不间歇性地
If people did not sometimes…
干点傻事的人
…do silly things,
通常
nothing…
也干不出什么
…intelligent would…
真正有意义的
…ever get…
事情
…done.
不间歇性地干点傻事的人
If people did not sometimes do silly things,
通常也干不出什么真正有意义的事情
nothing intelligent would ever get done.
大家好
Hello.
我叫路德维希·维特根斯坦
My name is Ludwig Wittgenstein.
是个神童
I’m a prodigy.
我打算向你们讲述我的故事
I’m going to tell you my story.
1889年 我出生于维也纳一个富人家里
I was born in 1889 to a filthy-rich family in Vienna.
先介绍一下我的家人
I would like to introduce them to you.
这是我的母亲 利奥波尔蒂勒
This is my mother, Leopoldine.
她痴迷音乐
She was crazy about music.
事实上 她整天沉醉于勃拉姆斯和马♥勒♥
In fact, she was so busy entertaining Brahms and Mahler
只留下26个家庭教师和7架三角钢琴陪我们
that we were left with the 26 tutors and seven grand pianos.
大姐赫尔米娜是个业余画家
Hermine, my oldest sister, was an amateur painter.
格蕾特嫁给一个美国人 并接受了弗洛伊德的心理分♥析♥
Gretyl married an American and was psychoanalyzed by Freud.
至于海伦娜 还是不说她了
Of Helene, we will remain silent.
我的三个兄弟很早就去世了
Three of my brothers died young.
汉斯为了躲避父亲 去了美国
Hans ran away to America to escape dad,
他乘坐的船消失在切萨皮克湾
and disappeared off a boat in Chesapeake Bay.
库尔特的部队在一战时哗变
Kurt’s troops rebelled in the First World War
羞愧使他决定自杀
and the shame drove him to suicide.
同性恋鲁道夫大部分时间住在柏林
Rudolf, who was bent, spent most of his time in Berlin.
不演戏的时候
When he wasn’t being theatrical,
他会去科学人道主义委员会闲逛
he hung out at the Scientific Humanitarian Committee.
他在自己常去的酒吧喝下氰化物自杀
He topped himself drinking a glass of cyanide in his favorite bar.
只有保罗还活着
That leaves Paul.
他是职业钢琴家 在战争中失去一条胳膊
He was a concert pianist, but lost an arm in the war.
拉威尔专门为他写了一首《D大调左手钢琴协奏曲》
Ravel composed the concerto for the “left hand” especially for him.
至于父亲 他总是坐在办公室里忙着投资美国国债
And as for Dad, he was always in the office investing in American bonds.
所以 在通胀时期 他仍然富有
That’s how we escaped inflation and stayed rich,
非常富有 像洛克菲勒一样
mega-rich, like the Rockefeller’s.
维特根斯坦
卡尔·约翰逊
迈克尔·高夫
对艺术的最好的赞赏就是什么都不说
In art, it is hard to say anything as good as saying nothing.
蒂尔达·斯文顿
约翰·昆汀
凯文·科林斯
克兰西·沙赛
即使是大胆而清晰地表达错误的想法
Even to have expressed false thought boldly
也会有很多收获
and clearly is to have gained a great deal.
导演 德里克·贾曼
充裕
…of time.
在一天之内就可以体验地狱的恐怖
The horrors of hell can be experienced in a single day.
时间很充裕
That’s plenty of time.
我一辈子都在摆脱自己所受的教育
l was to spend a lifetime disentangling myself from my education.
母亲常说“这可是维也纳最好的”
“Quite the best to be had in Vienna,” Mum said.
我和阿道夫·希♥特♥勒♥有同一位历史老师
I shared a history teacher with Adolf Hitler
真是搞笑
What a scream.
如果有人稍微领先于时代 他早晚也会被赶上的
If someone is merely ahead of time, it will catch him up one day.
我在英格兰 看看周围就知道了
I’m in England. Everything around me tells me so.
告诉我 你如何寻找
Tell me how you’re searching,
我就能告诉你 你在寻找什么
and I’ll tell you what you’re searching for.
这是什么东西 – 你好 凡人
Who’s that’? – Hail, earthling.
凡人?我是哲学家 路德维希·维特根斯坦
Earthling? I’m a philosopher, Ludwig Wittgenstein.
你是哪位?- 你可以叫我格林先生
Who are you? – You could call me Mr. Green.
可以问个问题吗?
May I ask you a question?
哲学家有几根脚趾?
How many toes do philosophers have?
10根 – 有趣
Ten. – Fascinating.
和普通人一样
That’s how many humans have.
格林先生 哲学家也是人 知道自己有几根脚趾
Mr. Green, philosophers are humans and know how many toes they have.
哎呀
Oh, dear!
意思是火星人不能当哲学家了?
Does that mean Martians can’t be philosophers?
老天啊
Oh, God
我从家里逃走 去曼彻斯特大学读书
l escaped the family by going to Manchester University.
曼彻斯特是英格兰北部的一座工业城市
Manchester, an industrial town in the English north.
我记得父亲说过“富者不洁 洁者不富”
l remember my father saying, “Where there’s muck, there’s brass.”
