In lieu of Constantinople, could not we lure you to tea at the Beehive?
– 不了,谢谢 – 好吧,蜜尼,只好我们两个人去了
– No, thank you. – Oh, well, Minnie, you and I must eat alone.
– 下午好 – 下午好,毕伯先生
– Good afternoon. – Good afternoon, Mr. Beebe.
– 你一定要帮我说服母亲 – 什么?
– You must persuade Mother. – What?
我一定得离开此地
Don’t you see? I must go somewhere. Anywhere!
在事情传开前,我得先离开
I must get away, far, before it’s known.
– 什么事? – 我退婚的事啊!
– What? – That I’ve broken off my engagement.
– 不能让他知道 – 你是说爱默森先生
– He mustn’t get any ideas. – You mean Mr. Emerson?
你真是迟钝
Charlotte, how slow you are.
当然要避开这里的闲言闲语,但是有必要到希腊去吗?
There must be no gossip at Summer Street, but to go as far as Greece!
夏绿蒂,你一定得帮我,你该马上建议我妈让我去希腊
I thought you’d be the first to go to Mother and say Lucy must go to Greece.
你确定要去希腊吗?
Lucy, are you absolutely sure? I only want to do what is right for you.
别和我争,照我的话去做吧
I’m telling you what’s right. Don’t argue, do it!
好吧
All right.
谢谢,佛莱迪
Thank you, Freddy.
她为何那种神情?
Why does she look like that?
– 什么神情? – 夏绿蒂的神情
– Like what? – Like Charlotte Bartlett.
因为她是夏绿蒂
Because she is Charlotte Bartlett.
∮Stop thine ear ∮
∮Against the singer ∮
∮From the red gold ∮
∮Keep thy finger ∮
调子还可以,但词太老掉牙了
The tune’s fine, but the words are rotten.
– 马丽安 – 夏绿蒂
– Marian? – Oh, Charlotte!
– 露西有个计划 – 这不是一出悲剧吧?
– Lucy has a plan. – Isn’t this a tragedy?
我这个还没绑好,另一个又松了
I get one thing tied up and another thing falls over.
– 爱伦小姐要去希腊 – 祝她们愉快
– The Misses Alan are going to Greece. – Good luck to them.
露西也想和她们去雅典
Lucy would like to join them as far as Athens.
– 什么? – 如果路况还好,就会去达尔非
– She’d what? – And on to Delphi if the roads are safe.
∮Vacant heart and hand and eye ∮
∮Easy live and quiet die ∮
∮Vacant heart and hand and eye ∮
∮Easy live and quiet die ∮
你可以把这些都带走,但把这个留下给我,我现在需要它
You can take all those, but leave me Thoreau till I go. I need him by me now.
这房♥子太糟,我们从不喜欢它
It’s an ugly house. We never liked it.
我不能误了火车,搬运工可以处理剩下的东西
I mustn’t miss the train. The removers can do the rest.
我…
Oh, I …
我不要你伤了背
No. I don’t want you straining your back.
周末我不来了,没有必要
I won’t be down at the weekend. There’s no point.
下周我再来接你
I’ll come to take you back to town the week after.
在火车上可用湿纸巾来擦脸
Paper soap is a great help towards freshening up one’s face on a train.
你知道这很重要,凡斯先生可以帮你
But you know about these matters, and you have Mr. Vyse to help you.
他是个绅士
A gentleman is such a standby.
凡斯先生愿肯让你来,真是太好了
It’s so good of Mr. Vyse to spare you.
也许过些时候他会加入你
Perhaps he will join you later.
– 他是不是因工作走不开? – 他来送你时,我们该见见他
– Or does work keep him in London? – We shall meet him when he sees you off.
没人送她,露西不喜欢送行
No one will see Lucy off. She doesn’t like it.
真的?
Really?
我该想到的…
But, in this case …
– 汉尼太太,你要走了吗? – 是的,我们得去赶火车
– You aren’t going? – Yes, we’ve a train to catch.
– 幸会 – 我们会常写信给你
– It’s been such a pleasure to meet you. – We will write you often
把各地的风景卡片寄回来
and send pretty cards from every place.
– 非常感谢你谈起她 – 再见
– Thank you so much for taking her. – Bye-bye.
总算过关了
Well, we got through that time.
也见到最不愉快的场面了
Yes, and were seen through, which is most unpleasant.
我永远不明白这件事
I cannot understand this hole and corner business.
你把西索赶走,干净利落
You got rid of Cecil, well and good.
为何不能公开声明?
I’m thankful. Why not announce it?
– 我说过离开伦敦以前不能说 – 维多利亚车站
– I promised. It’s only for a few days. – Victoria Station.
我想不通,露西没有…
I couldn’t help thinking that our dear Lucy did not … No.
你最好练习把话说完
I wish you’d finish your sentences. You’re getting worse.
她看来不像是准新娘
Did not look like a bride-to-be.
根据你丰富的经验,准新娘该怎样?
How should one look? According to your great experience in these matters.
我说不上来,她少了什么东西
I can’t say exactly. Only she lacked something.
她少了…喜悦
And, if you want to know, Teresa, she lacked radiance.
– 巴特列小姐 – 毕伯先生
– Miss Bartlett. – Mr. Beebe.
– 你的邻居发生了什么事? – 他们正在搬家
– What is happening to your neighbors? – They’re moving.
