所以可以说 她们很聪明
So one might say they were clever?
对 可以这么说
Yes. One might say that.
-从类似危险的角度看 -对
– In a dangerous sort of way. – Exactly.
所以你把她解雇了
So you sacked her?
没有 刚开始我没有
No. Not at first I didn’t.
那你做了什么
What did you do?
我给了她一个机会
I gave her a chance…
如果你非知不可的话
if you must know.
我很高兴你能过来见我 史密斯小姐
I’m glad you could come to see me, Miss Smith.
你近来可好
How are you coping?
还好 谢谢
All right, thank you.
真的吗
Are you?
你脸上的红晕都消退了
You’ve lost those roses in your cheeks.
从罢♥工♥到现在有两个星期了
It must be getting on for two weeks now.
你们一定开始感觉到痛苦了
You must be starting to feel the pinch.
是的
We are.
所有人都是
All of us are.
但是我们不认为还有别的选择
But we don’t feel we have a choice.
伯灵先生 我们的房♥租一直在涨
Mr Birling, our rents are going up all the time,
但是这两年来我们的工资却从未涨过
but we haven’t had a wage rise in over two years.
大部分人为了交房♥租不得不忍♥饥挨饿
Most of us are going hungry to pay our rent.
我们快要买♥♥不起煤球了
We’re going without coal to pay…
你从哪里来
Where are you from?
是乡下来的 对吗
The countryside, isn’t it?
北部那些村庄中的一个
One of those villages up on the tops.
那地方很好
It’s nice up there.
坦白地说
Honest.
你父母对你在现在做的事是怎么想的
What do your parents think you’re up to down here?
我不想谈我的家庭 如果你不介意的话
I don’t want to talk about my family, if you don’t mind.
我有个和你差不多大的女儿
I’ve got a daughter same age as you.
如果她陷入你这样的处境 我可不会高兴
I wouldn’t be very happy if she found herself in your position.
对不起 我觉得这不公平 先生
I’m sorry, I don’t think this is fair, sir.
我知道有其他工厂付25先令
And I know there are other factories that pay 25 shillings…
你听听我的建议
Here’s what I suggest.
你是一个好员工 这我知道
You’re a good worker, I know that.
我让你当技工领班怎么样
How about I make you Leading Operator?
你手下会有10个姑娘
You’ll have ten girls working under you.
我会付你25个先令
I’ll pay you your 25 shillings.
你可以叫她们回来 然后我们公布
You can call them back and we’ll get that order out.
很抱歉我不能接受
I’m afraid I can’t accept that.
为什么不
Why not?
我们所有人都得涨工资
It has to be for all of us.
先生 得是所有人
Sir, it has to be for all of us.
真是个煽动者 不是吗
Quite the little agitator, aren’t you?
如果我是个男人你就不会这样和我说话
You wouldn’t talk to me like this if I were a man.
如果我们是男人 就不会给这点钱
You wouldn’t get away with paying us so little
就能让我们干活
if we were men.
你们这小小的罢♥工♥都持续不到下个星期
Your little strike won’t last another week.
等到下周一早晨
Come next Monday morning,
这些姑娘意识到她们只剩下最后一便士了
those girls will realise they’re down to their last pennies,
她们就会疲惫地从大门进来
they’ll come traipsing through those gates.
你就等着瞧
You just watch.
你不行
Not you.
我个人觉得
Well, for what it’s worth,
我觉得你已经没法做得再多了 先生
I don’t see how you could have done anything else, sir.
对啊 没法做得再多了
That’s right. I couldn’t.
-你可以给她们涨工资 -你说什么
– You could have paid them. – I beg your pardon?
你本可以给她们25先令的工资
You could have paid them the 25 shillings.
-一定有方法的 -你这么说是因为什么
– There must have been a way. – And you’d know that how?
我也在工厂工作 爸爸
I do work at the factory, Father.
埃里克 你不能把这种人留在工厂里
Eric, you can’t have people like that in the work force.
这是底线
And that’s the bottom line.
我按照市价付工人工资
I pay people the going rate.
如果人们不喜欢 他们可以自主选择
And if people don’t like it, they’re free to leave
去其他地方
and go elsewhere.
是哦 因为其他地方有那么多工作等着
Oh, yes, because there are so many jobs elsewhere.
你知道 这对于女孩子们而言并不容易
You know, it’s not as easy for the girls.
对她们来说单单离开家乡就很艰难
It’s hard for them to just up and leave their home towns.
