拍摄「发条橙」是一次绝妙的经历
MAN: It was an extraordinary experience doing Clockwork Orange.
这是一部拍摄起来非常漫长又费力的电影
A very long and arduous film to shoot.
拍了七个月
It was seven months shooting.
期间我受了好几次伤
And I was injured a couple of times on the film,
我的肋骨被压扁了
I had my ribs dented.
为此我休养了两个礼拜
I was off for two weeks with that.
我想我还得了扁桃体炎之类的
I think I had tonsillitis or something I…
灾难接踵而至 我开始担忧自己的健康
One disaster after another as far as as I, my health was concerned.
我的眼角膜上也有几处划伤
I got a couple of scratched corneas on my eyes.
但说了这么多 当然了
But having said all that, of course,
我想我还是会说这是值得的
I suppose one can say it was worth it.
而且如果斯坦利信任你
And if Stanley trusts you,
如果他信任你 你就没事
if he trusts you, you’re alright.
否则的话 就要小心了
If he doesn’t, beware.
非常好 现在仔细听我说
Very well, now listen to me carefully.
基地正处于红色警报状态
The base is being put on condition red.
我希望立即通知到所有部门
I want this flashed to all sections immediately.
我经历了一次最糟糕的拍片体验
I had the worst time I’ve ever had on a picture.
不过 这和斯坦利无关
And, nothing to do with Stanley.
我想这都是我自己的问题
And everything to do I guess with my own hang-ups.
我第一天在谢伯顿制片厂开工
I worked the first day at Shepperton.
我又有很多的专业术语台词
And I had a great deal of technical jargon, you know.
然后在我开拍后 我就开始搞砸了
And so I started to work and I began to blow.
你知道外面这些小丑
You know those clowns outside
将在几分钟后狠狠折磨我
are gonna give me a pretty good going over in a few minutes.
然后 他拍了大概有38条
OK, so he went something like 38 takes.
我不知道自己在严刑拷打下能坚持多久
I don’t know how well I could stand up under torture.
我演得一次比一次差
And I was getting worse and worse.
最后 他开始拍短段落
So finally, he began to do pick-ups.
一次拍一句
A sentence at a time.
这很痛苦 这太丢脸了
And I mean this is painful. This is embarrassing.
你知道 我来到这是想把事情做好
You know, I’m here and I want to do well.
我明白必须为自己的所作所为作出解释
I know I’ll have to answer for what I’ve done.
最后我走过去对他说
And finally I walked up and said,
“抱歉 斯坦利 但我也没有办法了”
“Stanley I’m sorry but there is nothing I can do.”
他说 “我知道”
He said, “I know that.”
他说 “你知道 我也没什么办法了” 我说 “我知道”
He said, “You know, there is nothing I can do.” I said, “I know that.”
他说 “不过我告诉你一件事”
He said, “But I’ll tell you one thing,”
他说 “那种恐惧 你眼中的恐惧”
He said, “The terror, the terror that’s in your eyes
“也许正好给了我们需要的质感”
“may just give us the quality that we want.”
他是个完美主义者 不过是更有迹可循的那种
He is a perfectionist. But, I mean, on a more provable level.
我是说 在拍电影的情况下是不同的
I mean, you know, it’s different in a movie situation
如果你问摄影师 刚才那条怎么样
if you say, “How was it?” to the operator.
斯坦利看得到监视器 所以他知道
Stanley has the teleprompter now, so he knows.
他有充足的理由来解释这一条为什么过不了
And the amount of reason that he has why a take is not acceptable,
典型的完美主义者
quintessentially perfectionist.
我们讨论过他那难以琢磨的完美情结
We had discussions about the elusive quality of perfection
因为在拍到第75条的时候 很多其他问题会开始出现
because down by take 75, a host of other things start going wrong,
胶片拍完了 有些东西还粘在了墙上
the tape finally gives out that held something on to the wall.
一切变得混乱无序 我们也变老了
Entropy takes over, we’re all growing older, you know.
探索是艰巨的 他从未放弃
The search is extraordinary, he never gives up.
那是在一个有一大队人的场景中
It was during a scene of a great many army people,
爱尔兰军队之类的
or Irish army, whatever it was,
我们使用了大量完全正宗的乐器
but we utilised a lot of material that was absolutely authentic.
笛子和鼓都是博物馆中的真实乐器
Authentic flutes from museums, authentic drums
等等之类的
and so on and so forth.
这是很容易的一件事
And it was very easy.
毕竟我录制过一些很先锋
I have, after all, recorded some very avant-garde music
也很有难度的音乐
that’s very difficult
所以这只是小菜一碟
and this was a cinch.
这段我们录了105遍 只有第二遍是完美的
We did 105 takes on this thing and take two was perfect.
交响乐团的人看着我 我看着他们
And the orchestra looked at me and I looked at them,
仿佛我们在和一个疯子打交道
as though, we’re dealing with an insane person.
录到第105次后 我终于扔下指挥棒
And 105 takes, and finally I threw down the baton,
冲向他面前 抓住他的脖子
ran into the thing, and grabbed him by the neck.
我想把他从窗户扔出去
I wanted to throw him through the window
结果大家都笑了 还有点不安
when everyone starting laughing, kind of nervously.
