that when our primitive security precautions are lifted,
你第一次当众说话
that the first time you say anything in public,
对象最好是正确的人
you should talk to what we primitively call the right people.
我能私下… 和你说几句吗?
May I say something… personal?
请说
Please.
我喜欢你
I like you.
一开始我也喜欢你
I have from the beginning.
– 下午好 先生们 – 总统先生
– Good afternoon, gentlemen. – Mr President.
我清楚的明白我将要说的
I’m aware that what I have to say may
毫无疑问将造成比大峡谷还要宽的信任隔阂
conceivably create a credibility gap wider than the Grand Canyon.
但是不管怎样 它是事实
Nonetheless, it is true.
昨天 一艘美国载人飞船跌落在加利福尼亚南海岸
Yesterday, a US spacecraft splashed down off the southern California coast.
它正是两年多来丢失的两艘载人飞船中的一个
It was one of two that have been missing in space for over two years.
更精确一点说 是由泰勒上校指挥的那一艘
To be exact, the one commanded by Colonel Taylor.
– 他们发现尸体了吗? – 他们发现了三具 是的
– Have they identified the bodies? – They have identified three bodies, yes.
全部是活着的…
All living…
– 泰勒还活着? – 在他们被救上来的时候
– Taylor’s alive? – At the time of their rescue.
因为一个不幸的事故 其中一个今早在洛杉矶动物园被杀死了
Through an unfortunate accident, one was killed this morning in the Los Angeles Zoo.
动物园?
Zoo?
总统先生 为什么宇航员会出现在动物园里?
What would astronauts be doing in a zoo, Mr President?
福克纳上校 他们不是宇航员
They are not astronauts, General Faulkner.
他们是猿类 更精确一点说 是黑猩猩
They are apes. Chimpanzees, to be more precise.
他们是无害 友好的 而且通过所有的报告来看
They’re harmless, friendly, and, by all reports,
他们是非常有智慧复杂的生物
extremely intelligent and sophisticated creatures.
但他们是动物 自然无法告诉我们
But, naturally, being animals, they cannot tell us
飞船从何而来以及他们如何出现在飞船里
where the ship came from or how they came to be in it.
因此我决定明天在洛杉矶
I have therefore decided to convene
成立一个总统调查委员会
a Presidential Commission of Inquiry in Los Angeles tomorrow.
为了便于委员会的观察 活下来的两只猩猩明天也会在场
The two surviving apes will be presented to the commission for their inspection.
委员会成员将被邀请加入 不是什么人都可以参加
The press will be invited to attend, not to participate.
我觉得我们不能
I don’t believe that we can
再向全世界隐藏这个巨大的发现
withhold this extraordinary discovery from the world any longer.
之前被认为在运行过程中分解的两艘美国飞船中的一个
One of the two American spaceships believed to have disintegrated in orbit
昨日被发现跌落在太平洋里 加利福利亚海岸东南部的海岸边
splashed down yesterday in the Pacific Ocean, off the coast of southern California,
并被发现有驾驶员操控
and is stated to have been manned,
呃 你也可以说被猴子操控
if you can call it “manned”, by monkeys.
无可奉告 先生
I have nothing to say, gentlemen.
我现在没时间 晚点再说吧
I haven’t got time now. A little later.
主席来了
Here comes the chairman.
作为总统的科学顾问
As the president’s science advisor,
你对这次历史性的会晤有什么感想吗?
what do you expect to experience from this historic meeting?
恐惧
Fear.
好了 在我宣布消息之后
All right now. After I break the news,
我希望你们可以从简单的问题开始简要的进行回答
I want you to start slowly with simple answers to what will be simple questions.
如果问题越来越难了怎么办?
And if the questions become less simple?
– 做你自己吧 – 表现出来更好的自己 佐拉 好吗?
– Be yourself. – Your better self, Zira. Please?
– 他们准备好了 先生 – 好的 时间到了
– They’re ready, sir. – All right, it’s time.
他们觉得我们是什么? 大猩猩吗?
What do they think we are? Gorillas?
抱歉
I’m sorry.
就是这儿了 请入座
That’s it. Just be seated.
主席先生 委员会的成员们
Mr Chairman, members of the commission,
女士们 先生们 我是路易斯·迪克森
ladies and gentlemen, my name is Lewis Dixon.
我是动物神经学家
I am the animal psychiatrist
在这两位来到洛杉矶动物园时一直由我照看他们
who has been in charge of these two apes since they came to the Los Angeles Zoo.
这是我的助手斯蒂芬妮·布兰登博士 我已准备好回答各位的问题
My associate, Dr Stephanie Branton, and I am ready to answer your questions.
可能会惊吓到各位的是
What may astonish you is that
我们的猩猩朋友也准备好回答各位的问题了
our chimpanzee friends are ready to answer your questions, too.
不是通过符号♥ 表情或者动作
Not by signs, not by looks or movements,
而是通过语言
but by words.
迪克森博士 作为一名动物学家 我了解并尊重你们的工作
Dr Dixon. As a zoologist, I know and respect your work,
但是如果你打算把一个总统调查会变成
but if you want to turn a Presidential Inquiry
一场口♥技♥表演的闹剧 我不得不通知你…
into a ventriloquist’s act, I have to inform you…
我必须告诉您这些猩猩们可以讲话
And I have to inform you that these apes have the power of speech.
别开玩笑了 你我都知道
Come, now. You know as well as I do
他们的大脑系统中言语区以及抽象思维区域都处于未开♥发♥状态
their brain system is not developed in either the vocal or abstract-thinking area.
