有时一个人生活过的小城 就是他的整个世界
In a time when one’s town was one’s world…
参加舞会比参加军队
and the actions at a dance excited greater interest…
给他带来了更多的乐趣
than the movement of armies,
就有这么一位姑娘,她深知怎样来生活
there lived a young woman who knew how this world should be run.
世上最美的事莫过于一场完美的结合
The most beautiful thing in the world is a match well made…
一场带给双方快乐的婚姻
and a happy marriage to you both.
谢谢你,Emma,你画得越来越好了
Thank you, Emma. Your painting grows more accomplished every day.
谢谢,但还可以更好的…
You are very kind, but it would be all the better…
如果我听你的话,勤加练习的话
if I practiced my drawing more as you urged me.
真美
It’s very beautiful.
我说不出那点不好,Miss Woodhouse
I should never take side against you, Miss Woodhouse,
你的朋友说得对
but your friend is right.
你画的真好
It is indeed a job well done.
真的不错,Mr.Elton,你把婚礼主持的不错
A job well done, Mr. Elton, was yours in performing the ceremony.
教堂得通风良好吧,Mr. Elton?
Must the church be so drafty, Mr. Elton?
我们很难虔心祈祷
It is very difficult to surrender the soul…
如果我们要为自己的嗓子担心的话
when one is worried about one’s throat.
也许喝点茶,吃点蛋糕会让你好受点 Mr. Woodhouse?
Perhaps some tea and cake would revive you, Mr. Woodhouse?
Miss Taylor,你不会在婚礼上 让我们吃蛋糕吧?
Miss Taylor, surely you’re not serving cake at your wedding?
那太多脂肪了,你不是害我们吗 可不止我一人有这种想法
Far too rich. You put us all at peril. And I am not alone in feeling so.
那位药剂师Mr. Perry到哪去了? 他会给我说句公道话
Where is Mr. Perry, the apothecary? He will support me.
Mr. Woodhouse,他就在那吃蛋糕呢
He is over there, Mr. Woodhouse, having some cake.
什么?
What?
我得带爸爸会去了,不过 Miss Taylor
I have to take Father home. But dear Miss Taylor…
Oh,no!
Oh, no!
你再也不是“亲爱的Taylor小姐了” 你现在是“亲爱的Weston太太了”
You are “Dear Miss Taylor” no more! You are dear Mrs. Weston now.
你多幸福呀
And how happy this must make you.
我们也很快乐
Such happiness this brings to all of us.
亲爱的 Emma!
My dear Emma!
可怜的Miss Taylor,她在这多该高兴呀
Poor Miss Taylor. She was so happy here.
她为什选择结婚而放弃做你的老师呢?
Why should she give up being your governess only to be married?
我已经长大了
I am grown now.
她不能老是忍♥受我说的恶意笑话
She cannot put up with my ill humors forever.
-她是想有自己的孩子 -你说的笑话也没有恶意
– She must wish for children of her own. – You have no ill humors.
你的母亲呢,原上帝让她安息吧
Your own mother, God rest her,
could be no more real和Miss Taylor一样 than Miss Taylor
could be no more real than Miss Taylor.
她又是否真的愿意要一个哭哭啼啼的孩子呢
Can she truly wish to give life to a mewling infant…
每次从外面回来,孩子还会带回来很多病菌
who will import disease each time it enters the house?
我只能说Miss Taylor很可怜了,真的可怜
No! I said poor Miss Taylor and poor, indeed, she is.
作为你们家的老朋友,我倒想问一下
As an old friend of the family I had to ask as soon as I got back:
在婚礼上谁哭的稀里哗啦的
Who cried the most at the wedding?
我的姐姐怎么样了?你兄弟对她好吗?
And how is my sister? Is your brother giving her the respect…
我们Woodhouse家的小姐可受得起尊敬?
we Woodhouse ladies deserve?
可怜的 lsabella.她第一个离开了我
Poor Isabella. She was the first to leave me.
没错,现在Miss Taylor也准备这么做了
No doubt, that is where Miss Taylor got the notion to go.
别这么说Miss Taylor
Don’t be too hard on Miss Taylor.
一个已经让她受不了了,别说又来一个
It must be easier for her to have only one to please than two.
是呀,特别是我们有人还这么难缠
Especially when one of us is such a troublesome creature.
对,我就是最难缠的
Yes, I am… most troublesome.
亲爱的爸爸,我可不是说你
Dear Papa, I could never mean you.
Mr. Knightley就是喜欢挑我们的毛病
Mr. Knightley loves to find fault with me, that’s all.
他是在说笑话
It’s his idea of a joke.
实际上我算是你的兄弟,Emma
I’m practically a brother to you, Emma.
可是兄弟会挑妹妹的毛病吗?
Is it not a brother’s job to find fault with his sister?
不过你那里有毛病?
But where is the fault with you?
Emma 还好,不过失去 Miss Taylor让她很难受
Emma bears it well. But she is most sorry to lose Miss Taylor.
如果她对朋友不是这样 我们也不会喜欢Emma
We would not like Emma so well as we do if she did not miss her friend.
谢谢
Thank you.
我真的会想念她
I shall miss her so.
没有她我不知道怎么办
I do not know what I shall do without her.
– 她住得不远 – 有半英里了
– She’s not far. – Almost half a mile!
她得对那个家负责了
Her obligations are there now.
再也不能像从前那样和我谈话了
She cannot sit and talk with me in the old way,
也不能和我散步,督促我进步了
or walk with me, or urge me to better myself.
只要你自己用功就行了
That should not matter as you always did just as you pleased.
是的,但我就是怀念她对我的督促
Yes. But I shall miss her urging me.