然后他说 “你疯了”
And he said, “You’re crazy.”
我说 “是你把所有人逼疯的 问题在这里”
And I said, “Well, you’ve driven everybody crazy, that’s the problem.”
导演一部电影 如果想把它做好 并不总是有趣的
Directing a movie, if you try to do it properly, is not always fun
因为你处在和他人的持续冲突中
because you are in conflict with people.
如果你想把它做对 如果你很在乎它
If you try to get it right and you care about it,
这就绝对不是什么好玩的事情
it isn’t something which is the greatest fun in the world.
它有时让人感到极大的满足
It’s immensely satisfying, sometimes,
但也很辛苦
but it is a lot of hard work
而且每个人都会有许多焦虑
and there is a lot of personal tension that occurs with everybody.
拿军事领域的拿破仑来打比方会比较恰当
The analogy would better in a sort of military sense in that Napoleon,
如果他不把注意力放在
if he didn’t pay as much attention
行军队列的精确细节
to the precise details of his marching,
他又如何能够带领部队在正确的时间到达正确的城市
how he brought his troops to the right town on the right day.
他进行了所有的计算
He worked out all the calculations
所有来自不同地方的数据
where they would come from different places,
并自己做了所有数学计算 在正确的时间带领部队到达地点
and did all the mathematics himself, and got them there at the right time.
他永远没有机会成为一个战场上的天才了
He would never have an opportunity to be a genius on the battlefield.
拍电影和打仗很像
Battles were like the equivalent of making a film.
他作为导演成功的关键就在于
The key to his success as a filmmaker
他是所有人都想并肩作战的铁面将军
is that he was the ruthless general everyone wanted to march with.
他能让所有人站在他那边 而且不管发生什么
He got everyone on his side and no matter what happened
他都期望他的演员和剧组能跟上他的标准
he expected his cast and crew to keep up with his standard.
某种程度上 他似乎向我们所有人证明了什么
In a way, he kind of represented something to all of us
因为他远在自己英国的家中
because he was over there on his estate in England,
他远离好莱坞 他有自己的摄影机
he was far away from Hollywood, he owns his own cameras,
自己的剪辑设备 自己的录音棚
his own editing equipment, his own sound
而且他完全按照自己的日程工作
and he worked entirely accord to his own schedule.
这还是挺鼓舞人心的
It’s kind of inspiring at a time
当其他人被商业和广♥告♥宣传裹挟的时候
when everybody else seems to be marching to the drums of commerce and promotion.
你知道这是什么相机吗 它叫什么名字呀
Do you know what kind of camera that is, what it’s called?
这是一个家庭电影 – 阿莱弗莱克斯
It’s a home movie. – Arriflex.
拿破仑仍在他的墓中 等待着
Napoleon is still in his grave, waiting,
等待着起死回生
waiting to be brought back to life.
我好奇拿破仑会怎么看卢·瓦瑟曼和大卫·皮克
I wonder what Napoleon would think of Lew Wasserman and David Picker,
不知道他是否乐意让他们评判自己的生活
whether he would’ve liked to have them passing judgement on his life.
传言是真的吗
他住处的围墙有两米高?
– 不 别太夸张 – 那是怎样的
他是个住在乡间的人
和他的妻子 他的狗和猫生活在一起
还有三个女儿
他平时会工作 下棋 阅读
让人惊奇的是
他就在离家九英里外的地方拍电影
几乎每部都这样
他在伦敦郊区重造了一个闪灵旅馆
他没去科罗拉多拍
一切都是在摄影棚里拍的
更惊人的是 他就在自己家里剪片子
他不用去工作室里剪辑
他只需要从剪辑房♥里出来 就能直接去睡觉
他通过录像带选角
他在自己家里操纵着一切
在「全金属外壳」中
所有越南的场景
都是在伦敦附近一家废弃的工厂里拍摄的 这是真的吗
当然 不过库布里克对此作出过解释 我问过他
你是在一间废弃工厂拍摄的吗
You worked in a disaffected plant?
我首先注意到的
Well, first thing I noticed
这个建筑的外♥围♥区域 也就是战争发生的地方
was that the architecture in the peripheral areas
外♥围♥地区的建筑
where the fighting seemed to be,
有这种三十年代的工业功能主义风格
was this sort of 1930s industrial functionalism,
我们完完全全是偶然发现了
and by the sheerest accident we found this area
这一♥平♥方英里的区域
that is about a square mile,
它是由一位德国建筑师在三十年代设计的
and it was designed by a German architect in the ’30s,
它看起来就和我们看到过的
and it looked exactly like photographs we’d seen
那些会安和西贡 边境和市郊的照片一模一样
in Hue and Saigon, the border… the outskirts of the city.
这完全就是一个奇迹
And it just seemed like a miracle,
因为我不知道还有哪里
because, I don’t know where,
回想起来 我不知道我们该如何拍摄那些场景
looking back I don’t know how we would have done those scenes
要不是因为这个地方给我们提供了
with a tiny fraction of the reality
一些真实感和有利的条件
and interest that we got from this location.
即使在会安 我们也无法拍出
In Hue we could never have achieved this vision of hell
当时如地狱一般的会安
that actually Hue looked like.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!