这是他最好的选择
This is what’s best for him.
是他亲口告诉你
So he personally told you that it’s his wish
他想退出事务所吗
to withdraw from the firm?
看来不是 不然我真得吓一跳
See, that would surprise me.
距离他来这里已经快一年了
It’s been nearly a year since he’s set foot in here.
-我只是为他争取最大利益 -我也是
– I’m just doing what’s in his best interests. – So am I.
而我相信他将会很乐意看到这些
And I, for one, believe he’s gonna lick this thing.
在他回归之前 他的办公室会保持原样
Until then, his office is just as he left it.
他的秘书也依然有薪水
His secretary’s still on payroll.
如果查克把这叫作延长休假
If Chuck can call this an extended sabbatical,
那我们也可以 他对我们就是这么重要
then so can we — he’s that important to us.
这样吧 还是让陪审团来裁定
You know what? Let’s let a jury figure it out.
是啊 他们会很爱你的 霍华德
Yeah, they’re gonna love you, Howard.
你是那么务实并且可靠
You’re so down-to-earth and relatable.
而你… 必将… 赎罪
And you…will…atone!
是《电视台风云》里尼德·巴蒂说的话
It’s Ned Beatty, from “Network.”
天呐 你们怎么什么都不知道
For christ’s sakes, guys.
吉米
Jimmy.
我差点忘了 这个月的法♥院♥立案
I almost forgot — this month’s filings.
可以帮我省下邮寄费了
You could save me the postage.
刚才你听到我说的话了吗
W-weren’t you listening in there?
查克已经不在这里工作了
Chuck doesn’t work here anymore.
你认为我会帮你建立书面记录吗
You think I’m gonna help you establish a paper trail?
-吉米 -不 别想把屎盆子往他身上扣
– Now, Jimmy — – No, stop trying to pawn that shit off on him.
吉米
Jimmy.
吉米 有时候在我们这行里
You know, Jimmy, sometimes, in our line of work,
容易被取胜的欲望冲昏头脑
you can get so… caught up in the idea of winning
却忘记倾听自己内心的声音
that you forget to listen to your heart.
替我向查克问好 好吗
Give Chuck my love, would you?
原来你在这里啊
Oh, there you are.
贝茜 克雷格
Betsy, Craig.
你好 好的
Hi. Okay.
你今天真漂亮
You look lovely today.
谢谢你这么说
Oh, thank you so much.
你能不能…
Couldn’t you just —
你明知我做不到
You know, I can’t.
狗♥娘♥养♥的
Son of a bitch!
你手♥机♥什么的放信箱了吗
Ground yourself?
是的 放了
Yes, I grounded myself.
你不能再买♥♥培根肉了
You got to stop putting bacon on the list,
因为冰箱看起来就像一锅炖旋毛虫
’cause that cooler’s looking like a trichinosis stew.
来得正好
Perfect timing.
“布兰斯·弗格森教授”
“Professor Brans Vogelson.”
“赫尔辛基大学”
“University of Helsinki”?
是的 你必须把这些翻译过来
Yeah, you’re gonna have to get that translated.
-翻译成瑞典语吗 -芬兰语
– Into Swedish? – Finnish.
芬兰语 翻译成…
Finnish, uh, translating into…
我相信新墨西哥大学会有人可以做到
I’m sure there’s someone at UNM who can do that.
你知道我打算开一间律师事务所 不是吗
You do know I’m trying to start a legal practice, right?
弗格森正在研究电磁场
Vogelson’s been working on the effects
对斑马鱼的影响 还有…
of electromagnetic fields on zebra fish — and, oh!
《金融时报》
Financial Times.
是啊 我知道你想看
Yeah, I knew you missed it,
所以我想 “管他呢”
so I figured, “What the heck?”
谢谢你 我知道这很贵
Thank you. I know it’s expensive.
拿着
Here.
不用 没关系的
That’s not — it’s all right.
-我可不希望你自掏腰包 -我…
– I don’t expect you to go out of pocket. – I…
拿去 你的酬劳
Go ahead — reimburse yourself.
谢谢
Thanks.
查克 你能不能先别看那个
Hey, Chuck, um, can you not read that for a second?
我们能谈谈吗
Can we talk?
你还好吗
Are you all right?
你看起来很憔悴
You look peaked.
我没事 请坐下
I’m fine. Please, just sit.