她是一个无私的朋友
She was as selfless a friend as I have ever had.
我希望某一天我也能对朋友这样
I hope to say someday I have done half as much for someone…
就像Mrs Weston对我的那样
as Mrs. Weston did for me.
她能安定下来,你肯定也很高兴
You must be happy that she settled so well.
当然
Indeed!
快乐的一个因素是 这次是我给他们做的媒
One matter of joy in this is that I made the match myself.
人们那时候都说 Mr Weston是不会结婚的了
People said Mr. Weston would never marry again.
– 这真是一场胜利 – 胜利?
– And what a triumph. – Triumph?
– 你自己猜想的吧 – 难道猜想不可以由胜利吗?
– You made a lucky guess. – Have you never known the triumph of a lucky guess?
难道我没有使得Weston来得更勤吗
Had I not promoted Mr. Weston’s visits…
而且在他需要鼓励的时候,给了他鼓励
and given encouragement where encouragement was needed,
要不然今天也许没有这场婚礼了
we might not have had a wedding today.
哦,亲爱的,你的鼓励就到此为止了吧
Then please, my dear, encourage no one else.
婚姻对一个人的社交生活来说 真是太多麻烦了
Marriage is so disrupting to one’s social circle.
再来一个吧,爸爸
Only one more, Papa.
今天Mr.Elton来的时候
When Mr. Elton joined their hands today,
他好像也想让别人替他帮帮忙
he looked very much as if he would like the same kind office performed for him.
邀他来吃晚餐吧,这已经够好的了
Invite him for dinner. That is kindness enough.
Mr. Elton 都26岁了,他知道照顾自己
Mr. Elton is a man of 26. He knows how to take care of himself.
你不该这么判断,Mr. Knightley
One does not like to generalize about so many people all at once, Mr. Knightley,
不过你可相信,男人可不知自己心里所想
but you may be sure that men know nothing about their hearts…
whether they be six and twenty or six and eighty.
当然出了你,爸爸
Excepting you, of course, Father.
不行
No.
我还得帮Mr Elton一下
Mr. Elton will be the next person to benefit from my help.
可怜的MIss Taylor
Poor Miss Taylor, indeed!
Mr. Elton才值得我们同情呢
It is Mr. Elton who deserves our pity.
Mr. Elton!
Mr. Elton!
欢迎
Welcome to our party.
Miss Woodhouse,谢谢你邀请我
Miss Woodhouse, thank you indeed for including me.
宴会就是宴会,但这可是春末夏初的宴会呀
A party is a party. But a party on a summer’s eve, mmm!
你来这,我真的感觉好多了
It relieves my mind very much that you are here.
因为我们这来了位新朋友 Harriet Smith
For there is someone new in our group. Her name is Harriet Smith.
她以前是 Mrs. Goddard的学生
And she is a former pupil of Mrs. Goddard’s.
我以前还没见过 Miss Smith呢
I had never met Miss Smith before this evening…
我已经被她迷住了
and I’m already struck by her charm.
我想问你…
I wondered if I might ask you…
你能不能使她在宴会上不拘谨
to make certain she is at ease throughout the evening.
如果帮助MIss Smith 能帮助Miss Woodhouse的话
If helping Miss Smith would help Miss Woodhouse,
那我很乐意效劳
then I’m happy to be of service.
来吧,我来替你们介绍
Come. I shall make the introduction.
Miss Woodhouse接到邀请 我们真是受宠若惊
Miss Woodhouse, we come quite overpowered.
哦,Mrs. Bates,Miss Bates 真高兴你们能来
Oh, Mrs. Bates, Miss Bates. So happy you could come.
不,高兴的应该是我们
No! We are the happy ones.
你好,Mr. Elton?
W-Well, how do you do, Mr. Elton?
我们搞兴,不仅是因为到这里来
We are the happy ones, not only to be here tonight,
还因为你送给我们的猪肉
but for the beautiful hindquarter of pork you sent us.
真是好极了,应该是怎样的一头猪呀
It has been heaven itself. What a happy porker it must have come from!
太感谢了
We’re so obliged for your sending it to us.
是猪肉!能邀请我们,真是太荣幸了
Pork! And we’re so obliged for your having us tonight.
真的,我正要告诉妈妈 我们应该感谢你,真的应该
Very much indeed. I was just saying to Mother, we should be obliged and indeed we are.
你的头发真漂亮,不是吗?真♥象♥天使
Oh, doesn’t your hair look pretty? Just like an angel.
是天使,妈妈!
Angel, Mother!
说起天使,Mr. Elton
Oh, speaking of angels, Mr. Elton,
你在Daniel的狮笼做的那番训诫 真是激动人心
your sermon on Daniel in the lion’s den was so inspiring.
让我们只有张大嘴惊讶的份了
So powerful in all its particulars. It left us speechless.
真的是这样,这些天我们一直在谈论
Quite speechless, I tell you. We have not stopped talking of it since.
真是不错的宴会呀
Isn’t this a lovely party?
不错,不错,真不错
Lovely! Lovely! Lovely!
你结束学业后住在哪里?
Where will you live now that you’ve completed your education?
Mrs. Goddard 让我和她住在一块
Mrs. Goddard has been kind enough to let me stay on with her.
– 她对我帮助很大,失陪一下 – Mrs. Goddard
– She’s a great help to me. If you’ll excuse me. – Mrs. Goddard.
– Mr. Knightley – 啊,Emma. 我这在想你到哪去了呢
– Mr. Knightley. – Ah, Emma. I wondered where you were.
现在我才清楚 你真在努力工作照顾Mr. Elton
But now I see you’ve been hard at work making Mr. Elton comfortable.
是的,不过有件事我却没有做好

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!