Hi. My name’s Orion.
你好 我叫猎户星
I’m a kid, just like you, so we have that in common.
我和你一样 也是个孩子 这是我们之间的共同点
Anyhow, I saw you sitting there by yourself
总之 我看到你一个人坐在那边
and thought maybe you’d like some company.
我想也许你需要陪伴
I know I would.
至少我知道我会想要
So that’s why I’m walking up to you right now and…
所以这就是为什么 我现在走到你面前 然后…
Walking right past you.
从你身边走了过去
Why, you ask?
你可能会问为什么?
Because, Sally,
因为 莎莉
I’m afraid.
我害怕了
Afraid of what, you want to know? So much, really.
你想知道我害怕什么? 我害怕的多着呢
But in this case, rejection, humiliation…
不过现在是因为害怕被拒绝和 羞辱…
that you might tell your friends, and they would all laugh at me.
你可能会告诉你的朋友 然后他们会嘲笑我
And it’s not just you I’m afraid of, Sally.
而且我害怕的不只是你 莎莉
And not just girls in general.
也不只是所有女孩
It’s most things, to be candid.
坦白说 大多数事情都让我害怕
Oh, it’s tuna. What do you have?
哦 这是金枪鱼三明治 你吃什么?
It would be kinda nice to know.
要是能知道就好了
The school counselor told me to document my fears in some form.
学校辅♥导♥员让我把恐惧的事 记录下来
That’s why I keep a sketchbook.
于是我准备了这本素描本
It’s my way of trying to manage my issues.
试图解决我的问题
Take page 14, for example. My fear of clogging the toilet…
用第十四页举个例子 我害怕”跟莎莉聊天” “愚蠢的话” “马桶堵塞!”
and flooding the whole entire school.
把整所学校给淹了
Oh, thank God.
哦 谢天谢地
I’m also afraid of giving the wrong answer in class.
我也害怕在课堂上说错答案
Who can tell me which explorer first reached India by sea?
谁能告诉我哪位探险家 最先航行到印度?
Me, me, me! – A tricky situation.
我 我 我! – 一个棘手的情况
Mrs. Spinoza usually calls on kids who don’t raise their hands.
斯宾诺莎老师通常会选那些不举手的学生
But raising my hand so she won’t call on me is a dangerous strategy.
为了不让她叫我而举手 是我冒了很大风险的策略
Therefore I try to look invisible. But at the same time, not too invisible.
所以我尽量让自己不太显眼 但是同时 也不能太低调
I know the answer is Vasco da Gama.
我知道答案是瓦斯科·达·伽马
It’s the answer to a great many questions in the fifth grade,
这是五年级课堂上许多问题的答案
but I’m afraid if called on, I might say “Gasco da Vama”,
但我很担心我会不小心说 成”伽斯科·达·瓦马”
or “Dasco ga Vama.”
或者是”达斯科·伽·瓦马”
Everyone would laugh.
然后所有人都会笑我
Oh, Mrs. Spinoza, I know!
斯宾诺莎老师 我知道!
Yes? Lisa?
是谁? 丽莎?
Vasco da Gama. – Very good, Lisa.
瓦斯科·达·伽马 – 答得好 丽莎
I’m not a real big fan of Lisa.
我不太喜欢丽莎
But to be fair,
但公平地说
there are a lot of things I’m not a big fan of.
我不喜欢的事情太多了
Murderous gutter clowns are high on my list.
在我的名单上 凶悍的地沟小丑名列前茅
Cell phone waves giving me cancer.
还有致癌的手♥机♥电波
Hi, Grandma.
你好 外婆
Mosquito bites getting infected.
叮了蚊子包后被感染
Falling off a skyscraper.
从摩天大楼上掉下来
Saying “good morning.” -“Goob dorning!”
说”早上好” -“早上好!”
Bees. Dogs. The ocean.
蜜蜂 小狗 海洋
I’m afraid of being responsible for my team losing.
我害怕球队因为我输掉比赛
Hey, Orion, catch!
嘿 猎户星 接住!
主队32 客队33
And of course, I’m afraid of locker rooms.
当然啦 我害怕更衣室
Because A, what sane person isn’t?
因为首先 哪个有理智的人不怕呢?
You okay, Gabe?
你还好吗 加布?
And B…
其次是因为…
Richie Panici.
叛逆齐
Well, well, well, look who it is. Cryin’ Orion!
哎呀呀 这是谁呀 爱哭鬼猎户星!
Hey, Richie.
你好 阿齐
Wear pants much?
你常穿裤子吗?
I’m afraid of being humiliated by Richie Panici.
我害怕被叛逆齐羞辱
Afraid of being punched by him.
怕被他打
Also, I’m afraid of… Okay, what if I punch him back?
我还害怕…要是我反击的话
And his nose goes into his brain, and he dies.
一拳把他的鼻子塞进脑子里 然后他就死了
That can happen, the nose and the brain thing. Look it up.
这是可能的 把鼻子塞进脑子里 你查查就知道了
I’ll go to juvie.
