Are you asking us to believe you attended a meeting…
一个女孩才加入共♥党♥组织的
of a Communist organization because of a girl?
是的庭上
Yes, sir.
即使有些人跟你一样 对此种观念一定也不陌生
Even someone like yourself must be familiar with the concept.
-请将你的回答保持在限度内 -对不起
-Please confine your answers. -I’m sorry.
你的证词无法使我信服
I’m having trouble reconciling your testimony here.
你已经准备好要洗刷 你跟共♥产♥党员的关联性
You’re prepared to purge yourself of Communist ties.
被询问时你声称 你根本就不是其中成员
Yet when questioned, you claim not to have gone as a member.
-我没有 -那你参与了吗
-I didn’t. -Then what did you attend as?
我有点犹豫
I’m hesitant to say.
你同意过愿意立即提供证词的 我坚持你必须说
You agreed to be forthcoming. I insist you do so.
好吧 我…
Well, I went as…
就像是个好色的男子般的加入
a horny young man.
注意会场秩序
Order in the chamber!
维持秩序
Order!
他不想跟这些男子争吵
He doesn’t want to spar with these boys.
-他们会生吞活剥了他 -是啊
-They’ll eat him alive. -Yes, they will.
很好
Good.
相信我 你不想引起我们的狂怒
Believe me, you do not want to incur our wrath!
这是为了什么
What is the purpose of this?
阿普顿先生到这里来完全的跟你合作
Mr. Appleton came here to cooperate fully with you.
但是他却被当成是敌方的证人
Yet he’s treated as a hostile witness.
重点是 停止追击 让他宣读声明
Point taken. Let’s cut to the chase and have him read his statement.
若是他不答辩第五项 我还有进一步问题
If he’s not pleading the 5th, I do have further questions.
埃尔文
Elvin.
再也不要再打开这个了
Let’s not open this any further.
我要这小家伙 宣读声明然后滚出去
I want this little turd to read his statement and get out of here.
委员会没有任何问题了
The Committee sees no cause for further questions.
阿普顿先生可以进行宣读
Mr. Appleton may proceed with his statement.
“我彼特·阿普顿”
“I, Peter Appleton…
“要洗涤自己看清”
by way of purging myself…
“我的不明智行为”
of my indiscretions….”
阿普顿先生
Mr. Appleton?
抱歉 主席先生
I’m sorry, Mr. Chairman.
我想我需要一点水
I think I need some water.
孩子 请吧
Go ahead, son.
我做不下去
I can’t do this.
我尽量简短
I’ll make this simple.
你宣读声明 否则就会因为藐视法庭坐牢
You read that statement, or go straight to jail for contempt.
-坐牢 -坐牢
-Jail? -Jail.
只要宣读声明
Just read the damn statement.
“我彼特·阿普顿”
“I, Peter Appleton….”
阿普顿先生 委员会的耐心有限喔
Mr. Appleton, the Committee’s patience is wearing thin.
我晓得 主席先生
I understand that, Mr. Chairman.
很抱歉
I’m sorry.
很抱歉
I’m sorry.
有比我是不是共♥产♥党员更重要的事情
It occurs to me there’s a bigger issue than whether or not I’m a Communist.
更重要的事 没有更重要的事
Bigger issue? There is no bigger issue.
事实上不是要唱反调 我认为有
Actually, not to be contrary, I think there is.
我不太确定怎么说
Gosh, I don’t quite know what to say.
事实是我…
Fact is, I….
我从不是个有伟大信念的人
I’ve never been a man of great conviction.
一点都没有
I never saw the percentage in it.
坦白说
And quite frankly…
我认为…
I suppose…
我缺乏勇气
I lacked the courage.
看 我不像路克·川普
See, I’m not like Luke Trimble.
他让集市上的人群也关心那些事情
He had the market cornered on those things.
我没见过他可是我觉得我要认识他
I never met the guy, but I feel like I’ve gotten to know him.
这事情是我不得不对他说的感到诧异
The thing is, I can’t help wondering what he’d say…
若是他现在也站在这里
if he were standing here right now.
我想他可能会告诉各位
I think he’d probably tell you…
这房♥间里所表现出来的美国
the America represented in this room…
并不是他誓死所扞卫的美国
is not the America he died defending.
我想他会说你们的美国比较好
I think he’d say your America is bitter…
而且残酷又心胸狭小
and cruel and small.
维持秩序
Come to order!
我知道他心目中美国的伟大 比你们能想像的还大
I know his America was big. Bigger than you can imagine!
有宽阔的视野和胸襟 每个人都能表达意见
With a wide-open heart! Where every person has a voice!
即使你不喜欢别人说的…
Even if you don’t like what they say…
够了 完全脱序了
Enough! You are out of order!
