下一站是布洛德街
The next stop is Broad Street.
下一站 布洛德街
Broad Street will be next.
上去 这边
Upstairs. This way.
他没从这里上来
He didn’t come up this way?
他不在上面 回去
He’s not up here. Go back down.
-抱歉 -抱歉
-Excuse me. -Excuse me.
在转角停车
Go ahead and park around the corner.
访客
Visitors.
你介意我拿假牙吗
Do you mind if I fetch my teeth?
上校 请转身
Colonel, would you turn around, please?
-在床上坐下 -过去
-Sit down on the bed. -Let’s go.
假牙在…在水槽里
They’re in the… The teeth are on the sink.
看着我 我们是联邦调查局的探员
Look at me. We are agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
看着我
Look at me!
我在跟你说话
I’m talking to you.
我们收到关于你从事间谍行动的情报
We’ve received information concerning your involvement in espionage.
你可以跟我们合作 否则就会被逮捕
You can either cooperate with us right now, or you’ll be under arrest.
你懂吗 上校
Do you understand, Colonel?
不 不太懂 你懂吗 上校
No, not really. Do you understand, Colonel?
不 不太懂
No, not really.
你为什么一直叫我”上校”
Why do you keep calling me “Colonel”?
你得穿好衣服
You need to get dressed.
我们必须搜查你的公♥寓♥
We have to search your apartment.
你们介意我清洗调色板吗
Would you mind if I cleaned my palette?
不然颜料会坏掉的
The paints, it’ll get ruined otherwise.
就在你后面
It’s just behind you there.
我自己有布
I have a cloth myself.
谢谢你
Thank you.
开始搜
Start searching the place.
谢谢你
Thank you.
好了 搜床单 床铺 地板 椅子
All right, search the mattress, the bed, the floorboards, his chair.
放烟灰缸里好吗
Would you put that in the ashtray…
-在窗台那里 -仔细搜那张桌子
-on the windowsill there? -Take a good look at that desk.
来看看桌子
Let’s see the desk.
我不想弄脏
Wouldn’t want to get this ruined.
别说”我的人”
Don’t say “my guy.”
他不是”我的人”
He’s not “my guy.”
他就是”你的人” 我们到底在说谁
Yes, he’s “your guy.” Who are we talking about?
我们说的是我的客户承保的人
We’re talking about a guy who was insured by my client.
所以不要把他当成”我的人”
So, don’t make him “my guy.”
好 好吧
Okay, fine.
我要说的是 你的客户承保的人
My point is, the guy insured by your client…
对于发生过的这些事并不否认
he doesn’t deny that any of these things happened.
“这些事”
“These things”?
对 五件事
Yes, these five things.
等等 慢着
Wait, hold it.
不是五件事
Not five things.
是一件事
One thing.
明明就是五件事
Clearly, it’s five things.
抱歉 我不觉得很明显
Well, I’m sorry, it’s not clear to me.
五件事 解释给我听
Five things? Explain it to me.
事实不辩自明
It’s self-evident.
好 那就告诉我发生什么事
Okay, then tell me what happened.
告诉我怎么会变成五件事
Tell me the story in a way that makes sense for five things.
好 当然 你的人…
Fine, absolutely. Your guy is…
不是我的人 我的客户承保的人
Not my guy. Insured by my client.
你客户承保的人在19号♥州立公路开车
The guy insured by your client is driving down State Highway 19…
失控撞到我的五个人
when he loses control of his car and hits my five guys…
这五个人雇用我 代表他们
the five guys who hired me to represent them…
因为你不支付赔偿金
because you’re not honoring your claim.
你是说我的保险公♥司♥客户不支付赔偿金
You mean my client is not honoring the claim, the insurance company?
唐纳文先生 我们都知道谁是谁
Mr. Donovan, we’re all clear on who’s who, here.
不过我的客户有支付赔偿金
Except my client honors every claim.
他们有 贝兹先生
They do, Mr. Bates.
这人的保单 每次合法赔偿
Every single legitimate claim, up to the limit of their liability…
责任限额为每次意外三百万元
which is $100,000 per accident, in the case of this man’s policy.
这算一次赔偿
And this is one claim.
根据你的描述”他撞我的五个人”
According to your description, “He hit my five guys”.
我客户承保的这个人出了一次意外
The guy insured by my client had one accident.
