米尔沃茨
Milwards.
我早就说过了 你看
There you are, you see?
米尔沃茨 那个百货商场 我们经常去那儿
Milwards? The department store? We go there.
对 当时爆发了很大的流感
Yes. There was a good deal of influenza about at that time,
他们突然发现缺乏人手了
and they suddenly found themselves short-handed
所以 他们给了她一个机会
and, er, well, they took a chance on her.
我有时觉得在那里工作应该挺令人愉快的
I’ve sometimes thought it must be a very pleasant place to work.
对 是的 在一段时间内
Yes, it was, for a while.
这是从工厂出来后一个很好的转变
It was a nice change from the factory.
她喜欢穿梭在漂亮衣服之中 她做的很好
She enjoyed being amongst all the pretty clothes. She did well.
然后 在六周之后
And then, after six weeks…
她被要求离开
she was asked to leave.
-惹了麻烦吗 -不 不
– Causing trouble? – No. No.
有个顾客投诉了 所以她不得不离开
A customer made a complaint about her and she had to go.
-我就说 惹了麻烦 -恐怕这就是关键
– As I said, causing trouble. – I’m afraid that is the problem
像她这样的人
with people like her
她们总是会让雇主不满
They’re always going to make employers uneasy.
这是什么时候 她什么时候被要求离开的
When was this? When was she asked to leave?
去年的一月末
At the end of January last year.
亲爱的
Darling?
她长什么样
What did she look like?
我有一张她的照片 如果你想看的话
I have a photograph of her, if you’d like to see.
怎么了 希拉
What is it, Sheila?
那个顾客是 我
It was, um, me.
是我 投诉了她
I…complained about her.
你为什么要投诉她 伯灵小姐
Why did you complain about her, Miss Birling?
如果我女儿投诉了她
If my daughter complained,
就一定有足够的理由
she’d have had good reason to.
-对 -我没有 我
-Yes. – I didn’t, I…
我并没有很好的理由
I didn’t have a good reason to.
我 我当时心情很差 我
I…I was in a bad mood, I…
我想一个人购物 就是这样
I had wanted to go shopping on my own, that’s all.
-你穿这件不好看 -好的 你说过了
– It wouldn’t be right at all. – Yes, you’ve said that.
这个样式穿在不同体型的人身上
That sort of shape would look much better on a…
会好看很多
a different sort of figure.
努力跟紧潮流并没有错
It’s all very well trying to follow the latest fashions,
但是你得知道什么才适合你的体型
but one has to know what suits one’s shape.
你慢慢就会懂了
That’s something you’ll learn as you go along.
我不需要你教我什么时尚
I don’t need a lecture on style.
请你小点声
Kindly keep your voice down.
妈妈 我能自己单独逛会吗
Mummy, please can I look around on my own for a while?
我们可以半小时后汇合 怎么样
We could meet up again in… half an hour, shall we say?
请问您需要协助吗 伯灵女士
Do you need any assistance, Mrs Birling?
现在不需要 弗朗西斯小姐
Not at present, Miss Francis.
我喜欢这件
I’ve been admiring this.
对 很漂亮 对吧
Yes. It’s lovely, isn’t it?
新设计 刚到的
A new design – just in.
我刚刚才说 这不适合我女儿的体型
I was just saying, it’s not the right shape for my daughter.
我觉得很适合我
Oh… I think it would suit me.
你 姑娘
You, girl?
能过来一下吗
Come here, would you?
看到了吗
Do you see?
这不是个能轻松驾驭的款式
It is not an easy style to carry off.
是仪态的问题
It’s a question of bearing.
我想穿上试试
I’d like to try it on.
可以 当然可以 小姐
Yes, of course, miss.
别待在这 妈妈 真的没有必要
Don’t stay, Mummy. There’s really no need.
那我去楼下了
I’ll be downstairs.
如果有需要 就叫我
Send for me if you need me.
当时气氛很尴尬
It was embarrassing.
我感觉大家都在看我
I felt as if everybody was watching.
很好看 小姐
It looks lovely, miss.
真的吗 我不确定颜色合不合适
Hm…does it? I’m not sure the colour’s right.
你在笑什么
What are you smiling at?
我 我没有 我只是
I…I wasn’t. I was only…
你刚刚在偷笑 我不瞎
You were sniggering. I’m not blind.
