基于真实事件
门罗县 阿♥拉♥巴马州
好了 开始切块装车吧
All right, let’s chop and load.
晚上好 警官
Good evening, Officer.
你们要看我的驾照吗
Y’all need my license or anything, huh?
不 没必要
No, that’s not necessary.
你的卡车看起来很炫酷
That’s a sharp-looking truck you got.
是的 先生 谢谢您
Yes, sir. Thank you.
轮毂看起来要不少钱
Those rims look like they cost you a pretty penny.
你的老板是谁
Who you been working for?
不 先生 我不为别人工作
Oh, no, sir. I don’t work for nobody.
我有自己的制浆生意
Got my own pulping business.
我把这附近的树都清理干净了
You know, I clear out all these trees around here.
所以 你不用向老板报告 是吗
So, you ain’t got no boss to check in with, huh?
那一定很不错
That must be pretty nice.
可以在路上跑来跑去
Free to run up and down the road,
无论你什么时候想去哪里
wherever you want to, whenever you want to,
开着这辆豪华卡车都可以去
in this fancy truck.
如果我妻子不同意也不行
Hey, well, not if my wife got something to say about it.
是啊
Yeah.
但我听说之前她也没能阻拦你
I heard that ain’t stopped you before, though.
对吧 约翰尼·D
Ain’t that right, Johnny D.?
你想休息一下吗
You want to make a break for it? Hmm?
不 先生 我不想做任何事
No, sir, I don’t wanna do nothing…
因为在你休息完之后
‘Cause after what you done,
就没有任何借口逃脱这一切
I’m looking for any excuse to get this over with
就在这里 就现在
right here, right now.
先生 我什么都没做
Sir, I ain’t did nothing,
我觉得你们找错人了
and I think y’all got the wrong person here.
你们把我
Y’all got me confused
和某个人搞混了 我想
with somebody. And I think…
我没把你和任何人搞混
I ain’t got you confused with nobody.
我跟这事没关系
I don’t have a thing to do with this.
先生 你把我和某人搞混了
Sir, you got me confused with somebody.
我没做错什么
I ain’t did nothing wrong.
我们都知道蒙罗维尔
We all know Monroeville
是个宁静的小镇
as the peaceful town
哈珀·李在此写下了
where Harper Lee wrote
《杀死一只知更鸟》
To Kill a Mockingbird.
去年 一场残酷的犯罪打破了宁静
Last year, that peace was shattered by a brutal crime.
在11月1日
On the 1st of November,
18岁的隆达·莫里森
18-year-old Ronda Morrison
被发现死于杰克逊洗衣店
was found dead at Jackson Cleaners.
莫里森被勒住并枪击
Morrison had been strangled and shot
凶手是沃尔特·麦克米利安
by Walter McMillian,
当地人称约翰尼·D
known locally as Johnny D.
麦克米利安被陪审团定罪
McMillian was convicted by a jury
被判无期徒刑
who recommended a life sentence.
但如今
But today,
法官罗伯特·E·李·基
Judge Robert E. Lee Key
推♥翻♥了陪审团的决定
overrode their decision
判处麦克米利安死刑
and sentenced McMillian to death.
蒙罗维尔治安官
Tom 泰特
我们向社区保证过
We promised the community
我们会找到他 我们找到了
that we would find him, and we did.
你在我镇上犯了这样的罪
You commit a crime like this in my town,
不管怎样 你都要付出代价
one way or another, you’re gonna pay for it.
如今麦克米利安在等待处决
As McMillian awaits execution
被关押在霍尔曼惩教所
at Holman Correctional Facility,
悲伤的社会在知道这些后
a grieving community can take some solace
可以得到些许安慰
in knowing that, today,
正义终于得到了伸张
justice has finally been served.
谢谢您
Thank you.
杰克逊 佐治亚州
你有一个小时
You got one hour.
你好戴维斯先生 我是布赖恩
Hi, Mr. Davis. I’m Bryan.
