令人吃惊的是 他从没读过亚里士多德
It’s shocking that he’s never read Aristotle.
我不只是有邮筒的视觉印象
I don’t merely have the visual impression of a pillar box.
我知道这是一个邮筒 – 我知道这是一只手
I know this is a pillar box. – I know this is a hand.
但手是什么呢
And what is a hand?
为什么呢 比方说
Why? This, for example…
这是确定的确定性
It’s a certain certainty.
我很了解确定性 – 我知道这个制片厂在滑铁卢
I’m familiar with certainty. – I know this film studio is in Waterloo.
但我怎么知道你是路德维希·维特根斯坦呢
But how do I know that you are Ludwig Wittgenstein?
路德维希 路德维希!
Ludwig, Ludwig!
我刚听妈妈说你要去参军
I’ve just heard from Mother that you’re going to join up.
听着 我明白你想在这场可怕的战争中尽自己的绵薄之力
Now, look, I understand wanting to do your bit in this terrible war,
但为什么要死在战壕里呢
but why do you want to die in the trenches?
为什么不在维也纳找个文职工作
Why not get a clerical job in Vienna?
因为我想去前线
Because I want to go to the front.
路德维希 为什么将自己置于这样的险境
Why put yourself at risk like this, Ludwig?
看在上帝的份上 你已经被免除兵役了
You’ve been exempted, for Christ’s sake.
直面死亡
Standing eye to eye with death
使我有机会成为一个正派的人
will give me the chance to be a decent human being.
我要做点什么
I’ll be doing something.
我也要去
I’m going as well.
我们必须履行自己的职责
We’ve got to do our duty.
当两种不相容的原则相遇的时候
Where two principles meet which cannot be reconciled with one another,
他们都会称呼对方是愚者或异端
then each calls the other a fool or a heretic.
因为我是志愿兵 大家都讨厌我
I’m hated because I’m a volunteer!
周遭都是仇视的目光
I’m surrounded by people who hate me.
死亡的逼近 带给我新生的光芒
The nearness of death will bring me the light of life.
上帝 启发我
God, enlighten me.
上帝 启发我!
God, enlighten me!
我是个懦夫
I am a worm.
祈求上帝让我成为一个男子汉
Pray God that I become a man.
上帝与我同在
God be with me.
上帝与我同在!
God be with me!
阿门
Amen!
我知道这个世界存在
I know this world exists.
但不明白它存在的意义
But its meaning is problematic.
我是好人还是坏人
Am I good or am I evil?
当我的良知打破我的心理平衡
When my conscience upsets my equilibrium,
那么我就会对某些事持不同看法
then I am not in agreement with something.
那是什么呢
What is it?
是这个世界
Is it the world?
还是上帝
Or is it God?
维特根斯坦被俘虏了 – 喔 真有趣
Wittgenstein has been taken prisoner. – Oh, how fascinating!
“我成了战俘 被关在意大利人控制的蒙特卡西诺”
“I am a prisoner of war in Monte Cassino under the Italians.
“希望战后我们还能再见面”
“Hope we shall see each other after the war.
“多次中弹改变了我思考哲学的方式”
“Being shot at many times has altered the way I think about philosophy.
“还有《托尔斯泰福音书》的影响”
“So has Tolstoy’s Gospel In Brief.
“我写了本书 叫做《逻辑哲学论》”
“I have written a book called Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.
“将逻辑符号♥和宗教神秘主义相结合”
“It combines logical symbolism with religious mysticism.
“不♥穿♥鞋更好 根本没有鞋子”
“It’s better with no shoes, no shoes at all.
“爱你的 路德维希”
“Love, Ludwig.”
我得再给他送点儿可可片 听起来他相当沮丧
I must send him some more cocoa tablets. Sounds like he’s rather depressed.
他知道你入狱了吗 伯蒂
Does he know you’ve been in prison, Bertie?
还不知道吧
I doubt it.
路德维希总是彬彬有礼
Such nice manners always, Ludwig.
家世也很好
Good stock.
什么是逻辑符号♥主义
What is logical symbolism?
很难解释
Oh, it’s too difficult to explain.
这就是你的问题 伯蒂 你永远无法回答一个直截了当的问题
That’s the trouble with you, Bertie. You can never answer a straight question.
1919年8月21日 我从战俘营获释
I was released from prison camp on 21st August, 1919.
我想出版《逻辑哲学论》 所以回到维也纳
I wanted to get my Tractatus published, so I went back to Vienna.
路德维希!
Ludwig!
路德维希 你说想去乡村学校教书 这是什么意思
Ludwig, what do you mean you want to teach in a rural school?
这就像用精密工具打开板条箱
It would be like a precision instrument opening crates.
你在战争中得到了勋章
Look, you were decorated in the war.
伯特兰·罗素称你是哲学的希望之星
Bertrand Russell says you’re the great philosophical hope.
