我好像有天在汉普斯特德看到济慈了
I thought I saw Keats the other day in Hampstead
正穿过马路去他住的房♥子。
crossing the road to his house where he lived.
好像是下午茶的时候
It was about teatime–
好了,费雪太太,我们该走了。
Well, Mrs. Fisher, time we were going.
我真的看到他了。他穿着…
I really did see him. He was dressed in–
我希望你没有看到死人的习惯,
I hope you’re not in the habit
不管他们有多尊贵。
of seeing dead people, however distinguished.
品味不高。
It’s not in the best of taste.
我肯定我最不想看到的就是
I’m sure the last thing I would want to see
我已故的丈夫,费希尔先生,
is my late husband, Mr. Fisher, crossing the road
在我家门前过马路。
in front of my house.
我觉得也是。
I’m sure.
费雪太太,一切似乎都安排妥当了……
Well, Mrs. Fisher, everything seems in order…
只要你们的证明材料令人满意。
Provided your references are satisfactory.
我们的证明材料?
Our references?
难道不应该是
Aren’t we the ones who ought to be
我们向你要证明材料吗,费舍太太?
asking for references from you, Mrs. Fisher?
这些证明材料应该是令人满意的。
These should be satisfactory.
皇家学院的总管,
The president of the royal academy,
坎特伯雷大主教,
Archbishop of Canterbury,
英格兰银行的行长。
the governor of the Bank of England.
我认识他们很多年了。
I’ve known them for years.
我不认为在正派人之间
I don’t think references are very nice things
还要求提供证明材料是什么好事。
amongst decent people.
我的意思是,我们又不是做生意,对吧?
I mean, we’re not businessmen, are we?
他们生意人之间才相互不信任。
They have to distrust each other.
威尔金斯太太说得对,费雪太太。
Mrs. Wilkins is right, Mrs. Fisher.
证明材料确实让我们的计划显得挺正式的,
References do bring a certain atmosphere into our plans
但这不是我们想要的,
which isn’t quite what we want,
所以我想我们不需要你的证明材料…
so I don’t think we’ll take up yours…
我们也不会提供给你…
or give you ours…
这样的话,我们就认为你不愿意加入我们了。
in which case I shall assume that you don’t wish to join us.
好吧,好吧。没证明材料算了。
Well, very well. No references.
我放弃证明材料了。
I waive all references.
请原谅我不送你们出去了。
Forgive me if I don’t see you out.
卡罗琳·戴斯特夫人。
Lady Caroline Dester.
她听起来很了不起。
Ooh, she sounds very grand.
很精明。
Very smart.
你想象得到她和我们一起在圣塞尔瓦托吗?
Do you see her with us at San Salvatore?
我是卡罗琳·戴斯特。
I’m Caroline Dester.
我是阿布斯♥诺♥特太太,这位是威尔金斯太太。
I’m Mrs. Arbuthnot, and this is Mrs. Wilkins.
你好。
How do you do?
随便坐。
Do sit down.
谢谢。
Thank you.
你知道在圣塞尔瓦托会很安静吧。
You realize it will be very quiet at San Salvatore.
什么都没有。也没人。
Nothing. No one.
只有海浪。
Just the waves.
听起来像天堂。
It sounds like heaven.
我要去我爱的意大利,
I’ll be in Italy, which I love,
而不是讨厌的酒店。
and not in a hotel, which a loathe.
最重要的是,我不会和朋友待在一起,
Best of all I won’t be staying with friends I’ll be
而是和陌生人待在一起。太棒了。
with strangers. Wonderful.
有什么棒的?
Why is that so wonderful?
好吧,我认识的人你一个都提不起来吧。
Well, you won’t be able to mention a single person I know.
我认识的人你都不认识吧,对吗?
You don’t know anyone I know, do you?
我觉得不是。
No, I don’t think so.
我也觉得不是。
Nor do I.
那就好,否则就太无聊了。
Good. It’s so boring otherwise.
谈论着同样的故人旧事,
It’s no holiday to talk about
这算什么度假。
the same old thing, same old people.
我只想坐着,啥也不说,啥也不想,
I want to just sit and not talk and not think
不想时时刻刻成为所有事情的焦点。
and not be the center of everything all the time.
你知道那是什么感觉。
You know what that’s like.
