这位是欧拉达伊奎诺
This is Olaudah Equiano.
伊奎诺先生 欢迎
Mr Equiano. Please.
您远道而来吧
You’ve travelled far to be here?
免舟车之苦就好了
No distance would be too great.
这位是汉娜摩尔
And this is Hannah Moore.
威伯福斯先生您好
Mr Wilberforce.
她从克拉罕过来
Who has travelled all the way from Clapham.
最后 这位是汤玛士卡森
Finally, let me introduce Mr Thomas Clarkson.
房♥子很棒 兔子也不赖
Beautiful house. Sweet little rabbit.
其实是野兔
It’s a hare, actually.

Please.
告诉我 他们是谁
So come on. Who are they?
你自己去问
Why don’t you ask them?
希望这只老母鹅的肉够嫩
Well, I hope the goose is tender. She was rather old.
我倒觉得我愈老愈嫩
I find the older I get, the more tender I become.
摩尔小姐 您住克拉罕
So, Miss Moore, you live in Clapham.
听说那儿很安静
I hear it’s very tranquil there.
要是朋友间有争执
When certain issues are raised amongst my friends and I,
那就不平静了
it is anything but tranquil.
哪些争执呢
Ah. And, uh, which issues are those?
如何创造更好的世界
Issues regarding the making of a better world.
哪方面的好呢
Better in which way?
只要世界有一面变好
If you make the world better in one way, it becomes better in every way.
所有方面都会变好不是吗
Don’t you think?
伊奎诺先生 您为何来伦敦
Mr Equiano, what business brings you to London?
为了找您 威伯福斯先生
My business in London is you, Mr Wilberforce.
咦 您有事找我讨论
What? You wish to discuss something with me?
不 我们只是久仰大名
No. We do not want to talk.
还听说您是
because we hear that you are a man who doesn’t believe
眼见为凭的人
what he hears until he sees it with his own eyes.
这是用来铐脚
These are for the legs.
这是铐手臂
These for the arms.
这是铐脖子
This is for the neck.
示范给你看
Works like so.
黑奴从非洲上船
When the slaves leave port in Africa,
被关在一个不到半坪的地方
they’re locked into a space four foot by 18 inches.
卫生差且食物少 水都发臭
They have no sanitation, very little food, stagnant water.
三天不到血和粪就塞满排水孔
Their waste and blood fills the holes within three days and is never emptied.
而且从未通过
These irons and chains are to keep them from throwing themselves overboard.
铁链则是用来防止他们落水
The chains are not unlocked until you reach the plantation in Jamaica.
到牙买♥♥加之前铁链未曾松绑
Around half of the slaves are dead already.
半数黑奴在途中死了
In the markets, they stuff knotted rope
市场上的黑奴肛♥门♥都塞着粗绳
into the anuses of those who are sick
只因为他们下痢太严重
to disguise the dysentery.
他们一到殖民地就被烙上印记
When you reach the plantation, they put irons to the fire…
就像这样
…and do this.
他们用烙印告诉你 你不再属于上帝 只是奴隶
To let you know that you no longer belong to God, but to a man.
威伯先生 您一定在困扰
Mr Wilberforce, we understand you’re having problems
不知要选择从政或传道
choosing whether to do the work of God or the work of a political activist.
我们衷心建议您两者都别放弃
We humbly suggest that you can do both.
你搞的鬼
You planned this.
我注意到你读不少这类的书
I’ve seen the literature you’ve been reading.
你干嘛注意我桌上的书
You’ve stooped to searching through my desk?
道班爵士还说你去东印度港
Sir William Dolben told me you’d asked to be shown round the East India Docks.
所以你想利用我的个人关怀
So, you would use my private concerns
达到你的政♥治♥目的
for your own political ends.
没错 正是如此
Yes, exactly that.
基♥督♥教义和思想会引发行动
The principles of Christianity lead to action as well as meditation.
讲得好 那我确实该三思而后行
Allow me to meditate on it before I decide on any action.
想像一下
Just think about this, Wilber.
三百位国会议员都被收买♥♥了
The slave trade has 300 MPs in its pocket.
