Well, they said it was for not paying his taxes…
据说是因为他没缴税…
but really, for being an outsider.
但其实是因为他当旁观者
Refusing to go along.
拒绝依循传统
Lowell, you’re being moved.
罗佛 你要换囚室了
Why? You’re going to final holding.
为什么? 你要搬去死囚室
No.

Come on, Lowell. Open the door.
快点 罗佛 打开门
Stand up.
站起来
Put your arms behind your back. Okay, last chance.
把两手放到背后 再给你一次机会
Get up.
起来
Turn around. Put your arms behind your back.
转过身 把手放到背后
Now Dick and me, we’re next in line.
狄克和我是下一个
I’m so sorry I’ve been away.
真抱歉我离开了一阵子
It was a long time.
离开了很久
I know.
我知道
How’s the book coming along?
书写得怎么样了?
Very slowly.
进度很慢
Will you show it to me?
你会给我看吗?
I’ve hardly written anything.
我几乎没写多少呢
Good evening, New Yorkers…
各位纽约客 晚安…
and thank you for coming to the first public reading…
感谢各位来参加首次公开朗读会…
the first offering of any kind…
楚门卡波特前所未有的…
of Truman Capote’s new work, In Cold Blood.
创新作品《冷血》
Hello. My name is Truman Capote.
嗨 我是楚门卡波特
For this evening’s program, I’m going to read some passages…
今晚节目中我将要朗读…
from the first three parts of my new book.
我新书的前三段
“The village of Holcomb stands”
“霍肯村矗立在堪萨斯西部”
on the high wheat plains of western Kansas…
一片麦草高耸的平原上…
“a Ionesome area that other Kansans call ‘out there.”
“其他堪萨斯人以’那边’来称呼这个孤寂之地”
“Until one morning in mid-November, 1959…
“在1959年11月中旬的某天早晨以前…
“few Americans, in fact, few Kansans,”
“极少数美国人或者说连堪萨斯人”
“had ever heard of Holcomb.”
“都没听过霍肯村这地方”
“Like the waters of the Arkansas River…
“就像阿肯萨河的流水…
“like the motorists on the highway…
“就像高速公路上的驾驶…
“exceptional happenings never stopped there.”
“意外之事并不会在那里停止”
“Perry Smith’s voice was both gentle and prim.”
“派瑞史密斯的声音轻柔而拘谨”
“A voice that, though soft…
“精准制♥造♥出每个语句的…
“manufactured each sound exactly…
“一个柔和声音…
“ejected it like a smoke ring issuing from a parson’s mouth.”
“像烟圈般从牧师的嘴里吐出”
“The four coffins, which quite filled the small, flower-crowded parlor…
“布满花朵的小接待室 “显得有些拥挤…
“were to be sealed at the funeral services…
“陈放了四具要在葬礼时阖起的棺材…
“very understandably…
“可想而知…
“for the effect was disquieting.”
“因为这景象令人不安”
“Nancy wore her dress of cherry-red velvet…
“南西身上是樱桃红的丝绒洋装…
“her brother a bright plaid shirt.”
“她哥哥身上是鲜艳的格子衬衫”
“The parents were more sedately attired…
“父母的衣着较为沉稳…
“Mr. Clutter in navy-blue flannel,”
“克拉特先生穿了海军蓝的法兰绒”
his wife in navy-blue crepe.
他太太则穿海军蓝的褶裙
“And it was this especially that lent the scene an awful aura…
“如此装扮却更彰显出场面的凄惨氛围…
“the head of each was completely encased in cotton.”
“棉布完全包覆住他们四人的头部”
“A swollen cocoon twice the size of an ordinary blown-up balloon.”
“像个肿起的茧 有吹饱了的气球两倍大”
“And the cotton…
“那绵布…
“because it had been sprayed with a glossy substance…
“因为喷上了亮光剂…
“twinkled like Christmas tree snow.”
“像圣诞树上的雪 闪闪发亮”
“One Tuesday at dawn, a carload of strangers…
“星期二的黎明时分 有一车陌生人…
“ignorant of the local disaster…
“无视于当地的灾难…
“were startled by what they saw as they crossed the prairies…
“却在经过牧场和霍肯村时…
“and passed through Holcomb.”
“被眼前景象镇摄住了”
“Windows ablaze.”
“明亮的窗户”
“Almost every window in almost every house…
“几乎每栋房♥屋里的每扇窗户…
“and in the brightly-lit rooms, fully-clothed people…
“和灯火通明的房♥间里 衣衫齐整的人们…
“even entire families…
“甚至全家的人…
“who had sat the whole night wide awake, watchful, listening.”
“都彻夜未眠地坐着 警觉着 倾听着”
“Of what were they frightened?
“他们在怕什么?
“It might happen again.”
“可能会再次发生”
Thank you.
谢谢大家
And I slipped and I ripped a hole…
我滑了一下 扯破了一个大洞…
from the bottom of my scrotum…
从阴囊底部…
all the way up to the top of the crack of my ass.
一直到股沟顶端
And I sat there.
我坐在那里
And I didn’t know it. All I felt was a…
毫不知情 我只感觉到…
I didn’t know it. All I felt was a cool breeze, you know, between my…
我并不知道 只感觉到 有阵凉风穿过我的…
Sorry. If I may…
抱歉 请恕我插嘴…
Yes.