不,我不知道。
No, I don’t.
我也不知道。
Neither do I.
好吧,那很累人的。
Well, it’s very wearing.
所有人都在提要求…
Everybody makes demands…
尤其是男人。
especially men.
是吧。
Yes.
噢,卡洛琳。
Oh, Caroline.
你好,吉米。
Hello, Jimmy.
卡洛琳,亲爱的。
Caroline, darling.
神奇的聚会。
Marvelous party.
我不确定你是否喜欢
I’m not sure if you really deserve it.
在这我留了一个私信给你。
And this one I’ve inscribed with a personal message for you.
哦,非常感谢。现在,我想请你…
Oh, thank you so much. Now, I would like you to–
对不起,我得去和你女儿说句话。
Excuse me, I must go and have a word with your daughter.
好吧,可是我…
Yes, but I was–
不,不,不。
No, no, no, no.
你好,我很高兴你能来。
Hello, I’m so glad you could make it.
我正期待着…
I was looking forward–
杰拉德
Gerald.
– 恭喜你出的新书。 – 谢谢你,卡罗琳。
– Congratulations on the book. – Thank you, Caroline.
你母亲为这事真是太尽心了。
Your mother has been most generous in setting this up.
– 你看起来很可爱。 – 是的。谢谢你,杰拉尔德。
– You look lovely. – I know. Thank you, Gerald.
你不能独占卡罗琳。这不公平。
You mustn’t monopolize Caroline. It isn’t fair.
尽管你是贵宾,阿伦德尔先生。
Even though you are the guest of honor, Mr. Arundel.
– 我听说你要离开一段时间。 – 听谁说的?
– You’re going away, I hear. – Who’s been talking?
– 作家有的是办法。- 是妈妈说的吗?
– Authors have ways. – Was it mother?
我守口如瓶。
My lips are sealed.
我是要离开。
I need to get away.
你去哪儿?
Where are you going?
如果我告诉你,我就逃不掉了,对吧?
If I told you, I wouldn’t be getting away, would I?
这是个秘密,对吧?
It’s a secret, is it?
请你别到处打探,杰拉德
And please don’t try and find out, Gerald.
不会的。
No, no.
你为什么不回家?
Why don’t you go home?
我只是想一个人静一静。
I just must have some time alone.
不!住手!
No! Stop!
都是你的错!
It’s all your fault!
弗雷德里克?
Frederick?
晚安,亲爱的。
Good night, my dear.
味道好极了,亲爱的。
Splendid, my dear.
杏仁蛋挞非常棒。
The apricot tart was especially fine.
梅勒什,我有事想跟你说。
Mellersh, there’s something I want to talk to you about.
我也有件事想和你谈谈,亲爱的。
There’s something I want to talk to you, too, about, my dear.
我想带你去意大利过复活节。
I’m thinking of taking you to Italy for Easter.
什么?
What?
我想带你去意大利过复活节。
I’m thinking of taking you to Italy for Easter.
我们都需要换换心情。
We could both do with the change.
能一起就更好了。
It would be nice to go together.
在一个语言不通的国家,
A second person is always useful in a country
第二个人总是有用的…
whose language one doesn’t speak…
他可以在与当地人交流时
to look after the luggage
负责照看一下行李。
while one communicates with the natives.
你好像很吃惊啊,亲爱的。
You seem stunned, my dear.
是的。
I am.
好吧,但你好像兴致不高啊。
Yes, well, you don’t seem very enthusiastic about it.
真是太巧了,
It really is the most extraordinary coincidence,
梅勒什,真是很巧,你看…
Mellersh. Really extraordinary. You see…
我的一个朋友邀请了我
I’ve been invited by a friend
四月份和她一起去意大利。
to spend April with her in Italy.
她在那里有一栋房♥子。
She has a house there.
什么?
What?
好吧,其实是一座城♥堡♥…
Well, a kind of castle, really…
所以我答应了。
so I said yes.
这太过分了,洛蒂。
This is outrageous, Lotty.
你接受朋友的邀请
You accept an invitation from a friend
– 居然没跟我商量? – 我现在不就在和你商量吗。
– without consulting me? – I’m consulting you now.
那好,你可以写信告诉她你不能去。
Well, you can write to her and just tell her you can’t go.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!