In the way of things,【西雅图 1935年】
事情是这样的
fathers are, by tradition and compassion,
父亲们 处于传统和怜悯
supposed to leave their sons at least a little legacy of wisdom
应该留给他们儿子一些智慧的传承
to help them get through life.
帮助他们度过以后的人生
But I don’t remember my father ever saying anything memorable
但是我不记得我的父亲有说过什么令我难忘的话
except those seven words he said that Christmas season when I was four years old
除了在我四岁那年的圣诞节父亲对我说的七个字
Wait here, son.
儿子
I’ll be right back.
我很快回来
I grew up an orphan, like many other children abandoned during the Depression.
我变成了一个孤儿 就像其他许多在萧条时期被抛弃的孩子一样
And as a young boy
然后在我还很年轻的时候
I ran off to pursue my dream of becoming a writer.
我逃出孤儿院去追寻我的梦想 成为一名作家
It was that dream that gave me hope during those dark years.
这个梦想让我撑过了那些黑暗的时刻
That and a bigger-than-life writer and adventurer
是梦想和一位大名鼎鼎的作家与冒险家
by the name of Ernest Hemingway.
他叫欧内斯特·海明威
Many years later, I was working as a reporter at The Miami Globe.
多年过去 我在迈阿密环球报找到了一份记者的工作
I had written Hemingway a letter,
我给海明威写了一封信
but I couldn’t get it right.
但是我一直写不好
It had to be perfect
这封信必须完美
heartfelt and genuine.
诚恳和真挚
What do you say to the man that changed your life
你会对改变了你一生的男人说什么呢
and never even knew you?
而且他还根本不知道你是谁?
I needed to tell him how much he had meant to me.
我需要告诉他他对我来说有着多重大的意义
Copy!
复印!
Scotch, rocks.
苏格兰威士忌 加冰
How’s it goin’, Jimmy?
最近怎么样 吉米?
Don’t ever get married, Eddie.
永远别结婚 埃迪
Did you get into another fight with Maxine? Yep.
你又和玛克欣吵架了? 没错
She was so pissed off, she ripped the wires out from under the dash of my new Chevy.
她气疯了 她甚至都把我新买♥♥的雪佛兰的仪表盘都扯下来了
The things we put up with
我们需要忍♥受这种事
just for that microsecond of ecstasy.
就因为那仅仅一微秒的心醉神迷
A man should never marry.
一个男人永远都不应该结婚
Don’t worry. It’s my goal in life not to.
别担心 不结婚就是我的人生目标
I gotta go, Eddie. All right.
我该走了 埃迪 好的
I was due home hours ago. Adios.【西班牙语】
我几个小时前就应该到家了 拜
Deb, what are y– what are you doing?
黛布 你是在-你在干什么?
This is a beautiful letter.
这封信写的太感人了
Look at you, the nosy Nancy. Do you always read other people’s mail?
看看你自己 爱管闲事的南希 你总是喜欢看别人的信吗?
No. I saw the address on the envelope
不是 我只是看到了信封上的地址
Ernest M. Hemingway, Finca Vigia, San Francisco de Paula, Cuba.
欧内斯特·米勒·海明威 维西亚庄园 圣佛朗西斯科·德帕拉区 古巴
Okay, I know what it says.
是是 我知道上面写的什么
“You gave me hope when I thought there was none left.
“在我一无所有的时候是您给了我希望
In my darkest moments, you were my friend.”
在我生命中最漆黑的时刻 您就是我的挚友”
Deb, that’s a personal letter.
黛布 这是一封私人信件
If I got this letter, I’d fall in love with you instantly.
如果是我收到这封信 我一定会立刻就爱上你
Well, it wasn’t addressed to you.
不过 这封信不是给你的
You’re just afraid to send it, aren’t you?
你是不是害怕把这封信寄出去?
Okay, I– I’m not afraid to send the letter.
嗯 我 我不是害怕
That’s too bad.
那可真遗憾
It’s none of your business. It’s a personal letter.
这一点也不关你的事 这是私人信件
You’re a nosy Nancy too.
你也是一个爱管闲事的南希
City desk. Myers.
本地新闻部 这里是迈尔斯
This is Ernest Hemingway.
我是欧内斯特·海明威
Oh, really? This is Ernest Hemingway?
哦 真的啊? 你是欧尼斯特·海明威?
I got your letter.
我收到了你的信
Hello?
你好?
Uh, uh, yes, sir.
啊 啊 是的 先生
It’s a good letter.
这是一封很好的信
Well– Well, thank you.
啊–嗯 谢谢
I read it about 10 times.
我大概把这封信读了10遍了
Mr. Hemingway, y-your work has meant so much to me.
海明威先生 你的-你所做的一切对我影响都很大
I, uh– M-M-My whole career is–
我 嗯 我-我-我的 整个职业生涯都–
I don’t think you’re old enough to have a whole career yet, kid.
