Right. It’s that.
没错。是这个。
Where is her photos?
照片放在哪里呢?
Where did I put them?
我把它们放在哪儿了?
I used to have this all organized.
我一般把这个都整理好的。
And now…
而现在…
Okay, let me see.
好吧,让我看看。
This is my mother as a young woman with her friends.
这是我母亲年轻时和她的朋友们。
This is the back of the mansion
她后面的这座宅邸,
where she lived,just out of Shanghai.
就是她在上海时住的。
Okay, so…
好吧,那就…
In my office is a time capsule.
在我的办公室里,就是一个浓缩时代的胶囊。
Seven large,clear plastic bins
有七个大的透明塑料箱子,
safeguarding frozen moments in time,
守护着凝聚的时光,
a past that began before my birth.
可以追溯到我出生之前。
《往昔在何处》
一个作者的回忆,出版于2017年
During the writing of this book,
在我写作这本书时,
I delved into the contents…
我深入研究了这些东西…
memorabilia, letters, photos,and the like…
收藏品,信件,照片,和相关的…
and what I found had the force of glaciers calving.
能让我找到一中解开冰封的力量。
I am not the subject matter of mothers and daughters,
我不是在写母女之间的主题,
or Chinese culture,or immigrant experience
或者中国文化,或者移♥民♥经历的主题,
that most people cite as my domain.
那些在我的领域中,被大部分人引用了。
I am a writer compelled by
我是一名被潜意识中的
a subconscious neediness to know,
求知欲所驱使的作家,
which is different from a need to know.
这不同于,应需要而去获知。
The latter can be satisfied with information.
后者仅满足于获得信息。
The former is a perpetual state of uncertainty
前者是一种永远不确定的状态,
and a tether to the past.
是对往昔的记挂。
《喜福会》
作者:谭恩美
谭恩美:无意的回忆
You know, when you’re writing,
你知道,当你在写作的时候,
I think you’re naturally going through
我认为你会很自然地经历
some kind of subconscious philosophical construct,
某种潜意识的哲学建构,
your own cosmology,
你自己的宇宙观,
how the world is put together,
世界是如何组成的,
and how events happen,
事件是如何发生的,
and what’s related,what’s coincidental.
什么是相关的,什么是巧合。
Okay.
好吧。
It’s not as though I want to change the past.
我并不是想要改变过去。
It’s really trying to understand
它真正试图理解
how these things come together to bring you where you are.
这些东西是如何结合在一起,把你带到你现在的位置上的。
If you want to visit the overflow crowd
如果你想与人满为患的观众交流,
or if we’ve hit your time where you need your down time…
或者我们已经到了,该让你休息的时间了…
– Whatever you want. – No.
-随你们的便。 -不。
It’s whatever you want, actually.
其实是随你的便。
I often think I’m just dreaming my life.
我常常认为,我只是在梦想自己的人生。
You know, I’ve really…there’ve been so many times
你知道,我真的…有那么多次
I’ve nearly died…
我几乎要死了…
car accidents or whatever.
不是车祸,就是其他什么。
Maybe something really happened,
也许真的发生了什么事,
and I’ve been unconscious or in a coma all these years,
我昏迷了许多年,
and I’ve dreamt this life up.
我一直幻想着这样的生活。
Please join me in welcoming Amy Tan.
请和我一起欢迎谭恩美。
What I’d like to do tonight
今晚我想做的是
is tell you what kind of experiences went into me
告诉你们,是什么样的经历
to propel myself into writing.
促使我开始写作。
A lot of people think,well, you know from the…
很多人认为,嗯,你知道从…
My father was the oldest of 12,
我父亲是12个孩子中最大的,
and he became an engineer.
他成为了一名工程师。
Being the oldest, my father had the most responsibility,
作为家中最大的孩子,我的父亲承担着最大的责任,
but as it turns out,he was also the most handsome,
但事实证明,他也是最英俊、
the most articulate,the best English.
最能言善辩、英语最好的人。
Many women would have loved him,
很多女人都会喜欢他,
but he chose my mother.
但他选择了我母亲。
This is 1959.
这是在1959年。
Here we are having a carefree moment.
我们在这里享受无忧无虑的时光。
The family goes off into the future.
这家人去了未来。
In this shot,
在这张中,
that’s my little brother,and that’s me.