你肯定孤掌难鸣
It would be just you against them.
但你能击败他们
But you could do it.
你必须击败他们
You would do it.
别抱怨了
Oh, stop moaning.
抱歉 先生
Excuse me, sir.
能好心施舍
Do you have a penny for a boy that went
退伍残兵吗
to fight the Yanks and came back half a man?
您好 牛顿先生 我是威廉
Hello, Mr Newton. It’s me, William.
您好吗 约翰 你好
Hello, John. How are you?
您好 约翰 我是威伯
Hello, John. It’s me, Wilber.
我来找您…
I’m here to seek your…
门口的乞丐让我确信
The beggar at the door assures me that I’m now old enough
可以称呼您约翰
to call you John.
您在这里穿得很简单
You’re dressing very simply these days.
我本来就是简单的人
I’m a simple man.
我原本想当教士但意志力不够
I try to pretend I am a monk, but I don’t have the willpower.
今天想当明天又不想
I’m a monk Mondays, Wednesdays…
我在报上读到你的伟大事迹
When I read your name in the papers, doing these great things,
但我心中你仍是当年的毛头小子
I still see a tiny boy with his hair a mess and ink on his fingers.
你为何来找我这个老人
So, what do you want with an old creature?
我想寻求您的指引
I’m here to seek your advice.
小时候你总会向上帝寻求指引
When you were a child, you used to ask God for advice.
但随着成长
Then I grew up.
也变得愚昧
And grew foolish.
现在呢
And now?
现在…
Now…
我又慢慢找回信仰
slowly, my faith is returning.
有多慢
How slowly?
当然不像闪电
No bolts of lightning.
上帝的做法有时很缓和
God sometimes does his work with gentle drizzle,
不像暴风
not storms.
是一点一滴来
Drip… drip… drip.
我朋友威廉庇特愿意帮我
My friend William Pitt has declared an interest in me.
威廉什么
William who?
庇特会让我掌权
He’s offering me a place in the world.
你得确定是为了济世不是私利
Just make sure you’re in the world, not of the world.
我一旦投入就没有后路
There’d be no escape from power once I have it.
我会看清事实
I would have to see things through.
你非得如此吗
Why wouldn’t you?
难道你想隐居苦修
Are you contemplating a life of solitude?
威伯 你有使命要去实现
Wilber, you have work to do.
而且…
Besides,
你有群众魅力 不该隐居
people like you too much to let you live a life of solitude.
但您不就选择隐居吗
Haven’t you chosen solitude?
你该知道我不是孤军奋斗
You, of all people, should know I can never be alone.
我想也是
There now.
也是什么
There now what?
这就是我来找您的原因
You’re the reason I came.
你说有两万个鬼魂缠着您
You told me that you live in the company of 20, 000 ghosts.
黑奴的鬼魂
The ghosts of slaves.
我想跟你这个年轻人解释
I was explaining to a child
为何我阅历丰富却仍躲在暗处
why a grown man cowers in a dark corner.
我想听您说黑奴的事
I need you to tell me about them.
我没有勇气听自己的告解
I’m not strong enough to hear my own confession.
世事让您心境转变
I thought time might have changed you.
的确 我也老了
It has. I’m older.
庇特要我为黑奴抗争
Pitt has asked me to take them on, the slavers.
你最不该找的人就是我
I’m the last person you should come to for advice.
我甚至记不起
I can’t even say the name of any of my ships without
那些黑奴船名
being back onboard them in my head.
这里纠缠了两万个黑奴灵魂
All I know is 20, 000 slaves live with me in this little church.
我手上还沾着血
There’s still blood on my hands.
您能帮我吗 约翰
Will you help me, John?
我帮不了你
I can’t help you.
但放手做吧 替他们抗争
But do it, Wilber. Do it.
消灭那污秽败德的黑奴船
Take them on. Blow their dirty, filthy ships out of the water.
那些农主和庶农大亨
The planters, sugar barons,
渔翁得利的伦敦市长
Alderman “Sugar Cane”, the Lord Mayor of London.
利物浦 波士顿 甚至纽约
Liverpool, Boston, Bristol, New York.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!