伯恩利小姐,你是实业家的女儿。
Miss birnley, you’re the daughter of an industrialist.
你必须意识到,不顾后果地利用任何新东西都会破坏脆弱的贸易平衡。
You must realise how reckless exploitation of anything new would upset the delicate balance of trade.
你明白吗?
You understand that?
我开始了。
I am beginning to.
好。好。
Good. Good.
你想抑制它。
You want to suppress it.
但是,先生们,如果你们不能说服他,为什么我可以呢?
But, gentlemen, if you aren’t able to persuade him, why should I be able to?
呃…所有人都很容易受影响,伯恩利小姐。
Er… all men are susceptible, miss birnley.
我…不用说,你是个很有魅力的女孩。
I… I need hardly tell you that you’re a very attractive girl.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
告诉他们我明天去见他们。
Tell them I’ll see them tomorrow.
迈克尔,你说呢?
Well, Michael, what do you say?
这是一个绝望的情况,达芙妮,因为…整个行业。
It’s a desperate situation, Daphne, for the, um… whole industry.
是的。是的,我开始意识到了。
Yes. Yes, I’m beginning to realise that.
没必要解释什么是关键。
There’s no need to explain what’s at stake.
我们已经给了斯特拉顿25万了-你自己看吧。-我当然可以。
We’ve already offered Stratton a quarter of a million, – you can see for yourself. – I can, indeed.
不过既然说到价格,我能得到什么好处呢?
But, since we’re on the subject of price, what do I get out of it?
——birnley小姐!——达芙妮!
– Miss birnley! – Daphne!
在这方面我没有多少经验,但我一直知道这份工作的报酬相对较高。
I haven’t had much experience with these sort of things, but I’ve always understood it was comparatively well paid.
-现在,伯恩利小姐……-这不是开玩笑的事。
– Now, miss birnley… – This isn’t anything to joke about.
我建议2000。
I suggest 2,000.
你对我的评价是不是太低了?
Aren’t you rating my value a little low?
5000不是更公平吗?
Wouldn’t 5,000 be fairer?
– 5000。同意了。——同意。
– 5,000. Agreed. – Agreed.
很高兴和你做生意,约翰爵士。
It’s a pleasure to do business with you, sir John.
达芙妮?
Well, Daphne?
也是时候了!
And about time too!
我想和你谈谈,西德尼。
I want to talk to you, Sidney.
我从没想过你会站在他们那边。
I never thought you would be on their side.
你可能不相信我,西德尼,但我想为你好。
You may not believe me, Sidney, but I want what’s best for you.
我…我和你一样不喜欢这样。
I… don’t like this any more than you do.
我讨厌这个城市。
I hate this town.
轧机。一切。
The mill. Everything.
只想着赚钱的人。
People who think of nothing but money-grubbing.
你不觉得吗?
Don’t you feel like that?
是的。
Yes.
我想离开这里,西德尼。
I want to get away, Sidney.
我想看看这个肮脏小镇以外的世界。
I want to see something of the world beyond this dirty little town.
在有人知道如何生活的地方为自己创造生活。
To make a life for myself where there are people who know the way to live.
意大利,也许。法国?
Italy, maybe. France?
-那你为什么不呢?——我不能。
– Well, why don’t you? – I can’t.
但是你可以。
But you could.
你可以带我去。
And you could take me.
如何?
How?
我知道他们给了你什么。
I know what they offered you.
你可以在上面度过余生。
You could live the rest of your life on it.
去任何地方。你喜欢怎么做就怎么做。
Go anywhere. Do as you please.
如果你想要我…我也会来。
And if you want me… I’d come too.
怎么了?
What’s wrong?
我很抱歉。不。
I’m sorry. No.
即使是指我也不行?
Not even if it means me?
不。
No.
谢谢你,西德尼。
Thank you, Sidney.
对什么?
What for?
如果你答应了,我就掐死你了。
If you’d said yes, I’d have strangled you.
现在,我们得把那套衣服送到报纸上去。
Now, we’ve got to get that suit to the newspapers.
给他们看,告诉他们整个故事。
Show it to them and tell them the whole story.
那会让一切都曝光,他们就再也装不上了。
That will blow the lid off everything, and they’ll never get it back on.
但如何?
But how?
你愿意赌上性命吗?
Would you stake your life on this?
你可以向媒体断然否认。
You can issue a categorical denial to the press.
这种物质并不存在。
The stuff does not exist.
它从未被发明过。这是不可能的。
It has never been invented. It never could be.
这里没有任何恐慌。
There is no panic here whatsoever.
伯恩利先生肯定会证实的。
Certainly mr birnley will confirm that.
不,不,不。天啊,戴维森。
No, no, no. Good heavens, Davidson.
我告诉过你用你自己的方式对付他们。
I told you to deal with them in your own way.
是的,birnley先生。他们出来。
Yes, mr birnley. They’ve come out.
——什么?——在罢♥工♥。
– What? – On strike.
罢♥工♥吗?
