The thing you got so right in your script…
他小时候是多么孤独啊
was how lonely he’d been as a boy.
我妈妈听说
When my own mother heard
他是美国最有钱的人后
he was one of the richest men in America,
她说 “把腿再抬高点”
she said, “Kick a little higher.”
他对我一直非常好
He has always been so kind to me.
我爱这个老家伙 曼克
I love the old guy, Mank.
也许以前我靠他养活的时候并不爱他
Maybe I didn’t always, back when he was my social security.
可是现在 我们在一起 有些事
But now, there are things about us together…
没人能够…
That no one could possibly…
我有没有说动你
Am I persuading you at all?
我希望 如果这部电影能拍出来
I hope, if this gets made,
你会原谅我
you’ll forgive me.
我也希望 如果这部电影没拍出来
And I hope, if it doesn’t,
你会原谅我
you’ll forgive me.
内景 圣殿 威尔榭大道 白天 1936年 闪回
他是个谦逊的男人
He was a modest man.
他的名字从来没有与
His name never appeared on the marquee
共事的著名影星 制片人
with the great stars, producers,
或者导演 一起出现在大银幕上
and directors who worked alongside him.
但他爱电影胜过一切
But he loved moving pictures more than he loved anything.
他在他制♥作♥的所有影片中
And he left his impeccable taste,
都融入了他无可挑剔的审美
his incredible attention to detail,
以及对细节的精益求精
on every frame he touched.
我们无从谈论他为何如此突然地离我们而去
It is not for us to say why he was taken from us so unexpectedly.
他只在人们心中留下了回忆
Behind, he leaves his memory.
关于一个伟大的男人 一个有才的男人
The memory of a great man, a talented man,
一个正直无瑕的男人的回忆
a man of unblemished integrity.
欧文·G·萨尔伯格
Irving G. Thalberg.
曼克
Mank.
自从杰克·吉尔伯特的葬礼后 我就没见过你
I haven’t seen you since, what was it, Jack Gilbert’s funeral.
自从谢利·梅特卡夫的葬礼后 我就没见过你
Well, I haven’t seen you since Shelly Metcalf’s.
有那么久吗
Has it been that long?
最近如何 曼克
How you been, Mank?
目前没有电影项目
Between pictures.
我以为你还在米高梅
I thought you were still at MGM.
我还在
I am.
来国际电影公♥司♥找我
Well, look, come see me at International.
我们一起拍点什么
Let’s work something out.
我的确去找你了
I did come see you.
你在谢利的葬礼后也邀请了我
You gave me the same invitation after Shelly’s funeral.
但我过不了你秘书的秘书那一关
I couldn’t get past your secretary’s secretary.
是吗
Is that right?
很高兴见到你 曼克
Good to see you, Mank.
-喂 -曼克
– Hello. – Mank?
请稍等
One moment, please.
曼克
Mank.
曼克
Mank!
是奥森
It’s Orson.
是奥森
It’s Orson.

Hello.
曼克 我刚看完你的初稿
Mank, I’ve just finished your first draft
我得说我很喜欢 也很佩服
and I must say I’m pleased and impressed.
是吗 真好
Are ya? Good news.
当然还需要修改
It’ll need work, of course.
但一起解决就没有问题
But there are no problems that can’t be solved together.
我很高兴知道这些
Well, I’m delighted to hear it.
豪斯曼会送去我的批注 好好想想
Houseman’s bringing my notes. Think about ’em.
同时 我会用打字机打一遍
Meantime, I’ll run everything through my typewriter.
非常感谢
Everything will thank you.
我想你和你的好莱坞伙伴还有联♥系♥
I understand you’re in touch with your Hollywood crowd?
豪斯曼又多嘴了
Good old Houseman.
所以你可能听说了
So perhaps you’ve heard.
没有连锁影院愿意放我们的片子
None of the theater chains will touch us.
看起来雷电华得控告他们贸易管制
It looks like RKO will have to sue for restraint of trade.
他们当然也会反告
They’ll countersue, of course.
如果你家的漂亮房♥子在你名下
If you own that lovely home of yours,
最好还是移到可怜的莎拉名下
it might be a good idea to put it in Poor Sara’s name.
你还在吗 曼克
You still there, Mank?
在 我还能去哪
Yes. Where else would I be?
