他已经变了
he had changed.
他对我情意绵绵 不过…
He was full of smiles and caresses, but…
我马上看出他不是真心的
I knew at once that he was insincere.
我知道他对我只是…
I saw that I had been…
逢场作戏
an amusement for him.
如此而已
Nothing more.
在我们重聚五分钟之内 我就明白了
I saw all this within five minutes of our meeting.
然而我还是留下来
Yet I stayed.
我吃了送来的晚餐
I ate the supper that was served.
我喝了酒 但我没有醉
I drank the wine. It did not intoxicate me.
我想酒让我看得更加清楚
I think it made me see more clearly.
这…有可能吗
Is– Is that possible?
有可能
No doubt.
他很快就显露出对我真正的意图…
Soon he no longer bothered to hide the real nature of his intentions towards me.
我也不能假装是意外
Nor could I pretend surprise.
从我选择留下来那刻 我就是不清白的了
My innocence was false from the moment I chose to stay.
我可以说是他强迫我…
I could tell you that he overpowered me…
或者是他对我下药
or that he drugged me.
不过…
But…
事实不是那样
it is not so.
我献身给他
I gave myself to him.
我这么做 从此我就不再一样了…
I did it so that I should never be the same again…
从此我就被俗世遗弃了
so that I should be seen for the outcast I am.
我知道我无法再嫁给地位相同的人
I knew it was ordained that I should never marry an equal…
因此… 我嫁给了耻辱
so… I married shame.
是耻辱让我继续活下去
It is my shame that has kept me alive…
我知道我和其他女人不一样了
my knowing that I am truly not like other women.
我无法像她们一样 有丈夫
I– I shall never, like them, have children, a husband…
儿女和天伦之乐
and the pleasures of a home.
有时我同情她们
Sometimes I pity them.
我有一种她们无法理解的自♥由♥
I have a freedom they cannot understand.
侮辱和责备都动不了我一根毫毛
No insult, no blame can touch me.
我已经让自己脱离常规了
I have set myself beyond the pale.
我什么都不是
I am nothing.
我几乎不再是人
I am hardly human anymore.
我只是法国中尉的娼妓
I am the French lieutenant’s whore.
你必须离开莱姆
You must leave Lyme.

Oh!
我们不该再单独见面
We must never meet alone again.
走吧
Go.
我会等你离开
I will wait.
怎么了
What’s the matter?
怎么了 你看起来很悲伤 – 没有
What’s the matter? You look sad. – No.
没有
No.
你为何悲伤
Why are you sad?
我不是悲伤
I’m not.
走开 小女孩
Out of my way, little girl.
早安 菲尔利夫人
Good morning, Mrs. Fairley.
跟往常一样
My usual.
天气很好 – 是的
Gonna be a nice day, then? – Yes.
伍德拉夫小姐
Miss Woodruff?
伍德拉夫小姐
Miss Woodruff!
伍德拉夫小姐 普特尼夫人要见你
Miss Woodruff, Mrs. Poulteney wants to see you!
普特尼夫人要马上见你
Mrs. Poulteney wants to see you at once!
我在安德克立夫崖的谷仓 我恳求你来见我最后一面
My barn at Undercliffe I beg you to come and see me one last time.
什么事
Yes?
抱歉 我要找哥根医生 – 哥根医生不在家
Forgive me. I must speak to Dr. Grogan. – Dr. Grogan is not here.
不在家吗 – 他被叫去精神病院
Not here? – He has been called to the asylum.
他在精神病院
He’s at the asylum.
谢谢你
Thank you.
我是查尔斯史密森 我有急事要见哥根医生
My name’s Smithson. I need to see Dr. Grogan on a matter of the utmost importance.
请跟我来 先生
Follow me, please, sir.
史密森
Ah, Smithson.
我能猜到你为何而来
I can guess what you’ve come about.
抱歉我不在家
I’m sorry I wasn’t at home.
我要接生
I’m attending a breech birth.
事实上 我们不知道她去了哪里
The fact is, we don’t know where she is.
对不起 我不明白你的话
I’m sorry. I don’t understand what you’re saying.
你不知道什么事吗 – 不知道
You don’t know what’s happened? – No.
那你为什么来这里
Then why are you here?
