进来
Come in.
斯班塞先生 很抱歉打扰你
Mr Spencer. Mr Spencer, I hate to bother you…
有两个男人来过
but I thought you’d like to know there were two men here.
说是找你的
Two men askin’ for you.
一个年轻人 另一个老些
A young man and a kind of older man.
我说你不在 他们好像不高兴
They was sorry you wasn’t in. I said you wasn’t.
– 他们有说会再来吗? – 没说但我想他们会再来的
– Did they say they’d be back? – They didn’t say, but I think they will.
刚才我出去买♥♥东西的时候 看见他们在拐角那里等着
Just now, when I had to go to the store, I seen them standing there at the corner.
也许我应该让他们进来 但不能打扰你
Maybe I shoulda let them in, only you said not to disturb you –
– 是吗? – 我觉得他们会再来的
– Yes. – And I’m sure They’ll be back.
你样子看上去很疲惫啊
You look kinda tired to me, and that’s a fact.
有些头疼吗?
You got a headache or somethin’?
我想你应该好好休息一下了
I think maybe you need a real rest. That’s what I think.
斯班塞先生 你不该把钱到处放
Why, Mr Spencer. You oughtn’t to leave all that money lying around like that.
看到这样我觉得很不自然
Oh, it makes me nervous to see money lying around.
世界上不是 所有人都是诚实的
Everybody in the world ain’t honest, you know.
但你可以相信我 我是很诚实的
Though I must say I haven’t had much trouble that way.
你的一些朋友打电♥话♥来了 还叫我不要告诉你
Those friends of yours told me not to mention they’d called.
说想给你一个惊喜 但我还是要说一声
Wanted to surprise you. But I thought you’d like to know somehow.
是啊当然了如果他们 再来就让他们进来吧
Yes, yes. Of course. If they come back, you may show them in.
有一位叫马丁太太的人 很有意思
Yes. You know, Mrs Martin, it’s very funny.
他们并不是我的朋友 还没见过我
They aren’t exactly friends of mine. They’ve never seen me.
– 很奇怪是吧? – 的确很奇怪
– That’s odd, isn’t it? – ‘Tis odd, like you say.
既然我在这里 我就要见他们
And now that I’m here, I’ll have to meet them.
甚至要出去见他们
I may even go out and meet them.
但现在还不是时候
And then again, I may not. Not yet.
你继续睡吧 我把窗布拉下来
You go ahead with your nap. I’ll pull down the blind.
你们知道什么? 你们只是在作势
What do you know? You’re bluffing. You’ve nothing on me.
邮局吗? 我要发一封电报…
Hello, Postal Union? I want to send a telegram
给加州圣罗莎的 约瑟夫.牛顿
to Mrs Joseph Newton in Santa Rosa, California.
下面是内容 准备好了吗?
Here’s the message. Ready?
很想念你们句号♥
Lonesome for you all. Stop.
我就来找你们句号♥
Am coming out to stay with you awhile. Stop.
周四到达 请来接我
Will arrive Thursday and try and stop me.
准确时间稍后告知
Will wire exact time later.
祝福所有人…
Love to you all…
并附上查利叔叔的吻 给小查莉
and a kiss for little Charlie from her Uncle Charlie.
没错签名就是查利叔叔
That’s right. That’s the signature. “Uncle Charlie. ”
是的圣罗莎
That’s right. Santa Rosa.
加州圣罗莎
Santa Rosa, California.
安妮听电♥话♥啊
Ann! Answer the telephone.
这里是牛顿家
Newton’s residence. Ann Newton speaking.
噢你好汉德森太太 我是安妮
Oh, hello, Mrs Henderson. This is Ann.
妈妈还没回家
Mother isn’t home yet.
电报?我…
A telegram? Well…
我找不到铅笔 还是等她回来吧
I don’t see a pencil, so maybe she better call you back.
