Please, it’s very important. I should be so much obliged.
好的,等等
All right. Just a minute.
– 非常谢谢 – 你知道我们几分钟后就要关门了
– Thank you very much. – We close in a few minutes, you know.
是的,我知道
Yes, I know.
– 亲爱的,我到处都在找你 – 快走开,请不要这样
– Darling, I’ve been looking for you everywhere. – Please go away. Please don’t.
– 我在看每一趟车 – 请走吧
– I’ve watched every train. – Please go away.
– 我不能让你这样 – 你必须,这样会比较好,真的
– I can’t leave you like this. – You must. It’ll be better, really it will.
你真的很残酷,他这么早回来只是意外
You’re being dreadfully cruel. It was just an accident that he came back early.
– 他不知道你是谁,他没有看到你 – 他笑了不是吗
– He doesn’t know who you are. He never even saw you. – He laughed, didn’t he?
– 我想你和他一起讨论我就像男人在一起讨论世界 – 我们没有谈起你
– I suppose you spoke of me together as men of the world. – We didn’t speak of you.
– 我们说些关于不存在的生物 – 你为什么不跟他说?
– We spoke of some nameless creature who has no reality. – Why didn’t you tell him?
你为什么不跟他说我们很便宜,很没有勇气?
Why didn’t you say we were cheap and low and without courage?
– 不要这么说,萝拉,静下来了 – 是真的
– Stop it, Laura. Pull yourself together. – It’s true.
没有这样的事,我们彼此相爱着,这就是所有的问题
It’s nothing of the sort. We know we love each other. That’s all that matters.
这不是所有的问题,其他的也有
It isn’t all that matters. Other things matter too.
自尊还有自重,我不能在继续下去了
Self-respect matters, and decency. I can’t go on any longer.
难道你真的想走?以后都不来见我了吗?
Could you really say good-bye, never see me again?
没错,如果你能帮助我的话
Yes, if you’d help me.
我爱你,萝拉,我会一辈子爱你
I love you, Laura. I shall love you always until the end of my life.
因为我知道一些事情,所以现在我不能看你
I can’t look at you now because I know something.
我知道这是结束的开始
I know that this is the beginning of the end…
不是我对你爱的结束,是我们在一起的结束
not the end of my loving you, the end of our being together.
但是还没有,亲爱的,还没有
But not quite yet, darling. Please, not quite yet.
是的,还没有
Very well. Not quite yet.
我知道,今天晚上你的感觉觉得肮脏
I know what you feel about this evening… about the sordidness of it.
我知道我们不同生活的压力,彼此远离的生活
I know about the strain of our different lives… our lives apart from each other.
犯罪的感觉,做错事的感觉,很强烈是吗
The feeling of guilt, doing wrong is too strong, isn’t it?
我们要在一起,要付出的实在是太多了
Too great a price to pay for the happiness we have together.
这些我都知道,因为我也是这样
I know all this because it’s the same for me too.
你现在可以看我我很好了
You can look at me now. I’m all right.
我们很小心,我们自己准备
Let’s be very careful. Let’s prepare ourselves.
忽然不理了,无论是多么的勇敢,还是令人钦佩的都是很残忍♥的
A sudden break now, however brave and admirable, would be too cruel.
我们不能对我们的自己的心这么残忍♥
We can’t do such violence to our hearts and minds.
好的
Very well.
– 我要走了 – 我知道
– I’m going away. – I see.
– 还没有结束 – 还没有结束
– But not quite yet. – Please, not quite yet.
– 现在是十点十分,要关门了 – 是吗
– That’s the 10:10. It’s after closing time. – Oh, is it?
– 我要关门了 – 好的
– I shall have to lock up. – All right.
– 我想要你答应我一些事情 – 什么?
– I want you to promise me something. – What is it?
答应我,无论你是多么的不开心
Promise me that however unhappy you are…
还有无论你是怎么的考虑事情
and however much you think things over,
– 下个星期四我们再见面 – 哪里?
– that you’ll meet me again next Thursday. – Where?
