The kids I met in the homes were already scarred
我在庇护所遇到的孩子们已经伤痕累累
and beaten by life, incapable of uniting.
被生活打倒, 团结不起来了
They only listened to their survival instincts.
他们只听从生存的本能
When you see dogs love their friends and bite their enemies,
你看狗 他们敌我分明
quite unlike people, you always have to mix love and hate.
而人完全不同, 他们的爱和恨总是纠缠不清
You ever have any romantic relationships?
你谈过恋爱吗?
That’s not true.
事实并非如此
There was one, actually.
还真有一个
Selma.
塞尔玛
Hello.
你好
Douglas, right?
道格拉斯, 对吧?
I’m Selma.
我是塞尔玛
The librarian tells me you’re a great reader.
图书管♥理♥员♥告诉我, 你很爱看书
Have you read this before?
你以前读过这本书吗?
Do you know Shakespeare?
你知道莎士比亚吗?
Oh, my God, I’m about to change your world.
哦, 天哪, 那我要颠覆你的世界了
Shakespeare is the greatest writer of all time.
莎士比亚是有史以来最伟大的作家
You can imagine, all these playwrights are inspired
你可以想象, 所有这些剧作家都受过
by this man that wrote plays 400 years ago.
400 年前就创作剧本的这个人的启发
And the best one, in my opinion, is Macbeth.
而在我看来, 最好的一部是《麦克白》
She was a counselor, taught a drama class.
她是辅♥导♥员, 教戏剧课
As beautiful as the sunbeams,
像阳光一样美丽,
she could talk about Shakespeare like nobody.
她谈起莎士比亚来如数家珍
She taught me how to put on makeup.
她教我如何化妆
She said that if you didn’t like your reflection, you just had to change it.
她说, 如果你不喜欢你在镜子里的样子, 你只需要改变它
You know, nothing proves that the reflection
要知道, 谁也没有证明镜子里反射出来的
in the mirror is fake and we are real.
我们是假的以及我们是真的
Maybe the reflection is convinced that it is reality and we simply copy.
也许镜子里的我们才是现实, 而我们才是复♥制♥品
I’ve never met anyone like her.
我从没见过像她这样的人
Okay, your turn.
好了 轮到你了
Moustache.
小胡子
I can’t.
我做不到
Of course you can.
你当然可以
You can do anything you want.
你可以做任何你想做的事
You can be a king or a prince.
你可以是国王, 也可以是王子
You can be a beggar or a flower.
你可以是乞丐, 也可以是鲜花
Anything you choose.
任君选择
Okay, okay.
好吧 好吧
She said the theater was like a religion,
她说, 剧院就像一种宗教
a propo position that the true believer experiences as reality.
是个可以让真正的信徒将那里的体验视为现实的一个好地方
And remember, if you can play Shakespeare, you can play anything.
记住, 如果你能演莎士比亚, 你就能演任何角色
♪ as in truth I speak to you as if from some high hill. ♪
♪ 就像我从高山上对你们说话一样 ♪
♪ True, and you kill me from that high part, ♪
♪ 没错, 你从高处杀了我 ♪
♪ that one harsh word fall upon my heart. ♪
♪ 那一句刺耳的话落在了我的心上 ♪
♪ My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words of my tongue’s utterings yet. ♪
♪ 我的耳朵还没有听过我的舌头说出的一百句话 ♪
♪ I know the sound. ♪
♪ 我知道那声音 ♪
♪ Art thou not Romeo and Montague? ♪
♪ 你不是罗密欧与蒙太古吗? ♪
♪ Neither, fair saint, if either thee dislike. ♪
♪ 圣人, 如果你不喜欢, 我也不喜欢 ♪
♪ My dearest love, Duncan comes here tonight. ♪
♪ 我最亲爱的爱人 邓肯今晚会来这里 ♪
♪ And when goes hence? ♪
♪ 什么时候离开? ♪
♪ Tomorrow, as he purposes. ♪
♪ 明天, 他计划好的 ♪
♪ Oh, never shall some admirer see. ♪
♪ 哦, 再也不会有仰慕者看到了 ♪
♪ Now, mother, what’s the matter? ♪
♪ 现在 母后 怎么了? ♪
♪ Hamlet, you have offended your father. ♪
♪ 哈姆雷特 你冒犯了你的父王 ♪
♪ Mother, you have offended my father. ♪
♪ 母后, 你冒犯了我的父王 ♪
♪ You may indeed say so, for it was that hand that gave away my heart. ♪
♪ 你确实可以这么说, 因为正是那只手把我的心交给了他 ♪
♪ A liberal hand. ♪
♪ 自♥由♥之手 ♪
♪ The hearts of all gave hands. ♪
♪ 所有人都伸出了双手 ♪
♪ But I know heraldry is hands, not hearts. ♪
♪ 但我知道纹章是手, 不是心 ♪
♪ My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself because it is an enemy to thee. ♪
♪ 亲爱的圣人, 我恨死了我的名字, 因为那是你的敌人之名 ♪
♪ Had I written, I would tear the word. ♪
♪ 如果是我写, 我会撕掉这个词 ♪
♪ Ramia. ♪
♪ 拉米亚 ♪
♪ Let all those who love me, follow me! ♪
♪ 让所有爱我的人 跟随我! ♪
When I was alive at last, I could fully express myself, my whole body.
