什么?
What?
我不想让别人把我想象成个一直困于苦闷的妻子
I don’t want to be thought of as the long-suffering wife.
你懂我的意思 是吧? -不 我必须得感谢你
You understand that, don’t you? – No. I have to thank you.
大家都会感谢自己的妻子的
Everyone thanks their wife.
如果我不的话 人们会认为我是个自恋狂的
If I don’t, I’ll come off like some narcissistic bastard.
可你就是啊 -天啊
Well, you are. – Oh, God.
没事 我不会说很久的 小琼
No, it’ll be quick, Joanie.
就说一句感谢你的话 不会让你难堪的
You know, one sentence. It’ll be painless.
好不好呀 -不行
Come on. – No.
你还好吗?
You okay?
你该怎么做就怎么做吧
Do what you need to do.
《教师的妻子》
The Faculty Wife.
你对卡索曼夫人阐述的相当有见解啊
You’ve shed quite an interesting light on Mrs. Castleman.
不 这跟你妻子没有关系 只是角色研习
No, it’s not about your wife at all. It’s just a character study.
阿切尔小姐 我已经跟你说过你的作品很优秀了
Miss Archer, I’ve already told you that your work is good.
但我不确定在你本人身上能有同样的感受
But I’m not sure I got it through to you.
这是我的小说 《睡着的小狗》
This is from my novel, Sleeping Dogs.
我知道你们大多是没看过这本书的
I know most of you haven’t read it
因为这本书也就卖♥♥出去1000本
because it’s only sold 1,000 copies.
这里大部分还都是我亲戚买♥♥的
Most of which were bought by my relatives,
钱还是我出的
who were paid handsomely by me.
所以呢 我开始读啦 第一章…
So, here we go. Chapter one…
不了 谢谢 -我能向你介绍…
No, thank you. – Could I introduce you to…
那些太绿了 -我们之前谈过这个的…
They’re so green. – We’ve been through this before…
伊莱恩 我跟你介绍下 这位是阿切尔小姐
Elaine, let me introduce you to Miss Archer,
她就是我跟你说的那个很有前途的年轻作家 等一下
the promising young writer I told you about. One second.
抱歉 琼 过来一下 不好意思
Excuse me. Joan, please. Excuse us.
琼 这位是伊莱恩·莫泽尔
Joan, this is Elaine Mozell.
你好
Hello. Hi.
你的散文写得简直太棒了 既清新脱俗又栩栩如生 文笔大胆的很啊
Your prose is brilliant. It’s clean and vivid and bold.
谢谢你 但你知道吗?
Thank you, but you know what?
世人接受不了一个女人写出来文风如此大胆的散文
The public can’t stomach bold prose from a woman.
我听说你很有才华
You’re talented, I hear.
谢谢你 我很喜欢写作 写作就是我的生命
Thank you. Yeah, I love to write. It’s my life.
别干写作这行
Don’t do it.
你什么意思?
Excuse me?
知道你写的书会沦落个什么样的下场吗?
You wanna know where your books will end up?
就在这上面 校友书架上
Right there. On the alumni shelf.
来 打开看看
Go ahead, open it up.
听到了吗?一本书从未被人翻开过 才会在打开时有这样的声音
You hear that? That’s the sound of a book that’s never been opened.
别妄想得到他们的关注
Don’t ever think that you can get their attention.
谁的? -男人的
Whose? – The men.
那些写读后感的 管理出版社的男人
Who write the reviews. Who run the publishing houses.
那些编辑杂♥志♥的男人
Who edit the magazines.
他们决定谁才值得被世人认真对待
The ones who decide who gets to be taken seriously,
而又是谁的作品永世只配放在最底层
who gets to be put up on a pedestal for the rest of their lives.
作家必须要写作
A writer has to write.
不 是作家必须要有人去读他的作品
A writer has to be read, honey.
有谁有打火机吗?
Has anyone got a light?
乔?
Joe?
乔?
Joe?
乔?
Joe?
乔?
Joe?
想坐下来跟我一起吃吗?
You wanna join me?
不了 我该回家了
No. I should go home.
好吧
Okay.
上♥床♥睡觉
Go to bed.
外面还在下雪吗?
Is it still snowing out there?
那在你走之前我把这句话送给你吧
Then let me send you out with this.
他的灵魂缓缓地昏睡了
“His soul swooned slowly
当他听着雪花微微地穿过宇宙在飘落
“as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe
微微地
“and faintly falling,
如同他们最终的结局那样
“like the descent of their last end,
飘落到所有的生灵和死者身上
“upon all the living and the dead.”
写的真美
That’s beautiful.
是你写的吗?
Did you write it?
不是
No.
我该走了
Well, time to go.
太晚了
It’s late.
晚安 -晚安
Good night. – Good night.