十二点半在医院外面
Outside the hospital at 12:30.
– 好的,我答应 – 我想和你说,我想跟你解释
– All right. I promise. – I’ve got to talk to you. I’ve got to explain.
– 想要离开? – 是的
– About going away? – Yes.
– 你会去哪里?你能去哪里? – 你不能放弃你的练习
– Where will you go? Where can you go? – You can’t give up your practice.
我收到了一个工作消息,我不打算跟你说的
I’ve had a job offered me. I wasn’t going to tell you.
我也不想接受的,但是我知道,现在是唯一的出路了
I wasn’t going to take it, but I know now it’s the only way out.
– 哪里? – 很远的地方,约翰尼斯堡
– Where? – A long way away… Johannesburg.
– 哦,亚历克 – 我的兄弟在那里
– Oh, Alec. – My brother’s out there.
他们开了家新的医院,他们希望我去
They’re opening a new hospital. They want me in it.
是个好机会,真的,我会带马德琳还有孩子
It’s a fine opportunity, really. I’ll take Madeleine and the boys.
这会让我很痛苦的,难道真的要分开吗
It’s been torturing me… the necessity of making a decision one way or the other.
我没有告诉任何人,甚至是马德琳
I haven’t told anybody, not even Madeleine.
我不能忍♥受要离开你
I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving you,
但是现在我知道很快就要发生了
but now I see it’s got to happen soon anyway.
差不多是已经发生了
It’s almost happening already.
斯坦
Stanley!
你想什么时候走
When will you go?
差不多是马上一到两个星期
Almost immediately, in about two weeks’ time.
– 很近是吗? – 你想我留下来吗?
– Quite near, isn’t it? – Do you want me to stay?
– 难道你想我拒绝这个条件? – 不要这么傻了,亚历克
– Do you want me to turn down the offer? – Don’t be foolish, Alec.
– 我会听你的任何话的 – 亲爱的请不要这样说
– I’ll do whatever you say. – That’s unkind of you, my darling.
到凯特沃斯的火车已经停在三站台了
The train for Ketchworth is now arriving at platform three.
你对我不是很生气是吗
You’re not angry with me, are you?
不,我不生气
No, I’m not angry.
我觉得我真的没有生气,我只是觉得很累
I don’t think I’m anything, really. I just feel tired.
– 原谅我 – 原谅你什么?
– Forgive me? – Forgive you for what?
一切从第一次见到你
For everything… for meeting you in the first place,
为了拿开眼里的粗砂
for taking the piece of grit out of your eye,
原谅我爱上你给你带了这么多的痛苦
for loving you, for bringing you so much misery.
如果你能够原谅我的话,我会原谅你的
I’ll forgive you if you’ll forgive me.
星期四
Thursday.
所有的都是一个星期以前
All that was a week ago.
真的很难相信时间过得这么快
It’s hardly credible that it should be so short a time.
今天是我们最后在一起了
Today was our last day together…
我们生命中的最后在一起的日子
our very last together in all our lives.
我十二点半在医院外和他相见,正和我答应的一样
I met him outside the hospital as I had promised at 12:30…
今天中午十二点半
at 12:30 this morning.
仅仅是这一次
That was only this morning.
我们又开车来到了乡村,但是这一次他租了辆车
We drove into the country again, but this time he hired a car.
在我们一起走的时候,我不停的为他点烟
I lit cigarettes for him every now and then as we went along.
我们说的不是很多,我觉得很麻木,人也没有什么精神
We didn’t talk much. I felt numbed and hardly alive at all.
我们在一间小饭店里吃了午饭
We had lunch in a village pub.
后面我们又来到了相同的那座桥上
Afterwards, we went to the same bridge over the stream,
以前当我们一起来的那座桥上
the bridge that we’d been to before.
在那有几个小时,但是时间过的飞快
Those last few hours went by so quickly.
在我们穿过车站的时候,我不停的在想
As we walked through the station I remember thinking,
这是和亚历克在一起的最后一段时间了
“This is the last time with Alec.
