为什么她不能好好享受胜利的荣耀
Why should she be denied the glory of victory
就因为她出生在这里
just because she was born here?
主教走到B8
Bishop captures B-8.
快把灯灭了 菲欧娜
Put out the lamp, Phiona.
我还有好多东西要学
I have too much to learn.
你快把煤油用光了
You’re going to finish our paraffin.
妈妈 下西洋棋能让我吃饱
Mama, chess allows me porridge.
但是菲欧娜
But for Phiona…
她要学习
She has just learned,
她要学如果在棋盘上智取那些对手
yet she is trapping people on that board.
这是让我们摆脱这个地方 最好的办法了
It is a good game about escaping from this place.
摆脱
Escape.

Hey!
去哪儿 去村里
To where? The villages?
我就是在这里长大的 我也总是饿肚子
I grew up there and my stomach was always empty.
妈妈 至少给菲欧娜一次机会吧
Mama, give Phiona at least chance.
拉干达先生
Mr. Nagenda.
呃 哈里特
Eh… Harriet.

Hmm.
你还记得我的名字
You remember my name?
你是那个村里 唯一值得记下名字的人
The only name from that village worth remembering.
有一段很长的时光了

Eh…
听说你的丈夫死了
I heard you lost your husband.
是的
Yes.
我很遗憾
I’m sorry.
嗯 -嗯
Hmm. -Mmm.
你有再婚吗
Have you remarried?
我带你去卡琳达酒店吧
Let me take you to, uh, Calendar Hotel.
什么
Eh?
共进晚餐
For dinner.
那里的烤肉很美昧
They make excellent grilled meat.
我今天想要的不是烤肉
It is not grilled meat I need today.

