《彼得与狼》(2006)
我凭此在2008年赢得了一座奥斯卡奖杯
which I won an Oscar for in 2008
之后我参与了另一部大制♥作♥电影
and after that I had another fairly big production
《魔法钢琴》(2011)
也就是《魔法钢琴》
which was the Magic Piano
因为这部电影 我结识了一位
Because of that project, I crossed paths
天赋异禀的女士多洛塔·科别拉
with a very talented woman called Dorota Kobiela
极越当时在寻找概念派艺术家
BreakThru, they were looking for a concept artist
和动态分镜师
and someone for animatic.
招揽她带来了意想不到的结果
A very unintended consequence of hiring her
我们几乎算是一见钟情
was that we almost instantly fell in love.
休不仅爱上了我
Hugh fell in love not only with me
也爱上了我的项目
but also with my project.
这个项目太让人眼前一亮了
It’s not often that you feel that you see something
那么新奇 那么新颖 那么令人振奋
that’s very fresh, that’s very new, that’s very exciting.
首先不是因为他是文森特·梵高
First it wasn’t because of Vincent Van Gogh
因为刚开始我对他的了解
because I didn’t really know that much about him
只有一星半点
at the beginning.
之后 我们在公♥寓♥里闲来无事
And then, you know, as I started reading the books
开始阅读关于他的书时
that we had lying about our flat,
渐渐我沉浸其中
I became more fascinated.
当我发现文森特29岁才拿起画笔
And I was shocked when I found out that
在此之前有过四次失败的职业经历时
Vincent had only started painting at 29
我非常震惊
after failing at four other careers.
我一直以为他和其他天才一样
I’d always assumed he’d been a gifted artist
从小就是天资非凡的艺术家
from a young age, like other geniuses,
但文森特与艺术的第一次接触
yet Vincent’s first encounter with art
19岁的文森特
是在他叔叔的画铺当店员时
was when he joined his uncle’s art dealership
尽管他在那里勤勤恳恳
and despite working very hard there,
尽管有家人的人脉关系
and despite his family connections
他还是因为欠缺与客人沟通的能力
he was sacked because of his inability
而被解雇
to deal with customers.
随后他尝试过当老师
He subsequently tried to be a teacher
当书店店员
and then a bookstore clerk,
最后他试着像他父亲一样当一名传教士
and finally he tried to be a preacher like his father,
但被他自己的教会赶了出去
but was thrown out of his own church
因为他过于热情
for being overly religious
他只好去比利时一个极度贫穷的矿区
This ended him up in a barn in a desperately poor mining region
在谷仓里过活 仅靠面包维持生命
in Belgium, subsisting only off bread
整日不做其他事 只看书
and doing nothing but reading books.
在那段低谷时期 他决定孤独一掷
And at that low point he decided to gamble everything
做一名画家 并且得到了他弟弟
on becoming an artist, and with the support of his brother
在经济上和精神上的支持
who was financing him and believed in him to do this.
他全身心投入到成为一个艺术家上
He threw himself entirely into becoming an artist,
我认为他那非凡的激♥情♥和情感
and I think his extraordinary passion and emotion
是我深深着迷于《至爱梵高》的原因
was really what got me hooked on Loving Vincent
可以说 休是之后才对文森特的人生
So it’s fair to say that Hugh definitely became interested
产生了兴趣
in Vincent’s life later on,
直到我们的第三次约会
but at first it wasn’t until our third date
罗兹 卡利斯卡
我们才正式谈起了我的项目
that we talked about my project properly.
在罗兹一家名为卡利斯卡的酒吧里
In a bar called Kaliska in Lodz
喝了一晚上的龙舌兰后 多洛塔告诉我
Through a night of tequilas, Dorota told me
她为《至爱梵高》构思出了
six different stories in terms of the directions
6种不同的叙事角度
that Loving Vincent could go into.
当时的构想还只是短片
And this was at the stage when it was still a short film.
但即使在那时 最吸引我们的还是
But even then, I think what we were both most fascinated by
文森特生命的最后时期
was Vincent’s final days.
文森特最后时期是什么样的
How Vincent was in his final days.
他当时在想什么
What was going through his mind.
因为在那时
Because by this point,
文森特已经小有名气了
Vincent was beginning to have some success.
感觉就要时来运转了
And things seemed to be going well for him,
几乎可以说是自他成年后的第一次
well, for the first time in his adult life almost.