我把最好的消息留到了最后
I’ve saved the best for last.
猜猜谁打电♥话♥提出买♥♥下雷电华的投资
Guess who phoned with an offer to buy out RKO’s investment
并且彻底终止制♥作♥这部电影
and shelve the picture permanently?
-不是赫斯特吧 -曼克 我很惊讶
– Not Hearst? – Mank, I’m surprised.
奥赛罗有了伊阿古还会窥探苔丝狄蒙娜吗
Would Othello snoop on Desdemona when he has Iago?
是梅耶 雷电华怎么说
Mayer. What did RKO say?
暂时拒绝了
No dice, for now,
但他们正处于困境 他们能否…
but they’re on their uppers. Whether they…
你最好赶过去
You’d better drive up.
我计划要去 等我先…
I plan to, just as soon as I’m done…
最好今天就去
Today, if possible.
天呐 我说了什么不该说的吗
Dear Jove, did I say something I shouldn’t have?
我希望你没丧失胆魄
I hope you haven’t lost your nerve.
我就只剩下胆魄了
Nerve’s about all I’ve got left.
内景 圣西蒙餐厅 夜晚 1937年 闪回
你今年磨难真多 路易
What a year you’ve had, Louis.
你怎么熬过来的
How have you weathered it?
尽管磨难多多 我很高兴的是
Despite everything, the MGM ship,
米高梅正全速前进
I’m happy to say, is full steam ahead.
我们近期要推出的新片
We’re on track with this recent slate
会让今年成为历年来最成功的
for our most successful year ever.
那真是好消息
Well, that’s great news.
你想去躺一会儿吗
Would you like to go lay down?
我想我还是站着吧
I think I’d rather stay upright.
或许我们能为你找一套戏服
Perhaps we can find you a costume.
我为什么要穿…
Well, why would I need a cos…
大家好
Hello, everyone.
迟到总比不来好
Better late than never.
曼克 莎拉呢
Mank! Where’s Sara?
在照顾曼凯维奇家的小家伙
Caring for clan Mankiewicz.
你这是磕了什么[搭了哪班车]And what train did you take?
格兰岱尔 我下错站了
Glendale. I missed my stop.
从莫罗湾搭了出租车
Got a taxi from Morro Bay.
我有点困惑
I’m confused.
我以为邀请函要求穿马戏服
I thought the invitation called for circus attire,
而不是跳蚤马戏
not flea circus.
我被一个卖♥♥吸尘器的男人拦住了
I was cornered by a man who sold vacuum cleaners.
-知道什么是吸尘器的请举手 -先生
– A show of hands, who knows what a vacuum cleaner is? – Sir.
马丁 你能为曼凯维奇先生找一个
Martin, would you set a place for Mr. Mankiewicz,
可以呼吸到新鲜空气的位子吗
somewhere where he might get some air?
请跟我来 先生
Would you follow me this way, sir?
给他准备点咖啡
And offer him some coffee.
“猴子”维奇先生需要喝点咖啡
Yeah. Mr. Monkeywitz could use some coffee.
玛丽·安托瓦内特怎么一起来了
And how’s Marie Antoinette coming together?
试映时普通观众的反响不太好
Previews have been a struggle for general audiences.
我们做了些修剪 但我本该料到的
We made some trims, but I should’ve known.
凡尔赛 那些戏服和假发
Versailles, all those costumes and wigs.
面对现在的观众
You can’t tell those stories
必须大改才能讲那个时代的故事
without overhauling them for a modern audience.
你的女主角演得怎么样
How’s the performance of your leading lady?
这部电影就靠她了
The picture depends upon her.
诺玛全心全意地投入
Norma put her heart and soul into it.
我应该坚持让她好好休息的
I should’ve insisted she take some time.
那样的打击很难承受
It’s a lot to deal with, a loss like that.
要是让玛丽安演 就能演出特色
Marion would’ve made it her own.
要是让玛丽安演 就能演得完美
Marion would’ve been perfection.
玛丽安·安托瓦内特
Marion Antoinette.
但那是欧文的电影
But it was Irving’s picture.
木偶玛丽安
Marionette.
我没兴趣教育我们的观众
I’m not interested in educating our customers.
你想传达信息 去找西联电报
You want to send a message? Call Western Union.
所谓的文艺电影
Literary pictures.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!