我的目标原本是成为航♥天♥领域的先驱
Well, my aim was to be a pioneer in aeronautics.
但是我的青少年实验以失败告终 于是就放弃了
But, my experiments ended in a teenage failure and I gave up.
我不再尝试设计发动机
I abandoned my unsuccessful attempt to design an engine,
并且 效仿那位英国英雄 狄克·惠廷顿
and, like the English hero, Dick Whittington,
一路向南 在剑桥大学拜伯特兰·罗素为师 学习哲学
went south to Cambridge to study philosophy with Bertrand Russell.
为什么你就不能承认
Why won’t you just admit,
这间屋子里没有犀牛
there’s no rhinoceros in this room?
罗素教授 那是因为 世界是事实的总和 而不是事物的总和
Because, Professor Russell, the world is made up of facts, not things.
你自己看看
Look for yourself.
我告诉你一个事实 这间屋子里没有犀牛
I tell you for a fact, there is no rhinoceros in this room!
这个问题是形而上的 不是经验主义的
The issue is metaphysical, not empirical.
我本以为你会取得哲学上的下一个重大突破
I thought the next big step in philosophy would be yours.
现在我不是那么肯定了
Now I am not so sure.
罗素教授
Professor Russell.
罗素教授
Professor Russell.

Shh!
亲爱的奥托琳
Dear Ottoline,
维特根斯坦正埋头于共相和殊相的问题
Herr Schwinckel-Winkel, hard at it on universals and particulars.
他拥有最纯粹的求知热情
He has the pure intellectual passion in the highest degree,
这令我喜欢他
and it makes me love him.
他每天清晨都在希望中开始探索
He says every morning he begins his work with hope,
到了夜晚则停止于绝望
and every evening he ends in despair.
我们有着相同的认知:无法理解 就去死
We both have the same feeling that one must understand or die.
他是人们所期望的那种年轻人
He is the young man one hopes for.
他有着艺术家式的性格 直觉敏锐 喜怒无常
His disposition is that of the artist, intuitive and moody.
他影响了我 就像我影响了你
He affects me, just as I affect you.
通过观察他如何使我愤怒和沮丧
I get to know every turn and twist of the ways
我充分了解到自己是如何
in which I irritate and depress you from watching how
使你愤怒和沮丧的
he irritates and depresses me.
同时 我欣赏并钦佩他
And at the same time I love and admire him.
沸腾的激♥情♥可以把他带到任何地方
His boiling passion may drive him anywhere.
吉尔伯特与苏利文:Am I Alone And Unobserved
(GILBERT & SULLIVAN:”Am I Alone And Unobserved”)
♪ 简言之 我的中世纪情节 ♪
♪ In short, my medievalism’s affectation
♪ 源于病态的爱慕之情 ♪
♪ Born of a morbid love of admiration… ♪
老天 英国人真奇怪
God, the English are a queer bunch.
奥托琳·莫瑞尔夫人是最奇怪的
Lady Ottoline Morrell was the queerest.
她与园丁和罗素都有一腿
She was fucking the gardener and Russell.
所有的快乐都在乡间别♥墅♥里
All the fun was in the country houses.
其他人都很不幸 剑桥也很不幸
Everyone else was miserable. Cambridge was miserable.
那里没有氧气
There was no oxygen there.
你能想象晚上和那些自命不凡的信徒在一起吗
Can you imagine spending your evenings with those pretentious apostles?
我讨厌聚会
I was no fun at parties.
♪ 当你踏上神秘之路 ♪
♪ As you walk your mystic way ♪
♪ 如果这个年轻人能表达自己 ♪
♪ If this young man expresses himself… ♪
醉醺醺的英国知识分子闲聊令我厌烦
The drunken chit-chat of British intellectuals bored me.
在绝望中 我逃到挪威
So, in desperation, I fled to Norway
在世界尽头的峡湾修建了一座小房♥子
and built a small house on a fjord at the end of the world.
我开始写作《逻辑笔录》
I started to write “Notes On Logic”.
在成为一个人之前 我如何成为一个逻辑学家呢
How can I be a logician before I’m a human being?
最重要的事情是看清自己
The most important thing is to settle accounts with myself.
这在挪威要简单得多
It’s much easier here in Norway.
孤独是宝贵的财富
The solitude is bliss.
在这儿一天可思考的东西比待在人群里一个月的都多
I can do more work here in a day than I can in a month around people.
剑桥令人难以忍♥受
Cambridge was absolutely unbearable!
简直是个妓院 让我无法集中注意力
A brothel. Impossible to concentrate.
至少在这里 我觉得自己能解决一些问题
Here at last, I feel… I’m solving things.
我听说维特根斯坦先生去挪威了
I’ve heard Herr Wittgenstein has gone to Norway.
我告诉他那里漆黑一片 他说他讨厌白天
I told him it would be dark. He said he hated daylight.
我告诉他那将会很孤独
I told him it would be lonely.
他说和聪明的人聊天是出♥卖♥♥♥自己的思想
He said he prostituted his mind talking to intelligent people.
我说他疯了 他说上帝使他保持理智
I said he was mad. He said God preserve him from sanity.
上帝当然会的
God certainly will.