所以我周围才有特勤局这些人
NIXON: This is why I got all these Secret Service guys around.
没什么可担心的
There’s nothing to worry about.
作为总统 已经习惯这些事了
As a president, you get used to this kind of stuff.
埃德过来 换掉这只750瓦的 尽快
DAVIS: Ed, we gotta get in here and change out this 750, ASAP.
– 集中精神 先生 – 好
(WHISPERING) Focus, sir. Yeah.
好 回到现场 注意我数的数
Okay, we are back. Okay, take it on my count.
好 准备好开机 30秒倒数
Okay, stand by to roll tape. 30 seconds.
闲杂人退场
DAVIS: Settling.
昨晚过得还愉快吗?
You have a pleasant evening last night?
愉快 谢谢您
Yes, thank you.
有没有婚前性行为呢?
Did you do any fornicating?
戴维 二号♥机 四
David, we’re starting with camera two in four,
(CLEARS THROAT)
三 二…
Three, two and…
总统先生 您带着停战的承诺上任
Mr. President, you came to office promising peace,
但您一入主白宫
but no sooner did you get into the White House
美国在越南陷得更深 战争也拖长了
than US involvement in Vietnam deepened and the war was prolonged
带来了灾难性的后果
with calamitous consequences.
你是否觉得自己背叛了选民?
Did you feel that you’d betrayed the people that had elected you?
这么说吧 越战不是我引起的
Well, Vietnam was not my war.
我上任时就是这局面
It was my inheritance.
– 如果你问我… – 抢过话头
And it looked to me… Jump in.
… 我们在此谈话的原因
…as if the reason for our being there
可能还未被美国人♥民♥充分理解
had perhaps not been adequately understood by the American people.
在我看来 他们还没认识到
It seemed to me they hadn’t realized
就美国的信誉而言这次检验是多么重要
how important a test this was of American credibility.
全世界都在等着瞧
The whole world was watching to see
我们是否有经受住这一切的品质
if we have the character to see it through.
现在 听着 我本可以速战速决 真的可以
Now, look, I could have bugged out. I could have.
我本可以把过错都推到前任身上
I could have blamed it on my predecessors.
我本可以更早从越南撤军
I could have pulled the troops out of Vietnam early,
更有可能 我还会获得
and very possibly, I would have won
什么斯坎蒂纳维亚的和平奖 (指诺贝尔奖)
some Scandinavian peace prize into the bargain.
但我坚信这份事业
But I believed in the cause.
而且有时候 你知道 自己相信的才是更加艰难的那条路
And sometimes, you know, what you believe in, it’s the harder path.
你甚至可以说我是越战中最后一个伤亡人员
You might even say that I was the last casualty of the Vietnam War.
是啊 对那些下♥体♥截瘫的人说这番话瞧瞧
Yeah, tell that to the paraplegics.
来吧 戴维 柬埔寨
Come on, David, Cambodia.
还有柬埔寨呢? 人人都建议您别进行那次侵略
And Cambodia? An invasion which everybody advised you against.
中情局和五角大楼 的所有情报都认为会失败
All the CIA and Pentagon intelligence suggested it would fail.
那您为什么要做?
So why did you do it?
这个 首先
Well, first of all,
袭击柬埔寨的结果是 我们查获了2万2千条来♥福♥枪♥
as a result of our incursion into Cambodia, we picked up 22,000 rifles,
1千5百万发子弹 15万枚火箭和迫击炮
15 million rounds of ammunition, 150,000 rockets, mortars.
都属于北越分子
That’s all belonging to the North Vietnamese,
要是没有越战 这些枪弹都会
which would only otherwise have been directed
用在美国士兵身上
right onto American soldiers.
但您说发动攻击的主要理由之一
But one of the principal justifications you gave for the incursion
是那里应该有
was the supposed existence of
“南越共♥军♥所有武装力量的总部”
the “headquarters of the entire Communist military operation in South Vietnam,”
类似什么”竹制五角大楼” 但后来证明那从未存在过
a sort of “bamboo Pentagon” which proved not to exist at all.
– 不 不 稍等一下 – 慢着 我是… – 派遣…
No, no. Wait a minute there. No, I was… And by sending…
而且派遣B-52战机地毯式轰炸一个国家
And by sending B-52s to carpet bomb a country,
彻底摧毁整个民用区域
wiping out whole civilian areas,
您最终让一个温顺的民族变得激进了
you end up radicalizing a once moderate people,
怀着反美情绪联合起来
uniting them in anti-American sentiment
在红色高棉制♥造♥了一个魔怪
and creating a monster in the Khmer Rouge
引起了内战…
that would lead to civil war…
– 就是这样! – …和大屠♥杀♥
All right! …and genocide.
是的 很好 很好 很好 那太好了
Yes, good, good, good. There it is.
好 播放影片
Okay, run VT.
播放
Roll tape.
现在 先生 我想您一定会同意
Well, sir, I’m sure you’d agree,
那些画面令人非常不安
some pretty stirring images there.
听着 美国的政策绝不是要屠♥杀♥平民 那是敌人的方式
Look, it was never US policy to kill civilians. That’s the enemy’s way.
