我一直深受奇幻的海洋吸引
I’ve always been drawn to the magic of the ocean.
这里的时间好像都慢了下来
It feels like time slows down.
大部分的人凝视太空而感到惊叹
Most people stare up into space with wonder.
然而在我们自己的地球上 就有最特别的世界
Yet, we have this almost-alien world on our own planet…
充满生机
just teeming with life.
但这是大部分的人从未探索过的世界
But it’s a world most people never explore.
理查维尔斯 正在以谷歌♥绘制街道图的方法
Richard Vevers is documenting the oceans’ reefs
纪录海洋中的珊瑚礁
the same way Google maps out streets.
每三秒钟拍一张…
picture every three seconds.
360度的全景照片
s napping a 360-degree
这里是我们测绘全球珊瑚礁的过程中
This is the 21st country that we’ve done
来到的第21个国家
as part of a global survey of coral reefs.
潜藏在世界各大海洋表面下的…
Hidden below the surface of the world’s oceans,
壮观珊瑚园
spectacular gardens of coral.
珊瑚礁是我们吃的许多海鲜 生命的来源
Reefs are where much of the seafood we eat begins life.
珊瑚礁是五亿多人的食物和收入来源
Reefs are a source of food and income for over 500 million people.
重点在于 把它当作科学研究一样
It’s really about trying to communicate with science,
试着与科学连结
as much as doing the science itself.
带大家踏上旅程
To take people on a journey.
这场惊人的海底之旅
that incredible journey under the sea,
可能是许多人最近距离 观赏奇特海底景观的一次
which could be the closest many of us come to seeing an exotic underwater site.
只要有网路的人就有机会…
Giving anyone with Internet access the chance to go on a virtual dive
以许多不同的测绘视野潜在水中
in many of the survey sites.
我以前是做广♥告♥的
I used to be an ad man.
我在广♥告♥业待了十年
I spent ten years in advertising,
在几间伦敦顶尖的广♥告♥公♥司♥上班
working at some of the top London agencies.
但时间久了你发现自己的对话都是…
Over time, you realize you’re having these conversations about…
(理查维尔斯 水底摄影师)
跟卫生纸有关…大家会热烈争论
toilet rolls, and it’s heated debate.
或是讨论应该贩售四层的卫生纸
And it’s about selling four-ply toilet tissue
而不是三层的
rather than three-ply.
然后你心里会想…
And you go…
我相信我的人生应该有更好的事能做
“I’m sure there’s something better I can be doing with my life.”
我从16岁就开始潜水
I’ve been diving since the age of 16.
以前会常常去寻找草海龙
I used to go looking for these weedy seadragons,
它们是非常惊人的动物
which are these incredible animals.
长得像海马 但其实是身长30公分的海龙
It’s like a seahorse, but it’s a dragon about a foot long…
大部分的人甚至不知道它们的存在
that most people don’t even know exists.
但有一年,它们全部…
But then, one year, they were all disappearing
都在我最喜欢的地点消失了
from all my favorite sites.
它们是我在世界上最喜欢的动物之一
You know, this was one of my favorite creatures in the world.
我心想“如果我最爱的生物消失了”
And you go, “Well, if it’s happening to one of my favorite creatures,
“还有哪些生物也消失了?”
what else is it happening to?”
当时我才明白
And that’s when I realized
海洋最大的其中一个问题是…
one of the biggest issues with the ocean is
大家完全眼不见为净
it is completely out of sight and out of mind,
本质上这就是一个宣传议题
and that, essentially, is an advertising issue.
当我们俯瞰地球 它在已知的宇宙中是独一无二的
You know, when you look at our planet, it’s unique in the known universe
因为地球有生命之源,海洋
because we’ve got an ocean that is the source of life.
它掌管了一切
And it controls everything.
掌管了天气的变化
It controls the weather.
掌管了气候的变迁
It controls the climate.
也掌管了我们呼吸的氧气含量
It controls the oxygen we breathe.
没有健康的海洋就没有健康的地球
Without a healthy ocean, we do not have a healthy planet.
你要如何连结这些问题?
How do you communicate these issues?
这个计划称为XL卡特林海景调查
The project was called the XL Catlin Seaview Survey.
我们想做的是向世界揭开海洋的面貌
What we wanted to do was reveal the oceans to the world.
人们会想像海底世界
People were engaging with the imagery,
他们会体验虚拟潜水
they were going for virtual dives,
但他们不会了解其中存在着问题
but they weren’t understanding there’s a problem.
所以我们得从头开始
So, we had to really go back to the drawing board…
我想我们很震惊地领悟到…
and I think that was a shocking realization
旅程才正要开始
that we’re only at the start of a journey.
(佛罗里达群岛 凯里斯堡礁)
好,这一个是在后礁
Okay, this one is gonna be behind, in the back-reef.
