assessing the possibility that Mr. Babineaux’s civil rights
可能遭到了侵犯
may have been violated.
好 还有其他的吗
Okay. Is that all?
暂时没了
For now.
我们会依次处理这些问题
We will deal with all of these issues in turn,
然后确定庭审日期
and then we will set a trial date.
我们说完了吧
I think that’s all we have to talk about.
那好
All right, then.
韦克斯勒女士 单独说句话
Ms. Wexler, a word in private?
你们先走
I’ll catch up.
金 你让三名酬金每小时四百元的律师
Kim, you’re throwing three $400-an-hour associates
来做无偿的案子
at a pro bono case?
我从来没说过这是无偿的
I never said this was pro bono.
好吧 你有什么计划 金
Okay, what’s the plan here, Kim?
因为你吓不倒我
Because shock and awe isn’t gonna cut it.
你想带厉害的律师来就尽管带
Bring every fancy associate you got,
想提动议就尽管提
file all the motions you want,
到头来 你的委托人依然要进监狱
and at the end of all this, your client is still going away.

Okay.
走着瞧
I guess we’ll see.
每个人的状态都好多了
Everyone seems much improved.
你这双R是个好主意 麦克
This, uh, R and R was a good idea, Michael.
出什么事了吗
I-Is something the matter?
这个
This?
别担心
Don’t be concerned.
我什么都没说
I said nothing.
酒吧里的人都是没话找话
Men at a bar talking to make talk.
你看 没有细节 没有比例尺
And look — no details, no scale at all.
可能是摩天大楼 也可能是鞋盒
Could be a skyscraper, could be a box for shoes.
关于这个建筑
I said nothing about the construction
我只不过说了个大概
that would not be true for thousands of others.
他们肯定已经把我忘到九霄云外去了
By now, they have forgotten me entirely.
他们真会忘掉
They forgot
一个出现在阿尔布开克的德国人吗
the German national in the middle of Albuquerque
嘴里还说着往某个秘密地下场所
talking about pouring hundreds of tons of concrete
灌注几百吨♥水泥
at a secret underground location?
你说得对
Yeah, you’re right.
对不起 麦克尔 我那会喝多了
I’m sorry, Michael. I had too much beer.
可能多嘴了几句
And I may have said more than I should have.
你给我听好了
Listen to me carefully.
我们的老板是来真的
The man we’re working for is very serious.
你想想为了不引人注意
Think about the precautions we take
我们所费的工夫
to keep everything that goes on here quiet.
想想你拿到了多少酬劳
Think about how much money you’re making.
再想想出了差错会有什么后果
Think about what happens if something goes wrong.
你听明白我说的话了吗
Do you understand what I am saying to you?
我明白了
I do understand.
很抱歉惹了麻烦
And I’m sorry to cause any problem.
我向你保证
You have my word —
这样的事情没有下回了
nothing like this will happen again.
很好
Okay.
去工作吧
Let’s get you to work.
我有个问题要问你 埃里克森小姐
I have one question for you, Ms. Ericsen.
-你起诉的是圣诞老人吗 -法官阁下
– Are you prosecuting Santa Claus? – Your Honor?
我这里乱得跟
Because it looks like
《34街奇缘》似的
“Miracle on 34th Street” in here.
这些还只是
This — This is just today,
今天的份
today’s batch, huh?
全都是寄给我的
All addressed to me,
来自路易斯安那州的一个穷乡僻壤
all from some backwater in Louisiana.
我 你看看
I — Look at — Uh,
他们说”别碰我们的英雄”
“Get your hands off our hero,” They say.
还说”放过休·巴布诺吧”
Uh, “Mercy for Huell Babineaux,” They say,
我又不是要把他送上电椅
what — like I’m sending him to the electric chair.
快 告诉我 韦克斯勒小姐
Come — Tell me, uh, Ms. Wexler,
这是你搞的鬼吗
did you start this particular ball rolling?
我指示路易斯安那州库沙塔的居民
Did I instruct the people of Coushatta, Louisiana,
给法庭写信吗
to start writing letters to the court?
没有 法官阁下 我没有
No, Your Honor, I did not.
虽说如此 但是巴布诺先生
That being said, it’s clear Mr. Babineaux
显然曾经改变了许多老乡的生活
has touched the lives of many people in his hometown.
我还知道他们正准备派个代表团
And I do know they’re planning to send a contingent here
旁听庭审以示支持
to show their support during the trial.
你是说我的法庭上会出现一帮乡巴佬吗
Are you talking about a bunch of yahoos packing my court?
很抱歉 法官阁下
I’m sorry, Your Honor,
但我认为这对本案不会造成什么影响
but I’m not sure what bearing any of this has on the case.
巴布诺先生和他老家的联♥系♥
What does Mr. Babineaux’s relationship to his hometown in —
你说是在路易斯安那吗
Did you say Louisiana?
法官阁下 助理地检官
Your Honor, this can’t be a complete surprise
对此不可能一无所知
to the Assistant District Attorney.
她对于被告的过去和我一样清楚
She knows the defendant’s history as well as I do.
听着 如果我再收到一封
Look it, if I receive one more letter
住在沼泽的热心群众来信
from some swamp-dwelling do-gooder,
-我可要尖叫了 -非常感谢
– I’m gonna scream. – Thank you for bringing
告知这一情况 法官阁下
this situation to our attention, Your Honor.
我能看看吗
May I see one of these?
随你看
Oh, oh, take as many as you want.
劳驾 干脆全拿走吧
Yeah, please, just take them all.
我看过这个案子了 不值得大费周章
I have looked at this case. It does not merit a circus.
你们俩把这事给解决了
Now, you two work it out!
-我们试过 法官阁下 -再试一次
– We’ve tried, Your Honor. – Try again.
调取巴布诺的档案
Pull the Babineaux file —
所有交通罚单
every parking ticket,
所有提到他的记录
every time he is mentioned in the records.
你给逮捕他的警官打个电♥话♥
You — call the arresting officer
查清楚他的报告有没有什么遗漏
and find out what, if anything, he left out of his reports.
我要知道他的同伙 住处
I want known associates, places of residence,
车管所资料 我全都要
MVD records, all of it.
我们出了纰漏 我要把它查出来
We missed something, and I want to know what.
马上 快
Right now! Go!

