-肯德里克不会忍♥受的。——老爷……让我们把这个问题放在一边。
– Kendrick will not endure it. – Milords… Let us leave this question.
还有别的事吗?
Any further business before us?
陛下,有个永恒的话题,我们一次又一次地讨论,却总是悬而未决,那就是蒂龙在阿尔斯特的叛乱。
There is one perpetual subject, Your Majesty, which we take up time after time and always leave unsettled, Tyrone’s rebellion in Ulster.
它不再是闷烧的煤了。
It’s no longer a smoldering coal.
这是一场从北向南蔓延的大火。
It’s a running fire spreading north to south.
-什么意思?——男人。钱。船只。
– Which means? – Men. Money. Ships.
不仅如此,陛下,你还是个领袖。
And more than that, Your Majesty a leader.
一个护国公,他会带着火和剑从这头到沼泽再到那头直到再也没有叛军。
A lord protector, who’ll carry fire and sword from end to the bogs to the other till there are no more rebels.
这个领导是谁?
Who is this leader?
除非我错了……一位久经考验的将军,埃塞克斯勋爵。
Unless I am wrong… a proved and able general, Lord Essex.
是的,确实。埃塞克斯,埃塞克斯。
Yes, indeed. Essex, Essex.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
艾塞克斯是规矩的主人。
Essex is master of the ordinance.
我需要他留在这里。
I need him here.
还有谁?
Who else?
沃尔特爵士在会前告诉我,如果陛下愿意,他可以去爱尔兰。
Sir Walter told me before the meeting that he would go into Ireland if Your Majesty wished.
但我们都认为艾塞克斯勋爵应该和他一起去。
But we both believe that Lord Essex should go with him.
-以什么身份?-领导一个平等的命令。
– In what capacity? – Leading an equal command.
两位实力相当的将军,南北方登陆,合力击溃泰隆。
Two generals of equal par, landing north and south and meeting to crush Tyrone.
然后什么?爱尔兰会有两个领主保护者吗?
What then? Would you have two lord protectors in Ireland?
任命罗利为护国公是我们的主意。
It was our thought to name Raleigh as lord protector.
我在他下面?
And I under him?
既然你的加的斯之旅结束得如此糟糕,看来罗利应该是第一名。
Since your Cadiz adventure ended so lamely, it seems that Raleigh should have first place in this.
我的Ca…-这是故意的侮辱!-这是显而易见的事实。
My Ca… – That’s a deliberate insult! – It’s a plain truth.
我是为了国家利益说话。
I speak for the good of the state.
你撒谎!除了你自己,你从不为任何理由说话。
You lie! You never spoke for any cause but your own.
马上停止!
Stop this instantly!
让你生气的人已经赢了,埃塞克斯。
Whoever makes you angry has won already, Essex.
你能让我忍♥受这个簿记员的侮辱吗?这个只挥过羽毛笔的笔务员?
Would you make me swallow insults from this bookkeeper… this pen-pusher who never waved anything more dangerous than a quill?
你在加的斯没有错吗?
Well, were you not wrong at Cadiz?
这不是你能说的。
That’s not for you to say.
如果我去爱尔兰,我将以护国公的身份独自前往。
And if I go to Ireland, I’ll go as lord protector and alone.
你会吗?
Will you?
我对此有话要说。
Ll have something to say about that.
你看不出他们想干什么吗?
Don’t you see what they’re trying to do?
我很清楚塞西尔和他的朋友们……只在走投无路时才露出牙齿的黄色尖叫老鼠。
I see what Cecil and his friends are plainly enough… Yellow squeaking rats who only show their teeth when cornered.
——艾塞克斯。-他们鞠躬、微笑、搔首弄姿。
– Essex. – Who bow and smile and scrape.
他们会通宵监视挖洞啃我们脚下的椅子和地板。
And spend their nights spying burrowing and gnawing the chairs and floors out from under us all.
夫人,这太棒了!
Madam, this is fantastic!