Strike?
他们把整个工厂都挖出来了。
They’ve got the whole mill out.
我试着给你打电♥话♥,但你一直忙个不停。
I tried to get you on the telephone, but you kept on being engaged.
你最好把他们弄回来,否则会一败俱伤。
You better get them back, otherwise there’ll be a landslide.
——滑坡?-伯恩利先生,我……天哪!
– Landslide? – Now, mr birnley, I… Good heavens!
那就去做点什么吧!
Then go and do something!
他们想保证我们不会投入生产。
They want a guarantee that we’re not going into production.
-但我们不打算这么做。-这就是我们要防止的。
– But we’re not intending to. – That’s what we’re out to prevent.
是的,我知道。但他们不会相信任何人的话。
Yes, I know. But they won’t take one’s word for anything.
哦,这太疯狂了!
Oh, this is insanity!
我的意思是,他们害怕失业,所以他们停止工作。
I mean, they’re afraid of being out of work and so they down tools.
我该怎么办呢?
What am I to do?
让他们上来。到房♥子那边去。我会和他们谈谈。
Get them up here. Up to the house. I’ll talk to them.
你还在等什么?
Well, what are you waiting for?
但我们能给他们什么保证呢?我们不能控制它。
But what guarantee can we give them? We don’t control the thing.
哦,我不知道。
Oh, I don’t know.
约翰爵士……
Sir John…
只不过是五便士的事。你很不合理。
It’s only a matter of five pence. You’re very unreasonable.
-原谅我…——正确的。
– Excuse me… – Right.
不,不,你能给我五便士吗?
No, no, can you let me have five pence?
-没有警♥察♥。-多一点就行了。
– No coppers at all. – Well, more would do.
我有3和11,但我想要4和4。
I’ve got three and eleven, but I want four and four.
我得去曼彻斯特了。这是至关重要的。
I’ve got to get to Manchester. It’s vital.
我一做完就可以还你钱。比还你还多。
I could pay you back as soon as I’ve done it. More than pay you back.
我可以给你100英镑。我的房♥子里有些钱。
I could give you £100. I’ve got some money at my digs.
那就去拿吧。
Better get it, then.
或者其他任何人。和弗兰克会。
Kierlaw or anyone else. And frank’ll.
sid !嘿!等待我!
It’s sid! Hey! Wait for me!
Sid !
Sid!
希德,我想和你谈谈!
Sid, I want to talk to you!
现在不能说话。我得找到一先令。
Can’t talk now. I’ve got to find a shilling.
希德,你要去哪?让你的房♥间。
Sid, where are you going? Your room’s let.
-花瓶在哪里?-你是谁?
– Where’s that vase? – Who are you?
希德,房♥间租给了一个老家伙。
Sid, the room’s let to some old geezer.
哦,请原谅。
Oh, I beg your pardon.
这是怎么呢请你离开这个房♥间好吗?
What’s going on? Will you please kindly leave this room?
——哦,sid。——对不起。
– Oh, sid. – Sorry.
希德,我就知道你最后会是对的。他们试图软化你。
Sid, I knew you’d turn out right in the end. They tried to soften you up.
-是的,他们把我锁在阁楼里了。-你不能告诉我
– Yes, they locked me in the attic. – Oh, you can’t tell me.
人的生命对他们来说毫无意义,但你逃脱了。
Human life means nothing to ’em, but you got away.
-是的,我现在得走了。-别担心。
– Yes, and I must go now. – Don’t you worry.
他们不会再找你麻烦了。我现在要去参加一个会议。
They won’t get at you again. I’m going up to a meeting there now.
等我告诉他们!多好的王牌啊!
Wait till I tell them! What a trump card!
是的,谢谢,贝莎。8点13分有一趟去曼彻斯特的火车。
Yes, thanks, Bertha. There’s a train to Manchester at 813.
曼彻斯特?对什么?
Manchester? What for?
把整个故事告诉报纸。
To give the newspapers the whole story.
来,等一下。什么故事吗?
Here, wait a minute. What story?
整个事情。我的发明以及人们如何试图阻止它。
The whole thing. My invention and how people tried to stop it.
-但他们不会的——Sid !
– But they’re not going to. – Sid!
-你站在哪一边?-和你一样。
– Whose side are you on? – The same as you.
难道你不明白吗?他们想阻止它。
Don’t you understand? They want to stop it.
我们也一样。
So do we.
席德,听着。不,sid。
Sid, listen. No, sid.
席德,别走!
Sid, don’t go!
Sid !现在,看,sid !
Sid! Now, look, sid!
Sid !Sid !席德,不要……
Sid! Sid! Sid, don’t…
你能别说了吗?
Will you please stop?
请停止!
Please stop!
——停止它。阻止它。——哦!
– Stop it. Stop it. – Oh!
我去叫华生太太。
I’ll fetch mrs Watson.
在这里,你不能这么做。这是我的房♥间。打开那扇门。
Here, you can’t do that. That’s my room. Open that door.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!