我终于活了过来, 我可以充分表达我自己, 全心全意的
I was what I wanted to be, and the barriers of
我想成为谁就成为谁, 现实的阻碍
reality were dismantled by makeup and verse.
被化妆和诗句所瓦解
You see, while the real world constantly rejected me,
你看, 当现实世界不断拒绝我的时候
the imaginary one opened its arms and welcomed me fully.
想象中的世界张开双臂, 欢迎我的到来
And in this new kingdom, Selma was my princess.
在这个新王国里, 塞尔玛是我的公主
You loved her?
你爱她?
Madly.
疯狂地
Did you tell her?
你告诉她了吗?
I was getting ready to, but one day she left.
我正准备这样做, 但有一天她离开了
The theater group in Boston suburbs had hired her.
波士顿郊区的剧团聘用了她
I was happy for her.
我为她感到高兴
Her talent deserved far better than a home for juvenile delinquents.
她的才华应该得到比少年犯之家更好的待遇
That’s for sure.
这是肯定的
Did you lose track of her?
你找不到她了吗?
I followed her every step.
我追踪着她的每一步
She struggled to begin with.
她的起步比较困难
But Selma had too much talent and love to not to succeed.
但是, 塞尔玛有那么多天赋和爱, 不可能不成功
Very soon, she started working with more professional outfits,
很快, 她开始穿上了更专业的戏服
and within a few years, she worked her way up to Broadway.
没过几年, 她就登上了百老汇舞台
And eventually, I was able to get the courage to go and see her.
最终, 我鼓起勇气去见了她
She was beautiful.
她很漂亮
And I asked one of the security guards
我问一名保安
if I could go backstage, and he let me come.
我是否可以去后台, 他就让我进去了
Come in.
请进
Sorry to bother you, Selma.
抱歉打扰你, 塞尔玛
There’s someone here. Says he’s your number one fan.
这里有个人 说他是你的头号♥粉丝
He knows you, and can he say hi?
他认识你, 能跟你打个招呼吗?
Sure.
当然
I was absolutely terrified that she wouldn’t remember me.
我非常害怕她不记得我了
But she did. Instantly.
但她记起来了 立刻
Oh, my gosh.
哦, 我的天哪
Douglas!
道格拉斯
Douglas!
道格拉斯
Oh, mon Dieu.
哦 上帝啊
Look how you’ve grown!
看看你都长多大了
Are you kidding?
你在开玩笑吗?
Look at this outfit!
看看这身打扮
Decked out like a prince!
打扮得像个王子
I wanted to throw these to you at the end, but I was scared for my position.
本想结束的时候把这花扔给你的, 但我担心我的位置
They wouldn’t hit the stage.
扔不到台上
They’re beautiful.
好漂亮
Come on, let’s go get them in a vase.
来吧, 我去插在花瓶里
This is amazing.
太神奇了
I was only thinking about you the other day, wondering what happened to you.
我前几天才想起你, 想知道你怎么样了
I’m warning you, I want the full story.
我警告你, 我要知道全部事情
Shoot.
说吧
Okay.
好的
Well, I kept reading.
好吧, 我继续读书
That could be what I do best.
这可能是我最擅长的
Then I passed a number of exams.
然后我通过了一些考试
I did a college course.
我上过大学课程
Ah, fantastico.
啊, 太棒了
You must have made friends there.
你一定在那里交到了朋友
No, it was an online course.
不, 这是一门在线课程
The campus was too far from the home I was in.
校园离我住的那一家太远了
I only went once a month for exams and stuff,
我每个月只去一次, 参加考试什么的
but it didn’t stop me from getting my B.S.C. in biology.
但这并不妨碍我获得生物学学士学位
A B.S.C.? That’s really good.
一个学士学位?真不错
What was your dissertation about?
你的论文是关于什么的?
Dogs.

I should have guessed. You were always talking about them back then.
我早该想到的 那时候你就总是谈论它们
Look, they’re beautiful.
看, 多漂亮
Not as beautiful as you.
没你漂亮
So sweet.
真贴心
And acting, you kept up with it?
表演呢 你还在坚持?
A bit.
有点