以后我还能够看见这一切,但是没有亚历克了
I shall see all this again, but without Alec.”
我尽量让自己不要想
I tried not to think of it,
不要毁坏了我们最后在一起的时间
not to let it spoil our last moments together.
亲爱的,你还好吗
Are you all right, darling?
是的,我很好
Yes, I’m all right.
我希望我能够说些话没有什么关系
I wish I could think of something to say. It doesn’t matter…
– 什么也不要说,我的意思是 – 我想晚点坐车,先送送你
– not saying anything, I mean. – I’ll miss my train and see you to yours.
– 不要这样,我来送你,我更愿意这样 – 好的
– Please don’t. I’ll come over to your platform. I’d rather. – Very well.
你认为我们还会相见吗?
Do you think we shall ever see each other again?
我不知道,至少几年内很难
I don’t know. Not for years anyway.
孩子会长大了
The children will all be grown up.
我想他们会不会相见,然后彼此相识?
I wonder if they’ll ever meet and know each other.
我能不能给你写信?只是偶尔的
Couldn’t I write to you, just once in a while?
不,亚历克,你知道我们之间的约定
No, Alec, please. You know we promised.
好的,亲爱的,我真的很爱你
Well, all right, dear. I do love you so very much.
我全心全意的爱着你
I love you with all my heart and soul.
我想死了
I want to die.
只要我能死
If only I could die.
如果你死了,你会忘记我的,我想要记住
If you died, you’d forget me. I want to be remembered.
是的,我知道,我也会的
Yes, I know. I do too.
– 我们还有点的时间 – 萝拉,看到你真的很高兴
– We’ve still got a few minutes. – Laura! What a lovely surprise.
亲爱的,我刚刚一直在买♥♥东西
My dear, I’ve been shopping till I’m dropping.
我的腿都要断了,我的口好渴
My feet are nearly falling off. My throat’s parched.
我想我们应该在斯宾多喝杯茶,但是我怕坐不到车
I thought of having tea at Spindle’s, but I was terrified of losing the train.
– 亲爱的 – 这是哈威医生
– Oh, dear! – Oh, this is Dr. Harvey.
– 你好 – 你好,能给我倒杯茶吗?
– How do you do? – How do you do? Would you be a dear and get me a cup of tea?
– 我认为我不能拖着我的老骨头到柜台 – 不要这样
– I don’t think I could drag my poor bones to the counter. – No, please.
在我们的最后几分钟遇见这样的人真是很悲惨
It was cruel of fate to be against us right up to the very last minute.
多利密斯特,让人讨厌的多利密斯特
Dolly Messiter… poor, well-meaning, irritating Dolly Messiter…
撞见了我们最后在一起的珍贵的几分钟
crashing into those last few precious minutes we had together.
她喋喋不休的在那里说着,但是我什么也没有听到
She chattered and fussed, but I didn’t hear what she said.
– 我觉得有点头晕 – 亲爱的,没有糖
– I felt dazed and bewildered. – Oh, dear. No sugar.
– 在勺子里 – 亚历克做的很漂亮,表现的很有礼貌
– It’s in the spoon. – Alec behaved so beautifully, with such perfect politeness.
不会有人知道他心理想的是什么
No one could have guessed what he was really feeling.
然后那时候
And then…
– 那是你的车 – 是的,我知道
– There’s your train. – Yes, I know.
– 你不和我们一起走吗? – 我的方向是相反的,我是到科列尔
– Oh, aren’t you coming with us? – I go in the opposite direction. My practice is in Churley.
– 我明白了 – 我现在是个全科医师
– Oh, I see. – I’m a general practitioner at the moment.
– 哈威先生下个星期就要到非洲了 – 多么可怕啊
– Dr. Harvey’s going out to Africa next week. – Oh, how thrilling.
火车现在到了第四站台
The train now arriving at platform four…
是五点四十到科列尔的
is the 5:40 for Churley, Leigh Green and Langdon.
– 我要走了 – 是的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!