我正努力使自己 专注一些…
I’m trying to keep my mind free of things that don’t matter…
因为我在思考许多问题
because I have so much to keep on my mind.
数不清的问题
Innumerable things.
我会告诉她回电的 谢谢你
I’ll have her call back. Thank you for calling.
再见
Goodbye.
安妮你妈妈呢?
Hello, Ann. Where’s your mother?
– 她出去了 – 出去了?
– She ‘ s out. – Out?
邮局的汉德森太太 刚刚打电♥话♥来的
Mrs Henderson just called from the Postal Union Office.
她说我们收到一封电报
She says we have a telegram.
我本可以记下来的 但我找不到铅笔
I would have taken it down, only I couldn’t find a pencil. I looked.
电报吗?
Telegram, eh?
我说过你们的萨拉阿姨 如果领到执照就有麻烦了
I knew there’d be trouble if your Aunt Sarah got her driver’s licence.
– 事故地点在哪里? – 我没有记下来
– Whereabouts was the accident? – I didn’t take notes.
噢那么来一个吻好吗?
Oh. Then how about a kiss?
那不是很有趣吗? 我是家里最特别的女孩…
Isn’t that the funniest thing? Here I am, practically a child
看一些你们都不看的书
and I wouldn’t read the things you read.
我想那些书 会给你带来恶梦的
Mm-hm. Well, I guess they’d give you bad dreams.
恶梦?爸爸你不明白 那些传说和神话…
Bad dreams? You don’t understand, Papa. Mystery stories have done –
– 罗杰呢? – 出去了还有人类的思想…
– Where’s Roger? – Out. The average mind –
– 查莉呢? – 她在房♥间里思考
– Where’s Charlie? – Out. No, she’s in her room thinking.
别看太多了 对你的眼睛不好
Well, don’t read too much. You’ll ruin your eyes.
别看我的书了 你在看什么?
And leave my book alone. What’s that you’re reading?
– 艾凡赫 – 噢
– Ivanhoe. – Hm? Oh.
– 是谁? – 是我
– Who is it? – It’s me.
怎么了? 不舒服吗?
What’s the matter? Don’t you feel well?
不我很好
No. I’m perfectly well.
我已经想了很久 然后得出结论我应该放弃
I’ve just been thinking for hours, and I’ve come to the conclusion I give up.
– 只能放弃 – 你要放弃什么?
– I simply give up. – What are you going to give up?
你认为家庭应该是 世界上最美好的事物吗?
Have you ever to thought that a family should be the most wonderful thing ever?
而我们的家庭正趋向分解
And that this family’s just gone to pieces?
– 是吗? – 当然是了
– We have? – Of course we have.
我们只是惯例地生活下去 那种惯例太可怕了
We just sort of go along and nothing happens. We’re in a terrible rut.
几个月前我已经在想了 我们的将来会是怎样?
It’s been on my mind for months. What’s going to be our future?
噢查莉别这样 事情不是那么糟糕的
Oh, come now, Charlie. Things aren’t as bad as that.
– 银行一月份已经 给我加薪了 – 钱
– The bank gave me a raise last January. – Money.
在我说心灵的时候 你怎么可以说到钱呢?
How can you talk about money when I’m talking about souls?
我们一起吃饭然后睡觉
We eat and sleep and that’s about all.
并没有真正的交流
We don’t even have any real conversations.
我们只是说话 还有工作
– We just talk. – And work.
可怜的妈妈 那么辛苦地工作
Yes. Poor Mother. She works like a dog.
– 就像一个佣人 – 她在哪里?
– Just like a dog. – Where is she?
她出去了 她回来了也是一样地工作
She’s out. When she comes back, it’ll be the same thing.
做晚餐洗碗然后睡觉 我不明白她怎么可以忍♥受
Dinner, then dishes, then bed. I don’t see how she stands it.
你知道她是一个很好的女人
You know, she’s really a wonderful woman.
她不仅仅是一个母亲 我们应该为她做些事情
I mean, she’s not just a mother. And I think we ought to do something for her.