你现在是妇女之友了 是吗
You’re an expert on girls now, are you?
我的意思是 你至少可以让她继续工作
I’m saying you could have at least let her keep her job.
仅仅因为她比其他员工更有勇气
Just because she had a bit more spirit than the rest of them…
如果你不对这些人狠一点
If you don’t come down hard on some of these people,
她们马上就会向你要整个地球
they’ll soon be asking for the earth.
-对的 -她们可能会
– That’s right. – They might.
但是索要地球总比直接拿走好
But it’s better to ask for the earth than to take it.
你这话什么意思
What do you mean by that?
你很清楚我在讲什么
I’m sure you know exactly what I mean.
不好意思 妈妈想知道你多久才能来
Sorry. Mother wants to know when you’ll be coming through.
-怎么了 -没事 亲爱的
– What’s going on? – It’s all right, darling.
这位探长来 是想问你♥爸♥爸一些事
The inspector here is just asking your father a few questions.
他解雇的一个姑娘今天中午自杀了
A girl he sacked committed suicide this afternoon.
-太可怕了 -我两年前解雇的女工
– That’s dreadful. – A girl I sacked two years ago.
她现在做的事和我一点关系都没有
Her…doing what she did had nothing to do with me.
我不敢苟同 先生
I can’t agree with you there, sir.
你看 那时发生在她身上的事
You see, what happened to her then
可能决定了后来在她身上发生的事
may have determined what happened to her afterwards.
是一连串的事
A chain of events.
曾经打过交道的人
I can’t be held responsible for what…
两三年后做的选择 我没法对此负责
people I had dealings with choose to do in two or three years’ time.
这是个荒唐的想法
It’s a ridiculous notion.
真的吗
Is it?
你刚刚说你的名字是什么
What did you say your name is?
古尔探长
Inspector Goole.
你和警♥察♥局长相处得怎么样
How do you get on with the Chief Constable?
因为你可能会想知道 我俩在西布鲁姆利经常
Because you might like to know that I play golf with him
会一起打高尔夫
at the West Brumley, regularly.
我不打高尔夫
I don’t play golf.
这个女孩 她很年轻吗
This girl, was she young?
是的 小姐 她很年轻
Yes, miss. She was.
– 真是可怜 -对
– It’s very sad. – Yes.
她漂亮吗
Was she pretty?
今天下午我见到她时一点都不漂亮
Well, she wasn’t pretty when I saw her this afternoon.
但是对 她曾经很漂亮
But yes, she had been pretty.
够了 希拉 到你妈妈那里去
That’s enough. Sheila, go back to your mother.
告诉她我这里马上就好了
Tell her I’m about done here.
请留下来 伯灵小姐
Stay, please, Miss Birling.
我不介意你的态度
I don’t care for your attitude.
我已经把我知道的所有事都告诉你了
I’ve told you everything I know about that girl,
而且我必须得说 我觉得这无关紧要
and I must say I don’t see that it’s very important.
现在 请你离开
Now, I’d ask you to leave
让我们继续今晚的庆祝
and let us get on with what’s left of our evening.
结束了我自然会离开的 伯灵先生
I’ll leave when I’ve finished, Mr Birling.
伯灵先生已经把他知道的所有事都告诉你了
Mr Birling has told you everything he knows.
而且我相信后来这女孩身上发生了什么
And surely it’s what happened to the girl afterwards
才是你感兴趣的
that should interest you most.
后来发生了什么
What did happen to her?
她找到其他工作了吗
Did she find another job?
根据这日记 她之后的几个星期都没工作
According to her diary, she was out of work for several weeks.
她的父母都去世了
Both her parents were dead,
所以她没有家庭可以依靠
so she’d no home to go back to.
住的出租♥房♥♥ 朋友很少 饿的半死
Living in lodgings, few friends, half-starved.
她十分绝望
She was feeling desperate.
我觉得是的
I should think she was.
在世界上的每个城市每个小镇
Oh, there are lots of young women living that sort of existence
很多年轻女子都处在这种生活状态 伯灵小姐
in every city and town across the world, Miss Birling.
她没必要听这些东西
She doesn’t need to hear about that.
可能我应该听听
Perhaps I ought to hear about it.
接着 两个月以后
Then, after two months, she had
似乎有好运降临到了她头上
what seemed to her a tremendous stroke of good luck.
一家商店录用了她 很不错的一家商店
She was offered a position in a shop – a very good shop.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
前一篇文章死亡诗社
下一篇文章情到深处
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!