一年内我们要收集足够的证据
We had a year to collect enough evidence
说服国会废除奴隶制度
to convince Parliament of our case.
农主和船主开始散播流言
The planters and the ship owners began to spread rumours about us.
说我们私下煽动推♥翻♥政♥府♥
They called us seditious, secretly working to bring down the government.
卡森在开往伯明罕的车上
Clarkson sat in a coach to Birmingham
听到有人说我要娶黑人老婆
and overheard someone claim that I’d secretly married a slave woman.
我们的热望不受流言影响
But the weight of our hope
恶名反而成就了荣耀
made it all seem like glorious infamy.
你服鸦♥片♥多久了
How long have you been taking laudanum?
我记得看过
I recognise its presence.
我的圣♥战♥和病痛形影不离
My illness and my crusade were born around the same time.
什么病
What is your illness?
医生说是结肠炎
The doctors tell me it’s called colitis.
我比他们还了解
They don’t really understand it, but I do.
有时我的胃烦了
You see, sometimes my stomach gets bored of being a stomach
就变成船
and decides it’s a sailing ship.
于是心就忌妒变成跷跷板
Then my heart gets jealous and decides it wants to be a see-saw.
还没发觉前左右肺就在吵
And before you know it, my lungs are arguing with one another
肺变得像海绵吸满海水
whether to be lungs or sponges full of seawater.
我就是这样告诉我侄儿们
Well, at least that’s what I tell my nieces and nephews.
玛莉安说你喜欢小孩
Marianne tells me you like children.
我爸知道
My poor father almost went mad
我茶不加糖时快疯了
when I told him I’d stopped taking sugar in my tea.
我十四岁时
I was 14,
就在报上看过你名字
reading your name in the papers,
我希望你能成功
willing you to win.
我告诉朋友每颗糖都含有黑奴血
I told my friends there was actual slave blood in every lump of sugar.
谈这种事很痛苦吗
Has this been so painful to talk about?
最痛苦的是我们无法改变一切
It’s only painful to talk about because we haven’t changed anything.
黑奴不像我有鸦♥片♥止痛
But, unlike the slaves, I have opium for my pain.
抱歉 先生
Begging your pardon, sir.
我以为大家都还在睡
I thought everyone was in bed.
她要准备早餐 几点了
She brings the breakfasts. What time is it?
别介意时间
Does it matter?
那年我们本来会赢
That year we should have won.
司法程序下证据绝对足够
With the evidence we had collected, by natural justice we should have won.
废除奴隶引发另个议题
Another argument in defence of the trade
纽芬兰的捕鱼业仍然活跃
is that the Newfoundland fishing industry is kept afloat
原因是…西印度群岛黑奴
by the fact that slaves in the West Indies
吃的鱼部位
consume that part of the fish
一般人根本难以下咽
which is fit for no other consumption.
如果您继续
I do feel that if my honourable friend
鸡蛋挑骨头来反对
continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections,
小心别被鸡骨头哽到
he is in danger of getting splinters under his fingernails.
现在 我要继续抗争…
Now, if I may continue with my argument…
身为繁荣利物浦港的代表
As representative of the great and flourishing commercial town of Liverpool,
我得再次提醒国会我们无法举证
I must once again remind the House that we have no evidence
非洲黑人对奴隶制度有任何异议
that the Africans themselves have any objection to the trade.
我引用克拉特伯先生的话
I have here an account written by a… Mr Clutterbuck…
他说多数的印度群岛黑奴
…which states that most slaves in the Indies
家里有舒适花♥园♥并养猪和家禽
have a snug little garden with plenty of pigs and poultry.
利物浦很多家庭还没这么富足
There are many poor families in Liverpool who do not have as much.
这就是原因
Which… Which is why,
除了少数穷医生和流浪教士
apart from a few mendicant physicians and itinerant clergymen,
一般英国人
the ordinary people of Britain are not at all exercised
对奴隶制度并不反感
by the whole issue of slavery.
利物浦议员提出
My honourable friend, the member for Liverpool,
人♥民♥的感受
seeks evidence of people’s concern.
去年我和流浪教士朋友
In the past year, I and my itinerant clergymen friends
一直寻求证据
have been gathering just such evidence.
我们请支持废奴者签请♥愿♥书
We have taken a petition calling for the abolition of the slave trade
我们走遍全国各地
to all the great cities of this country.
联署者超过39万人
It has been signed by over 390, 000 people.
然而 联署活动还没完
However, this petition is not yet complete.
还有一位人士愿意签署
There is one more person who wishes to add his name.