一次 一次 一次
One, one, one.
开车失控撞五名摩托骑手
Losing control of the car and hitting five motorcyclists.
在他们看来 出了五件事
From their point of view, five things happened.
听着 巴伯 我可以叫你巴伯吗
Well, look, Bob. May I? Bob?
我是吉姆
“Jim.”
如果我打保龄球击出全倒 就只算一件事
If I go bowling and I throw a strike, one thing happened.
不是十件事
10 things didn’t happen.
吉姆 我的人不是保龄球瓶
Jim, my guys aren’t bowling pins…
就算你的人是那样对他们的
as much as your guy may have treated them as such.
让我说完
Let me finish.
如果你替房♥子保了三百万的险 龙♥卷♥风♥把它卷走了
If your house is insured for $100,000 and a tornado carries it away…
它卷走的是一栋房♥子
it carried away one house.
不是每一样家具
It didn’t pick up every stick of furniture…
再另行摧毁
and destroy it in a separate incident.
如果照你那样说
If that is what you’re saying…
责任赔偿就永远没有上限
well, then there is never any limit to our liability…
保险业也做不下去了
and that is the end of the insurance business.
这样的话 巴伯 没有人是安全的
And then, Bob, nobody is safe.
律师事务所
瓦特斯 考文唐纳文事务所 请问要转接给哪位
Watters, Cowan and Donovan. How may I direct your call?
早安 唐纳文先生
Morning, Mr. Donovan.
早安 艾莉森
Good morning, Alison.
先生 我将您九点与保德信人寿的会议改期了
I moved your 9 a.m. with Prudential, sir.
为什么
Why did you do that?
是我叫她改的
I asked her to.
没事吧 汤姆
Is everything all right, Tom?
东西交给艾莉森 进来吧
Why don’t you leave your stuff with Alison. Come on inside.
有要事发生 有人来见我们
Something pretty important has come up. Somebody’s here to see us.
娜塔莉会帮你倒咖啡
Natalie’s getting your coffee.
雀巢咖啡 奶精 两颗糖 对吧
Nescafé, cream, two lumps, right?
没错 谢谢
That’s right. Thanks.
-林恩 -吉姆
-Lynn! -Jim!
很高兴又见面了 家人都好吗
Nice to see you again. How’s the family?
好 很好 谢谢 安妮好吗
Great, good. Thanks. How’s Annie?
她都要杀人了 因为公公婆婆要来过节
Homicidal. We had the in-laws for the holiday.
如果她真要干 会有个好律师的
If she acts on it, she’ll have good representation.
有什么事
Now, what’s up?
好 是这样的
Okay, here’s the thing.
我们要你替他们抓到的苏联间谍辩护
The Soviet spy they caught, we want you to defend him.
这是起诉内容
Here’s the indictment.
我不确定我想不想看
I’m not sure I wanna pick that up.
被告不认识任何律师
The accused doesn’t know any lawyers.
联邦法庭丢给我们
The federal court tossed it into our lap.
律师委员会投票
The Bar Committee took a vote.
全体一致通过选你
You’re the unanimous choice.
这对我们很重要…
It was important to us…
对我们的国家很重要 吉姆
It’s important to our country, Jim…
让这个人公开获得公平审判
that this man is seen as getting a fair shake.
美国的司法将受到检视
American justice will be on trial.
当然 照你的说法 能被委托是一种荣幸
Of course, when you put it that way, it’s an honor to be asked.
可是林恩 我是保险律师 好几年没碰刑法了
But, Lynn, I’m an insurance lawyer. I haven’t done criminal work in years.
这就像骑车 学过就不会忘
It’s like riding a bike, isn’t it?
你在纽伦堡的审判表现出色
You distinguished yourself at Nuremberg.
我那时是检方
I was on the prosecution team.
那不是重点
Not the point.
你对刑法也不是不熟
You’re no stranger to criminal law.
吉姆 看看这个情况
Jim, look at the situation.
这个人千夫所指
The man is publicly reviled.
我也会被唾弃
And I will be, too.
那是因为那群人无知
Yes, in more ignorant quarters.
但这就是非做不可的原因 而且要做得好
But that’s exactly why this has to be done, and capably done.
不能让我们的司法系统 看起来像是在草菅人命

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
前一篇文章最长的旅程
下一篇文章大空头
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!