是一本史诗巨作!
It’s mammoth!
麦克斯说
Max says…
唯一值得深掘 延展的命题 便是伟大的想法
the only ideas worth writing about are the big ideas.
想法要伟大 但话要精简
Big ideas, fewer words.
看吧 如果没有他 我早就迷失自我了
You see, I’m lost without him.
谁说不是呢?你知道我也是个作家吧?
Aren’t we all? You know I’m a writer, too?
真的吗?
That so?
– 麦克斯没告诉你? – 嗯
– Max didn’t tell you? – Yes
我正在写一出戏剧剧本 已经写了好长一段时间了
I’ve been working on a play for quite some time now.
是关于波林 也就是拿破仑的姐姐的
It’s about Pauline, Napoleon’s sister.
是一出历史剧 对吧?
Historical pageant, is it?
差不多 但我想加更多现代的元素进去
Well, it’s attempting to be more modern.
我之前也写过戏剧
I wrote a play once.
但并不是什么美好的经历
It was not a happy experience. I can tell you that.
我觉得戏剧非常平淡
I found it an anemic form…
缺少散文所带来的层次感
lacking the multi-colored cloak of prose.
所以我放弃这种形式 回来写小说了
So I dumped the form and returned to my novels.
你的新书想好用什么书名了吗?
Do you have a title for your new book?
你♥爸♥爸和我已经想出不少好名字了
Your daddy and I have considered a bunch.
现在我们比较倾向于《时光与河流》
Right now we’re thinking about Of Time and the River.
“河流”这个词能让我想起自己的父亲
“The River” ’cause that word just reminds me of my father.
河流从他门前缓缓流过 几经波折又流回到原来的地方
The river running away from his door and right back again.
听上去这本书应该也挺长的吧
That sounds like quite a long book.
别这么说 艾琳
Don’t say that, Aline.
我明天就回来
I’ll see you tomorrow.
记住要打扮好来接我
Keep yourself ready for me.
晚安 晚安
Goodnight. Goodnight.
这样你应该能睡得舒服点
This should do you nicely.
明早见
I’ll see you in the morning.
麦克斯
Max.
谢谢今晚的款待
Thank you for tonight.
希望我没有冒犯到大家
I hope I didn’t offend anyone.
我非常想让你的家人喜欢我
I so want your family to like me.
不用担心 你做的很好
Don’t worry. Of course not.
我不是个小丑
I’m not a circus animal.
我知道 自己有时候看起来像个疯子
See, I know I seem like a freak.
说话大声
Too loud…
表现浮夸 像个喜欢说大话的瘾君子
too grandiose, not quite real.
但我就是这样的人
That’s who I am.
我就是这么从阿什维尔出来的
That’s how I got out of Asheville, by making noise.
一路拼到了现在
I thrashed my way out.
但我和其他人一样 也有感情
But I feel things like a real person.
所以…
So…
…以下的话 是发自我那一颗卡利班的内心
from Caliban’s heart, I say this.
我这一辈子 从没交过朋友
In all my life, well, till I met you…
直到我遇见了你
I never had a friend.
如果我们今天能把本的死因确定下来
If we nail down Ben’s death today…
那么我们离修订完成就不远了
then, hell, we’re within hollering distance of the end.
艾琳!
Aline!
麦克斯
Max.
我来介绍一下 她就是伯恩斯坦夫人
Let me introduce you. This is Mrs. Bernstein.
你好吗?
How do you do?
珀金斯先生
Mr. Perkins.
汤姆成天都在提到你
Tom has told me so much about you.
她是第一个告诉我 我的作品是有价值的人
She’s the first person who told me my writing was worth anything.
她是我坚持下来的理由 我们的书因她而诞生
Hell, she’s the whole reason for our book.
多谢
I thank you for that.
昨晚说好一起去的
We were expected last night.
我不是告诉你了吗…
Oh, I told you…
你让我好尴尬
it was embarrassing for me.
你知道我讨厌参加那些戏剧活动
You know I hate those theatrical affairs.
那你也应该知道 我不想一个人去
And you know I didn’t want to go alone.
打扰一下
If you’ll excuse me.
那些演员都让我感觉很不自在
All those actors make me feel awkward.
这你是知道的!
You know that!
我告诉过你 我是不会去的
I told you I wasn’t gonna come.
我们两个人的时候再谈
We will continue this alone.
我两点的时候去找你
I’ll come by around 2:00.
两点 好极了 谢谢
2:00. Perfect. Thanks.
走吧
Come on.
祝你愉快 珀金斯先生
Good day, Mr. Perkins.
你刚刚对我好凶
You are so mad at me.
不 我才没有 我没生气
No, I’m not. I’m not mad at you.