想点办法
Do something.
议长 我请求暂停
Mr Speaker, I humbly request a suspension
我们需要时间检查联署文件
while we take time to examine the signatures on this document.
这位议员叫停的
There is something very provoking
方式令人不屑
in the calm way my honourable friend seeks delay.
-议长 他想得寸进尺吗 -难道非洲的悲惨也能叫停
-Mr Speaker, will he not give way? -Is the desolation of Africa suspended?
别吵 各位
Please, gentlemen.
危险劳动也能叫停吗
Is the work of death suspended?
你把请♥愿♥书带到议会来
You bring petitions into the House…
真是国耻
Mr Speaker…as if
就像国家大权…
this country should be governed by the
沦落暴民手中而非统治者
rule of the mob, rather than its natural rulers!
安静
Order!
那卷请♥愿♥书代表造♥反♥
That roll of paper reeks of rebellion!
你叫得再大声也压不过民众怒吼
No matter how loud you shout, you will not drown out the voice of the people!
民众
The people?
会议暂停 检查请♥愿♥书
This session will be suspended while the petition is examined.
威伯
Wilber.
我的眼线说塔雷顿和克莱斯…
My spies tell me that Tarleton and Coconut Clarence
去见内政大臣
have gone to see the Home Secretary.
-他们找唐达斯爵士干嘛 -他不是支持我们吗
-What would they want with Lord Dundas? -He’s one of ours, isn’t he?
詹姆士
James. James.
-唐达斯支持哪边 -应该是我们
-Where does Lord Dundas stand? -Probable, I think.
我们预料他会支持
We have him down as a probable.
去年他曾禁止苏格兰送出黑奴
Last year he stopped the deportation of a Jamaican slave from Scotland,
所以他应属于我们
so his heart’s in the right place.
提防唐达斯
Be wary of Dundas.
要是他有心为何不继续
If he’s capable of compassion once, why not twice?
如果他变节影响多大
What damage could he do if he’s turned?
他控制34张苏格兰议员票
He controls the Scottish vote, 34 MPs.
我们得相信他的诚信
We’ll have to have faith in his integrity.
诚信
Integrity?
你要去哪里
Where are you going?
查字典里”诚信”的定义
To look up the word “integrity” in Dr Johnson’s Dictionary.
进来
Come.
首相 福斯爵士来见您
Prime Minister, Lord Charles Fox to see you.
您平时看来轻松多了
You look more at home when doing something devious.
首相 威伯不玩牌了
Prime Minister, your friend Wilberforce doesn’t play cards any more.
他有信仰后就不参加牌友杜
No. He resigned from all five card clubs when he saw the light.
可惜 他牌打得很好
Pity. He was good.
我想你该帮他玩牌
Well, I think there’s a hand you should play for him.
-跟谁玩 -阻挠废奴法案的人
-Against whom? -Someone who stands in his way.
你直接说名字吧
So name him.
晚安 欧姆爵士
Good evening.
威廉 周六我赢你还不够多吗
Billy, did I not win enough money from you on Saturday evening?
我要赶去议会 没时间玩牌了
Really, I have no time for cards. I have urgent business in the House.
身为首相 我听到不少你的无聊八卦
As prime minister, idle gossip collects around you like scum in slack water.
听到什么
What have you heard?
塔雷顿爵士会用东印度公♥司♥的钱
Lord Tarleton’s throwing East India Company money
贿赂今晚的反废奴者
at people who are speaking against abolition tonight.
当然我的好友没人会收贿
Of course, no true friend of mine would accept such an offer.
我刚好手上有王牌
I appear to have three jacks.
难怪我总觉得他们待你不错
I’ve always ensured that you have been dealt a favourable hand.
你想威胁我
Are you threatening me?
是你威胁我们的友情
You are threatening our friendship.
我不是拿钱才反对威伯福斯
It isn’t money that has made me decide to oppose Wilberforce.
我跟他同一阵线
His enemy is my enemy.
你是跟造♥反♥者并肩游走
You are sleepwalking hand-in-hand with a bloody rebel.
他目中无人只相信自己信念
Wilberforce follows no leader but the preacher in his head.
他们给你多少
How much were you offered?
你自己留着王牌
Keep yourjacks.
国王支持农主 我力挺国王
The planters still have the king, and I, at least, am still loyal to him.
别逼我威胁你
Don’t force me to put a pistol to your head.
你想威胁我 也自身难保
Well, if you do, there will be two pistols,
两边对决时我早就溜了
one from each side.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!