John Milton and Jane Austen.
伊妮德·佩蒂格鲁
奎里纳斯·奇洛
吉德罗·洛克哈特
莱姆斯·卢平
伊妮德·佩蒂格鲁
奥克登·赫恩肖
这是首次有一位在世的作家
It’s the first time a living writer
成为一项大展的主角
has been the focus of a major show here.
这是一份殊荣 也感觉有点不太真实
It’s a huge honour and at the same time it feels quite surreal.
对我来说 这只是些工作中的材料
You know, to me, they’re just my working materials, so…
当你看到这些东西陈列在玻璃罩里的时候
And then you see them in a glass case and you think,
你会想这是怎么回事
how on earth did that happen?
这确实是一种奇特的感觉
It’s a very peculiar sensation, yeah.
这是我的某篇手稿
So this is one of mine.
所以我对它显得并不是很恭敬
So I don’t feel quite so reverent about this one.
斯普劳特教授是一位草药学家
Professor Sprout is the herbologist.
一个非常有爱的角色
Very lovable character.
我觉得她是霍格沃兹四个学院里面最具有
I would say she’s the most maternal, actually, or parental,
母性光辉或者准确地说是最有父母心的角色
of the four Heads of House at Hogwarts.
我是在1990年12月30号♥画的这幅画
So I drew this picture on December 30th, 1990.
我对这个日期记得很清楚
And I can be very precise about when I drew this picture
那天我在朋友家里
because I was staying at a friend’s house,
开始写哈利波特已经六个月了
I’d been writing Potter for six months
当时所有人都上♥床♥了 我还在熬夜
and I stayed up when everyone else had gone to bed
因为我在看电影《国王迷》
because I was watching the movie The Man Who Would Be King.
对于画这幅画的时间
And the reason I can be incredibly precise
我之所以能记得很清楚
about when I drew this is because…
是因为在我
at some point…
一边看电影
during the time I was watching that movie
一边画这幅画的时候
and drawing this picture,
我母亲在二百五十英里外的地方去世了
my mother died 250 miles away
我在第二天接到电♥话♥
and I got the phone call the next day
才得知她已经去世了
to say that she had died.
所以这幅画对我来说意味重大
So this obviously means a great deal to me, this picture.
但是有些不同寻常的东西 直到二十年后
But there was something quite extraordinary that I only realised
我才意识到 因此在现在举办展览的情况下
about 20 years later, so it seems very appropriate to say it now
我感觉是个好时机说出来
in the context of this exhibition.
《国王迷》是一部 给不知道的人们提个醒
The Man Who Would Be King, for those who don’t know,
由肖恩·康纳利和迈克尔·凯恩出演的电影
is a story with Sean Connery and Michael Caine in it
它改编自鲁德亚德·吉卜林的故事
and it’s from an old Rudyard Kipling story.
共济会的符号♥在这部电影中非常重要
And the Masonic symbol is very important in that movie.
在整整二十年之后
And it was literally 20 years later
当我端详死亡圣器的符号♥时
that I looked at the sign of the Deathly Hallows
我发现它们真是非常相似
and realised how similar they were.
死亡圣器包括老魔杖
The Deathly Hallows is comprised of the Elder Wand,
隐形衣和复活石
the Cloak of Invisibility and the Resurrection Stone.
掌握这三样东西的人将成为死亡的主宰
And whoever possesses all three is said to be Master of Death.
重温那部电影时 我又看到了共济会标志
When I saw the movie again and saw the Masonic symbol,
我感觉全身一抖 我想到
I sort of went cold all over and I thought…
这会不会就是死亡圣器标志的原型
Is that why the Hallows symbol is what it is?
我有种感觉 在很深的潜意识层面上
And I’ve got a feeling that, on some deep subconscious level,
它们是联♥系♥在一起的
they are connected.
所以我似乎
So I feel as though
像是回到了20年前的那晚
I sort of worked my way back over 20 years to that night
因为波特系列很大程度上是关于失去的
because the Potter series is hugely about loss…
我以前说过 如果我母亲还活着
And I’ve said this before, if my mother hadn’t died,
我想故事会完全不一样
I think the stories would be utterly different
不是现在这样
and not what they are.
所以 对
So, yeah.
这张图在很多层面上
So, this picture is very meaningful to me
都对我有很大的意义
on a lot of different levels.
哈利现在离镜子很近很近了
“Harry was so close to the mirror now”
《哈利·波特与魔法石》 1997
鼻子几乎碰到了镜子中自己的鼻子
“That his nose was nearly touching that of his reflection.”
‘妈妈’ 他低声唤道
“‘Mum?’ he whispered.”
‘爸爸’
“‘dad?!'”
他们都看着他
“They just looked at him…”
微笑着
“smiling…”
哈利慢慢地挨个儿打量
“And slowly Harry looked into the faces”
镜子里其他人的脸
“of the other people in the mirror”
发现他们都有着和他一模一样的绿眼睛
“and saw other pairs of green eyes like his,”
一模一样的鼻子
“other noses like his,”
一个小老头儿甚至还有着
“even a little old man”
和哈利一模一样的凹凸不平的膝盖
“who looked as though he had Harry’s knobbly knees.”
哈利正在望着他的家人
“Harry was looking at his family”
这是他有生以来的第一次
“for the first time in his life.”
一有疑问 就去图书馆
经常有人告诉我
I meet people quite regularly who tell me…
波特对他们的意义
what Potter meant to them
我只能说
and I can only say that
他们并不知道波特对我意味着什么
even they have no idea what it meant to me.
我在人生最动荡不安的一段时间
So I wrote Potter during what I hope will turn out to have been
写下了波特的故事
the most turbulent period of my life
我将远超人们了解的
and I put a huge amount, more than people will ever know,
大量个人生活和经历写进书中
of my own life and experiences into those books
对我来说更难得的不是很多人喜欢它
and it’s not that lots of people liked it,
而是就算只有几个人 这本书很有意义
it’s the fact that it meant that much to a few people even
这对作者来说就足够了 是很棒的感觉
is more than enough for a writer. It’s an amazing feeling.
大英图书馆
赫敏却突然伸手拍着前额
“Hermione, however, clapped her hand to her forehead.”
《哈利·波特与密室》 1998
‘哈利 我想我知道了’
“‘Harry, I think I’ve just understood something.'”
‘我要去一趟图书馆’
“‘I’ve got to go to the library.'”
她匆匆跑开 往楼上去了
“And she sprinted away up the stairs.”
‘她知道了什么’ 哈利心慌意乱地说
“‘What does she understand?’ Said Harry, distractedly,”
仍然四下环顾
“still looking around”
想弄清楚声音是从什么地方发出来的
“trying to tell where the voice had come from.”
‘我不知道’ 罗恩摇着头
“‘Loads more than I do,’ said Ron, shaking his head.”
‘但她为什么要去图书馆’
“‘But why’s she got to go to the library?'”
‘因为赫敏一向如此’
“‘Because that’s what Hermione does,'”
罗恩说着 耸了耸肩
“said Ron, shrugging.”
‘一有疑问 就去图书馆’
“‘When in doubt, go to the library.'”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!