Ben!
我们要查谁
Who we looking for?
我想要弄明白
I want to figure out
为什么人们会为一个小偷着急上火
why a pickpocket has people this overheated.
“休·巴布诺被冤枉了
“Huell Babineaux is wrongfully accused.
“他是个好人
He’s a good man.
“他从没犯过你说的那些事
He’d never do nothing like the things you say he’s done.
“他很善良 人缘很好”
He’s a kind man and a good friend to everyone.”
老天啊 他确实被说得像个圣诞老人
Jesus. They do make him sound like Santa Claus.
这封信上有个号♥码
This one has a phone number.
我看看
Let me see this.
这里是埃默尔·方塔诺
You’ve reached Elmer Fontaneau.
我现在不在家 请留言
I’m not here at the moment, but leave a message,
稍后我会打给你
I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
祝你日安
Have a blessed day.
你好 方塔诺先生
Hello, Mr. Fontaneau.
我是苏珊娜·埃里克森
My name is Suzanne Ericsen
这里是阿尔布开克地检办公室
from the Albuquerque District Attorney’s office.
您回头能给我打个电♥话♥吗
Um, could you give me a call when you have a moment?
是关于休·巴布诺的事
It’s in regards to Huell Babineaux.
我的号♥码是505-186-1945
My number is 505-186-1945.
谢谢
Thanks.
你好
Hello?
请问是艾鲁伊斯·洛卡德吗
Is this Eloise Luckard?
正是
Speaking.
你好 洛卡德小姐
Hi, Ms. Luckard.
我是苏珊娜·埃里克森
My name is Suzanne Ericsen.
我是新墨西哥州
I’m an Assistant District Attorney
阿尔布开克的助理地检官
in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
您给芒辛格法官写了封
You wrote a letter to Judge Munsinger
有关休·巴布诺的信

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!