我永远都达不到那种境界
I will never be good enough.
你早就知道了 教练
And you knew it, Coach.
我只会卖♥♥玉米 教练
I sell maize, Coach. I sell maize!
我知道该怎么卖♥♥
I know how to do that.
但你看看我现在的样子
But now you see me.
看看西洋棋对我造成的伤害
See how chess has disturbed me.
我永远也掌握不了它
I will never belong to it!
这也永远不会是属于我的舞台
And this will never be my place!
菲欧娜 菲欧娜
Phiona. Phiona.
输掉比赛并不意味着你就是个失败者
Losing does not mean you’re a failure.
你需要的只是多加练习
It just takes time, that’s all.
是毅力 明白吗 那才是制胜的关键
Stamina. Eh? That is the key.
我真希望你从没教过我下棋
I wish you had never taught me this game!
菲欧娜 菲欧娜
Phiona, Phiona.
嘿 菲欧娜 最近过得怎么样
Hey, Phiona! How is your life?
我是罗伯特.卡滕德
Robert Katende.
卡滕德先生 我是东非污水处理公♥司♥的威尔逊
Mr. Katende, Wilson of East Africa Sewerage on the line.
你好 威尔逊先生
Oh, Mr. Wilson.
我终于帮你找到一个职位
Finally, I have a position for you.
我聘请你做我们公♥司♥的工程主管
I can bring you in as an engineering supervisor.
主管
Supervisor?
我很乐意向你提供一个
I’m happy to offer you something that…
可以改变你人生轨迹的工作
will make a big difference in your life.

Ho!
卡滕德先生
Uh, Mr. Katende…
星期一能来上班吗
can I expect you Monday?

Uh…
谢谢你的邀请 先生
Thank you. Thank you for the offer, sir.

Uh…
能给我一天时间 我想和家人商量一下 好吗
May I have a day to discuss it with my family?
菲欧娜 别灰心
Phiona! Don’t mind.
下次再把那个奖杯赢回来
Next time you win that trophy, eh?
教练
Coach…
你告诉我 当大雨降临时 要制定一个计划
You told us to make a plan for when the rains came.
但是在一个没有屋顶 四面没有墙的地方
But how can I plan when there is no roof…
我马上就回来 你明白吗
I’ll return later. Do you understand?
明白吗 -明白
Do you understand? -Yes.
再见 理查
Bye, Richard.
你该如何制定计划
…when there are no walls?
大水根本就不在乎我的计划
The water does not care about my plan.
大水可以冲走一切
The water takes anything it wants.
奈特 奈特
Night! Night!
奈特
Night!
布莱恩 布莱恩
Brian! Brian!
救命
Help me!
救命
Help me!
理查 -理查
Richard! -Richard!
理查
Richard!
妈妈 把理查给我
Mama, give me Richard.
背好他
You hold him!
奈特 奈特
Night! Night!
告诉我 我应该怎么下 教练
Tell me how I should have played, Coach.
奈特
Night!
跟我走
You come with me!
我马上就要回来的
I was coming back.
你本应该看好理查的
You were supposed to watch Richard!
可你去哪儿了
Where were you?
我只离开了几分钟 他当时好好的
I left only a few minutes. He was tied in.
别再说话了
Do not speak a word!
妈妈 不要碰我的东西
Mama! Put down my things!
妈妈 妈妈 对不起
Mama! Mama, I’m sorry!
为什么 为什么
Why? Why?
你不是已经不认我这个妈了吗
Have I not already lost one child?
妈妈 对不起
Mama, I’m sorry!
别这样 妈妈
Don’t, Mama! Don’t!
妈妈 我怀孕了
Mama, I’m pregnant.
什么
What?

Hey…
再过不久 就会有男人来追我
Very soon, men will start coming after me.
我的安全格在哪儿 教练
Where is my safe square, Coach?
你会找到的
You are finding it.
你不一定要重蹈奈特的覆辙
You do not have to travel down the same path as Night.
你有机会选择自己的道路
You have a chance to make your own.
而且你很坚强
And you are strong.
我害怕有些事是命中注定的
I fear certain things will never change.
你是代表乌干达去参加奥林匹克的
You are the youngest ever player
最年轻的选手
to take Uganda to the Chess Olympiad.
这就是改变啊
Things are changing.
可是我的人生一成不变
My life is the same.
菲欧娜
Phiona.
我妈妈还在上高中时就怀上了我
My mother had me when she was still in high school.
她甚至不敢告诉我爸爸
She couldn’t even present me to my father
因为他已婚
because he had another family
所以都是不同的姑妈在照顾我
so I was moved from aunty to aunty.
我第一次和妈妈相见
The first time I met my mother,
是我6岁的时候
I was six years old.
我当时根本就不敢相信她就是我妈妈
And I could hardly believe she was the one.
一直以来 大家都叫我卡滕德
I had always been called Katende.
是她告诉我 我的名字是罗伯特
She was the one who told me my name was Robert.
罗伯特.卡滕德 我是你妈妈
Robert Katende, I’m your mother.
我跟她一起生活了两年
I stayed with her for two years.
她成了我的全世界
And she became my everything.
然后 那个星期六
Then, this one Saturday…
我的外婆哭着喊着妈妈的名字
my grandmother came crying Mother’s name.
那一刻 我就意识到
And I knew, in that moment, that…
妈妈死了
Mama had died.
我又一次失去了她
I lost her for a second time.
我跟你一样 也以为这一切都没办法改变
I, too, thought things could never change.
但事实恰恰相反
But they did.
失去会发生在任何人的身上
Losses happen for all of us.
但重要的是 我们能重拾希望的碎片
But what matters is when you reset the pieces
重新开始
and play again.
明白吗
Huh?
洛比县恩锦标赛在等着你
The Rwabushenyi Championship is waiting for you.
总有一天你会做好准备的
One day, you’ll be ready for it.
到那时 你的生活就会发生天翻地覆的变化
And then your life could change.
我不想回妈妈那儿去
I don’t want to go back to my mother’s place.
我想待在这里
I want to stay here…
好好学习 然后练习下棋
study and work on my chess.
我能在这儿住几天吗
Can I stay for some time?
可以
Yes.
当然可以
Yes, you can.
我去跟你妈妈讲
I will speak to your mother.
菲欧娜没事吧
Is Phiona all right?
她要跟我们住一段时间
She will be staying with us for a while.
你怎么了 罗伯特
What is it, Robert?
有件事我必须告诉你
I must let you know something.
东非废水处理公♥司♥的威尔逊先生 打了一通电♥话♥给我
Mr. Wilson, from East Africa Sewerage called.
他提供给我一份工程主管的工作
He finally offered me a job as an engineering supervisor.
薪水很高
Good pay.
比我现在在体育部拿的高多了
Much higher than what we now receive from the Ministry.
但我回绝了
I refused him.
我不能离开孩子们
I cannot leave the Pioneers.
这或许会让我们的生活更复杂
This may make our lives more complicated.
我很抱歉
Sorry for that.
为什么这么做
Why do you do this?
你明明知道自己做了正确的选择 为什么还要道歉
Why are you sorry for doing what you know is right?
我一直都知道你是那种愿意为了
I always knew you were the kind of person
一个目标而不顾一切的人
who would give everything to a purpose like the Pioneers.
这就是你的工作
That is your work.