不过我们得叫他曼克
but we have to call him Mank.
曼凯维奇
Mankiewicz?
赫尔曼·曼凯维奇 纽约剧作家及剧评家
Herman Mankiewicz, New York playwright and drama critic?
转行做卑微的电影编剧了 赫斯特先生
Turned humble screenwriter, Mr. Hearst.
为什么 没必要谦卑 曼凯维奇先生
Why, no need to be humble, Mr. Mankiewicz.
有声电影才是未来
Pictures that talk are the future.
他们会需要尊重文字的人来赋予他们声音
They’re gonna need people who honor words, give them voice.
黄金时代很快会到来 而世界将成为一个大舞台
There’s a golden age coming when all the world will be a stage,
而你也许就是他们的莎士比亚
and you, perhaps, their Shakespeare.
我可没想到
Oh, I wouldn’t have thought
你会对尊重文字有这种热忱
you’d be that keenly interested in the honoring of words.
有什么好笑的
What’s so funny?
我只是很吃惊 像你这样受吹捧的爆料人
I’m just surprised that a vaunted muckraker like yourself
会如此看好好莱坞的未来
sees Hollywood’s future as such a shiny penny.
回到一号♥位
Back to one.
时代在变化 曼凯维奇先生
Times are changing, Mr. Mankiewicz,
我不只是指这次大萧条
and I’m not just referring to this Depression.
-大萧条可太糟了 -等一切结束
– All that bother. – And when all this is over,
电影从业者将服务于这种新兴娱乐产业
picture-makers are gonna have to service this new entertainment.
我希望有真正懂文学的人来帮我拍电影
I intend to make pictures with the help of real literary minds.
我支持这点
I support that.
然而 大部分制片厂在拍什么
Instead, what do most studios give us?
黑帮片 滑稽片
Gangster flicks, zanies.
太对了
Too true.
而美国人一辈子能见着几个黑帮分子
Now, how many gangsters do Americans meet in a lifetime?
有几个家庭能比得上马♥克♥思♥兄弟
How many families are like the Marx Brothers?
你是说除了我自己家吗
You mean besides my own?
有意思 安排他坐我旁边
Very good. Have him seated next to me.
戴维斯小姐 赫斯特先生想让曼凯维奇先生
Miss Davies, Mr. Hearst would like Mr. Mankiewicz seated
坐在他左边一起用晚餐
to his left at dinner.
老爹喜欢你
Oh, Pops likes you.
线圈式护眼笔记本
为什么豪斯曼修改后
Why is it when Houseman edits,
人人说话都像个便秘的牛津教书匠
everyone ends up speaking like a constipated Oxford don?
你好
Hello?
他在 不会
Yes, he is. No, not at all.
请稍等 是可怜的莎…
Please hold on. It’s Poor Sa…
抱歉 是你妻子
I’m sorry. It’s your wife.
-施努兹 -我可听到了
– Schnutz. – I heard that.
赫曼 乔在过去三天打了四次电♥话♥
Hermie, Joe called four times in the last three days.
-他想要你在那边的号♥码 -那就给他啊
– He wants your number up there. – So give it to him.
消停点
Knock it off!
孩子们在重新装♥修♥
The boys are remodeling.
他好像有些担心 你没事吧
He seemed concerned about something. Is everything okay?
我简直一帆风顺
If I could swim, I’d be doing swimmingly.
别管乔
And don’t mind Joe.
他内心就是个烦人的老妈子
He’s a worrisome old woman in disguise.
他想给你份活儿干
Well, he wants to offer you work.
小乔给我找活儿干
Baby Joe offering me?
要是他再打电♥话♥ 就给他这个号♥码 施努兹
Well, if he calls again, give him this number, Schnutz.
我得挂了 帮我亲亲孩子们
I’ve gotta run. Kiss the offspring.
是不是…
I say…
英勇的上尉寄来的信呀
A letter from the gallant “leftenant”?
但愿不像上一封那样狗屁不通
Now, let’s hope it makes more sense than the last.
战斗机从航母的甲板上起飞
Fighters off the decks of aircraft carriers.
-这主意究竟是谁想出来的 -不好吗
– Whoever had that idea? – It’s not good?
还”不好”
Not good?
德国的潜艇开始成群结队地出击
German U-boats are starting to hunt in packs,
而斯图卡式俯冲轰炸机
and a Stuka dive-bomber can drop one
能从150米的空中投弹
down your stack from 500 feet.
我们英勇的小伙子有什么要说的…
What’s our valiant laddie have to say for the cause…
不是她丈夫寄的
It’s not from her husband.
他的军舰在挪威附近被击沉了
His ship’s been sunk off Norway.
推断在海上失踪了
Presumed lost at sea.
总是管不住嘴抖机灵
Always the smartest guy in the room.
当然 你说得对
You’re right, of course.
