威廉·莎士比亚
李尔王
我以为国王对奥本尼
I thought the King had more affected
比对康华尔更宠爱些
the Duke of Albany than Cornwall.
我们也一直这么认为
It always seemed so to us,
可是这次国土划分之际
but now, in the division of the kingdom,
倒看不出他更偏爱哪位公爵了
it appears not which of the dukes he values most.
这不是你儿子吗 大人
Is not this your son, my lord?
他确实是我生的
His breeding, sir, hath been at my charge.
我常常羞于承认他
I have so often blushed to acknowledge him
但现在我却恬不知惭了
that now I am brazed to it.
我不明白你的意思
I cannot conceive you.
先生 这孩子的母亲明白
Sir, this young fellow’s mother could.
因为她没嫁人的时候
Whereupon she grew round-wombed, and had, indeed, sir,
就肚子大了并生下了儿子
a son for her cradle ere she had a husband for her bed.
你觉得这样对吗
Do you smell a fault?
生的儿子这么好 我倒不能说这是错了
I cannot wish the fault undone, the issue of it being so proper.
但我有个嫡出的儿子 先生
But I have a son, sir, by order of law,
但我却不喜欢他
who yet is no dearer in my account.
虽然没等我的召唤
Though this knave came
这孩子就鲁莽地来到这个世界
something saucily to the world before he was sent for,
但他母亲是个美人
yet was his mother fair,
生他之前 我着实享受了一番
there was good sport at his making.
因此这私生子我不得不承认
And the whoreson must be acknowledged.
这位贵人你认识吗 爱德蒙
Do you know this noble gentleman, Edmund?
不认识 父亲
No, my lord.
肯特伯爵 记住他是我的挚友
My lord of Kent, remember him hereafter as my honourable friend.
愿为您效劳
My services to your lordship.
我喜欢你 希望以后多了解
I must love you, and sue to know you better.
大人 我努力不辜负你的垂爱
Sir, I shall study deserving.
他在国外待了九年 并且还要再去呢
He has been out nine years, and away he shall again.
国王来了
The King is coming.
有请法兰西国王和勃艮第公爵 葛罗斯特
Attend the lords of France and Burgundy, Gloucester.
遵命 陛下
I shall, my lord.
现在 我要把心里的想法说一下
Meantime, we shall express our darker purpose.
把地图拿上来
Give me the map there.
你们知道我已将国土一分为三
Know that we have divided in three our kingdom.
我岁数大了 决意摆脱一切公务
And ’tis our fast intent to shake all cares and business from our age,
将责任交给年轻人
conferring them on younger strengths,
我也好从容迈向死亡
while we unburdened crawl toward death.
康华尔
Our son of Cornwall,
还有你奥本尼 我两位贤婿
and you, our no less loving son of Albany,
我决定现在
we have this hour a constant will
将女儿们的嫁妆分好
to publish our daughters’ several dowers,
免得将来发生争执
that future strife may be prevented now.
法兰西和勃艮第两位亲王
The two great princes, France and Burgundy,
争着要获得我小女儿的爱意
great rivals in our youngest daughter’s love,
到宫里求婚也有些时候了
long in our court have made their amorous sojourn,
现在该作出决定了
and here are to be answered.
告诉我 女儿们
Tell me, my daughters,
我现在要放弃统治
since now we will divest us both of rule,
领土 以及国事重任
interest of territory, cares of state.
你们当中谁最爱我
Which of you shall we say doth love us most,
谁的爱意最笃定
that we our largest bounty may extend
我便给予最多的赏赐
where nature doth with merit challenge?
高纳里尔 我的大女儿 你先说
Goneril, our eldest-born, speak first.
父王 我对您的爱意 可不是言语能表达
Sir, I do love you more than word can wield the matter,
我爱您胜过这双眼睛 全世界 甚至自♥由♥
dearer than eyesight, space and liberty,
比一切的贵重稀有之物都珍贵
beyond what can be valued, rich or rare,
比拥有美健尊荣的生命更加可贵
no less than life, with grace, health, beauty, honour!