Hmm…
我是来卖♥♥给你这件衣服的
I have come to sell you this piece.
是我妈妈留给我的
My mother gave it to me.
那么
Then, um…
我觉得它对于你的价值
Then I’m sure its value to you would be
肯定比对我的高
more than its value to me.
你愿意出多少钱
How much can you offer?
我不想欺负你
I don’t want to insult you.
那会给我惹麻烦的
That would trouble me.
有时候
Sometimes…
我们必须冒点险
we must take a risk,
不是吗
mustn’t we, Tendo?
也许吧
Perhaps.
1万2先令
12,000 shillings.
真的
Mmm-hmm?
你想说的应该是1万5吧
You meant to say 15, didn’t you?
不我其实想说10万的
No, I meant to say 100.
如果你愿意与我
If it might win me your company…
共进晚餐的话
over dinner.
那就1万2
The 12,000 will do.
你好 夫人 你好 夫人
麻烦给我一袋煤油
谢谢
妈妈 -什么
Mama… -Hmm?
卡推有人最后住进城市里去了吗
Has anyone from Katwe become a city person?
别乱想这种事 菲欧娜
Don’t think about such things, Phiona.
为什么
Why not?
因为想了 -嗯哼
Because if you do… -Mmm-hmm.
会失望的
…you will be disappointed.
妈妈 -什么
Mama… -Mmm?
我一定会给你买♥♥一栋房♥子的
I will give you a house one day.
教练 -嘿
Coach! -Hey.
菲欧娜知道我要怎么走
Phiona knows the moves I will play.
她会读心术
She is reading my mind.
大家不是都叫这种人为大♥师♥吗
Don’t they call such people Masters?
菲欧娜 谦虚点
Eh, Phiona, be humble.
教练 大♥师♥都能得到奖金的
Come on, Coach. Masters get stipends.
没错 但是你必须和成年人比赛
Yes, but you have to play big people. Adults.
我们试试看
We will see.
在俄♥罗♥斯♥举♥行♥的西洋棋奥林匹克
The Chess Olympiad in Russia?
菲欧娜 你能获取参赛资格 我们都非常高兴
Phiona, we are all very, very happy that you qualified.
体育部 包括我们所有人都很想支持你 但是
The Ministry, all of us, wish to support you, but…
菲欧娜 即使我们透过努力
Phiona, even if, between us,
找到愿意资助我们的人
we could somehow find the funds…
现在去参赛会不会太早了
isn’t this a bit premature?
没错 为时过早
Premature, yes. Yes.
如果我能在奥林匹克上 击败50%的对手
If I score 50% at the Chess Olympiad…
我就能成为大♥师♥
I can qualify as a Master.
我想成为大♥师♥
I want to be a Master
比什么都想
more than anything in the world.
这对西洋棋联盟 还有我的家人
It would be good for the Chess Federation
都是有益的
and for my family.
欢迎登机
Welcome aboard.
从莫斯科到汉特-曼西斯科的
Flying time from Moscow to Khanty-Mansiysk…
飞行时间总共是3小时零10分钟
will be 3 hours and 10 minutes.
我们非常欢迎奥林匹克的西洋棋参赛队伍
We welcome all the Chess Olympiad teams…
能够搭乘这班航♥班♥ 谢谢
flying with us today. Spasibo.
菲欧娜 记住
Phiona, remember.
比赛打到中场时有很多的困扰因素 包括牺牲和下快棋
The middle-game tricks you like, the sacrifices, the quick mates.
但没有良好的排兵布阵
Without good pawn structures,
这一切都是毫无价值的
much of this will be unavailable to you.
为什么你这么紧张 教练
Why are you nervous, Coach?
皇后会帮助我赢得比赛的
The queen will help me to win.
嘿 太过自信会变成自负
Hey. Be careful of overconfidence, eh?
慢慢来 三思而后行
Slow it down, think it through…
然后你才能看穿对方的陷阱
then you will see the traps coming.
欢迎来到俄♥罗♥斯♥
Welcome to Russia.
谢谢
Thank you.
欢迎
Welcome.
谢谢
Thank you.
这一刻终于来了 教练
Now is the time, Coach.
你为我做的一切 我一定会好好回报你的
I will return everything you have done for me.
为了你和妈妈 我一定要赢
For you and Mama, I’m going to win.
现在先别想这些 菲欧娜
Don’t think about that now, Phiona.
要稳扎稳打 明白吗
One step at a time, eh?
我必须赢
I must win.
接下来为你转播的是
Coming to you live
在俄♥罗♥斯♥ 汉特-曼西斯科举♥行♥的
from Khanty-Mansiysk, in Russia
西洋棋奥林匹克的比赛
where we are presenting our Chess Olympiad game.
现在进行的是乌干达
This is the last round where Uganda
对阵加拿大的最后一轮的比赛
is being paired with Canada
场上的选手是乌干达最年轻的新星
and we are having the Uganda young star,
年仅14岁的菲欧娜.马特斯
14-year-old Phiona Mutesi
是乌干达队的领队
who’s leading her team.
让我们一起来见证史上第一位代表国家
Seeing this youngest girl representing the country…
参赛的最年轻的选手 -加油 菲欧娜
for the first time ever. -Go, Phiona!
见证历史的时刻
This is history in the making.
我从没怀疑过那个女孩
I always believed in that girl.
菲欧娜看上去有点紧张 但是她非常勇敢
Phiona looks a bit nervous, but she’s very bold.
比赛很激烈
Tight, tight game.
但是现在的情形对她不是很有利
But the position is not very good for her.
卡格拉诺姆目前占据优势地位
Kagramanov has a bit advantage for now,
但菲欧娜还在坚持
but Phiona is still hanging in there.
噢 不 她放弃了
Oh, no. Oh, no. Yeah, she’s resigned.
看来她要认输了
I think she’s giving up on the game.
果然这种比赛对一个14岁的选手而言 太过沉重了
I think this is too much for a 14-year-old.
菲欧娜 菲欧娜 菲欧娜
Phiona. Phiona! Phiona!
我告诉过你 不能离队的
I told you, never leave the group, eh?
我永远也不可能成为大♥师♥
I will never be a Master.