老爱默森先生的风湿又犯了,乔治认为距离太远了
Old Mr. Emerson’s rheumatism is back, and George thinks it’s too far.
爱默森先生正在我这里
Mr. Emerson is avoiding the removers inside.
我可以在此等汉尼太太吗?
Might I impose and wait here for Mrs. Honeychurch?
可以,但是你得原谅我不陪你了
By all means. I’m afraid you must excuse me.
爱默森先生,巴特列小姐,我失陪了
Mr. Emerson, Miss Bartlett, excuse me.
请便
Oh, please.
很遗憾你因病必须搬家,爱默森先生
I am sorry that the house has brought on your rheumatism.
不是的,是因为我孩子
It’s not the rheumatism, it’s my boy.
乔治很难过
George is so sorry.
我不能责怪他,但他应该先告诉我的
I cannot blame him, but I wish he’d told me about it first.
– 他从没告诉你在意大利的事 – 一个字也没提
– He never told you what happened in Italy? – Not a word.
露西说过他不会说的
No. Lucy said he wouldn’t.
我是上星期天才知道的
I was only told last Sunday.
– 知道什么? – 他爱上她了
– What were you told? – That he loves her.
请坐
Won’t you sit down?
我听到车来了
I think I hear the carriage.
不好意思让我表妹等我
It would be discourteous to keep my cousin waiting.
车子还没来
There isn’t any carriage.
你请坐吧
Sit down, my dear.
除了乔治,每个人都在说谎
Everyone’s been lying, except George.
汉尼小姐一月就要嫁给凡斯
And now here’s Miss Honeychurch marrying Mr. Vyse in January …
她已经退婚了
She has broken off her engagement.
都已处理好了
It was all done with great tact and discretion, naturally.
目前,我们不想张扬出去
And, for the time being, we would like to keep it quiet.
我们应该因时制宜
There’s a time for keeping quiet and there’s a time for speaking out.
车子还没来
Now, you don’t hear any carriage.
你好好地坐着吧,别客气
Why don’t you sit back, make yourself more comfortable? Take this.
这个给你,这样好多了
There. You look much better.
她…不嫁给凡斯了?
So she’s not marrying Mr. Vyse?
为什么?为何去希腊?
Why? Why Greece?
为何要到那么远的地方?
Why rush off to the ends of the earth?
你厌倦家了,厌倦目前的生活
You’re tired of your home. You’re tired of Windy Corner.
也厌倦我和佛莱迪了
And you’re tired of Freddy and me.
我当然不厌倦,说到这里
Of course I’m not tired of Windy Corner, but, as we’re talking about it,
将来我想多到伦敦走走
I shall want to come up to London more.
也许和别的女孩一起租间公♥寓♥
I might even share a flat for a little with some other girl.
我明年就可以赚钱了
You see, I come into my money next year.
打打字,管管衣帽 这也叫工作
To mess about with typewriters and latchkeys and call it work.
– 也许我说得太早了 – 天呐
– Perhaps I spoke hastily. – Oh, goodness!
你倒使我想起夏绿蒂了
You remind me of Charlotte Bartlett!
– 夏绿蒂? – 夏绿蒂,就是她
– Charlotte? – Charlotte to a T.
她和我不一样
I don’t know what you mean. We are not the least alike.
– 你们以前是不一样 – 我们把蓬子放下,好吗?
– You never used to be. – Can’t we have the hood down?
我们可以把蓬子放下吗?
Can we have the hood down, Powell?
车夫,那房♥子又要出让了吗?
Powell, is that house to be let again?
听说哈瑞先生在找新房♥客
Sir Harry’s looking for new tenants, I hear, Miss.
真可惜,爱默森家要搬走
What a pity about the Emersons.
佛莱迪一定会很难过,事实上,我也是
Freddy will be so sorry. And, indeed, so am I.
– 去店里吧 – 是,夫人
– All right, Powell, stop at the stores. – Yes, ma’am. Walk on.
他们是很讨人喜欢的一家人,真可惜
Such an agreeable family. What a pity.
没看见夏绿蒂
No Charlotte.
露西,到毕伯那里去看看
Go and see if she’s at Mr. Beebe’s.
你们俩动作快点,玛丽已经煮好饭了
And do hurry, both of you. Mary has her fish pie in.
露西,你听到我的话了吗?
Did you hear what I said, Lucy?
露西
Lucy!
爱默森先生说全是他的错
Mr. Emerson says it’s all his fault.
因为我告诉他要信任爱情
I told him to trust to love.
我说,”乔治,要爱就去爱”,我是这么教他的
I told him, “George, love and do what you will.” It’s what I taught him.
所以这全是我的错
So you see, it is all my fault.
你上哪儿去?
Where are you going?
你母亲要接我
Your mother offered to fetch me in her carriage.
我从未让人等待过,尤其是对主人
I have not been brought up to keep anyone waiting, least of all a kind hostess.
露西呢?
And now where’s Lucy?
你上来,夏绿蒂,如果让玛丽等太久,她会生气的
Get in. If Mary’s fish pie spoils, she’ll mope till next Friday.
– 我坐这边 – 坐这边没关系
– I will sit here. – Nonsense.
– 那边应该让你们坐 – 你明明喜欢面向前方的
– I mustn’t inconvenience you. – You know you prefer facing.
不要讨论你儿子,他一开始就行为不检
I’ve no wish to even hear your son’s name mentioned. He has misbehaved from the first.
他的行为令人不齿

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!