– 终于完成了 – 嗯
– There it is. – Well
这是去印刷厂前最后的机会了
This is our last chance before we go to the printer.
我再问你一遍
So I’ll ask you again.
你有想好其他书名吗?
Have you thought about another title?
你肯定不会喜欢的
You’ll hate it.
说来听听
Try me.
[《天使,望故乡》]
[托马斯·乌尔夫]
现在我成斯克里布纳公♥司♥的畅销书作者了
Now, I’m a Scribner’s bestseller…
我觉得我有理由好好给自己放个假
I figured I deserve a little of the high life.
再说一遍卖♥♥出去多少本 麦克斯
Say it again, Max.
– 这个月卖♥♥出一万五千本 – 噢
– 15,000 copies this month. – Oh.
– 艾琳 你听到了吗? – 嗯哼
– Aline, you hear that? – Well
即使是现在整个国家的经济
Not even the economy of the entire country…
都受到冲击 但是我的书还是这么畅销
crumbling around our ankles is hurting my book.
你有看过汤姆的书吗 伯恩斯坦夫人?
Have you read Tom’s book, Mrs. Bernstein?
当然 珀金斯先生 为这本书我也花了不少心血
Yes, Mrs. Perkins, it’s dedicated to me.
如果没有我可爱的爱人 就不会有我的今天
I wouldn’t have been able to do it without my sweet Jewess.
纸笔都是她帮我买♥♥的
She bought the paper and the pencils.
– 打字员的钱也是她帮我付的 – 够了
– And paid for the typist. – That’s enough.
– 别说了 – 她给我提供住的地方
– That’s enough. – She put a roof over my head…
填满我这食量惊人的肚子
and food in my prodigious belly.
大家都知道我有多喜欢吃
Hell, y’all know how much I love to eat.
你一定对这本书很引以为傲
You must be very proud of the book…
因为你对他的信任终于得到了回报
to see all your faith rewarded.
我们的信任
Our faith.
现在应该讲“我们的信任”不是吗 珀金斯先生?
It’s our faith now, isn’t it, Mr. Perkins?
没有你 汤姆是没办法完成这本书的
Tom couldn’t have done it without you.
没这回事
That’s not true.
在我面前 你不必故作谦虚
You needn’t play at humble pie with me.
汤姆每次提起你对这本书的贡献 都充满了激♥情♥
Tom speaks of your contribution with such passion.
他无时无刻都把你挂念在嘴上
He really can’t seem to stop talking about you.
“麦克斯说这个 麦克斯说那个”
“Max says this. Max says that.”
– 冷静点 亲爱的 别这样 – “麦克斯 麦克斯 麦克斯”
– Easy, girl. Easy, girl. – “Max, Max, Max.”
我们应该把一切都归功于珀金斯先生
No, we should give Mr. Perkins all of the credit.
毕竟 是他这个天才
I mean, after all, he is the genius…
帮助你实现了自己的所有梦想
who made all of your dreams come true.
是他帮你将那一大段杂乱无章的文字 整合成现在…
He’s the one who shaped that massive collection of words into a…
市场上的畅销书
into a marketable bestseller…
让它得以满足世界各地的读者 对文学的渴望
putting it into the eager hands of readers everywhere.
这对于珀金斯先生来说 可是个不小的荣誉啊 不是吗?
I mean, that is quite a triumph for Mr. Perkins, hmm?
这本书是汤姆写的 这一切都是他应得的
The work is Tom’s. He deserves to enjoy it.
真的吗?这真的是汤姆应得的?
Really? Is that what Tom deserves?
不要再烦麦克斯了
Leave Max alone.
我没在跟你说话 我在跟你的长辈说话
I’m not speaking to you, I’m speaking to your elder.
你应该学会信任自己的长辈 因为他们懂的比你多
You should learn to trust your elders. They know what’s best.
他们也应该懂得如何言行 才算符合他们的身份
They should also behave in a manner appropriate to their years.
你是托马斯·乌尔夫吗?
You’re Thomas Wolfe?
我正在读你的书 真是一本杰作
I’m reading your book. It’s a masterpiece.
真的吗?
Is it, now?
当然 写得非常好
Very much.
听我说 我有几个朋友 非常想认识你
Look, um, I have some friends who are dying to meet you.
你们不会介意 我占用他几分钟时间吧?
You don’t mind if I steal him for a tick or two?
– 当然没关系 – 不 当然不介意
– Of course you don’t. – Oh, not at all.
– 你先请 – 好的 我叫威洛
– After you. – Okay. I’m Willow.
– 很高兴认识你 – 这是我的荣幸
– Nice to meet you. – What a pleasure.
晚上好
Good evening.
– 这位就是托马斯·乌尔夫 – 不 认识你是我的荣幸
– This is Thomas Wolfe. – No, it’s my pleasure.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!