我确定她没有 伯灵小姐
I’m sure she wasn’t, Miss Birling…
我就是个笑柄 对吗
I’m some sort of cause for amusement, am I?
-不 当然不是 -伯灵小姐
– No. Of course not. – Miss Birling…
我要见经理 麻烦你
I’d like to see the manager, please.
-我确定她没有这个意思 -现在
– I’m sure she didn’t mean… – Now. Please.
好的 小姐 我马上去找他
Yes, miss. I’ll go and find him at once.
我会投诉的
I’ll do it.
我真的没有笑 小姐 我绝不会
I really wasn’t laughing, miss. I would never…
闭嘴吧 你干的好事已经够多了
Be quiet. You’ve done enough already.
经理来了 然后
The manager came and…
然后怎么了
And what?
他想把事情捋清楚 但是
And, well, he tried to smooth things over, but…
我说如果下次我进这家店
..I said that if I found the girl
发现那个女孩还在店里的话
in the shop the next time I went in,
我就让我爸爸立刻销户
I’d tell my father to close our account immediately,
把生意转到别家去
and we’d take our business elsewhere.
所以他解雇了她
And so he dismissed her?
不是当我面解雇的 但是
Well, not in front of me, but…
对 我估计他这么干了
yes, I suppose he did.
在那之后我再没见过她
I never saw her after that.
我很抱歉 我真的 真的很抱歉
I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry…
你不需要向任何人道歉
You don’t have to apologise to anyone.
我很抱歉我那么做了 我
I was sorry even as I did it. I…
我都不知道自己为什么要这样
I don’t know why I did it.
你这么做是因为你嫉妒她
You did it because you were jealous of her.
没错 有部分原因
Yes. That was part of it.
对 她特别漂亮
Yes. She was…so pretty.
她看起来如此自信
She seemed so sure of herself.
我再也不会这么做了 无论是对谁
I’d…I’d never do it again. Not to anyone.
现在没事了
It’s all right now.
这的确
It certainly was…
非常不幸
..unfortunate.
承认吧 杰拉德 做这事很可怕
Oh, just say it, Gerald! It was a horrible thing to do.
很可怕 我估计你从来没有做过什么
Horrible. I suppose you’ve never
-让你后悔的事 -我不是在批评你
– done anything you regret. – I wasn’t criticising you.
对不起
I’m sorry.
要我说 真可惜啊
Well, I say it’s a bloody shame.
-她一定很爱我们家 -你给我闭嘴
– She must have loved our family. – You be quiet!
我想知道她是否搞明白了关系
I wonder if she made the connection between…
我估计你现在会说 我也被牵扯进去了
I expect you’re going tell me I’m involved with it too?
我注意到在米尔沃茨
I’ve noticed them giving me
他们总是用一种眼神看我
a sort of look sometimes at Milwards.
我想
I suppose…
怎么会出这种事
Oh, why had this to happen?
当我今天下午看着那个去世的女孩时
That’s what I asked myself this afternoon,
也问了自己这个问题 为什么会发生这种事
when I was looking at that dead girl. Why had this to happen?
然后我告诉自己
And then I said to myself,
“我们会尽量理解为什么会发生”
“Well, we’ll try to understand why it had to happen.”
那就是我到这的原因
And that’s why I’m here,
而且不弄清楚原因 我是不会走的
and why I won’t be going until I know exactly why it happened.
你已经知道了 是吗
You knew, didn’t you?
投诉的人是我
That it was me.
对 我是这么估计的 因为她写的东西
Yes. I thought it probably was, because of something she wrote.
这就是她为什么自杀的原因吗
Is that why she did it?
那你一开始怎么不说
Then why didn’t you say so from the start?
而是虚张声势 吓坏我女儿
Instead of launching in, upsetting the girl…
这是她为什么自杀的原因吗
Is that why she did it?
-希拉 -我想知道
– Sheila… – I want to know.
在她离开米尔沃茨后 生活变得很困难
Things were extremely difficult for her after she left Milwards.
因为之前的事 没有人给她写推荐信
They couldn’t give her a reference in the light of what happened.
所以 在几个月的孤独和挨饿之后
So, after several months of loneliness and near-starvation,
她意识到别无他法 只有试试别的了
she decided she had no option but to try something else.
所以她改了名字
So she changed her name.
改成了什么 她把名字改成什么了
What to? What did she change her name to?

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
前一篇文章死亡诗社
下一篇文章情到深处
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!