他是个骗子 乔治
He’s a crook, George.
报纸上的宴会就是他举办的
Yes. Throws those parties the papers are always talking about.
没准就是他勾引的桃金娘
Maybe he was the one that was fooling around with Myrtle.
也许就是因为这他才杀了她
Maybe that’s why he killed her.
是啊 也许吧
Yeah, maybe.
像他这样的人 谁知道呢
Guy like that, who knows?
那也没必要杀了她
He didn’t have to kill her.
盖茨比
Gatsby.
这种人要遭天谴的
Something ought to be done about a fella like that.
他会遭报应的
He’ll pay.
血债血偿
Oh, he’ll pay.
懦夫
Coward.
连车都没停
He didn’t even stop his car.
你还要为他说话吗
You gonna defend him now?
我去叫辆出租 尼克
I’ll telephone for a taxi, Nick.
进来边吃晚饭边等吧
Why don’t you come inside and have some supper while you wait?
不 谢了 我在外面等
No, thanks. I’ll wait outside.
你什么毛病
What is the matter with you?
你不进来吗 尼克
Won’t you come in, Nick?
不了 谢谢
No, thanks.
这才九点半
It’s only half past 9.
不了 我受够了
No, I’ve had enough.
受够了你们所有人
Of everyone.
老伙计
Hello, old sport.
你干嘛呢
What are you doing?
在这儿坐坐
Just sitting here.
是 我看到了
Yes, I see that.
你在路上看见什么了吗
You see any trouble out on the road?
你撞的那个女人已经死了 杰
That woman you ran down is dead, Jay.
我猜也是
I thought so.
我对黛西也是这么说的
I told Daisy that I thought so.
黛西 你说的是什么啊
Daisy? Do you hear yourself?
你怎么能这样
How could you?
你怎么能这样做
How could you do that?
-小点儿声 -你怎么回事
– Keep your voice down. -What’s wrong with you?
你就是个懦夫
You’re nothing but a goddamn coward!
小点儿声
Keep your voice down!
别吵吵 当时没必要停车…
Please. There was no point in stop…
怎么没必要 那个女人怎么办
No point’? No point? What about that woman?
没必要 她当时就被撞死了
No point. She was killed instantly.
没错 都开膛破肚了
Yes, it ripped her open!
我去过那 看到她了
I was there! I saw her!
我明白 我明白是我的错
I understand! I understand! It was my fault.
是我的错
It was my fault.
那个女人朝我们直冲过来
This woman, she rushed out at us
好像想和我们说话
as if she was trying to speak to us.
一切发生的都太快了
It all happened so quickly.
-她… 我想扳过方向盘 -她
– She tried… I tried to turn in time… -“She”?
可是
but…
是黛西撞的人
It was Daisy.
离开纽约后 她精神非常紧张
You see, after we left New York, she was very nervous.
她觉得开车可以舒缓心情
She thought that driving would steady her.
而这个女人却向我们扑来
But this woman, she rushed out at us.
事情发生的太快了
It all happened so quickly.
这不是她的错 明白吗
It wasn’t her fault, do you see?
黛西开车的事绝不能有任何人知道
No one must know that Daisy was driving.
答应我
Promise me.
杰 你得回家休息休息
Jay, you should go home and get some rest.
我要在这儿等着
I’m going to wait here.
如果有必要 就等一整夜
I’m going to wait here all night if necessary.
别这样 这样不好
No, no, no. That’s not a good idea.
如果他敢因为下午的不愉快
If he tries to bother her
而找她麻烦
about that unpleasantness this afternoon,
如果他敢打搅她
If he tries to bother her,
如果他敢对她乱来的话…
If he tries any brutality on her whatsoever…
汤姆不会碰她的 他现在想的不是她
Tom won’t touch her. He’s not even thinking about her.
我不相信他
I don’t trust him.
-我信不过他 -好吧
– I don’t trust him. – All right.
好吧
All right.
你在这等着
You wait here.
我去看看有什么情况
I’ll see if there’s any commotion.
真的吗
Would you?
谢谢 老伙计
Thank you, old sport.
是她的错 是她自己跑到马路上的
Listen, she was in the wrong, running out on the road.
亲爱的 不用担心
Sweetheart, you have nothing to worry about.
交给我来处理
Let me take care of things.
让我来照顾你
Take care of you.
我去打几个电♥话♥
I’ll make some calls.
然后我们就离开
We’ll go away.
离开这城市
Just go away, get out of town.
你休息一下 别担心
Get some rest. Don’t worry.
没事的
It’ll be all right.
你好 老伙计
Oh. Hello, old sport.

Jay.
-一切都还好吧 -是的
– Everything all right? – Yes.
一切都还好
Everything’s just fine.
凌晨4点的时候 她来到窗前
Four o’clock, she… she came to the window.
就站在那
She stood there, then…
然后把灯关掉了
She turned out the light, so…
来帮帮忙 好吧 老伙计
Give me a hand, will you, old sport?
我本该告诉他我刚见到的 但是
I should have told him what I had just seen, but…
说出口的却是
All I could manage was:
杰 发生了这些事
You know, Jay, with everything that’s happened,
你应该离开
you ought to go away.
就今晚 他们会追踪你的车
Tonight. They’ll trace your car.
离开 不 现在我不能离开
Go away? No, I can’t leave now.
起码不是今晚
Not tonight.
杰 你知道死人了吗
Jay, do you understand that a woman has been killed?
黛西会在早上打给我
Daisy’s going to call in the morning.
之后我们计划一起离开
Then we’ll make plans to go away together.
-没错 -黛西她…
– Yeah. – Daisy, she…
她只是需要时间想清楚 赫佐格
She just needs time to think things through. Herzog.
我们有话要说 谢谢
We’re talking. Thank you.
她只是需要时间想想
She just needs time to think.
不 杰 黛西她…
No, Jay. With Daisy…
她只是需要时间想想 早上她会打来的
She just needs time to think. She’s going to call in the morning.
跟我一起等吧
Wait up with me.
太阳快要升起了
The sun’s almost up.
终于在那晚 他把一切都告诉了我
That was the night he finally told me the truth.
毫无保留
All of it.
我曾经觉得
You know, I’ve thought for a while,
我拥有很多 但其实我一无所有
I had a lot of things, but the truth is I’m empty.
我想这就是我要说谎的原因
I suppose that’s why I make things up about myself.
但很早以前我就想告诉你整件事
But I’ve wanted to tell you the whole story for a very long time.
我出身贫寒 老伙计
See, I grew up terribly, terribly poor, old sport.
我的家人…
My folks were…
他透露了他卑微的出身
He revealed his humble beginnings,
与丹·科迪改变命运的航行
his transformative voyage with Dan Cody,
战争 牛津大学
the war, Oxford,
还有他是如何加入沃尔夫山姆的生意当中
and how he joined Wolfshiem in the business.
也是在那一晚
It was also that night,
我意识到盖茨比天生非常乐观
that I became aware of Gatsby’s extraordinary gift for hope.
我无法形容
I can’t describe
发现自己爱上她时感到多诧异
how surprised I was to find out that I loved her.
而且她也爱我
And that she loved me too.
我从未见过谁天生就这么乐观
A gift that I have never found in any other person.
没想到还有这么好的女孩
I never realized how extraordinary a nice girl could be.
我觉得也不再会有了
And which it is not likely I shall ever find again.
我在想有了黛西以后的生活
I thought out my life with Daisy in it,
想怎样才能跟她结婚
trying to figure out how we could marry

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!