– 你觉得应该吗? – 应该那你认为要做些什么呢?
– Don ‘ t you think we should? – Yeah. What were you thinking of?
噢我想不出什么
Oh, nothing, I suppose.
我想我们只能等待 奇迹出现了
I guess we’ll just have to wait for a miracle or something.
噢查莉你说得对
Oh, now, Charlie, you’re right. Absolutely right.
– 我会想办法… – 噢我不再相信什么好意愿了
– I’ll figure out some way – – I don’t believe in good intentions now.
– 我现在只是等待着奇迹 – 噢查莉
– All I’m waiting for now is a miracle. – Oh, Charlie.
后楼梯真陡啊
Those back stairs are steep.
怎么了查莉? 怎么了祖?
What’s the matter, Charlie? What’s the matter, Joe?
– 看来… – 噢我成了唠叨的老太婆了
– Well, it seems that, uh – – Oh, I’ve become a nagging old maid.
这帽子你答应会扔掉的 但你还戴着它进城里
You went downtown in that awful old hat you’d promised you’d throw away.
– 妈妈 – 亲爱的我戴什么 帽子有什么紧要吗?
– Mama. – Darling, does it matter what hat I wear?
– 妈妈 – 妈妈你怎么让 自己的孩子这样向你大喊呢?
– Mama. – Why do you let that child yell at you?
– 如果她… – 我反正都要下去的
– If she – – I’m going downstairs, anyway.
祖我进来的时候 你们在谈什么呢?
Joe, what were you both talking about when I came in?
谈奇迹的事情
Something about a miracle.
没什么的 查莉只是心情不太好
Oh, it’s nothing. Charlie ‘ s a bit under the weather.
她很快就会没事的
Oh. Well, she ‘ II be all right.
好了亲爱的快下去吧 不要站在这里
Well, come on, dear. Let’s go downstairs. No use standing here.
我去喝一瓶啤酒
I’m going to get myself a bottle of beer.
妈妈 我要去发一封电报
Mother, I’m going downtown and send a telegram.
为什么 你要发电报给谁?
Why, darling, who do you know to send a telegram to?
我知道谁可以来拯救我们
I know a wonderful person who’ll come and stir us up. Just the one to save us.
拯救我们?
What do you mean, “save us”?
现在就只有一个人可以做到
All this time, there’s been one right person to save us.
– 妈妈查理叔叔的地址是什么? – 查理叔叔?
– What’s Uncle Charlie’s address? – Uncle Charlie?
– 你不是去问他要钱吧? – 当然不是了
– You’re not going to ask him for money? – Of course not.
那对我们没帮助地址呢? 上次我放在…
That wouldn’t help us. What’s his address?
你们知道从药房♥那里…
– The last address I had – – Do you know how many steps it is
走回家要走多少步呢?
to get from here to the drugstore and back?
– 如果你忘记了, 我就不告诉你
– 6♥4♥9. – 6♥4♥9. – If you’ve forgotten, I won’t tell you.
– 我记起来了是费城
– I remember. Philadelphia.
– 你不能无缘无故地叫一个大忙人过来啊
You can’t ask a busy man to come all this way for nothing.
他会来的, 我的名字是因他而起的
He’ll come for me. I’m named after him.
此外, 我们是他唯一的亲戚
Besides, we’re the only relatives he has in the world.
如果从第四街走回来, 就是802步
If you come all the way up Fourth Street, it’s 802.
– 妈妈你猜猜? – 我没时间去猜
– Mama, guess what? – I have no time for guessing.
你头发上面的是什么?
What’s that thing in your hair?
我要告诉你的 要猜的话有趣一点
Well, I’ll tell you anyway, even though I think it’s nicer when people guess.
汉德森太太叫你打电♥话♥ 给邮局我们有一封电报
Mrs Henderson said to call her at the telegraph office. We have a telegram.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!