那是我的弟弟,这是我。
I have fond memories of my mom playing piano.
我有妈妈弹钢琴的美好回忆。
She would play Mozart,Beethoven, Bach.
她会演奏莫扎特,贝多芬,巴♥赫♥。
(弟弟:约翰.谭)
She was brilliant.
她是很聪明的。
They really wanted us to be
他们真的想让我们
engrossed in the American value,
沉浸在美国的价值观中,
and that’s why I don’t have an accent.
这就是为什么我没有口音。
They really wanted to be perfect Americans,
他们真的想成为完美的美国人,
but I know later in years,they also wanted
但我后来知道,他们也想
to make sure that we understood
确保我们了解
where the Chinese culture came from,
中国文化的来源,
our heritage,and what was respected.
我们的遗产,以及什么是被尊重的。
This is me on my fourth birthday.
这是我四岁生日的照片。
She’s my best friend to this day,
她直到今天都是我最好的朋友,
the one at the end, Sandy.
最后那个,是桑迪。
Her mother and father were members
她的父母都是
of the original Joy Luck Club.
喜福会的会员。
好友:桑迪.布雷纳。
All my parents’ siblings were in China,
我父母的兄弟姐妹都在中国,
so I always considered Amy and her siblings to be my cousins.
所以我一直认为,恩美和她的兄弟姐妹是我的堂兄妹。
The Joy Luck Club was formed by a few couples,
喜福会是由几对中国人
all Chinese, who decided
组建的,他们决定要
they wanted to be an investment group.
成为一个投资团体。
They would pick stocks,review them,
他们会挑选股票,评估它们,
and then they would socialize afterwards.
然后进行社交活动。
Mostly women played Mahjong.
大多数女性打麻将。
The men preferred to play cards.
男人们更喜欢打牌。
Then, about midnight,they would have a feast.
然后,大约在午夜,他们会有一个宴会。
We would love it as children,
我们会像孩子一样喜欢的,
you’d get to stay up late,
你可以熬夜,
get to see our aunties and uncles.
可以看到我们的叔叔阿姨。
What I remember is there’s this comfort level
我记得和这样的人在一起
of being with like people,
有一种舒适的感觉,
especially for my mom who grew up in Shanghai.
尤其是对我在上海长大的妈妈来说。
Auntie Daisy, Amy’s mom,was also from Shanghai.
黛西阿姨,恩美的妈妈,也是上海人。
I can imagine how comforting that would feel.
我能想象那会是多么令人欣慰。
I loved Amy’s dad, Uncle John.
我爱恩美的爸爸,约翰叔叔。
He had a really warm smile,
他有一个非常温暖的微笑,
really warm and welcoming demeanor.
非常热情和欢迎的举止。
My father’s avocation was the ministry,
我父亲的副业是牧师,
and it was my mother who made him quit the ministry
是我母亲让他辞去牧师工作的,
because it was a life of poverty.
因为那是一种贫穷的生活。
He went back to his former occupation
他回到了以前从事的
in engineering.
工程行业。
He worked seven days a week.
他一周工作七天。
My mother worked as well.
我的母亲也工作。
He also was going to school
他还在上学,
and getting a master’s degree,
并获得了硕士学位,
and in his spare time,
在业余时间,
he was still substitute preaching.
他仍然在从事布道副业。
Auntie Daisy was a spitfire.
黛西阿姨是一个火爆脾气。
She was small,she spoke rapidly.
她个子矮小,语速很快。
I could hear her voice,like, “Amy, ah…”
我能听到她的声音,好像在说,“恩美,啊…”
With this furrowed brow.
还皱着眉头。
This is a mother who would tell me things like,
这位母亲会告诉我这样的话:
“You should never let anyone tell you
“你不应该让任何人告诉你
who you should be or what you should do.”
应该成为什么样的人,或者你应该做什么。”
“You should never let anyone talk down to you.”
“你不应该让别人居高临下地对你说话。”
“You should never feel you have to get married
“如果你不想结婚,你永远不应该
if you don’t wanna get married.”
觉得你必须结婚。”
“And no one should tell you you must have a baby,
“没有人应该告诉你,你必须要一个孩子,
not your husband,not your mother-in-law,
你的丈夫、你的婆婆、
not your friends.”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!