这是哪一年拍的? -1975年
So, what year was this? -This is 1975.
了解 -了解吗?
Right. -Okay?
了解 -后面这个区域…
Yep. -This whole area back here
(海洋生物学家)
都是麋角珊瑚 -是
was just thick with Acropora palmata. -Right.
麋角珊瑚 -还剩下多少?
The elkhorn coral. -And how much is there left?
百分之0.01
.01%.
大概是这样,待会就会看到了
Something like that. You’ll see.
好 -我们去看看
Yeah. -We’ll go see.
所以我们想知道 我们看到了什么
So, you wanna know what we’re looking at.
这些全都是死掉的礁滩
This flat– This is all dead reef flat.
都是死掉的麋角珊瑚
This is all dead elkhorn coral.
你可以看到很多骨骼 但都已经没有任何生命
You can see all the skeletons in place, but there’s nothing alive.
这是1971年珊瑚礁的模样
So, this is what the reef looked like in 1971.
到处充满活珊瑚
This is all covered with living corals.
这是非常具有代表性的
This is very typical.
是佛罗里达群岛代表性的珊瑚
Very, very typical of the Florida Keys.
50年前,不是这样的
And 50 years ago, that wasn’t the case,
30年前,也不是如此
30 years ago, that wasn’t the case.
全都消失了
All of it, gone.
菲尔告诉我,我们已经失去了 佛罗里达百分之80到90的珊瑚
Phil told me that we’ve lost 80 to 90% of corals in Florida.
我完全不知道这些问题这么严重
I had no idea that these issues were so advanced.
(过去30年 我们已经失去世界上一半的珊瑚)
我想可能是这一个 -对
I think it might be this one. -Yep.
早安,我是理查 -我是吉姆波特
Morning. I’m Richard. -Jim Porter. Pleased to meet you.
很高兴见到你 -幸会
Very nice to meet you.
谢谢你亲自过来
Thanks so much for coming down.
所有我展示的照片…
So, all of this stuff that I’m showing in here…
都是1976年拍的
um, is from 1976.
这是牙买♥♥加的愉景湾 -了解
This is Discovery Bay, Jamaica. -[Vevers] Yep.
这是当时的景象
And that’s what it looked like then.
(波特博士 海洋生物学家)
这是现在的景象 -了解
And this is a what it looks like now. -Right.
这个调查还没被分♥析♥
This survey sat unanalyzed.
只是一些零碎的照片 而不是完整的情况
Just little bits and pieces, but not the whole story.
他的照片刚开始 是为了科学用途才设计的
His imagery was designed for scientific purpose.
如果没有特别说明 并不会马上吸引你的注意力
It doesn’t capture you instantly without explanation.
这就是我们失去的东西
This is what we have lost.
这是过去的样子 -是
This is the way it was. -Yep.
我爱上一个地方 进而展开我的事业…
I started my career in love with a place…
现在那些地方都快消失了
and those places have diminished.
看到这样的损失非常令人沮丧
To see that lost is very devastating.
我遇过很多科学家 他们对这个问题…
A lot of scientists I’ve met have got really depressed
都感到非常沮丧
about this issue.
我在广♥告♥业有十年的经验
Whereas I’ve had the experience to do ten years in advertising,
在广♥告♥业我们相信任何问题…
where you believe any problem can be solved
(理查维尔斯)
在极短的时间内都能获得解决
in a ridiculously short period of time.
你只是需要发挥点创意
You just gotta do a bit of creative thinking.
很好,谢谢 -谢谢
That’s great. Lovely. Thank you. -Thank you.
不好意思 你知道露丝在哪里吗?露丝盖兹?
Excuse me. Do you know where Ruth is? Ruth Gates?
教室在这里 所有纱窗都打开
Um, and the classroom’s right here. All those screens go up.
(夏威夷海洋生物研究所)
我们进去看看
We’ll go in and have a look.
很酷吧?
Wow. Is it cool?
真是难以置信
Unbelievable.

Okay, um…
(盖兹博士 珊瑚礁生物学家)
它们是真的在动
It’s the fact that it’s moving.
非常惊人的是经过这么多年 -是
Isn’t it amazing that after all– -Yeah.
我研究珊瑚25年了
Twenty-five years I’ve been working on corals,
现在看显微镜 还是会觉得“我的天啊”
I can look down a microscope and go, “Bloody hell”?
我懂…
I know, that…
我的理解是,这是动物,这也是动物
My understanding was this was an animal, this was an animal.
对 -它们是一样的动物?
Yeah. -Are they the same animal?
没错 -但是…
They are. -But, um…
我知道它们是相同的动物…
I know they’re identical animals…
对 -但它们一样吗?
Yeah. -…but are they the same?
是的 -所以它们…
They are. -So, they…