但他却在这段时期结束了自己的生命
And yet this was the time that he killed himself,
这个谜团深深地吸引了我们
and that mystery really hooked us.
所以
So…
我们讨论过几次将其制♥作♥为
I mean we had a few discussions about the possibility
故事长片的可能性
of making it into a feature film.
我觉得这个想法简直是天方夜谭
I thought it was a crazy idea.
不像休 我是一名画师及动画画师
Unlike Hugh, I’m a painter and an animator
所以我知道要制♥作♥一部
and so I knew how much work it would be
手绘动画长片有多困难
to make a painting animation feature.
要画一辈子才能画完
It would take an entire lifetime to paint.
我们都知道这是一个艰巨的任务
We knew that it was a very big undertaking.
纯手绘一部七分钟的电影
To go from doing a seven minute film that’s fully painted by hand,
和纯手绘一部80 90分钟的电影
to doing an 80, 90 minute film that’s fully painted,
完全是天壤之别
was a huge change
并且需要完全不同的格局
and requiring a totally different outlook.
反正就我而言 最后促使我
For me, anyway, the final straw in terms of going,
下定决定去制♥作♥这样一部长片的契机
okay, let’s do it, let’s make a feature film,
是我在伦敦看了他的书信展
was when I visited an exhibition in London about his letters.
要整整排三个半小时的队
And that was a queue for three and a half hours
才能进去参观 我就在想
to get into this exhibition and I thought,
大家愿意排三个半小时的队
if people will queue up for three and a half hours,
这个男人如此受人喜爱
this man is so popular that
必须要制♥作♥一部长片
it has to be a feature film.
我们必须要试一试
We have to give it the opportunity
要让更多的人看到这部电影
for as many people to see it as possible.
所以我找到多洛塔 对她说
So I went back to Dorota and I said look,
无论付出什么代价 我们都要开创先河
you know, whatever it takes, we have to take the leap
完成这部故事长片
and make this as a feature film.
来自奥斯卡奖项获得者
最佳动画短片奖《彼得与狼》
《至爱梵高》首版宣传资料
至爱梵高
我们无以为言
唯有绘画才能表达我心之所念
文森特·梵高
当我们在制♥作♥《魔法钢琴》的同时
While we were doing Magic Piano,
我们也在周游全世界
we were traveling around the world quite a lot.
那次旅程特别棒
It was great.
我全情投入其中
I was taking it all in.
油画 素描 参观博物馆
Painting, sketching, visiting museums.
但后来我们就没再继续旅行了
But then we stopped traveling
我必须要面对现实
and I was faced with the reality
要把7分钟的剧本
of having to turn my seven minute script
扩充成80分钟的剧本
into an 80 minute script.
对于如何展现电影效果这点 我颇有自信
I was confident about how I wanted the film to look
早期概念艺术
也丝毫不愁该怎么制♥作♥动画效果
and about how we would animate the film.
但是写剧本不一样 那简直就是万丈深渊
But writing the script, that was scary.
我都不知道该从哪入手
I didn’t know how to start.
我迷茫了
I felt lost.
所以 那段时间里我一边疯狂地补电影
So I went through a period of binge-watching films
《夜长梦多》(1946)
《双重赔偿》(1944)
《卡萨布兰卡》(1942)
一边思考和分♥析♥它们的故事框架
and thinking about and analyzing their story structure.
这是谋杀
在那之后
After that,
一看到推荐的剧本教程书 我就买♥♥下来
I ordered every recommended script writing book I could,
开始细细研读
and I started reading.
它们给了我足够的灵感和帮助
This gave me enough inspiration and enough tools,
很快 我整个人都沉浸在了故事里
and soon I was so absorbed by the story
沉浸到忘记了之前的担忧
that I forgot about my fears
随后 我们便着手给剧本定型
and we began shaping the script.
我纠结的其中一件事
One of the things that I struggled with
就是它呈现出来的样子
was exactly how would this look, you know,
它到底会带给观众一种什么样的观感
and what kind of feeling would it give to audiences?
多洛塔就说 这个会是这样
Dorota would go oh, well it’s gonna look like this,
那个又会是那样
it’s gonna look like that.
几轮这样的对话后 我直接说
And, you know, we got to a point where I thought,
我们还是别讨论了 直接做个测试吧
let’s stop talking about it, let’s just do a test, you know.
正是在这时 我们产生了
And that’s when we came up with the idea
制♥作♥概念预告片的想法
of the concept trailer.
概念预告片附图
阿尔芒·鲁兰

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!