你怎么能去外地教书呢
You can’t go and teach in the provinces.
赫尔米娜 你让我想起一个透过紧闭的窗户向外张望的人
Hermine, you remind me of someone looking out through a closed window
无法解释外面那些人的奇怪行为
who cannot explain the strange movements of someone outside.
你不明白什么样的风暴正在肆虐
You can’t tell what sort of storm is raging,
也不知道这个人可能只是艰难地站立着
or that this person might only be managing to stay on his feet with difficulty.
好吧 我仍然觉得你是在浪费自己的才华
Well, I still think it’s a waste of your talents.
如果不是那么愚蠢 把钱都给了我们的话
If you hadn’t been so daft and given all your money to us,
你本可以自己出版自己的书
you could publish your book yourself,
不必对出版商卑躬屈膝
without having to bow and scrape to publishers.
如果出版商不想出版
I don’t want to force my philosophy on the world,
我也不想把自己的哲学强加于人
if a publisher won’t publish it.
你难道不明白吗
Can’t you understand that?
好吧 我宁愿有一个开心的弟弟 而不是不开心的圣人
Well, I would rather have a happy person for a brother than an unhappy saint.
我要去教书
I am going to teach.
♪ 三只盲鼠 ♪
“对于一个句子的真值主目来说”
“Those truth possibilities of its truth-argument
“我称那些使句子为真的真值可能性为句子的真值基础”
“which verify… and prositions… I shall call its truth grounds…”
没错 句子 那么这部分是什么
Yes, good. Proposition. So what is this here?
你管这部分叫什么
What do you call this here?
逻辑
Logic.
这部分是什么
What’s this here?
你管这部分叫什么
What do you call this here?
教导你们 是一次 完全 无意义的经历
Teaching you is… a thoroughly… unrewarding experience.
你明白我在说什么嘛
Do you understand what I’m saying?
你明白我在说什么嘛
Do you understand what I’m saying?
完全是浪费时间
It’s a waste of time.
浪费我的时间 你的时间 大家的时间
It is a waste of my time, your time, everybody’s time.
你明白我在说什么嘛
Do you understand… Do you understand what I’m saying?
我的老天爷!亲爱的上帝啊!
Oh, my God! Oh, my dear, dear God!
事实证明 我是个冒牌教师
Teaching proved to be a sham.
我不得不逃走
I had to “do a runner”
并谎称自己对孩子们很粗野
and lie about my brutality towards the children.
他们就是不擅长逻辑或数学
They just weren’t any good at logic or maths,
我被逼疯了
and they drove me crazy.
我自欺欺人地认为我的背景和阶级并不重要
I kidded myself that my background and class weren’t important but…
但在这些外地学校 我像一根酸痛的拇指一样显眼
I stood out like a sore thumb at these provincial schools.
家长们不喜欢我 认为我是个怪人
The parents hated me and called me strange.
多年来我一直感到愧疚
I felt guilty for years.
不知为何 我失败了
Somehow I had failed.
在道德上
Morally.
这是一个红色邮筒 – 你怎么知道的
This is a red pillar box. – How do you know that?
我做了功课 格林是绿色的意思
I have done my homework. Green is green.
孩子通过相信成年人来学习 相信之后就有了疑问
Children learn by believing adults. Doubt comes after belief.
我知道自己相信什么
I know what I believe.
我的家乡没有大人 所以也没有疑问
Where I come from there are no adults, and so no doubts.
如果我把这封信寄往纽约
If I post this letter to New York,
是否会增强我对地球存在这件事的信念
does that strengthen my conviction that the Earth exists?
地球确实存在
The Earth does exist.
火星人也是如此
And so do Martians.
你在书的结尾处这样写道
Well, you end the book with the line,
“对于不可言说之物 必须保持沉默”
“Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent.”
你为什么不这么做呢
Why didn’t you?
我一个字都看不懂 路德维希 这是本天书
I don’t understand a word, Ludwig. It’s gobbledygook.
能赚多少钱
How much were you paid for this?
没有任何版权收入或稿费
I was paid nothing for the rights, and will receive no royalties.
果然 你马上连一双袜子都买♥♥不起了
Typical. You won’t be able to buy a pair of socks soon.
但我毕竟出了一本书
But I have published a book.
我听说 这本书能出版
I heard that the book was only published
只是因为伯特兰·罗素写了序言
because Bertrand Russell wrote an introduction.
罗素写了序言
I have Russell’s introduction.
但他也什么都不懂
He can’t understand a word either.
谁懂?
Who can?
赫尔米娜 我们必须完善自己
Hermine, we must improve ourselves.
这是我们让世界变得更好的唯一方式
That’s all we can do to better the world.
格蕾特的新房♥子真的是你设计的吗
Is it true you’re designing Gretyl a brand-new house?
是的 都是我设计的