您太抬举我了 不过这仍是钱宁小姐的戏
You’re more than kind. But it’s still Miss Channing’s performance.
我不过是个替身罢了
I’m the carbon copy you read when you can’t find the original.
你太谦虚了
You’re more than modest.
这不是谦虚 我只是不想欺骗自己罢了
It’s not modesty. I don’t try to kid myself.
我想提供你一个颠覆传统
A revolutionary approach to the theatre.
– 进军戏剧界的方式 – 请说
– But if I may make a suggestion… – Please do.
我想你不该再屈躬卑膝
I think the time has come to shed some of your humility.
不稍微自我宣传 就和过分膨胀自己一样虚伪
It is just as false not to blow your horn at all as it is to blow it too loudly.
我认为自己没做过什么值得自吹自擂的
I don’t think I’ve done anything to sound off about.
世上的每一个人都有些许的自负
We come into this world with our little egos equipped with individual horns.
如果不自我宣传 谁会替你宣传?
If we don’t blow them, who else will?
即使如此 但一个替身精彩的演出
Even so. One pretty good performance by an understudy,
观众很快就会淡忘的
it’ll be forgotten tomorrow.
未必
It needn’t be.
即使我想不再屈躬卑膝 开始自我宣传
Even if I wanted to, as you say, be less humble, blow my own horn,
我该怎么做?我不过是个无名小卒
how would I do it? I’m less than nobody.
– 我是个大人物 – 你的确是个大人物
– I’m somebody. – You certainly are.
门别全关 这样我们才能继续聊
Leave the door open a bit, so we can talk.
你换好衣服之后 如果你没有事
After you change, if you’re not busy elsewhere,
我们可以一起吃晚餐
we could have supper.
乐意之至 或是我应该假装我还有事?
I’d love to. Or should I pretend I’m busy?
不用假装你还有事
Let’s have a minimum of pretending.
我想写一篇有关你的专栏
I shall want to do a column about you.
我还不够你写上一段
I’m not even enough for a paragraph.
可能不只一段
Perhaps more than one.
我对你充满好奇
There’s so much I want to know.
你的过去我时有所闻
I’ve heard your story in part.
你在辛斯康辛的老家 你那令人鼻酸的婚姻
Your home in Wisconsin, your tragic marriage,
你对玛格疯狂的迷恋
your fanatical attachment to Margo.
从旧金山开始吧?
It started in San Francisco, didn’t it?
你对玛格的崇拜 是从旧金山开始的吧?
I say your idolatry of Margo started in San Francisco, didn’t it?

That’s right.
旧金山 加州沙漠中一块文明的绿洲
San Francisco, an oasis of civilization in the California desert.
你同意我这样赞美旧金山吗?
Tell me, do you share my high opinion of San Francisco?
同意
Yes, I do.
你被玛格的舞台魅力所吸引的那一夜…
And that memorable night when Margo first dazzled you from the stage,
什么剧院?舒伯特?
what theatre was it in San Francisco? Was it the Shubert?
对 舒伯特
Yes, the Shubert.
舒伯特 一座古老的剧院 充满传统
Fine old theatre, the Shubert. Full of tradition.
并未受到地震及大火所波及
Untouched by the earthquake. Or should I say fire?
你丈夫叫什么名字?
Tell me, what was your husband’s name?
– 艾迪 – 艾迪什么?
– Eddie. – Eddie what?
我要冲个澡 听不到你的话了
I’m about to go into the shower. I won’t be able to hear you.
我可以等
Well, it can wait.
你想去哪儿吃?
Where would you like to go?
我们一定要让今夜成为特别的一夜
We must make this a special night.
你作主
You take charge.
我相信我会的
I believe I will.
有些早报稍微提到夏娃的演出
Some morning papers carried a squib about Eve’s performance.
尽管篇幅不大 但都是赞美之词
Not much, but full of praise.
我无法想像 他们如何知道她的演出
I couldn’t imagine how they found out about it.
不过洛伊说 这是马克斯的宣传人员所为
But Lloyd said Max’s publicity man probably sent out the story.
总之 我自责不已
At any rate, I felt terribly guilty and ashamed of myself
更想彻底忘掉这件事
and wanted nothing so much as to forget the whole thing.
我和玛格 在”21″餐厅共进午餐
Margo and I were having lunch at 21,
就像一般的姐妹淘
just like girlfriends, with hats on.
– 钱宁小姐来了没?- 还没
– Has Miss Channing come in? – Not yet.
谢谢
Thank you.
夏娃 大家都对你的演出感到赞叹不已
Oh, Eve! I’ve heard the most wonderful things about your performance.
没有出洋相我就谢天谢地了
Relief that I managed to stagger through it.
她的演出令人激赏
She was magnificent.
– 那么说你也知道 – 当时我在场
– Then you’ve heard, too. – I was there.
– 你也在场?昨晚的演出?- 纯属巧合
– You were at the play last night? – A happy coincidence.
我们将和一位星探一起吃饭
We’re having lunch with a talent scout.
他们的手脚还真快啊
They certainly don’t waste much time.
– 八字都还没一撇呢 – 只是吃个饭罢了
– It’s nothing definite. Just lunch. – They’ll be wasting their time.