你没遇到麻烦
You’re not in trouble.
你得从律所撤股了
Um… You got to cash out.
必须得
You got to.
-又来了 不是吧 -没有别的选择了
– Again? Really? – There’s no other way.
我知道你不想听这些 可你必须这样做
I know that you don’t want to hear it, but you’ve got to.
你知道我能渡过这一劫
You know I’m going to beat this.
你知道我会好起来的
You know I’m going to get better.
-当然 -那么
– Yeah, sure. – Well, then,
就没什么好说的了
there’s nothing more to talk about.
我会渡过这一劫
I will beat this.
由此 从错误的原理推导[拉丁法律用语]
Ergo, a falsis principiis proficisci.
-意思是 -那不是…
– Meaning? – That’s not —
-意思是 -那是说原理错误 可我
– Meaning? – That’s the one about false principles, but it’s not —
你从错误的原理得出结论
You proceed from false principles.
你的辩论毫无根基
Your argument is built on quicksand.
因此也就不攻自破了
Therefore, it collapses.
对对 你没在听我说话
Yeah, yeah. You’re not listening.
好吧
Fine.
让我们得出合乎逻辑的结论
Let’s take this to its logical conclusion.
为了支付我的股份
In order to pay out my share,
假设我的合伙人会被迫清算律所
suppose my partners are forced to liquidate the firm.
-然后呢 -那是他们的问题
– Then what? – That’s their problem.
我的委托人会被扫地出门
My clients are out in the cold.
我的案子都要完蛋
My cases are scattered to the winds.
一百二十六个人会失业
126 people lose their jobs.
你那些收发室的好朋友该怎么办
What happens to your cronies in the mailroom,
还有那些律师 律师助理 保洁工人
the assistants, the paralegals, the janitorial staff?
全都会流落街头
All of them, out on the street.
你的好朋友金 一份好前途转眼成灰
Your friend Kim — a promising career — over and done with.
一切都是哈姆林欠你的
Hamlin owes you everything.
你一手打造了这间律所
You built that place single-handedly
他那时还在四山俱乐部练习沙坑球呢
while he was out at Four Hills working on his bunker shot.
不要说那么夸张 我是帮了忙而已
Let’s not exaggerate. I helped.
帮忙而已
You helped.
所以就更没必要为了点小钱
All the more reason not to tear it down
把这一切都毁了啊
just for a little bit of cash.
听我说 查克 我快完了 好吗
Look…Chuck, I’m going under — okay? —
第三次接手这些狗屁合约官司…
For the third time with these bull-crap contract counsel —
怎么是”狗屁”
“Bull crap”?
这些七百块一件的狗屁小公设律师活
Bull-crap, pissant P.D. cases at 700 bucks a shot.
公设辩护律师可是律师最难得的经历之一
Public-defender work is some of the best experience there is.
我刚刚经手一个案子 查克 三个委托人
I just had a case, Chuck, with three clients —
提讯 预审 庭审
Uh, arraignments, voir dire, jury trial
全套下来
The whole nine yards.
你知道我挣了多少钱吗 七百块
You know what I took home? 700 bucks.
还不如去贫民窟卖♥♥血赚得多
Yeah, I might as well head down to skid row and sell plasma.
你代表的都是些走投无路的人
You’re representing people who have nowhere else to turn.
钱不是问题
The money is beside the point.
钱就是问题
Money is not beside the point — money is the point.
我一直告诉你 要有耐心
I keep telling you — have patience.
没有捷径可走
There are no shortcuts.
把工作干好 自然会有委托人找上门
Do good work, and the clients will come.
自然会有委托人找上门 对 我明白
The clients will come. Yeah, I know.
好吧
Okay.
对天发誓
Hand to God,
我本不打算这样说 可你破产了
I wasn’t gonna say this, but you are broke.
我负担不了我们两个人
I can’t carry both of us.
我已经使出了吃奶的劲 可我做不到
I’ve been trying like hell, but I can’t.
你这是在说什么
Well, you’re saying what?
你以为我需要你来养吗
You think you have to provide for me?
我从没让你这样做
I never asked you that.
你根本不用开口 好吗
You didn’t have to ask, okay?
我已经尽我最大努力了
I’ve been doing my damnedest,
但我也快熬到头了
but the day of reckoning is here.
很快 查克 你就要流落街头了
Soon, Chuck, you’re gonna be out on the street

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!