若是他在这里 我很好奇 你会怎么回答
If he were here, I wonder how you’d respond…
他心目中的伟大美国怎么了
if you could explain to him what happened to his America.
阿普顿先生 你在侮辱法庭的边缘游走
Mr. Appleton, You are skating on the edge of contempt!
这是我今天认同你的第一句话
That’s the first thing I’ve heard today that I agree with!
我的当事人显然是因为克莱德先生的问题
My client is clearly under an enormous strain as a result…
而承受了过大的压力 他不应对如此的反应负责
of the questioning of Mr. Clyde. He’s not responsible for his comments.
-我们要诉诸宪法第五修正案 -不
-We wish to invoke the 5th Amendment. -No, we don’t.
-我们坚持 -不 我们不需要 停止
-We do. -No, we don’t, so knock it off!
闭嘴让我们弄清楚 不准引用宪法第五修正案
Shut up and let me get through this. The 5th Amendment is off the table.
但是我还要引用另一宪法修正案
But there is another Amendment I’d like to invoke.
不晓得在场的有没有人觉得熟悉
I wonder if anyone here is familiar with it.
“国会不得立法干涉信仰的自♥由♥”
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.”
你完全不遵守秩序
You’re out of order!
“不应立法”
“Shall make no law…
-“干涉…” -我的法庭重整秩序
-respecting…” -My chamber will come to order!
“信仰的建立”
“An establishment of religion…
“或是禁止其中的活动”
or prohibiting free exercise thereof…
“限制言论限制出版的自♥由♥”
or abridging freedom of speech, or of the press…
“限制对苦难的纠正的请♥愿♥权”
or of the right to petition for a redress of grievances.”
别放肆地对委员会上课说教
Do not presume to lecture this Committee!
第一宪法修正案是我们维生之所系
The First Amendment. It’s what we’re about, if we’d live up to it.
让他讲 他会害死自己
Let him talk. He’s hanging himself.
也是这里的公民的合约的一部份
It’s part of the contract every citizen has here.
即使宪法以及权利法案
Even though the Constitution and the Bill of Rights…
只是一些有签名的文件而已
are just pieces of paper with signatures on them…
但那也是我们唯一绝对不必也不可
they’re the only contracts we have that are definitely not subject…
重新协商的一份合约
to renegotiation.
-不是靠你 主席先生 -阿普顿先生
-Not by you, Mr. Chairman. -Mr. Appleton!
-不是靠你 克莱德先生 -下去
-Not by you, Mr. Clyde. -Stand down!
永远不是靠任何个人
Not by anyone, ever.
太多人付出血的代价
Too many people have paid in blood.
够了 你完全不遵守法庭秩序
Enough, sir! You are out of order!
像是路克·川普一般的人
People like Luke Trimble…
还有加州劳森镇上所有人
and all the sons of Lawson, California.
对呀
Damn right.
他们应该过得比这样要好
And they deserve better than this.
所有的人都应该是
All you boys do.
遵守秩序否则清场
I will have order or I will clear this chamber!
朋友们 当你们开始认真考虑
When you get right down to it, fellas…
那就是我要说的一切
that’s all I have to say to you.
你不会被宽恕的
You are not excused!
证人回座 你不会被宽恕的
The witness will resume his seat! You are not excused!
你请回座
You will resume your seat!
我要去片厂 我在哪放你下车
I’m going to the studio. Where can I drop you?
家里
Home.
-我将要收拾行李 -收拾行李
-Gotta pack. -Pack?
我将去牢里 我要准备牙刷
I’m going to prison. I’ll need a toothbrush.
为何你认为你会去坐牢
Why do you think you’re going to prison?
你见到了 我说了去他妈的
You saw it. I just told them to screw themselves.
那是其中一种看法
That’s one way to see it.
-另一种看法呢 -试试看这个
-What other way is there? -Try this one.
他们将你塑造成了英雄 甚至让你的威望等同于烈士
They made a hero out of you. Think they’ll promote you to martyr?
不我不这么认为 他们可要面子得很
No, I don’t think so. This is about them saving face.
若你要当英雄 你会变成他们的东西
If you’re gonna be a hero, you’ll be theirs.
你跟记者说话的时候 宣传员过来谈交意
While you talked to reporters, a flack came up talking deal.
-什么交易 -你知道的交易
-What kind of a deal? -You know, deal.
他们靠人名而成功有像你这样的证人 什么姓名都可以
They thrive on names. With a witness like you, any name will do.
我并没有给他们任何名字啊
I didn’t give them any names.
萨敦利·露西尔·安格斯特朗姆不是名字吗
Suddenly Lucille Angstrom isn’t a name?
不是我说的就在他们眼前的资料里啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!