6个月后 他们之中的一个发财了 千分之一啊
After six months one of them’s lucky. One out of the thousand.
他的发现不只代表他的劳动
His find represents not only his own labor
还有另外999人的劳动为基础
but that of 999 others to boot.
算起来是6000个月 500年的时间…
That’s 6,000 months to 500 years…
在山上不停地干活 又饥又渴
scrambling over mountain, going hungry and thirsty.
黄金这么值钱
The gold is worth
是因为人们去寻找所花费的人力
what it is ’cause of the human labor that went into finding it.
-从没有这么想过 -没有其他的解释
– Never thought of it like that. – There’s no other explanation.
黄金除了作首饰和金牙
Gold ain’t good for nothing
并不是一无是处
except for making jewelry and gold teeth.
黄金是一种邪恶的东西
Gold’s a devilish sort of thing.
一开始你告诉自己
You start out to tell yourself
给你2万5千美元你就满足了
you’ll be satisfied with $25,000 worth.
所以 主啊帮帮我 我真心求你 说的信誓旦旦
So help me Lord and cross my heart. Fine resolution.
几个月的劳作
After months of sweating yourself dizzy,
供应匮乏 一无所获…
few provisions, finding nothing…
最后你的钱只剩1万5千美元 只剩1万美元了
you finally come down to $15,000, then $10,000.
最后你说
Finally you say,
“主啊 再让我找到5千美元的财富…”
“Lord, let me just find $5,000 worth…
“我的下半生再也不会祈求更多”
“and I’ll never ask for anything more the rest of my life.”
5千美元是笔大数目呢
$5,000 is a lot of money.
在这个小店里 好像是笔大数目
In this joint it seems like a lot.
但是如果你真的有了钱 你就不会这样想了
But if you made a real strike, you couldn’t be dragged away.
为了再得到1万美元
Even the threat of death wouldn’t keep you
你会不惜冒生命的代价
from adding $10,000 more.
有了1万 你会想要2万5千
$10,000, you’d want $25,000.
有了2万5千 你会想要5万
$25,000, you’d want $50,000.
5万 10万 就像轮盘赌
$50,000, $100,000. Like roulette.
再多一次 总是再多一次
One more time, you know. Always one more.
我不会那样的 我发誓 我不会那样的
It wouldn’t be that way with me. I swear, it wouldn’t.
我会只取走我应得的部分
I’d take only what I set out to get.
尽管还剩下50万在那里…
Even if there was still $500,000 worth…
等着别人去捡
Iying around, waiting to be picked up.
我曾在阿♥拉♥斯加 加拿大 科罗拉多挖过金矿
I’ve dug in Alaska and Canada and Colorado.
我去过英属洪都拉斯 我赚够了回家的路费…
I was in the British Honduras, I made my fare back home…
还有差不多足够治好我患的伤寒的钱
and almost enough over to cure me of the fever I’d caught.
还有加利福尼亚和澳大利亚 几乎遍布世界
Dug in California and Australia. All over the world practically.
是的 我知道金子对人的灵魂的影响
Yeah. I know what gold does to men’s souls.
你滔滔不绝的说了半天 就像有一天你会发财一样
You talk as though you struck it rich sometime or other, pop.
那又怎么样
How about it?
那你在这里干什么 四处乞讨吗
Then what are you doing in here, a down- and- outer?
是黄金 是黄金让我们这样的
That’s gold. That’s what it makes us.
从来没听说哪个采矿工发财后罢手不干的
Never knew a prospector yet that died rich.
一旦发了财 他一定会还想再发一笔
Make one fortune, he’s sure to blow it trying to find another.
我也不例外
I’m no exception to the rule.
当然我现在就剩把老骨头了
Sure I’m a gnawed old bone now
但你们不要以为我的精神也会消沉
but don’t you guys think the spirit’s gone.
如果有人愿意分担费用
I’m set to shoulder a pickaxe
我还会扛起镐头的
if anybody’s willing to share expenses.
我宁愿自己去 一个人去最好了
I’d rather go by myself. It’s best to go alone.
但你必须容忍♥孤独
But you got to have a stomach for loneliness.
有人就因为受不了而发了疯
Some guys go nutty with it.
但找拍档一起去是很危险的
But going with a partner is dangerous.
杀人犯往往就潜伏在中间
Murderers always lurking about.
拍档会互相指责各种罪行
Partners accusing each other of all sorts of crimes.
只要还没有什么发现 高尚的兄弟情意就还在
As long as there’s no find, the noble brotherhood will last.
可是一旦挖到的金子多起来
But when the piles of gold begin to grow,
烦恼就开始了
that’s when the trouble starts.
我不会介意这一点点烦恼的
I wouldn’t mind a little of that kind of trouble.
我想我要睡了…
I think I’ll go to sleep…
梦见成堆的黄金…
and dream about piles of gold…
变得越来越多
getting bigger and bigger.