我不认为你还没有老到可以说整个职业生涯这个词 孩子
I’ve been reading your stuff in the Globe.
我读了你在环球报写的文章
You have a tendency to underwrite, which is good.
你很喜欢署名 这很好
Well, thank you.
嗯 谢谢您
You covered the Korean War?
你报道过朝鲜战争?
Uh Are you really talking to Ernest Hemingway?
啊 你是在和真的欧尼斯特·海明威讲话?
I, uh– Yeah, from– from 1951 to ’52, yeah.
我 嗯– 是的 从 从1951年到52年 嗯是
Well, that’s what I did,
我也报道了那个战争
and you know, an honorable profession if you do it right.
然后你知道的 这是一个如果你要好好工作就十分可怕的职业
Yes, sir. Yes, sir.
是先生 是的
That “sir,” not necessary.
那个词”先生” 不说没关系的
You can call me Papa. Everybody does. Okay.
你可以叫我海明威爸爸 其他人都这么叫 好的
Like you said in the letter, I’m your friend.
就像你在信里说的 我是你的挚友
It’s a good letter, kid.
这封信写的很好 孩子
You like to fish?
你喜欢钓鱼吗?
I don’t know the first thing about fishing. I’ve never been fishing.
我对钓鱼一无所知 我从来就没钓过鱼
I don’t even know what to wear or– What do you wear on a boat?
我甚至不知道该穿什么或者–在一艘船上你该怎么穿?
A hat.
一顶帽子
I don’t want to wear the hat. Why? It’s a great hat.
我不想戴这顶帽子 为什么? 这顶帽子很棒啊
It is a great hat. Did you get this hat for me? Yes. I got you a hat. It’s gonna block the sun.
它是不错 这是你专门给我买♥♥的? 是 专门给你买♥♥的 帽子可以帮你遮挡阳光
Thank you for sending the letter.
谢谢你寄出了那封信
You’re welcome.
不用谢
Oye! Venga! Venga!【西班牙语】
嘿!这里!这里!
Hola.【西班牙语】
你好
Good morning.
早上好
Flight okay?
飞的怎么样?
They fed me rum daiquiris on the plane.
飞机上他们提供得其利朗姆酒
I’m– I’m half-bombed.
我–我已经半醉了
Not a bad way to start the day, huh?
算是一天的好开始 哈?
Come on. Let’s go find you a fish.
来吧 我们来给你找一条鱼
Now watch the tip of your rod.
现在看着你杆子的顶端
When it goes up, then you can get some line back.
当它上扬的时候 你就收线
Easy.
放轻松
That’s it!
就是这样!
It feels like a fucking whale.
感觉我钓上了一条巨鲸
Nah, that’s a tuna. Little one.
不 只是一条吞拿鱼 小的那种
Now!
现在!
He’s turned around. Now you can get some line back.
鱼在转圈了 你现在应该收点线回来
You’ve got to ease the rod back.
你应该轻柔的把杆往回拉
When you jerk the rod like that, something’s gotta give.
如果你拉的太急就像刚刚那样 你就得付出点代价了
Usually it’s his face.
一般来说都是这个男人的脸颊
Cheer up, kid.
加油 孩子
No virgin does it right the first time.
每个初学者第一次都表现的不怎么样
It’s a good day. You’ll get another chance.
今天天气很好 你会遇到下一条鱼的
And up! There we go! Keep reeling.
往上! 对! 继续收线!
Let her go. Easy.
让她游一下 放松
And up. Reel!
往上拉 收线!
Oh, she’s a beauty! Look at her!
哦 这条鱼多漂亮 看看!
Beautiful!
漂亮!
Keep working. There you go.
继续 就是这样
There. Now you’re fishing, kid.
对 现在你才是在钓鱼 孩子
Now you’re fishing.
现在你会钓鱼了
Reverse the engine.
反转引擎
Turn the wheel a little. You know, I think you’d better do this.
稍微转一下轮盘 那个 我觉得最好你来操作
Look, kid, the only value we have as human beings
孩子 你看 我们作为人类唯一有价值的地方
are the risks we’re willing to take.
就是这些我们愿意去冒的险
Now, fuck it. Dock her.
现在 倒挡 靠岸
That’s it, now, easy. Let her ease in.
对 就是这样 放松 让她慢慢进去
All right, now put her in reverse.
好了 现在挂倒挡
That’s it.
对没错
Nice job. Thank you.
做的不错 谢谢
You could turn off the engine anytime.
你想什么时候关火都可以
Oh, right.
哦对
Ah, what the hell, kid. You know all this.
哈 管他的 孩子 你都知道的
I talk too much. Boring.
我说的太多了 有点无聊
I wouldn’t say you’re boring.
我并不觉得无聊
I’m just…
我只是…
so fuckin’ shy.
太害羞了
Well, you’re among friends here.
嗯 你在有很多朋友

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!