then you act and speak and think
in this other environment totally different.
然后又在另一个环境里用另外的方式做、说和想。
And then another way of acting
and speaking and thinking in the other one.
举个例子,我女朋友,她是个漂亮、有活力的,
For instance, my girlfriend,
who was a beautiful, wholesome,
非常好的人,
wonderful person,
我从没把她带回家过。
I never brought her home.
我从不带任何朋友回家,尽量不带。
I never brought any friends home,
if I could help it.
我把这些事情绝对分开。
And I kept things very separate.
我也不想我的父母去我的毕业典礼,
And I did not want my parents
to go to my graduation,
但总而言之他们还是去了。
but they went anyway.
我只是,呣,害怕有什么事情会穿帮
I just, um, was afraid
of what would come out
如果所有人都聚在一起的话。
if everybody got together.
出于某些原因,
For some reason,
我一直喜欢去波士顿的想法。
I always liked the idea
of going to Boston.
那里听上去象是个好地方。
And it just sounded
like, uh, a good place.
我爸帮我把所有东西都搬进去,
And my father helped me
move everything in,
然后他带我去超♥市♥,
and then he took me to the supermarket,
我们买♥♥了一大堆东西
and we stocked up on a lot of stuff
带回到公♥寓♥里。
and brought it back to the apartment.
然后我和我爸走出去
And then I walked out with my dad
在街头和他说再见
and said good-bye to him on the street
看他驾车离开。
and watched him drive off.
然后我回到我的公♥寓♥。
Then I went back in my apartment.
我从不离开。
And I never left.
那是开学前两个星期。
It was two weeks before school.
我有一台晶体管收音机,
I had a transistor radio,
于是有时我听音乐,
so I sometimes listened to music,
而我就住在了椅子里。
but I ended up sitting in a chair.
我唯一从椅子里起身的时间
And the only time I got out of the chair
就是,呃,撒尿和吃东西。
was to, uh, pee or eat.
收音机的电池不断消耗又消耗
And the batteries
went down and down on the radio,
所以我只能把它举到耳朵边来听,
so I had to hold it to my ear to hear it,
到后来就变成一片死寂。
and then it went dead.
因此我基本上无法做任何事情
And so I was just basically
really unable to do anything
真的无法离开那间公♥寓♥。
and definitely unable
to leave the apartment.
我要说我是鼓起所有勇气
And I say it took all my strength
在开学那天去了学校。
to go to school the first day.
那是某种我必须经受的事,我想。
So, it was something
I needed to go through, I guess.
但我还是…呣…宁愿待在家里。
But I still, um, would
much rather stay at home.
有一种,呃,与生俱来的,
And there is, uh, always, um,
对外出的心理恐惧。
nervousness of going out.
再见,玛丽。
See you, Mary.
我很少出门。
I don’t get out much.
走吧。
Come on.
走吧。
Come on.
我爸爸,呃,告诉我,我应该把这个地方收拾一下,
My father, uh, told me, you know,
I could get this place,
但我不得不去找个室友,
but I had to take a roommate,
后来我的室友是彼得·伍尔夫
and my roommate later turned out
to be Peter Wolf
J. 吉尔乐队的成员。
of the J. Geils Band.
他是个了不起的音乐家。
He’s a great musician.
他精通蓝调音乐。
And he knows the blues.
但他永远都不会去举起一把刷子。
But he didn’t ever lift a brush.
第一天晚上,有一个,呣,
And the first night, there was, um,
另一个叫彼得的,他有辆皮卡,
another guy named Peter
who had a pickup truck.
我们三个人坐进他的皮卡
And the three of us, uh,
got in his pickup truck
开回纽约的布鲁克林
and drove back down
to, uh, New York City, in Brooklyn.
在旅途中
And it was on that trip
我第一次抽了,呃,大♥麻♥,
that I smoked, um, marijuana
for the first time.
然后轮到我开车。
And then it was my turn to drive.
于是我在高速公路上开着车
So I was driving on a freeway
很快我听到,“大卫”?
and pretty soon I hear, “David?”
