reason… Real reason you are here…
阻止我索莫斯比向黑人出♥售♥土地
is to stop Jack Sommersby from selling land to a colored man…
你就是忍♥受不了他们像你一样拥有私人财产
…who’d then be a property-owner on a level with yourself.
你会不得好死的 汤森
You may go to hell,Townsend!
福尔松先生 法庭之上 注意你的用词
You will watch your tongue in my court,Mr Folsom.
在我面前你说话当心点
And you will watch your tongue in my presence!
你谁都审判不了
You sit up there in judgment of nobody!
两年之内 一旦北方佬走了
In two years,when the Yankees are gone…
你从哪里来就得乖乖会到哪里去
…you will be back in the field where you belong!
福尔松 有这个可能
Quite possibly,Mr. Folsom.
但此时 因藐视法庭
But in the meantime,you are in contempt of my court…
我判处你监禁30天 法警请立刻执行
…and I sentence you to 30 days in county jail. Bailiff.
你敢审判我 你这个狗♥娘♥养♥的小杂毛
Sentence me? You nappy-headed son of a bitch!
再加30天
Sixty days!
你们放开我 -带他
Get your hands off me! – Show Mr. Folsom the way…
看看我们的监狱 -你死定了
…to our regrettably uncomfortable facilities. – You’re a dead man!
陪审团将不会采纳该证人的证词
The jury will disregard the testimony of that witness.
汤森
Mr. Towns…
这位先生 我该怎么称呼你
How shall I address you,sir?
在下杰克·索莫斯比 大人
Jack Sommersby,Your Honor.
你有什么证据
Can you offer evidence to that effect?
你们有多少人来自瓦恩希尔
How many of y’all are here from Vine Hill?
多少人愿意为我作证 -我愿意
How many willing to swear I’m Jack? – I will!
我也愿意 -我发誓
I will! – I’ll swear!
法官大人 你可以一个个地传唤他们
We could bring them all up here,one by one,Your Honor.
或者 如果您愿意 我们可以
Or what we could do,if you want…
再次请出索莫斯比夫人 搞清楚这事怎么发生的
…is bring Mrs. Sommersby back up here,and find out how this thing got started.
劳瑞 你现在真得认为我不是你丈夫
Now,Laurel,you really believe I’m not your husband?
是的 你不是 -嗯哼
Yes,you are not. – Mm-hm.
但你却没有拆穿我 -是这样
But you let everybody believe that I was. – Yes.
究竟为什么
Why is that?
我想是我和大家一样 很希望你就是他
Because I guess I wanted you to be him as much as they did.
唔哼 为什么 劳瑞
Mm-hm. Why,Laurel?
因为我厌倦了劳作 我感到孤独
Because I was worn out from work,I was lonesome.