那样我就会进少管所
Plus, I’ll have to live with the guilt of…
背负着罪恶的…
Hey! I asked if you wear pants much. Don’t be rude.
嘿!我问你常穿裤子吗? 别这么没礼貌
Yes, I do wear pants.
是的 我穿裤子
Much?
常穿吗?
What’s that pad you always got?
你经常带在身边的本子里写了什么?
“I’m afraid of monsters, bees, haircuts, dogs…
〝我害怕怪物 蜜蜂 理发 狗…〞
the ocean, Richie Panici…” Hey! I’m famous! Thanks!
〝大海 叛逆齐…〞 嘿!我真有名!谢谢!
Wait. You drew me dead! No one draws me dead!
慢着 你把我画死了! 没人能把我画死!
I’m hereby “consificating” this on account of its rudeness to me,
我要”收没”它 因为这对我非常无礼
Richie Panici.
叛逆齐
If I weren’t so scared, I would tell you that that’s my property.
如果我不是那么害怕的话 我会告诉你那是我的财产
That I put my heart and soul into it,
我倾注了全部心血
and that you had no right to grab it from me.
而且你没有权利夺走它
I would also tell you that the word is “confiscating.”
我还会告诉你 你应该说的是”没收”
Thank you, Richie.
谢谢你 阿齐
Whatever.
随便你
I don’t know why I thanked him.
我不知道我为什么感谢他
Have a great weekend, everyone.
祝大家周末愉快
Oh, and don’t forget to leave your permission slips on my desk.
别忘了把你们的家长签字放我桌上
The bus for the planetarium leaves on Monday at nine a.m. sharp.
大巴周一早九点整出发前往天文馆
Oh, no. I was hoping Mrs. Spinoza would’ve forgotten about the field trip.
哦不 我还希望斯宾诺莎老师 会忘记这次实地考察
Ah, this is gonna be so fun!
一定很好玩!
Fun? It sounds fun to you, Lisa?
好玩? 丽莎 你觉得会很好玩?
Are you insane? This field trip sounds terrifying.
你疯了? 这次实地考察听起来很可怕
Getting packed like sardines into a rusty school bus
像沙丁鱼一样挤进一辆生锈的校车
with 30 other kids speeding down the highway?
和三十个学生一起在高速上狂奔?
Sounds like a traffic accident waiting to happen.
听上去就像注定要发生交通事故
I should know.
我知道这事会发生的
I’ve studied the actuarial charts.
我研究过精算图表
And all those giant models of our solar system hanging from the ceiling?
还有那些悬挂在天花板上的 大型太阳系模型?
I mean, how long have those things been up there?
那些东西在那里挂了多久?
A hundred years?
一百年?
Plus, what if I end up having to sit next to Sally at the planetarium,
还有 要是我在天文馆 坐在了莎莉旁边
and our hands touch?
然后我们的手碰到了怎么办?
I’ll have a panic attack.
我会惊恐发作
It’ll become a running joke around the school,
这会成为学校里流传的笑话
and I’ll never know the joy of a meaningful human connection!
而我永远都无法体会有意义的 人际交往所带来的乐趣!
Orion, do you have your permission slip?
猎户星 你有家长签字吗?
I was afraid she was gonna say that.
我就害怕她会这么问
Um, my parents won’t let me go to the planetarium.
我父母不让我去天文馆
Yeah, they don’t believe in, uh, space.
是的 他们不相信太空
Yeah, um, it’s a whole thing.
是的 说来话长
She’s over here.
她在这儿
Hey, Orion.
你好 猎户星
I’m super excited for the field trip.
我很期待这次实地考察
So, um, I was wondering if maybe you wanted to sit together?
我在想 我们到那之后
While we’re there?
你想和我坐在一起吗?
If I weren’t so scared, I’d tell you, “Of course I do, Sally.
如果我不是那么害怕 我会告诉你 “当然愿意 莎莉”
Of course I wanna hang out with you.
“我当然想和你一起玩”
To be frank, I’ve never wanted anything more, but to do that,
坦白说 这是我最渴望的事情 但要这样说
I’d have to be able to not constantly obsess over every negative thing
我必须让自己避免沉迷于
that could possibly happen…”
每一件可能发生的坏事…
Oh, that’s my mom. I gotta go.
哦 我妈妈来了 我要走了
See you at the planetarium, Orion!
天文馆见 猎户星!
No, you won’t.
不 你不会见到我的
Page 17 in my sketch book.
我的素描本第十七页
I’m afraid my parents will move away while I’m at school.
我担心我的父母会在我上学期间搬家
已出♥售♥
I don’t know why I fear this.
我不知道为什么自己会害怕这件事
The counselor at school doesn’t have any theories.
学校辅♥导♥员也想不出原因
My parents certainly seem nice enough, he says.
他说我的父母看起来很友善
And I think he’s correct.
我觉得他说得对
Hi, honey!
你好 宝贝!
Hi, Mom. – How was school?
你好 妈妈 – 今天上学还好吗?
Fine. – I made you oatmeal cookies.
不错 – 我给你做了燕麦饼干
允许参加班级实地考察
how’d that get there?