我说,“什么”?
And I said, “what?”
他们说,“大卫”。
And they said, “David.”
我说,“什么”?
I said, “what?”
“大卫”!
“David!”
“你把车停在高速公路上了,伙计”。
“You stopped on the freeway, man.”
原来我把车停在…
And I had stopped right in the…
不是右道,而是路中间。
Not the right lane, but in the middle.
因为我看着这些白线
‘Cause I was watching these white lines
车越来越慢,越来越慢,就像在做梦。
and then it got slower and slower,
it was such a dream.
后来一次我抽大♥麻♥…
And the next time I smoked dope…
呃,鲍勃·迪伦正在演奏,知道么,
uh, Bob Dylan was playing, you know,
在街头一个挺大的地方。
at this big place right down the street.
瞧,看呀,
And so, lo and behold,
成千上万的人在里面,
out of thousands of people
in this, you know,
大礼堂之类的地方,观众席是很陡的斜坡。
auditorium kind of thing
which was real steep.
我一直往后走。
I was way in the back.
走过所有这些座位,当我坐下来,
Out of all those seats, when I sat down,
有个姑娘正好坐在我旁边,那会我刚刚跟女朋友分手。
there was this girl sitting next to me
that I’d just broken up with.
然后鲍勃·迪伦上台了,
Then Bob Dylan came out on the stage
我简直不敢相信他有多渺小。
and I couldn’t believe how little he was.
我把手指放在膝盖上丈量他,
And I measured him
with my fingers on my knee,
对她说,“他的上衣只有这么一点大”,
and I said to her,
‘his jeans are only this big.”
我根本不喜欢那些音乐,隔着太远了。
And I wasn’t even digging the music,
it was so far away.
因此我想从那个鬼地方出去。
So I wanted to get out of there
really bad.
当音乐会结束的时候,彼得和他一大帮朋友回来,
Then when the concert was over,
Peter came back with a bunch of his friends.
他说,“没人会在迪伦音乐会上退席”。
He said, “nobody walks out on Dylan.”
我说,“我退席了。从我这滚出去!”
I said, “I walk out on Dylan.
Get the fuck out of here.”
于是,呣,这和彼得的室友关系从此结束了。
And, um, so that was the end
of Peter as my roomie.
我只是不想去,
I just didn’t wanna be,
你知道,这世界上的任何地方。
you know, anywhere in this world.
这里,你知道,现在成了我的世界。
It was, you know, now my world.
我讨厌波士顿。
I hated Boston.
波士顿博物馆学院就像是…
Boston Museum School was kind of like…
对我来说就像回到了高中。
to me like going back to high school.
我不喜欢那幢建筑里的任何东西,除了雕刻部。
I didn’t like anything inside that building
except the sculpture department.
他们什么都不干,除了让我做那些练习。
They don’t do anything
except make you do these exercises.
那就是做苦工。
And it’s just drudgery.
他们希望将这些练习作为一种确定的方法,
And they want the exercises
to be a certain way,
如果你的方法不是那种方法,
and if your way isn’t that way,
你就会,知道么…你就会从艺术学校退学。
you’re just gonna, you know…
You’re gonna flunk out of art school.
真是笑话。
It’s a joke.
那样就没有孩子认真对待绘画。
And then no kids
were serious about painting.
因此,某种程度上就象荒废了一年
So, it was just, uh,
a kind of a waste of a year,
于是我逃学。
and I quit going to school.
后来我收到杰克的信。他厌倦了库柏联合学院。
And then I heard from Jack.
He was fed up with Cooper Union.
我更厌倦波士顿博物馆学院。
I was more than fed up
with Boston Museum School.
我们决定我们要去欧洲。
And we decided we’re gonna go to Europe.
为此,我们开始制订计划,
So, we started making plans,
我们发现了这个人,奥斯卡·科柯施卡,
and we found out this guy,
Oskar Kokoschka,
在奥地利的萨尔茨堡开了这门课。
had this class in Salzburg, Austria.
于是我们决定去那里上学。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!