叫我亨利
Henry.
南方囚犯辩护委员会
The Southern Prisoners Defense Committee,
他们派我来告诉你
they sent me here to tell you that,
他们还没为你找到律师
that they don’t have a lawyer for you yet,
但他们希望能尽快找到
but they hope to soon.
你不是律师吗
You’re not a lawyer?
不 我还在上学
No. I’m still in school.
只是夏天在这里实习
Just interning here for the summer.
所以关于我的案子你没什么能说的吗
So, you can’t tell me nothing about my case?
我本该告诉你
I mean, I was supposed to tell you
你在明年之前
that you’re not at risk of execution
都没有被处决的危险
any time within the next year.
你能再说一遍吗
Can you say that again?
你明年前的任何时候
That you’re not at risk of execution any time
都不会有被处决的危险
within the next year?
这是我很久以来听到的最好的消息
That’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time.
如果我马上就要被处决
I didn’t want my wife or kids
我不想让我的妻子或孩子看到我
showing up if I had an execution date coming.
现在他们可以来了
Now they can come visit.
谢谢您
Thank you.
真的
Serious.
我妈妈♥逼♥我加入我们教堂的唱诗班
My mom made me join our church choir
我那时大概四岁
when I was, like, four.
我高中一直唱男中音
I sang lead baritone all through high school.
我从小在教堂弹钢琴
I played piano at my church growing up.
非洲卫理公会吗
AME?
上帝是善良的
God is good…
一直都是
…all the time.
一直都是
All the time.
两个AME唱诗班的男孩在死囚区聊天
A couple AME Choir boys hanging on death row.
我妈妈知道会疯的
My mom would go trip.
伙计 太疯狂了
Man, that’s crazy.
你在哪所学校
What school are you going to?
我在哈佛
I’m at Harvard.
真的吗 你要去哈佛吗
Seriously? You’re going to Harvard?
那是白人男孩的世界 兄弟
That’s white-boy status, bro.
你来这贫民窟干什么
What the hell are you doing slumming it up in here for?
我上法学院是因为我只是想帮助别人
I’m in law school because I just wanted to help people.
只是还没找到最好的办法
Just haven’t figured out the best way to do that yet.
说实话 这次实习
Honestly, this internship
是目前为止最好的经历
has been the best experience so far.
在死囚区工作是你最好的经历吗
Working on death row has been your best experience?
你得多出去看看 兄弟
You need to get out more, bro.
两小时前就该结束了
Should’ve been done two hours ago.
对不起我没意识到 本该看着时间的
I’m sorry, I didn’t realize. Supposed to watch the clock.
先生
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, hey. Sir!
冷静点 他什么都没做
Calm down, he didn’t do anything!
你得闭嘴
You need to shut your mouth.
没事的 布赖恩
It’s okay, Bryan.
别担心我 你回去吧
Don’t worry about me. You just come back.
♪ 我在向上的道路 ♪
♪ I’m pressing on ♪
♪ 努力前行 ♪
♪ The upward way ♪
♪ 我每天都在攀登新的高峰 ♪
♪ New heights I’m gaining every day ♪
♪ 仍在祈祷 ♪
♪ Still praying as ♪
♪ 我要继续前进 ♪
♪ I’m onward bound ♪
♪ 主啊 请将我的足迹 ♪
♪ “Lord, plant my feet ♪
♪ 印在更高的地方 ♪
♪ On higher ground” ♪
正义的慈悲
两年后
苏塞克斯郡 特拉华州
妈妈还在生你的气吗
Mom still mad at you?
为什么生气
For what?
我不知道
I don’t know.
也许是因为拒绝了所有的工作邀请
Maybe for rejecting all those job offers
这样你就可以在阿♥拉♥巴马穷困潦倒了
so you can be poor in Alabama.
豪伊给她讲了
And Howie telling her
莫比尔的私刑 简直在帮倒忙
about that lynching in Mobile didn’t help.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!