我知道你想说什么
I know. I know what you’re gonna say.
我吃这么多脂肪高的食物简直就是自杀
I’m killing myself eating all this fat.
这么吃你会死的
You will.
我们这是在干嘛?
What are we doing?
听我说 要不我们就赶紧把领奖这事搞定
Listen, why don’t we knock this whole thing on the head?
离开这里 找一个海湾边的小房♥子隐居 然后喝到酩酊大醉
Go and hole up in a cabin in a fjord. Drink ourselves silly.
对着北极光大声呼喊
Howl at the northern lights.
真能这样就好了
If only.
请进
Come in.
卡索曼先生想在这里享用午餐
Mr. Castleman will have his lunch in here.
乔 你得起来了 -好的
Joe, you’ve gotta get up. – Yeah.
他们40分钟后就来接你了
They’re picking you up in 40 minutes.
哦 天啊 好吧 我这就起来
Oh, Jesus. Okay, I’m coming.
午餐已经给你送来了
Your lunch is here.
这是你的备用眼镜
Here are your spare glasses.
这是你的药
And here are your pills.
你不跟我一起去吗?
You’re not coming with me?
不了 我想自己一个人待一会儿
No, I’d like to spend some time by myself.
有什么安排吗?
What are you gonna do?
我也没想好 也许会游览一下这个城市
I don’t know. Maybe go on a tour of the city.
什么 坐那个破城市观光巴士吗?
What, some lousy tour bus?
乔 我自己静一下 心情会好很多的
Joe, I’ll be in a much better mood if you let me go.
我还以为来这领奖是我们俩的事
I thought this was something we should be doing together.
下午3点的时候吃一粒
Take one of these at 3:00.
我给你定闹表了
And I’ve set your watch.
卡索曼夫人 -纳撒尼尔
Mrs. Castleman. – Nathaniel.
我不是跟踪你 我向您保证
I’m not stalking you, I promise.
不过我确实有写东西想给你 我本来是想留在前台桌子上的
But I do have something for you. I was gonna leave it at the desk.
不过是我在研究乔的历史背景的时候
Just a little something I picked up at a bookstore at Smith
在史密斯大学书店找到的一些东西
when I was doing some research on Joe.
诺斯罗普公♥寓♥楼
Northrop House.
我以前大学宿舍就在那
That was my dorm.
我知道
I know.
这些东西是在你读大学之前的事
It’s quite a bit before your time,
但我想你会觉得这些东西很有趣的
but I thought you’d get a kick out of it.
谢谢你 纳撒尼尔 你有心了
Thank you, Nathaniel. This is very thoughtful of you.
我跪舔乔希望他授权我写他的传记 可惜失败了 但这段期间您对我一直很友善
You’ve always been so kind to me in my aborted attempts at wooing Joe.
我想请您喝一杯 如果您不觉得冒昧的话
I’d love to buy you a drink, if I may.
这附近就有一个非常有格调的酒吧 很有19世纪的韵味
There’s a lovely bar close by, very 19th century.
你可以想象到斯特林堡在那酒吧喝得不省人事
You can imagine Strindberg getting hammered in there.
我不清楚这么做到底合不合适
I don’t know how appropriate that would be.
百分之百的不合适
Well, it’s completely inappropriate.
但我们这是在瑞典 正值隆冬时节
But here we are in Sweden, it’s the dead of winter.
我想我俩谁也不愿沉浸在自己的思虑中
I don’t think either one of us wanna be completely alone
只身独处 对不对?
in our own brooding thoughts right now, do we?
好喝啊
Nice.
我有句话想跟你说
I do actually have a confession.
有人请我写一本有关乔的书
I have gotten an offer to write a book about Joe.
我跟您说这事 是不想让您误以为我在他背后搞小动作
I wanted to tell you so you don’t think I’m doing anything behind his back.
聘你的人是出于学术目的才让你写这本书的吗?
And is this going to be a scholarly work?
是 也不是
Yes and no.
什么意思呢?
Meaning what?
您也知道 我知道乔曾有过各种…
You may as well know that I am aware of Joe’s various…
轻率之举
Indiscretions.
嗯 我知道的
Well, I’m sure you are.
我能想象得到 这对传记作者来说是多么劲爆的内容
I can imagine it’s very juicy material for a biographer.
我知道你会这么想 但说实话 这些都很容易预料到
You would think so, but, to be honest, it’s a tad predictable.
大多数的天才性♥欲♥都比常人要强烈的多
Most of your men of genius tend to have overactive libidos,
而由于我们这些传记作者用推崇的语气去描写这事
and thanks to worshipful tomes put out by us biographers,
人们发现这些轻率之举就变成了天才的魅力而愿意去忽略它们
we’re all supposed to find it charming and forgivable.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!