他们只会浪费时间的 夏娃根本无意到好莱坞发展
Eve has no intention of going to Hollywood.
从你的打扮看来 我猜你将和一位女士共进午餐
By your smart dress, I take it your companion is a lady?
– 玛格 – 玛格会在公共场所吃饭?
– Margo. – Margo lunching in public?
玛格变了 不过迟到的毛病依然没变
It’s a new Margo, but she’s just as late as the old one.
她迟到的时间 可能会超出你的想像
She may be later than you think.
何不看我的专栏打发时间?
Why not read my column to pass the time?
– 时间一转眼就过了 – 谢谢
– The minutes will fly like hours. – Thank you, Addison.
现在我们得去见 那个求才若渴的星探
Now we must join our sunburned eager beaver.
– 再见了凯伦 – 再见
– Goodbye, Karen. – Goodbye.
“我将最近几年 这顶紧靠在耳际的帽子
“And so my hat which has, lo, these many seasons,
脱下向赫灵顿致敬
“become firmly rooted about my ears, is lifted to Miss Harrington.
我又再度在街上手舞足蹈 在屋顶大叫”
“I am available for dancing in the streets and shouting from the housetops.”
老套了 这里…你听
I thought that one went out with Woollcott. Now listen to this.
“赫小姐有很多话要说 这些专栏将忠实报导
“Miss Harrington had much to tell and these columns shall report her faithfully
有关剧场的陋规 有关中年的女演员继续演出
“about the lamentable practice in our theatre of permitting
需要由充满活力的年轻演员
“mature actresses to continue playing roles
所扮演的角色”
“requiring a youth and vigor of which they retain but a dim memory.”
– 我简直不敢相信 – 这里更过分
– I just can’t believe it. – It gets better.
“有关戏剧界的第♥一♥夫♥人♥
“About the understandable reluctance of our entrenched first ladies of the stage
不愿提携后进
“to encourage, shall we say, younger actresses,
和有关赫小姐独♥立♥争取演出机会的相关报导”
“and Miss Harrington’s unsupported struggle for opportunity.”
真不敢相信夏娃会说这样的话
I can’t believe Eve said those things.
在这场激烈的竞争中
In this rat race,
每个人在证明自己无罪之前都有罪
everybody’s guilty till proved innocent.
这是剧场和文明的不同之处之一
One of the differences between the theatre and civilization.
我不懂
What gets me
为何所有报社记者都刚好看了那场表演
is how all the papers happened to catch that particular performance.
洛依说那是一场开放给媒体观赏的演出
Lloyd says it’s a publicity release.
这小妖精一定是无所不用其极
The witch must have sent out Indian Runners,
把所有的评论家找来
snatching critics out of bars, steam rooms and museums or wherever they hole up.
这次她再也难推其咎了
She won’t get away with it.
艾迪森和他的毒笔也一样
Nor will Addison DeWitt and his poison pen.
如果演员协会或是我的律师
If Equity or my lawyer
无法为我讨回公道
can’t or won’t do anything about it,
我就亲手将这只迷途的羔羊
I shall personally stuff that pathetic little lost lamb
送进杜威先生的口中
down Mr. DeWitt’s ugly throat!
我看见那篇报导之后 就立刻赶来
I came as soon as I read that piece of filth.
我一路跑来
I ran all the way.
宝贝 比尔来了
Bill’s here, baby.
没事了
Everything’s all right now.
我还是让你们小俩口独处吧
I guess at this point I’m what the French call “de trop.”
心领了
Maybe just a little around the edges.
从头至尾 这都是艾迪一手策划的
It’s Addison from start to finish.
上面还滴着他特有的毒液
It drips with his brand of venom.
利用小女孩的无知扭曲她的言语
Taking advantage of a kid, twisting her words,
逼她说他要她说的话
making her say what he wanted her to say.
– 这些话是谁告诉你的?- 夏娃
– Where did you get all that information? – Eve.
– 夏娃?- 她来找过我
– Eve? – She’s been to see me.
老实说 你进来之前她才刚走
She left just before you came in.
你们刚好没见到面
You just missed her.
– 真可惜 – 她想解释有关访问的事
– That was a pity. – Wanted to explain about the interview.
想向玛格道歉 却又不敢面对她
Wanted to apologize to someone, and didn’t dare face Margo.
– 这就奇怪了 – 她一直哭无法把话说完
– I wonder why. – She started talking and couldn’t finish.
她哭得好伤心
She cried so.
我衡量过我们的经济状况
I’ve been going over our financial position,
如果你不介意我这么说…
if you’ll pardon the expression.
你把话题转得太快了
That’s quite a change of subject.
缴税的时间又到了
What with taxes coming up, and,
由于我只是个剧作家 不是个石油大亨
since I’m a playwright and not an oil-well operator,
我一直在想…
I was thinking…
我一直试着了解你在说什么
I’m trying hard to follow you.
如果不等到下季就演出
Instead of waiting until next season to do Footsteps on the Ceiling,
“天花板上的脚印”
which is in pretty good shape,
如果玛格 愿意巡回演出”林中岁月”
and if Margo can be talked into going on tour with Aged in Wood,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!