Your portrait of those men was terrifying.
你对那些人的描述真是可怕
Terrifying.
很可怕
Thank you.
谢谢你
Stop that man! Come back here!
阻止那个人!回来这里!
Dad!
爸爸!
Have any of you met my father?
你们见过我父亲了吗?
He hasn’t spanked me in years.
他好几年没打我了
George didn’t come backstage.
乔治并没有回到后台
He had… He had a…
他有点…
Something that his wife had to rush him off to.
他太太有点事要他急着赶去
But he made a point of… Well, I’m still waiting for a call.
但他提出… 我还在等电♥话♥
It was beautiful. And everybody came. Everybody came.
实在太精采了 大家都到场了
Tennessee loved it. Of course he loved it.
田纳西很喜欢 他当然喜欢
Should we do more?
要不要多办几场?
No, we just sit and wait while people talk about it…
不 我们该静静等待 让人们去谈论…
and we let them do the work.
让他们把书炒红
I mean, this book is going to change everything.
我的意思是 这本书将改变一切
It’s gonna change how people see your writing.
将改变人们看待你写作的方式
I think it’s going to change how people write.
我认为会改变人们的写作方式
Are you gonna be finished by October? I think so.
10月前你会写完吗? 我想会
You know, they’re scheduled for next month.
你知道 他们被排到下个月
To hang.
你说吊死
Yeah.

We’re gonna commit as many issues as it takes to publish.
能用几期杂♥志♥宣传你的书 我们就用几期
Whatever it takes.
只要有需要
Well, I’m going to Kansas tomorrow…
我明天要去堪萨斯…
and I’ll get Perry to talk. What’s he got to lose?
我会要派瑞说出来 他又有何损失?
Sorry, but…
抱歉 但…
Hey, this may sound strange to you…
嘿 这样说或许很奇怪…
but I’m going to miss him.
但我会想念他
You’ll be able to finish now.
你会有办法写完的
Need to check your papers, sir.
先生 报纸必需经过安检
This is what we’ve been waiting for.
我们就在等这个
A stay of execution to make a federal appeal.
暂缓行刑以做联邦上诉
All thanks to you.
真要感谢你
Thank you!
谢谢!
They’re not gonna corner me now. Not unless the U.S. Government says so.
他们不能再逼迫我了 除非美国政♥府♥允许
Kansas has had it in for me for 10 years. They can’t corner me now.
堪萨斯市怨恨了我10年 现在看他们能怎么办
Hey, Perry, sit down…
嘿 派瑞 坐下…
for a minute.
一会儿
I need you to talk to me.
我要你跟我说话
We’ve got all the time in the world to talk.
我们有全世界的时间说话
I’ve been thinking about Ricardo.
我一直在想李察的事
You really need to stop sending him those trashy books.
你真的得停止寄那些烂书给他
I won’t even mention the pornography.
色情书刊就更不用说了
Now, I realize that Dick probably can’t grasp the literature that you gave me.
我知道狄克或许无法理解 你给我的那些文学作品
And the books you send him only…
而你寄来的那些书…
They only exacerbate the problem.
它们只让问题恶化
They only heighten or intensify it.
只是点出或加强了问题
Maybe we can get him started on a program.
或许能让他参加什么课程
Perry, I know what “exacerbate” means.
派瑞 我懂”恶化”的意思
Okay, well, just thinking…
噢 我只是想…
There’s not a word or a sentence or a concept that you can illuminate for me.
你不必跟我解释 任何一个字 句子或概念
There is one singular reason I keep coming here.
我不断来这里 只有一个理由
Truman. November 14, 1959.
楚门 1959年11月14日
Three years ago. Three years.
3年前 3年了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!