是的 先生 但是他们确实有言语的能力
Yes, sir, but they do have the power of speech,
现在是各位来评价
and it is for you gentlemen to assess
这种能力是如何被精巧地使用的
how far that power can be exercised intelligently.
有人能告诉我们哪一位是雌性吗?
May we be told which is the female of the species?
她站起来是因为你的指示
Did she rise as a reflex to you having indicated her,
还是为了回答我的问题?
or in answer to my question?
您来判断吧
That’s for you to decide.
– 你有名字吗? – 佐拉
– Have you a name? – Zira.
毫无疑问她可以清楚地发音 这令人难以置信
Certainly she can articulate, which in itself is extraordinary.
但是迪克森博士 我们是不是可以推测佐拉是她的名字
But, Dr Dixon, are we to infer that Zira is her name,
还是她的语言体系里的某些词汇?
or some phrase in her own language?
主席先生 您自己判断吧 我建议您再重复一遍问题
Infer what you will, Mr Chairman. I suggest you rephrase the question.
你叫什么?
What is your name?
– 有人是不是也这么和鹦鹉说话? – 鹦鹉?
– One might as well be talking to a parrot. – A parrot?
机械的模仿 只出现在猿类的语言系统里 毫无疑问
Mechanical mimicry. Unique in an ape vocally, without a doubt.
但是… 另一只也会说话?
But… does the other one talk?
只要她允许
Only when she lets me.
– 海瑟伦博士 – 没事 没什么
– Dr Hasslein. – No. Nothing.
– 主席先生 – 继续
– Mr Chairman. – Yes.
请问这位雄性的名字是什么?
What is the male’s name, please?
– 科尼利斯 – 我合法的已婚的配偶
– Cornelius. – My lawfully wedded spouse.
– 已婚? – 阁下 我们以后再讨论这个问题
– Wedded? – We’ll take that up later, Your Eminence.
科尼利斯 你和你合法的配偶
Cornelius, do you and your lawfully wedded spouse
还会说出了英文以外其他的语言吗?
speak any language other than English?
英语是什么?
What is English?
我父母的父母教给他们这门语言 他们又把这门语言教给我
I speak the language taught to me by my father and mother, who were taught by their fathers and mothers before them
它成为我们祖先的语言已经快2000年了
It has been the language of our ancestors for nearly 2,000 years.
至于它的起源 谁说得清楚?
As to its origins, who can be sure?
我们社会里的大猩猩和红毛猩猩
The gorillas and orangutans of our community
认为上帝以他的形象创造了我们 而我们的语言…
believe that God created the ape in His own image, and that our language…
胡说八道!
Nonsense!
科尼利斯 作为一个知识分子 你清楚不过的知道大猩猩就是一帮军方的笨蛋
Cornelius, as an intellectual, you know damn well the gorillas are a bunch of militaristic nincompoops
还有红毛大猩猩 就是一帮心胸狭隘伪科学的呆鹅!
and the orangutans, a bunch of blinkered, pseudoscientific geese!
至于人类 我已经仔细检验了…
As to humans, I’ve dissect…
已经测验了无数个
I’ve examined thousands of them,
至今为止 我这辈子只发现了两个会说话的人类
and, until now, I’ve only discovered two who could talk in my life.
没人知道谁教他们说的话
God knows who taught them.
在我们来的地方 猿类可以讲话
Where we come from, apes talk.
人类非常愚笨
Humans are dumb.
– 你从哪里来 科尼利斯? – 我不确定
– Where do you come from, Cornelius? – I’m not sure.
麦洛博士很确定
Dr Milo was sure.
麦洛博士是一个超越时代的天才
Dr Milo was a genius well in advance of his time.
当飞船首次在我们的海岸线着陆时 是麦洛博士将它打捞上来的
When the spacecraft first landed on our seaboard, it was Dr Milo who salvaged it.
他研究了飞船 并且几乎把它弄明白了
He studied it and half understood it.
几乎? 几乎明白有什么用?
Half? Was half enough?
它足够让我们可以在战争不可避免的时候逃离
It was enough for us to escape when war became inevitable.
足够让麦洛博士在你们的动物园被谋杀
Enough for Dr Milo to be murdered in your zoo.
足够让我和我的妻子出现在这里
Enough for my wife and I to be here now.
– 你们从哪里来 科尼利斯? – 我告诉你了 我不确定
– From where, Cornelius? – I told you. I’m not sure.
也许雌性知道
Maybe the female knows.
“雌性” 当然知道
Of course “the female” knows.
我们来自你们的未来
We came from your future.
这根本讲不通
That doesn’t make any sense.
这是唯一的解释
It’s the only thing that does.
– 主席先生 – 请讲
– Mr Chairman. – Yes.
科尼利斯 你提到了战争
Cornelius. You spoke of war.
– 谁和谁的战争? – 大猩猩和当时活着的任何…
– War between whom? – The gorillas and whoever lives…
活过的 好吧 会活下去的
Lived. Will live.
– 谁赢了战争? – 我不知道
– Who won the war? – I don’t know.
黑猩猩是和平主义者 我们待在家里
The chimpanzees are pacifists. We stayed at home.
– 但是你在战争结束前离开了 – 通过一艘飞船
– But you left before the war had ended. – In a spaceship.
– 麦洛博士学会操纵的那艘 – 没错
– Which Dr Milo learned to navigate. – Correct.
科尼利斯 你知道泰勒上校吗?
Cornelius, did you know a Colonel Taylor?
不知道 他是士兵吗?
No. Is he a soldier?
我们是热爱和平的生物
We are peaceful creatures.
我们很高兴能来到这 请问可以给我们打开锁链吗?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!