如果我们要讨论爱尔兰保护者…爱尔兰随你的便。
If we’re to discuss the Irish protector… Do what you wish about Ireland.
我洗手不干了。
I wash my hands of it.
这一点我们毫不怀疑。
That we don’t doubt.
这是一项困难、危险的工作……所以我们怎么能责怪埃塞克斯勋爵拒绝冒险呢?
It’s a difficult, dangerous job… so how can we blame Lord Essex for refusing to risk it?
你挑战我去吗?
You challenge me to go?
把我需要的人手给我,夫人。让我来指挥。
Give me the men I need, madam. Put me in command.
如果我没能打败蒂龙,你可以拿走我的剑折断它因为我再也不会用它了。
And if I fail to crush Tyrone, you may take my sword and break it for I’ll never use it again.
哦,你这个傻瓜,你这个傻瓜!
Oh, you fool, you fool!
-他们向我挑战!-没关系。
– They’ve challenged me! – It doesn’t matter.
你不能去。你不明白吗?
You must not go. Don’t you see?
我当然明白了。
Of course I see.
我知道一旦我走了,他们就会在家里把我剥光,两败俱伤。
I know that once I’ve gone, they’ll try to strip me here at home, ruin me both ways.
我对他们说:“试试吧。”
And I say to them, “Try it.”
我要去,也要回来。
I’ll go and I’ll return too.
对罗利和塞西尔夫妇来说比我走之前更麻烦了。马克我。
More of a problem to the Raleighs and the Cecils than before I left. Mark me.
陛下,我们现在无法拒绝您的盛情。
We can hardly refuse this gracious offer now, Your Majesty.
不。
No.
我想没有。
I suppose not.
委员会解散。
Council is dismissed.
明天再见。
Meet again tomorrow.
你的决定呢?
And your decision?
决定的。我去了爱尔兰。
Decision’s made. I go to Ireland.
是的,去爱尔兰。
Yes, go to Ireland.
见鬼去吧!
And go to the devil too!
好吗?
Well?
我的宫廷小丑曾经说过:“所有最愚蠢的人都来自爱尔兰……但只有更蠢的人才会去那儿。”
My court jester once said, “All the best fools come from Ireland… but only a greater fool would go there.”
你该有我的脑子,他是你的。
You should have my fool’s brain, and he yours.
你会从交易中获利。
You’d profit by the exchange.
谢谢您,陛下。
Thank you, Majesty.
哦,你!
Oh, you!
你出生的那天,是哪颗恶毒的星星升上了我的天空?
What malicious star rose in my sky the day you were born?
你是个在议会里的孩子。
You’re a child in council.
我看到他们把你牵扯进来,并试图警告你,但没用。
I saw them draw you into this and tried to warn you, but it was no use.
为什么不在爱尔兰赢呢?
Why not win in Ireland?
没有人会赢。
No man wins there.
爱尔兰对每一个在那里冒险的指挥官来说都是致命的。
Ireland’s been fatal to every commander who risked his fortune there.
即使是最聪明的士兵也会发现这很困难。
Even the cleverest of soldiers would find it difficult.
但你对指挥军队的机会如此痴迷以至于你会追随魔鬼攻击天堂。
But you’re so dazzled with the chance to command an army that you’d follow the devil in an assault on heaven.
这是魔鬼不知道的一件事。
That’s one thing the devil doesn’t know.
天堂总是被风暴所占领。
Heaven’s always taken by storm.
罗伯特……我不能让你走。
Robert… I can’t let you go.
我再也见不到你了。
Ll never see you again.
啊,愚蠢的恐惧,亲爱的。
Ah, foolish fears, my darling.
记住这个……当我回来,一切都好了,你以为一切都会变糟。
Remember this… that when I come back and all turns out well you thought all would turn out badly.
靠近点,然后……告诉我一切都会好起来的。
Come closer and… and tell me everything will turn out well.
事实也会如此。它会的。
And so it will. So it will.
-你真的想去吗?——是的。
– Do you really want to go? – Yes.
不。不。
No. No.