我并不是在说…
Well, I’m not suggesting…
如果你要问
And if you’re asking the question
我是否惋惜双方在战争中的人员伤亡 是的 我当然惋惜
do I regret the casualties on both sides in the war, yeah, sure, of course I do.
让我告诉你 惋惜会让人疲惫不堪
Let me tell you something. It can just wear you down.
– 是的 确实 先生 – 当你面对那些人…
Well, all right, sir, when you are faced with someone who…
但无论何时我心存疑虑
But whenever I have had my doubts,
就会想起那位费城的建筑工人
I remembered the construction worker in Philadelphia,
因为他走过来
because he came up to me
对我说 “先生 对柬埔寨那事我只有一点不满
and he said, “Sir, I got only one criticism of that Cambodia thing.
“要是您早些开战
“If you’d gone in earlier,
“就会缴获
“you might have captured the gun
“三月前杀死我儿子的那把枪”
“that killed my boy three months ago.”
所以要是你问我后不后悔进军柬埔寨?
So you’re asking me, do I regret going into Cambodia?
不! 我不后悔 你知道吗?
No! I don’t. You know what?
我倒希望更早进军 打击更猛
I wish I’d gone in sooner and harder.
唬住他了!
SAWYER: Got him. Safe!
气势太盛了 气势太盛了 他是那么自信
It was horrifying. It was horrifying. And he was so confident.
(REPORTERS CLAMORING)
对水门事件您将做何评价?
REPORTER: What are you gonna say about Watergate?
不好意思 孩子们 稍后再谈?
Sorry, boys, just all talked out, you know?
好些了吗?
Better?
是的 毫无疑问要好多了
It was. Unquestionably better.
接下来呢?
What’s next?
外交政策
Foreign policy.
太好了 俄♥国♥ 中国 强权之类的东西
Great. Russia, China, the big power stuff.
那又怎样?
Yeah, so?
如果谈越南问题他都能赢得这么漂亮
So if he beats him up like that on Vietnam,
想像他谈论自己真正成就的时候会怎样
imagine what he’s gonna do with his real achievements.
(RESTON LAUGHS)
不会很好看的
It ain’t gonna be pretty.
回答的胶片有六英寸长 (约15.2厘米)
The answer was grow by six inches.
难受得让人看不下去
It was agony to watch.
于是 赫鲁晓夫在那时给我打了电♥话♥ 求我插手
Now, that’s when Khrushchev called me, begging me to intervene.
你瞧 他和毛(泽东)合不来
You see, he and Mao didn’t get along,
而且赫鲁晓夫知道主席
and Khrushchev knew that the Chairman
会和我谈 别无他人
would talk to me, no one else.
你瞧 毛唯一相信的人是我 私下里 男人与男人之间
You see, I was the only one that Mao would trust personally, man-to-man.
一旦戴维设法要对他发难
When David tried to lay a finger on him,
尼克松就会将他的提问化为无形
Nixon made mincemeat out of him.
什么”革命” 戴维?
ZELNICK: What “revolution,” David?
你就让理查德·尼克松声称
You just let Richard Nixon claim
国家处于革命状态?
the country was in a state of revolution?
什么让抗♥议♥者”轰炸” 和 “袭击”警♥察♥?
What, with protestors “bombing” and “assaulting” police officers?
我记得的可不是那样
That’s not how I remember it.
我记得的是人们和平合法的抗♥议♥
What I remember is people protesting peacefully and legitimately
越南战争!
against the Vietnam War!
– 我记得的就是那样 – 停止放音乐 请关掉
That’s what I remember. Music off, please. Off.
到最后 监听学生 强行闯入记者家中
By the end, wiretapping students and breaking into journalists’ homes
开始听起来像是合理的反应
was beginning to sound like a rational response.
嗯 我很遗憾你那么觉得
Well, I’m sorry you feel this way,
但我就是不能和你观点一样
but I simply cannot share your view.
具体是什么观点?
About what exactly?
每一个观点 坦白说!
About any of it, frankly!
我觉得今天取得了重大成效
I thought today was a huge improvement.
你傻了吧你?
Are you nuts?
让我告诉你今天事情多糟
Let me tell you how bad things were today.
拍摄结束之后 我听到两位工作人员说
After the taping finished, I overheard two members of the crew say
有机会投票时 他们没有选他
they never voted for him when they had the chance,
但如果今天他要再度竞选总统 他们一定会支持
but if he ran for office again today, he’d get their support.
你让他看起来像总统 看在老天份上!
You’re making him look presidential, for Christ’s sake!
而且忘了细枝末节的事吧 戴维
And forget about the trivia, David.
谁在乎尼克松出访欧洲
Who cares whether Nixon took the White House bed to Europe
– 是否带上了白宫的床? – 我在乎!
when he traveled? I do!
可那毫无关系!
Well, it’s irrelevant!
而且那不过是些陈年轶事 会分散了一个脱口…
And it’s just the sort of banal anecdote that would distract a talk…
一个什么?
A what?
接着说啊 别啊 说出来

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!