我需要你的意见
I need your advice.
我不确定还能给你什么 伍德拉夫小姐失踪了
I’m not sure I have any left to give. Miss Woodruff has disappeared.
普特尼夫人辞退了她
Mrs. Poulteney dismissed her.
已经派出了一组搜索队
There’s a search party out.
我悬赏五英磅给能带她回来的人
I’ve offered £5 to the man who can bring her back…
或者是她的尸体
or find her body.
还好 她还活着
Well, she is alive.
我刚收到她的字条
I’ve just received a note from her.
我得进去了
I must go back.
你到我家等我
Go to my house. Wait for me.
今晚在这个房♥间里面的
Nothing that has been said in this room tonight…
所有谈话要完全保密
or that remains to be said will go beyond these walls.
你要我的意见
Now, you ask for my advice.
我是个聪明的年轻女子 曾经受过教育
I am a young woman of superior intelligence and some education.
我无法控制自己的情绪
I am not in full command of my emotions.
更糟的是 我眷恋做个命运的牺牲者
What is worse, I have fallen in love with being a victim of fate.
然后来了一位年轻男子
Enter a young god.
聪明 英俊
Intelligent, good-looking.
亲切
Kind.
我唯一的武器就是激起他的同情
My one weapon is the pity I inspire in him.
我怎么做呢 我抓住我的机会
So what do I do? I seize my chance.
有一天 我走过我不得踏足的地方…
One day, when I am walking where I have been forbidden to walk…
我故意让某个会报告我罪行的人看见
I show myself to someone I know will report my crime…
而去告诉我那位不会宽恕的雇主
to the one person who will not condone it– my employer.
然后我失踪 让人以为 我是要从
I then disappear under the strong presumption…
最近的悬崖顶端跳海自杀
that it is in order to throw myself from the nearest cliff top.
然后在濒死之际 我向我的救星哭喊求救
And then, in extremis, I cry to my savior for help.
你到底在说些什么
What in heaven’s name are you talking about?
我和普特尼夫人的女管家谈过
I’ve spoken with Mrs. Poulteney’s housekeeper.
她那时在安德克立夫崖的牛奶房♥
She was at the dairy on the Undercliff.
那位女子从她眼前走出树林 她想要被人看见
The girl walked out of the woods under her nose. It was deliberate.
可能是想危害你的名誉
She wanted to be seen, presumably to compromise you.
她为什么想伤害我
Why should she want to harm me?
听我说 我了解许多妓♥女♥
Listen to me. I have known many prostitutes–
我必须说明 我了解她们是因为我的职业
I hasten to add– in pursuance of my own profession, not theirs.
我希望我可以
And I wish I had a guinea for every one of them…
有能力来证明…
I’ve heard gloat over the fact…
她们的受害者都是丈夫和父亲
that the majority of their victims were husbands and fathers.
但她不是妓♥女♥
But she is not a prostitute.
她也不是…恶魔
Neither is she a… fiend.
亲爱的朋友 你爱上她了
My dear man, you are half in love with her.
我以最神圣的荣誉保证
On my most sacred honor…
我们之间没有不适当的关系
nothing improper has passed between us.
我相信你 但让我来问你
I believe you. But let me ask you this.
你想听到她吗
Do you wish to hear her?
你想见到她吗
Do you wish to see her?
你想触摸她吗
Do you wish to touch her?
你不是第一位怀疑新娘选择的男人
You’re not the first man to doubt his choice of a bride.
我会去见你的未婚妻 我会告诉她你被叫走了
I will go to see the lady. I will tell her you’ve been called away.
你必须离开此地 史密森
And you must go away, Smithson.
是的
Yes.
我会遵守誓言和费里曼小姐结婚
I shall honor my vows to Miss Freeman.
萨里斯柏利有一所私人精神病院
I know of a private asylum in Salisbury.
伍德拉夫小姐可以在那里接受治疗
Miss Woodruff would be kindly treated and helped, I assure you.
你愿意负担费用吗 – 是的
Would you bear the expense? – Yes.
我愿意负担费用
I would bear the expense.
伍德拉夫小姐
Miss Woodruff.
你在这里过夜吗
Have you passed the night here?
你觉得冷吗
Are you cold?
不 不
No. No.