你相信那天在黑人旅馆…
Do you believe what the old man…
碰到的那个老头…
who was doing all the talking at the Oso Negro…
所说的话吗
said the other night…
金子会改变一个人的灵魂
about gold changing a man’s soul
让他跟发现金子以前…
so that he ain’t the same kind of a guy…
判若两人吗
that he was before finding it?
我想会因人而异吧
Guess that all depends on the man.
我也是这么想的
That’s exactly what I say.
金子本身并没有罪
Gold don’t carry any curse with it.
完全取决于发现金子的人
It all depends on whether or not the guy
是不是那个合适的人
who finds it is the right guy.
照我的想法…
The way I see it…
金子是福也是祸
gold can be as much of a blessing as a curse.
看是谁从布里斯托旅馆出来了
Look who’s coming out of the Hotel Bristol.
是帕特 麦考密克还是我见了鬼
Is that Pat McCormick or am I seeing things?
就是他
It’s him.
-我们去找他 -一定要好好收拾他
– Let’s get him. – Let’s get him hard.
你和我为什么不去给我买♥♥些东西
Why don’t you and me go and buy me something?
我看中了一双新鞋子
I could use a new pair of shoes.
嗨 伙计们 你们好 很高兴见到你们
Hello, fellows, how are you? Glad to see you.
这是杜比西先生 还有科汀先生 这是…
Mr. Dobbs and Mr. Curtin, Senorita…
洛佩兹
Lopez.
洛佩兹小姐 我们一起去喝一杯如何
Lopez. I want you guys to come and have a drink with me.
我跟这两位先生有生意要谈
I’ve got business to attend to with these men.
你先回旅馆等我 不会太久的
You go back up to the hotel and wait. I won’t be long.
好的
Okay.
伙计们 我们去喝一杯 你们去哪里了
Fellas, let’s have that drink. Where have you been?
我一直到处找你们
I’ve been looking all over for you.
三杯黑麦酒
Three shots of rye.
我要白兰地 三星的
Make mine brandy, Three Star.
-两个白兰地 -我喝黑麦就够了
– Two brandies. – Rye is good enough for me.
我想你们在疑惑你们该得的那笔钱
I suppose you’re wondering about that money that’s coming to you.
事实上我自己还没有得到那个合同的付款
The fact is I haven’t been paid off on that contract myself.
我有了钱 第一个先给你们
If I had the money, you’d get it first thing.
我下个合同优先聘请你们
I’ll put you both on my next contract.
下周一就可以谈成了 周五就可以出发
It will come through by Monday and we can set out Friday.
干杯
Here’s mud in your eye.
我们想要我们那份 现在就要
We want what’s coming to us. We want it right here and now.
-可我刚才不是告诉你… -你最好快给钱
– But didn’t I just tell you… – You better come across.
我告诉你我的打算 我先给你25%
I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll give you 25%.
我想可以长到30%
I guess I can make it 30%.
大家让一步 下周四之前给好吗
And the balance, say, the middle of next week?
不行 现在就要给
Nothing doing. Right here and now.
一分也不能少 否则你别想走出这个门
Every cent or you won’t walk out of here.
我会让你横着出去
You’ll be carried out.
我们还可以是朋友啊 再喝一杯如何
Let’s don’t stop being friends. How about another drink?
再来两个白兰地 把杯子放吧台上
Two more brandies. Put the bottle on the bar.
如果你想把我们灌醉…
If you want to get us liquored up…
不 我只想邀请你们跟我友好地喝杯酒
No, I’m just inviting you to have a friendly drink with me.
-别打了 小伙子们 -快给钱
– I’m licked, boys. – Give us our money.
对 给钱
Yeah, give us our money.
我看不清了
I can’t see.
50美元 100美元
$50. $100.
200美元
$200.
300美元
$300.
-是这个数 对吧 科汀 -对 是这个数
– That’s it, ain’t it, Curt? – Yeah, that’s it.
趁警♥察♥还没来快走吧
Let’s beat it before the law arrives.
这是打烂东西的赔偿
Here’s for the drinks and the use of the cantina.
-你知道吗 科汀 -什么
– You know something, Curt? – What?
我们不够聪明 整天在坦皮科闲逛等工作
We ain’t very smart, hanging around Tampico waiting for a job.
钱变得越来越少…
Money’s getting shorter every day…
不用多久就跟以前一样 到处流浪…
and soon we’ll be right back where we were, on the bum again…
跟人乞讨 睡在运货车箱里
pushing guys for dimes, sleeping around in freight cars.
说的对 有什么好主意吗
That’s right. Got any ideas?
那个黑人旅馆的老头让我想…
That old man in the Oso Negro started me to thinking.
想什么
What about?
为什么不去淘金改变生活呢
Why not try gold- digging for a change?
不管怎么都不会比在这里等要冒险的多…
It ain’t any riskier than waiting around here for a break…

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章午夜牛郎
下一篇文章十诫(1956)
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!