尽人子所能爱的 人父所能享受的一般多
As much as child e’er loved, or father found,
我的爱让言辞都显得薄弱无力
a love that makes breath poor and speech unable,
我爱您胜于上述的一切
beyond all manner of so much I love you.
在这些疆界之内
Of all these bounds,
由这边到那边
even from this line to this,
成荫的森林 肥沃的原野
with shadowy forests and with champaigns riched,
丰富的河流 广阔的牧场
with plenteous rivers and wide-skirted meads,
都奉你为女主人
we make thee lady.
由你和奥本尼的后裔
To thine and Albany’s issues
永远继承
be this perpetual.
我的二女儿呢
What says our second daughter,
最亲爱的芮根 康华尔的妻子 你说吧
our dearest Regan, wife to Cornwall? Speak.
父亲 我和姐姐是一样的
Sir, I am made of that self mettle as my sister,
您凭她就能判断我
and prize me at her worth.
她已将我内心的爱意形容得十分确切
In my true heart I find she names my very deed of love,
只是还不充分
only… she comes too short,
最敏锐的感官所能感受到的快乐
that I profess myself an enemy to all other joys
我都一概加以敌视
which the most precious square of sense possesses,
我只有在您的宠爱中
and find I am alone felicitate
感到幸福
in your dear highness’ love.
我美丽的国土中
To thee and thine hereditary ever
有广阔的三分之一是永远属于你的
remain this ample third of our fair kingdom,
同样广阔 同样富庶美好
no less in space, validity and pleasure
不亚于高纳里尔的土地
than that conferred on Goneril.
现在 我的宝贝
But now, our joy,
最后一位 也是最年幼的
although the last and least,
法兰西的葡萄和勃艮第的牛奶
to whose young love the vines of France and the milk of Burgundy
都在争夺你的爱情
strive to be interessed,
你有什么要说的
What can you say
可以赢得比你姐姐们更丰饶的领土
to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?
说吧
Speak.
我无话可说 父王
Nothing, my lord.
没有
Nothing?
没有
Nothing.
怎会这样 无话可说也没有赏赐
How? Nothing will come of nothing.
重说
Speak again.
很可惜 我无法把真心话说出口
Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my mouth.
我爱您
I love your majesty
基于为人子女的义务 不多不少
according to my bond, no more, no less.
怎么回事 科迪莉亚
How? How, Cordelia?
注意你的言辞
Mend your speech a little,
不然你就得不到财产
lest you may mar your fortunes.
好的 父王
Good, my lord,
您生我 养我 爱我
You have begot me, bred me, loved me.
我也理所应当尽义务回报
I return those duties back as are right fit,
服从您 爱护您 尊敬您
obey you, love you and most honour you.
既然姐姐们说只爱您一个
Why have my sisters’ husbands,
她们为何要嫁人呢
if they say they love you all?
我出嫁之时
Happily when I shall wed,
和我盟誓恩爱的丈夫
that lord whose hand must take my plight
就要分去我一半的爱意 一半的眷恋与义务
shall carry half my love with him, half my care and duty.
假如我只爱父亲一人
Sure, I shall never marry like my sisters
我就不会像姐姐那样嫁人了
to love my father all.
你这都是真心话
But goes thy heart with this?
是的 父王
Ay, my good lord.
年纪这么小就这么狠心
So young and so untender?
我是年纪小 但很真实
So young, my lord, and true.
既然如此
Well, let it be so.
就让真实做你的嫁妆吧
Thy truth then be thy dower,
凭着太阳神圣的光辉
for by the sacred radiance of the sun,
司夜和冥界女神的奥秘
the mysteries of Hecate and the night,
凭着主宰人类生死的
by all the operation of the orbs
星球的运行
from whom we do exist and cease to be,
我发誓从此断绝对你的父爱
here I disclaim all my paternal care,
亲情和血缘关系
propinquity and property of blood,
从此你对我来说
and as a stranger to my heart and me
永远都是陌生人
hold thee from this for ever.
陛下
Good, my liege…
闭嘴 肯特
Peace, Kent!
不要去碰怒龙的逆鳞
Come not between the dragon and his wrath!
我本最爱她 想靠她颐养天年
I loved her most, and thought to set my rest on her kind nursery.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!