但我说过我会的,我必须这么做。
But I’ve said I would, and I must.
现在还不晚。
It’s not too late yet.
记得……如果你输了,我们就会分♥裂♥。
Remember… if you lose, it will divide us.
如果你赢了,我们也会分♥裂♥。
If you win, that will divide us too.
我会赢,没有什么能分♥裂♥我们。
I’ll win, and nothing will divide us.
相信我就这么难吗?
Is it so hard to believe in me?
不。
No.
如果你需要,我甚至会原谅你。
I’ll even forgive you if you need it.
这里。
Here.
我父亲给了我这枚戒指,说如果他对我发脾气,把戒指给他,他就会原谅我。
My father gave me this ring and said if ever he lost his temper with me, to bring it to him and he’d forgive me.
还有一次,很久以后……当他忘记了,生气的时候……它救了我的命。
And once, long after… when he’d forgotten and was angry… it saved my life.
亲爱的,如果你生气了,戒指可帮不了你。
Darling, if you’re ever angry, rings won’t help.
是的,这个会。
Yes, this one would.
我会想象你现在的样子……的确如此。
I’d think of you as you are now… and it would.
我买♥♥了……在你不在的时候想起你。
I’ll take it… to remember you in absence.
不。你有更好的理由接受它。
No. Take it for a better reason.
接受它吧,因为岁月漫长,充满了尖锐而疲惫的日子,这些日子把我们变成了我们所不认识的人……我和你,现在彼此相爱……
Take it because the years are long and full of sharp, wearing days, that change us into people we do not know… lest you and I, who love each other now…
某天早上醒来,你会发现远方陌生世界里的陌生人和敌人。
should wake some morning strangers and enemies in an alien world, far off.
你害怕你不会一直爱我吗?
You fear you’ll not always love me?
不。
No.
你不会一直让我爱你。
That you will not always let me love you.
把你们的队伍围起来。
Close up your ranks there.
你知道掉队的下场。
You know what happens to stragglers.
左翼,接近!
Left flank, close in!
我们的损失越来越严重了,大人。
Our losses are growing serious, my lord.
损失我能预料,也能理解。
Losses I expect and can understand.
当敌人在这片沼泽上撤退,离我们的基地越来越远时,这种情况就会一直持续下去。
It’s this forever going on and on after a retreating enemy over these fever bogs, getting further and further from our base.
现在贸然向前一步泰龙就会落入陷阱。
One bold, swift advance now and we’d have Tyrone in a trap.
没有武器,弹♥药♥,甚至生活必需品,我们怎么前进?
How can we advance lacking arms, ammunition, necessities even?
太后好像忘了我们。
The queen seems to have forgotten us.
她比忘记我们还糟糕。
She’s worse than forgotten us.
有个从伦敦来的信使,大人。
There’s a courier from London, milord.
最后。他在哪里?把他叫来。
At last. Where is he? Fetch him here.
连水都腐烂了。
Even the water’s rotten.
来了。
Come.
-就这些吗?-是的,大人。
– Well, is this all? – Yes, milord.
没有女王陛下的信吗?
No letter from Her Majesty?
没有,老爷。塞西尔大人就给了我这么多。
No, milord. That’s all Lord Cecil gave me.
你撒谎。你撒谎!
You lie. You lie!
-谁对你动了手脚?快……-不,大人,我发誓…-等等,伙计。不喜欢。-我告诉你,他在撒谎!
– Who tampered with you? Quick… – No, milord, I swear… – Wait, man. Don’t. – He lies, I tell you!
她不会把我们留在这儿几个星期,除了几封简短的电报,她一句话也不说。
She wouldn’t leave us here all these weeks without one single word from her except bare dispatches.
爱尔兰人不给我人手、食物和武器,我怎么能打败他们?连我的请求都不回答吗?
How the devil am I gonna beat these Irish when she denies me men and food and arms… and doesn’t even bother to answer my pleas for them?
除了这些,她一个字也没说。
And not a single word from her except these.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!