航母确实是个糟糕透顶的主意
Aircraft carriers are a shitty idea,
但我不喜欢这种冷酷无情
but I don’t appreciate the callousness.
我还以为你是个体面人
I expect more of you.
“推断”说明他们还没确定
“Presumed” means they don’t know,
所以我选择相信他依然活着 直到…
so I choose to believe he’s alive until…
曼克
Mank.
曼克
Mank!
曼凯维奇先生
Mr. Mankiewicz?
他没事 就是睡着了
He’s all right. Just sleeping.
好吧…
Well…
我并不惊奇
I shouldn’t wonder.
一小瓶里的安♥眠♥药♥
There’s enough Seconal in those little bottles
就足够撂倒一头发♥情♥的公象
to bring down a bull elephant in heat.
年轻的奥森不想冒险
Young Orson doesn’t believe in chance.
豪斯曼 你够狡猾的 你给我下了药
Houseman, you sly thing. You slipped me a Mickey.
没错
So we did.
你还在恢复初期 怎么就馋酒了
How you managed to reach it so early in your rehabilitation,
我无法想象
I cannot imagine.
怎么样 母乳一样好喝吗
How was it? Mother’s milk?
总之好过什么都没有 我打算拿它当睡前酒
On balance, better than nothing. I plan to use it as a nightcap.
就像你们美♥国♥佬♥说的 “他倒头就睡着了”
As you Yanks say, “He went out like a light.”
我都无法形容得这么贴切 亚夫人
I couldn’t have put it better myself, Mrs. A,
可能正因如此我才给电影写剧本
which may be why I write for the movies.
你别说了
Will you stop?
你给电影写剧本是因为你擅长
You write for the movies because you’re super at it.
二位失陪了 我有好多字要打
Excuse me, you two, I’ve masses of typing to do.
76页
Seventy-six pages.
等她辨识清楚你那像鸡爪写的一样的字
By the time she translates your red chicken scratches,
就剩下不到40页
it’ll be less than 40.
按这个速度下去 你永远都写不完
At this rate, you’ll never finish.
我想知道你觉得怎么样
What I wanna know is what you think of it.
你写的当然是一流的 这你知道
Of course, the writing is first-rate, but you know that.
他对权力的渴望
His lust for power,
还有你巧妙地通过那些害怕他阴暗面的人
your exquisite evocation of his hunger for love
来描写他对爱的渴望 但是…
from those who fear his worst side, but…
那个可怕但可预见的”但是”
The dreaded yet foreseeable “but.”
你对电影观众的要求太高了
You’re asking a lot of a motion picture audience.
总的来说有点混乱
All in all, it’s a bit of a jumble.
你说”混乱”还是”丛林”
Did you say “jumble” or “jungle”?
各种话唠的情节大杂烩
A hodgepodge of talky episodes.
在时间线上跳来跳去的一堆碎片
A collection of fragments that leap around in time,
像墨西哥跳豆一样
like Mexican jumping beans.
欢迎来到我的脑内世界 老兄
Welcome to my mind, Old Sock.
故事太散了 恐怕观众需要地图才能看懂
The story is so scattered, I’m afraid one will need a road map.
你是说它一团糟
You mean it’s a mess.
你能不能简化一下
Would you consider simplifying?
帕斯卡曾经说过
As Pascal once said,
“我要是时间更充裕
“If only I’d had more time,
就会写一封更短的信”
I would have written a shorter letter.”
我只想说 没人能那样写
All I am saying is no one can write like that.
但我就能 豪斯曼 我已经那样写了
But I can write like that, Houseman. I have.
叙事就是一个大圆圈 像一个肉桂卷
The narrative is one big circle, like a cinnamon roll,
而不是一条直指最近出口的直线
not a straight line pointing to the nearest exit.
一个人的一生在两小时内是刻画不完的
You cannot capture a man’s entire life in two hours.
你只能寄希望于留个大概印象
All you can hope is to leave the impression of one.
但没人想看莎士比亚式的作品
But nobody expects Shakespeare.
观众花辛苦挣来的25分钱 不是为了看《麦克白》
People aren’t spending their hard-earned 25 cents to see Macbeth.
那个长着一张狗脸的大♥师♥就拍了《麦克白》
Maestro the Dog-Faced Boy did Macbeth.
奥森·威尔斯拍了全黑人版的《麦克白》
将原本的苏格兰背景换成后革命时期的海地小岛
剧中增添巫毒祭祀中的唱跳击鼓
是”巫毒麦克白” 别被骗了 他就爱出风头
Voodoo Macbeth. Don’t be fooled. He’s a showman.
一个耍把戏自我陶醉的街头艺人
Busker reveling in sleight of hand.
别自找麻烦 60天之内写完
Save yourself the trouble, be done in 60 days.
他会看懂的 观众也会
He’ll get this, and the audience will too.
别担心了 吃点腌黄瓜
Stop worrying. Have a pickle.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!